You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jonesyrules15

You can get better! I did.

36 comments in this topic

[WISCO]
[WISCO]
Members
209 posts
4,961 battles

A little over a year ago I looked at my stats.  I had played a little over 1K battles and my WR was at 50.1%.  I was surprised as I thought it would be higher.  I decided then that I wanted to make an effort to become a better player.  I started paying more attention to Ichase, no zoup, and notser videos on how to become better.  For me the single best piece of advice I found was truly paying attention to the mini map and situational awareness.  To make smarter decisions with where I position my ship (mainly BBs) and finally to really focus on aiming better also helped but the mini map and situational awareness were without a doubt the biggest factor.

My over WR has gone to 52.68.  My WR over the last 401 days is 54.91, and over the last 220 days is 57.68.  My survivability has also gone up about 5% from my overall total.  It still needs to be better and that is my next area of focus.  

Guess my point is.  if you truly want to become a better player and move your WR up.  It is possible.  It will take some work and study on your part but you can do it.

• Cool 19

[CUTER]
Members
699 posts
19,003 battles

Nice post, wish more peeps recognized that the best way to get better was through learning the game and then applying it in application/execution.

+1

[OPEC]
Members
945 posts
5,108 battles
7 minutes ago, Jonesyrules15 said:

A little over a year ago I looked at my stats.  I had played a little over 1K battles and my WR was at 50.1%.

Guess my point is.  if you truly want to become a better player and move your WR up.  It is possible.  It will take some work and study on your part but you can do it.

Your win rate trend is very similar to mine - 50.39% at about 1,000 games.  I think it takes that many games for an average player to start to put the pieces together playing solo...

WinRate_delp5117.JPG

• Cool 1

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,789 battles

Well done, @Jonesyrules15. It is certainly good to hear this perspective.

All too often, I feel that there is an undercurrent of people who want to validate each other's stale gameplay opposed to asking the honest question of "How do I improve?". Good for you! I'd be happy to division with you any time and hope to see you on the green side.

Should I see you on the red side, I will respectfully press 'F3' (that is a compliment).

Happy hunting!

• Cool 1

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,751 battles

Nice work, OP!

I was in the same situation about 1500 games in, maybe even worse. It's taken a long time for me to get the ship turned around (pun intended).

[SYN]
Members
345 posts
6,163 battles

Congratulations!  I've been on a similar journey, and it's both challenging and rewarding.  Keeping an eye on my stats has been helpful and made the game more enjoyable for me.

Edited by MikeLWX
  • Cool 1

[WISCO]
[WISCO]
Members
209 posts
4,961 battles
5 minutes ago, MikeLWX said:

Congratulations!  I've been on a similar journey, and it's both challenging and rewarding.  Keeping an eye on my stats has been helpful and made the game more enjoyable for me.

Same here.  I know there are people who think stats are a bad thing in a way.  But for me it has been overall enjoyable watching them slowly tick up and improve.  I'm not where I want to be yet but I see the possibility of getting there.

28 minutes ago, KongoPride said:

Nice post, wish more peeps recognized that the best way to get better was through learning the game and then applying it in application/execution.

+1

Thanks.  It was kind of shocking and disappointing when I saw I was at 50.1%.  I really do think if people put a bit of study time in and truly focus on weak areas of their game they will see improvement.  And as I said it has only increased my enjoyment I get from this game. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,842 posts
1,328 battles

I'm at about 500 games myself, and while my WR isn't moving much right now, the other pieces are moving in positive directions most of the time.  I think of I'm learning all the other pieces so that I can influence WR better.

[MKF]
Members
410 posts
15,098 battles

Congrats and keep at it. I found myself becoming a better player once I played all different ship types... gave me better perspective on how to counter them

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles

To be blunt. Notser probably isn't someone you should devote time to watching if you want to learn. He unintentionally spreads misinformation and seems very biased with hate toward WG.

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles
26 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Still waiting to get better.  Seem to hover below the 50% threshold. 

That's your problem, if you wait to get better you never will. It will take some effort and work on your part. Skill doesn't grow on trees. 

[WISCO]
[WISCO]
Members
209 posts
4,961 battles
16 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

To be blunt. Notser probably isn't someone you should devote time to watching if you want to learn. He unintentionally spreads misinformation and seems very biased with hate toward WG.

Perhaps.  I did place them in order of importance.  Ichase I found to be most helpful overall.  I have recently started watching flamu 

13 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

That's your problem, if you wait to get better you never will. It will take some effort and work on your part. Skill doesn't grow on trees. 

I agree with this.  It took active participation and effort on my part.  It did not just come.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,721 battles

Takes brains and effort. Who would have thought? 

Kinda like fat people clueless about the concept of proper diet and exercise. 

[VVV]
Members
341 posts
28 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

Have you made better videos? Please link. There isn't much of a choice for world of ships videos, we pretty much get a british guy giggling and talking about history, notser, someone dodging torpedoes to techno music and someone constantly calling everyone around him a vegetable (potato)

[ANCHR]
Members
3 posts
1,640 battles
3 hours ago, Jonesyrules15 said:

I know there are people who think stats are a bad thing in a way

I am one such person. Please allow me to present my case. Supposedly the matchmaker weighs only ship tier for matchmaking. Therefore, stats mean nothing except a club with which players with higher stats can abuse players with lower stats. I'll come back to the reason I say "supposedly in a moment.

Another reason stats are bad is they dont cover all relevant metrics. They neither show, nor compensate for poor rigs which crash in battle every other match. They neither show nor compensate for poor connections with high pings and/or low FPS. All of these effect a player's effectiveness in any given battle, yet no exceptions are made to account for those situations. Therefore, a player like me, who runs a Celeron rig with only onboard graphics and crashes often will NEVER have stats which are up to his true skill level.

I say supposedly MM only weighs teirs, because I have seen credible posts on WoT forums saying that WGA Devs have admitted that they actually use stats to stack the deck, making players with mediocre or less stats (check 1 for me), players who never pay to play (check 2 for me), and players who are not in "the right" clans (check 3 for me) "XP Food" for players without those checks. While this accusation is specific to WoT, I've seen no evidence that WoWS is run any differently and rather convincing evidence that it is run very similarly, if not the same way.

So because my stats are suppressed by my rig, and allegedly further suppressed by a negative MM bias, my stats are NOT a TRUE gauge of my quality of play. And yet, there are NUMEROUS arrogant, elitst, "statwhore" anuses who treat me not only as a crap player, but as a subhuman based solely on my stats. How can ANYONE make a case that this is a good thing?

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles
2 hours ago, gloom13 said:

Have you made better videos? Please link. There isn't much of a choice for world of ships videos, we pretty much get a british guy giggling and talking about history, notser, someone dodging torpedoes to techno music and someone constantly calling everyone around him a vegetable (potato)

I don't have to make videos to be able to give my thoughts on work that exists. The only assistance I provide to this community is one-on-one play if they should ask, and what I say on these forums. The fact that you really only mention the big names as options tells me that you are basing instructive content value on their popularity. There are plenty of people that make videos and talk about the game that are not popular that probably have some nuggets of information.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,734 posts
3,490 battles

Congrats good sir. Pretty soon you'll be accused of being a try hardelitest, especially if you join a clan. :Smile_honoring:

It is a light burden to bear putting forth 100% effort at something you enjoy. :Smile-_tongue:

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
5 hours ago, Jonesyrules15 said:

A little over a year ago I looked at my stats.  I had played a little over 1K battles and my WR was at 50.1%.  I was surprised as I thought it would be higher.  I decided then that I wanted to make an effort to become a better player.  I started paying more attention to Ichase, no zoup, and notser videos on how to become better.  For me the single best piece of advice I found was truly paying attention to the mini map and situational awareness.  To make smarter decisions with where I position my ship (mainly BBs) and finally to really focus on aiming better also helped but the mini map and situational awareness were without a doubt the biggest factor.

My over WR has gone to 52.68.  My WR over the last 401 days is 54.91, and over the last 220 days is 57.68.  My survivability has also gone up about 5% from my overall total.  It still needs to be better and that is my next area of focus.  

kEhJgEs.gif

Members
416 posts

Glad you had a goal and accomplished it. I don't put much stock in win rates, since there is so much that goes on in the game that simply being on the winning team doesn't tell you. The Personal Rating (PR) from wows-numbers.com is probably a better stat to use, as it takes into account other things that you can control, such as damage and kill.

I managed a goose egg on my WR today in my Tirpitz, but was consistently in the top 3 in terms of XP. If the DDs want to chase down a fleeing BB rather than cap, if the cruisers neglect to hunt down the DDs, or if the BBs sail broadside into walls of torps, that makes your WR take a nose dive.

Most YouTube videos seem to be about whining lately. Flamu did one in which he walked you through his thought process in a Farragut, and that's probably the best one he's done so far.

A good idea for new players is to figure out what you aren't supposed to do - YOLO, sit in smoke, sail broadside - and make an effort to stop doing that. Review what you did post game.

I've still got a ways to go, but, like you OP, I want to get better too.

[INTEL]
Members
796 posts
8,274 battles
1 hour ago, EdwardNimitz said:

I am one such person. Please allow me to present my case. Supposedly the matchmaker weighs only ship tier for matchmaking. Therefore, stats mean nothing except a club with which players with higher stats can abuse players with lower stats. I'll come back to the reason I say "supposedly in a moment.

Another reason stats are bad is they dont cover all relevant metrics. They neither show, nor compensate for poor rigs which crash in battle every other match. They neither show nor compensate for poor connections with high pings and/or low FPS. All of these effect a player's effectiveness in any given battle, yet no exceptions are made to account for those situations. Therefore, a player like me, who runs a Celeron rig with only onboard graphics and crashes often will NEVER have stats which are up to his true skill level.

I say supposedly MM only weighs teirs, because I have seen credible posts on WoT forums saying that WGA Devs have admitted that they actually use stats to stack the deck, making players with mediocre or less stats (check 1 for me), players who never pay to play (check 2 for me), and players who are not in "the right" clans (check 3 for me) "XP Food" for players without those checks. While this accusation is specific to WoT, I've seen no evidence that WoWS is run any differently and rather convincing evidence that it is run very similarly, if not the same way.

So because my stats are suppressed by my rig, and allegedly further suppressed by a negative MM bias, my stats are NOT a TRUE gauge of my quality of play. And yet, there are NUMEROUS arrogant, elitst, "statwhore" anuses who treat me not only as a crap player, but as a subhuman based solely on my stats. How can ANYONE make a case that this is a good thing?

Totally disagree with your statement about your rig. If your game is crashing because your rig isn't capable of stable play then your resulting negative stats are earned. A team needs you to be in game and playing as well as you're capable. You're not in game, you're a drag on the team. Also not going for the MM bias although sometimes I think the MM is biased against certain ships. My Yorck, for example, has been part of more Roflstomp losses than any other 3 ships combined in my port. Stats aren't the reason you get treated like crap. Some people are simply Jack***'s, add the anonymity of a computer and they will proceed to prove it.

On the subject of the thread. I'm under no illusion about my abilities but one thing I know for sure is the faster you die the less your positive influence on the game, usually.  My survival rate is well above average and likely the primary reason my win rate is over 50%. A decent percentage of my wins have been because I was still alive to spot or reset a cap even when it was an otherwise off game. So many ROFLstomps occur because multiple players decided a Yolo rush was a good idea early in a match. We've all been part of those matches where every green DD is dead inside 2 minutes.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles
6 hours ago, Jonesyrules15 said:

Nice one, myself I don’t pay much attention to winrates but am on the same journey of getting better and its interesting how you develop good habits of angling your ship, situational awarness that kind of thing without thinking about it... good post

your a model for us all

[VVV]
Members
341 posts
7 hours ago, Pulicat said:

I don't have to make videos to be able to give my thoughts on work that exists. The only assistance I provide to this community is one-on-one play if they should ask, and what I say on these forums. The fact that you really only mention the big names as options tells me that you are basing instructive content value on their popularity. There are plenty of people that make videos and talk about the game that are not popular that probably have some nuggets of information.

The "big names" is how 99% of the people in this game that bother to learn anything do learn. There is little to chose from, out of what exists, Notsers info is far from the worst and is better than nothing. If you have better material provide it, if you know of better material that is not yours link it. Provide an alternative, or accept that people will learn from whats available. 

And no, someone somewhere you are not sure where  "that probably have some nuggets of information" is not an alternative.

Edited by gloom13