You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BurglarOfBanff_ff

How much damage should be expected

24 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
301 posts
1,806 battles

How much damage should be expected in a battle?  In WoT generally you are expected to do at least you own hit points in damage.  That seems a little off for WoWs.

Taking Tier 5 as an example BBs average about 45,000 hit points, CL/CA about 25,000 and DDs about 11000.  I play mostly DDs and getting 11000 damage does not seem like my fair share.

Maybe it should be the average hit points of all the ships in battle?  If there were the same number of BB, CA/CL and DD in tier 5 that would be about 27,000 hit points average.  Does that seem like a reasonable amount of damage for an average T5 DD player to do?

Would BBs be expected to average more damage than CA/CL which would average more than DDs?  Or should they all be about the same?

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

If you look at both sides as a total of the HP pools of all their ships, then doing more than your HP in damage essentially means you hurt the enemy more than they hurt your team by sinking you.

Now in reality, yeah, it's more complex than that, but then you get into a whole lot of highly situational debate. Is someone that plinks away with tiny guns against an angled BB and does nearly no damage BUT keeps the enemy from capping your base more or less valuable than someone that does a bunch of damage but ignores every other mechanic of the game? I think I know where most of us would fall on that question, but I'm also sure it would be most and not all in agreement. 

Personally, I do shoot for doing more damage than my HP total. I've been CV deleted in higher tier BBs here and there before I could do that, so it's a reasonable expectation that's not /always/ possible to attain. I think it works as a good "PAR" goal. Not extraordinary work, but probably wasn't dragging the team down either. Probably. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
301 posts
1,806 battles

Excluding premiums, for Tier 5 it looks like BBs do about 40k, CA/CL about 25k and DDs about 18k.

As mentioned, I play mostly DDs and 18k for T5 seemed low.  Maybe DDs do enough other things to contribute.

[PSP]
Members
6,251 posts
8,888 battles

Damage isn't all about the ship type. Notice that the Flint has has a high average damage. In another thread, we are discussing the meaning of the word "meta." What is the meta behind why the Flint deals out so much damage? Is it because the ship, itself is so good? Or is it because in order to obtain the Flint, you have to reach a #1 rank several times and thus might be a bit better than the average player? 

Top Ships (All)

Icon Name Battles WR ▼ Sh☠ Pl☠ Dmg
PASC707.png Flint 31,607 66.00% 1.4 4.6 58,193
Edited by Snargfargle

[SEP]
Members
3,723 posts
14,979 battles

Keep in mind that not all damage is equal. 30K damage to DDs is huge while 30K dmg to BBs is laughably low. Then you have penetration damage, citadel damage, fire damage + flooding damage, torpedo damage, etc. You are supposed to eliminate targets and accumulate points until you win. If the game calls for 250K damage in order to win you have to do it, it it calls for "cap and run" then you do that.  etc.

• Cool 2

[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,372 battles

I always look at it from the point of doing damage at least equal to my ships health.  That way I have "eliminated" my equivalent, even though that may not be totally true.  I hope that everyone else on my team can do at least more than their health.  In theory, if everyone does more damage than their health value, you should be on a winning team.  We do know that ships that die early will do less damage, so others need to make up for that, but doing your own health in damage at least doesn't pull the team down.  For DDs, ther are other aspect besides damage, such as spotting or capping, so a small health pool combined with a small damage output, still is viable if played properly.  If I do a lot more damage than my health value, then there is a significant increase in our teams ability to win.  But not always it turns out.   LOL.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles
40 minutes ago, BurglarOfBanff_ff said:

How much damage should be expected in a battle?  In WoT generally you are expected to do at least you own hit points in damage.  That seems a little off for WoWs.

That's because aiming and damage mechanics are much different between the two games.

In WoT, RNG is an incredibly significant factor in if you hit, as well as how much damage you deal per shot.

In WoWS, RNG is much less involved in hitting by the time you get to Tier 7 (excluding German BBs), and is not-at-all involved in how much damage you deal.

Damage dealt in WoWS is determined by hit location and gun characteristics. Your shell has a certain maximum damage potential that is reduced based on how you hit: regular penetrations deal 33%, Overpenetrations deal 10%, and Citadel hits deal a full 100%. At least, that's how it works for AP.

I find that I always "shoot" for more than 70k at Tiers 7-8, 80K at Tier 9, and 90K at Tier 10.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,448 posts
8,096 battles

How I look at it -

Minimum - HP of your ship. At the very least deal as much damage to the enemy team as they have to deal to you to knock you out.

Ideally - the same or more than the average of the ship.

Best - 100k+ though obviously a bit less in lower tiers where that would be basically sinking every ship.

But above all else, focus on he objective. Damage is good, but if you manage only 3k, but cap all the points, keep things spotted and help in that way regardless to win the game, don't think your team is going to complain. 

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
699 posts
19,003 battles
1 hour ago, BurglarOfBanff_ff said:

Excluding premiums, for Tier 5 it looks like BBs do about 40k, CA/CL about 25k and DDs about 18k.

As mentioned, I play mostly DDs and 18k for T5 seemed low.  Maybe DDs do enough other things to contribute.

DDs cap, spot, and provide a plethora of other in game facets such as area denial found in the torpedo threat and ability to hold an entire flank at bay or at least stall it long enough for the rest of the team to respond.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,251 posts
8,888 battles
53 minutes ago, KongoPride said:

DDs cap, spot, and provide a plethora of other in game facets such as area denial found in the torpedo threat and ability to hold an entire flank at bay or at least stall it long enough for the rest of the team to respond.

I've spent an entire game remaining hidden but keeping the enemy ships spotted and corralled into the fire zone (due to their turning back from my torpedo spreads), only to have someone tell me that I sucked because I didn't do much damage.

Far too often, DD players will smoke up and then sit in the smoke, leaving the team blind, while the enemy team merrily decimates you because their DD smoked up but then left the smoke to spot.

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles
2 hours ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

No joke 0.

You try keeping your sanity in this game right now.

if i can reach blue stats with 0 effort, 0 research outside the game, that would indicate the player base as a whole is awful.

it would also explain why i see some people with 70+% WRs

Beta Testers
301 posts
1,806 battles

I'm thinking also that it matter a lot where you inflict the damage.  Killing a DD for 11K HP is way more valuable than damaging a BB for 11K.

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles
20 minutes ago, BurglarOfBanff_ff said:

I'm thinking also that it matter a lot where you inflict the damage.  Killing a DD for 11K HP is way more valuable than damaging a BB for 11K.

this

damage is a bad measure really, yet it is favored in WTR.

It'd better average little damage and put it in DDs, than pad 65K in BBs. also, as a DD, damage is secondary. Spotting and smoking win games.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,186 battles

What I do is I use my own average damage per battle as a minimum performance threshold for myself. My average is about 60k ATM and still climbing, so I always hold myself to a minimum performance that is constantly growing 

Members
1,936 posts

I'm playing CVs now and have decided to make DDs and the enemy CVs planes my first priorities. 

Therefore any yuuge damage numbers (if any) are farmed in late/garbage tine.

I'm  ok with this because I believe it helps win more, even if it makes me a pleb according to le stat sites

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles

At t10 I'm not happy if I don't do at least 130k

Beta Testers
1,304 posts
6,543 battles

Average numbers don't mean much.  Sure there might be an average, but damage on DDs is worth much more than damage on BBs.  Do what wins games.
My personal rule of thumb for damage:
Do at least enough to kill 1 same tier enemy ship

Doesn't have to be the same ship.  Take 50% off two enemy cruisers if you want.  Take half off a DD and half off a cruiser.  BB damage is worth less though because of heals however.
Note:  This is the floor.  Less than this and you're simply not pulling your weight -  and as the game drags on you should naturally have more than this.  If you're one of the last ships alive and you only have done 1 kill worth of damage, you were probably really out of position.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,186 battles
17 hours ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

No joke 0.

You try keeping your sanity in this game right now.

201C99B3-F8F6-4BDF-9B70-D7776E555F6C.jpeg

[SYN]
Members
14,451 posts
10,440 battles

Well, there are at least 2 ways of thinking about it.

• You set your bar high to keep your motivation going, because you like the challenge of a difficult goal
  • You set your bar low to keep your motivation going, because you are pleased you are consistently achieving your goal
  • Cool 1

Members
566 posts
1,461 battles

Damage would vary with the ship type and nationality but the broadest form of an expected damage output would be scoring around or above the server average. 

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles

Win rate is the stat that matters in this game, but damage (along with other stats) can show you what you might do or not do to improve. You really need to keep it in context; a match where you did 20k against DDs is great, but one where you do 20k against BBs is horrible. 

Basically, if you are winning more and losing over a large number of matches, then you are doing okay.

DDs in particular can have great games with very littl damage, or they might kill 3 BBs from full health.