SuperNikoPower

Contest Frequency on the Forums

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

Contest Frequency   83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the frequency of Forum contests per month?

• Too Many Overall
    • Too Many With Not Enough Variation
    • Just Right But Needs More Variation
    • Just Fine As It Is
    • Needs More

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 posts in this topic

@SuperNikoPower,

I think more in-game contests would be nice, similar to the 'How many Citadels can you get' challenge recently.

The artistic contests are cool, and kudos to those that participate (y'all come up with some wicked good work), but they aren't for me.  Maybe 20 years ago I would've done some, but my spare time is usually spent playing, if nothing else is going on.

Otherwise, I like that you do these contests, so even if nothing changes, keep up the good work!

B

As a suggestion, the staff must be 100% objective when choosing a winner, since in the last competitions they have only demonstrated that in order to win, it is necessary to ponder something with thematic USA ... For example:

That "design a port" contest in which the winner was the guy who put a picture of the USS Arizona memorial ... I had no creativity to win a contest just by uploading a simple photo of the memorial and saying: "Let this be an ingame port "... Please ... Are you joking? there were many very good and best designs where they were creative and did not need to download a downloaded "google images", the truth is that I stop believing in the competitions organized by Nikopower for this reason, lack objectivity to choose a winner, but this is only my opinion.

I think I speak for many and I will say no more, many contests end up fatal, that is to say there are entries of X contest that are very deserving for the time and dedication that are given the project that will be presented and the judges choose the first crap that come or (do not take the personal judges) but it is so, a souvenir the port contest, there were many tickets that were too good and the first place they give it to a boy who made a draft of the Arizona memorial thing that he drawing was at the height of a child of 5 years, and what I go is that they should judge differently and not the one they perform for what they won on several occasions admits that some of my entries in contests were bad compared to others and win.

As far as "objective" judging goes: why not let participants/forum users vote on winners instead?

Edited by pikohan

I participated in many contests and even won a few in the past. I stopped entering them a few months ago for a few reasons. First, there were indeed too many of them. I entered mostly the creative contests and when I did, I actually aimed to win something. By that, I'm saying that I spend a lot of time researching a good subject and work many hours making something I would be proud of and that I thought would have a chance of winning. When I'm working on a contest, I am not playing the game or doing anything else for a few days. So this can really burn me out when there are contests every 2-3 weeks. Or art contests anyway, as I'm not really entering the other ones.

This bring me to my second point. Since I put many hours working on my submissions, I must say that a few times I was disappointed with the judging. To a point where I didn't know what constituted a good entry. Was it just having a good idea? Was it the art quality? I have no idea. I am still a little disappointed with some contests that I think I had a quality entry and some lower quality ones won, but I didn't. This is also true for some other entries that I thought were very good and didn't end up winning either. I know full well that not all my entries should win and what I think may be good, may actually not be that good. However, several weird judging in a row made me not want to "waste" hours making something that will not win to a 5 minutes mspaint art piece. I also am still a little salty about one contest in particular where the judging was a little sketchy. I don't want to go into detail about that specific contest, but I didn't like the judging process in two phase.

All this said however, I do think the variety of contest is nice. There are many types of contests: drawing, building, ingame performance, ship design, creative stuff like the chinese shadow one, etc. I think there's something for anyone that feels like spending the time to enter. I also think the prizes are fairly good. There's usually a very good first prize that gives a good incentive to enter.

The current contest frequency is great. But recently, a majority of the contests have been creative contests with big ship rewards. 

I feel that if there was a wider variety of contests with smaller prizes for more winners, it would encourage more players to participate. This would especially be the case if the entry requirements were simpler and less demanding. There's nothing more discouraging than investing a decent amount of physical materials and craftsmanship into a creative project, and not winning anything for that investment.

I was honored to win the 2016 holiday ornament contest last year and check this forum at least twice a week. I love that this game reaches out to it's players in more ways then just in game, and these contests are excellent ways to do it. I do feel that more then not, the contests lean to the computer savvy players that know how to make cool graphic designs from programs they have downloaded. I do not have much experience in this field and I know many others don't as well. That leaves me waiting for a contest that involves hands on crafts, or drawings (even though I'm not the best artist). I would definitely try for the Birthday cake contest, but I already have the Texas. Maybe personalize the prizes to the contests making them much more sought after. That would increase entries for sure.

Did not see anything about former winners... depending on how often you were to give away ships/premium time, the "expensive" prizes, I would institute a policy along the lines of "If you have received a ship from us in the past XXX days as the result of a contest you are not eligible for the current contest." This would alleviate the issues of the same players winning the damage/hits (ship performance) type of contests.  

It might also be kind of slick - if at all possible - to give away free XP so a player could utilize it towards the grind of their next ship on the tech tree. What's a 100K in free Xp value? Substantial? 

I definitely like the suggestion earlier in the thread about participation prizes. Play X number of games in this particular ship to be entered into a random giveaway. Such contests could increase online player counts. Might want to qualify them for the slower days of the week instead of just weekends? And WoWS/WG might be able to modify the rewards for in-game missions by including small perks for visiting/participating in the forums? Maybe? Might be hard to track/prove. 

I have no problem with the art contests, but I am not artistic and therefore do not participate.  I did submit an ornament a couple of years ago...that was quite a reach for me :Smile_teethhappy:.

I have no problem with the damage contests, but I am not unicum enough to win or even place (I think I did place once with a freakishly good game for me).  These are complicated now that some low-life players have figured out how to rig divisions for a better chance.

Although it wasn't really a contest per se, I had fun with the PAX MARBLEHEAD challenge...sink a player and claim the first letter of his name.  Get enough to spell PAX MARBLEHEAD and win a prize (Co-op counted, and initially you needed two separate E's and three separate A's).

I love seeing that you have contests on the forum...I just haven't seen many I can be competitive in.

3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

"If you have received a ship from us in the past XXX days as the result of a contest you are not eligible for the current contest

This should definitely be a rule.

18 hours ago, MajorRenegade said:

I believe you should add the forum contests to the news feed on the launcher and in game. This way it will bring in more people

This:cap_rambo:.

Premium Ship prizes don't entice me much since I buy them all,  (except Okhotnik which I didn't have the cake for at the time, please put it in the tech tree ships for doubloons) Gremy, Nikolai, Kitikami would entice me, even if I didn't think I could win because there is no other way to get them. I would love to have the doubloons for winning a premium ship, however I don't enter because I would rather that someone that couldn't afford a premium ship got the prize (if I already have it that is). Some people never go to the "Contests And In-Game Competitions" post the Competitions in the "General Discussions" section too. Post them on Facebook and Redit also (Make links to the forum for the info though). I tend not to enter the creative contests because of time constraints. The damage in game contests were great fun until they were taken advantage of (One bad apple ruins the whole pie). Advertising is the main thing though.

Oops again.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

i think the biggest hamper to participation numbers is knowledge of the competition, as people have already said. a link on the portal would do wonders.

i'm pretty sure this has also been mentioned, but the lack of possible rewards in favor of only a few big rewards also puts a damper on any hopes of winning, causing people to give up before they start. give the winner something good, for sure. but don't forget to encourage people to keep entering with shiny trinkets.

for the art contests, it would go a long way if you let the forumites vote on the winners, rather than just outright picking one. give yourselves votes too, of course, even make them worth more. but the feeling that we're being included would go a long way, like the way big televised singing/talent competitions let the population vote on the winners. it drastically improves their viewer numbers, and it could help with retention numbers here.

for me personally, i've been waiting for more in game competitions. the last one was a month ago, and seemed to only cater to those with all the time in the world. before that, i can't remember the last one.

as a side note, if you do an in game competition for T6+, would it be possible to include the premium camo for the ship used in the contest as some of the possible (higher placement) rewards? earning premium camo is something that personally gets me motivated. hoping i'm not alone in that. not that doubloons don't. i'm just throwing it out there.

Alright, even though this poll is still running, I'm going to try and address some of the concerns. 

1: Judging Winners - We do our best to be as objective as possible. There isn't only one person choosing winners. Sometimes there are 3 while other times there are 10. As mentioned previously, we don't choose winners by favoring a certain nation. It is in fact based on the exact criteria laid out in the rules. We also understand that not everyone will agree with the winners. This happens in every contest no matter who is putting it on or what the creative part of the contest consists of. 

2: Community Judging - So, we gave this a shot a while back when I first joined the Ships team. We noticed that voting became a bit of a popularity contest. The winner of the first contest was highly valued in the community and received more than 60% of the overall vote. This compares to a lower winner with a better entry but wasn't as high on the popularity scale. He received just 4% of the vote. This is actually why a lot of people who run contests don't do community vote.

3: In Game Competitions - I totally hear you guys on the Damage and XP contests. That is why we recently changed up how we run them and what is involved. Instead of jumping in and farming for these two things, we looked at it and made it objective based anyways. While the barrier of entry is a bit higher by having to get tougher achievements and ribbons, it offers a variation that falls in line with the feedback we've been getting from you all. I may have also brought that idea over from when we ran the WoT Blitz Hall of Fame format. I will be trying these a few more times and maybe we will have a Hall of Fame of our own. Stay tuned as I mess with this some more. 

4: Prizes - You guys are totally right about prizes being too big and not enough people winning even smaller prizes. Giving out ships like we have been makes them not as special as they would be if we did it during new ship releases. Also, some people do buy all the ships or at least a lot of them. So they get stuck with doubloons they can't currently spend. I have been doing a lot of calculations and planning to change this. I've come up with 3 different ideas that I'll share with you all as we get into future contests. It does involve smaller prizes that are more spread out, more in game consumables (economical), still ships but in smaller batches, and even random draws. So keep an eye out. 

5: Contest Variations - This is where is gets tricky. As you guys know, I am always trying to come up with new ideas that we haven't done here on Ships and possibly anywhere else. As you know, eventually, things start to circle back. There are really only 5 different types of contests that you can run with varying themes. You have in game competitions, physical builds, player fan art, "design a _____" contests, and writing contests. We could also add video contests as well but for some, that is tough to do and creates a high barrier of entry. I do have some different ideas that I need to work on rule sets for. Those will come early next year. So please hang with me. 

I know I didn't address every question or concern in this response but I will probably do one more round here closer to the weekend. 

Hi @SuperNikoPower, I haven't participated in some of the last contests mostly due to lack of time, I usually participate in contests where I like the prize and when I come up with an idea that I find interesting to participate (on creative contests).

I don't have artistic skills but when I won an art contest I think my idea has been valued more than the technical quality of my entrie, which I thank you for :Smile_Default:.

As far as prizes are concerned, the system that I like the most is when I can choose the prize (of course with the restrictions of ships that aren't usually given as prizes), for example a ship Tier 8 or lower, I know this adds an extra work for you by contacting the winners to be told what they want for prize but to my liking is the best kind of prizes. I'm also interested in the idea that all the entries should be rewarded as they did with the Corgi Flag (I want one!) or that additional prizes should be drawn among the non-winning entries.

As far as the variety is concerned, I like contests such as the shadow or the New York camouflage contest (even though I participated in it I don't have the camouflage because I didn't have the New York even in the extended period in which it was resubmitted) and also what was mentioned about the Marblehead (I lost it because I didn't participate in the Forums at that time) I find as a interesting option.

Greetings.
Edited by ELDIFERENTE

I don't participate much in the art contests as A. I don't have a camera to take photos of stuff I build and B. I can't even draw a respectable stick figure. I love the ingame contests since they give me an opportunity to try something new, to test my skills in a specific area. The Fiji Citadels contest and the KGV Fires contest were perfect - I loved those! It motivated me to play to the KGV, and then when I got there I basically ground all the way to Monarch by playing the contest.

Small consolation prizes, even as low as a day of premium, or a few hundred doubloons, or 10 special economics flags... these would motivate me to work hard for any ingame contests you run. :) The only real complaint I have is that the art contests happen way more often than the ingame ones - if we're all here to play World of Warships, then that's what I'd like to do! :P

--IronDuke

1 hour ago, IronDuke17 said:

I love the ingame contests since they give me an opportunity to try something new, to test my skills in a specific area. The Fiji Citadels contest and the KGV Fires contest were perfect - I loved those! It motivated me to play to the KGV, and then when I got there I basically ground all the way to Monarch by playing the contest.

This is exactly why I changed it up. I wanted to see what would happen if I made it all objective based instead of score based. It is still being perfected this but it seems to be working out based on feedback I've received. 

i would like to get into more contests but im not artistic,dont know cg.and not the best player.i do play daily i have 10 premium ships.but would like to win more lol   make contests easier for not so great players.

When it comes to contest I agree with most that every month is fine as it's not to much, not to little. A lot of people have put their thoughts in, so I'll add mine to this as well.

1. Prizes- For prizes I don't think having a big prize is a bad thing; however, I think there should be consolation prizes to award others hard work who didn't win. The main prize perhaps be for the 1st-3rd-5th places depending on the challenge and how many participants as you do them now. With consolation prizes for the next 5-10 high quality submissions. The consolation prize should be what you've done in the past. So they might not get a ship, but they may get a week premium, or 1,000 doubloons. This way even if someone isn't the best at say art for example, they won't be turned away from trying to get a lower prize. What turns some people off is they see its an art challenge, and then they see others who are amazing at art. While they still can win, the likely hood of that, and the amount of time and effort to something where its either all win or nothing will turn some away. Also regarding the consolation prize, it shouldn't be to big, but not to small. It should be enough to entice people to put in hard work, but not over the top. A writing contest for example might give around 300 doubloons, or 3 days premium time. A large art contest might award 1,000 doubloons, or a week premium time as stated above.

2. Contest Variation-For other contest I like the ones you've been doing. Perhaps for some writing contest you could try write a story, or do research on something that interest you about warships. Awhile back I did a post of some research I did, got a bit too busy to continue making them like I wanted to: 

A research project like that perhaps, maybe not as in depth to keep thing shorter for contest. Also a fictional story contest would be fun. For example, a spooky ghost tale involving warships (Not the game but IRL warships). Also perhaps some sort of guide. I remember the first contest I did was a battleship guide. You had to pick a map, and a battle mode. You'd make suggestions on where the battleship should go, and tactics for them. Now this was when the game originally came out, so not sure if you would still have use for this contest. However, you could let people pick a ship, map, gamemode, and write a guide on it. 

Art contest are fun, but not everyone is art talented. Consolation prizes would help get people into trying these out more.

Ingame contest, I think the way you're doing them is working out good. You could always do something similar to the PAX Marblehead one you did awhile ago.

3. Picking winners- For winners, perhaps if someone already has the main prize, they can get a consolation prize but not the main prize. If someone wins a contest they should be allowed to compete in the next one as well though. Personally I do prefer Wargaming judging rather than the community. You were dead on with the popularity contest. Not that I've seen that on World of Warships, but contest in real life it's a problem. 

i love the contest cause it gives me a chance to win a nice looking ship but also because you get to have the community all come together and show off all of our talents :D its fun i think maybe a little more variation i guess and it would do the trick, or maybe some more info to spread around, to everyone in the community!!!!!!!!  

More contests that reward skill would be nice.

Something like "highest average damage with ship X over a week with at least 10 games"

7 hours ago, SuperNikoPower said:

Alright, even though this poll is still running, I'm going to try and address some of the concerns. 

1: Judging Winners - We do our best to be as objective as possible. There isn't only one person choosing winners. Sometimes there are 3 while other times there are 10. As mentioned previously, we don't choose winners by favoring a certain nation. It is in fact based on the exact criteria laid out in the rules. We also understand that not everyone will agree with the winners. This happens in every contest no matter who is putting it on or what the creative part of the contest consists of. 

3: In Game Competitions - I totally hear you guys on the Damage and XP contests. That is why we recently changed up how we run them and what is involved. Instead of jumping in and farming for these two things, we looked at it and made it objective based anyways. While the barrier of entry is a bit higher by having to get tougher achievements and ribbons, it offers a variation that falls in line with the feedback we've been getting from you all. I may have also brought that idea over from when we ran the WoT Blitz Hall of Fame format. I will be trying these a few more times and maybe we will have a Hall of Fame of our own. Stay tuned as I mess with this some more. 

4: Prizes - You guys are totally right about prizes being too big and not enough people winning even smaller prizes. Giving out ships like we have been makes them not as special as they would be if we did it during new ship releases. Also, some people do buy all the ships or at least a lot of them. So they get stuck with doubloons they can't currently spend. I have been doing a lot of calculations and planning to change this. I've come up with 3 different ideas that I'll share with you all as we get into future contests. It does involve smaller prizes that are more spread out, more in game consumables (economical), still ships but in smaller batches, and even random draws. So keep an eye out. 

5: Contest Variations - This is where is gets tricky. As you guys know, I am always trying to come up with new ideas that we haven't done here on Ships and possibly anywhere else. As you know, eventually, things start to circle back. There are really only 5 different types of contests that you can run with varying themes. You have in game competitions, physical builds, player fan art, "design a _____" contests, and writing contests. We could also add video contests as well but for some, that is tough to do and creates a high barrier of entry. I do have some different ideas that I need to work on rule sets for. Those will come early next year. So please hang with me. 

I know I didn't address every question or concern in this response but I will probably do one more round here closer to the weekend. 

1. I do think that most of us get that judging, no matter what, is somewhat subjective, hence why not everyone agrees. Like I said in my post, it sometimes feel "Quality" is weighted more than "creativity" and "subject", which can be a turn off. Us 2D artists, and those that may not be as skilled at art and end up doing 2D, aren't gonna see a point if it seems like no matter what 3D CGI is going to win. Though some of this does come down to rules as well as to at times why some of us disagree with winners because sometimes it seems at best they are in a very grey area or just outside them.

3. Problem is, KGV setting fires, Fiji Citadel's - these contests aren't as different as you seem to think. Let's say you had a contest for secondary kills in Bismarck/Tirpitz this weekend past.and say a first blood to boot to count. Well, I'd still be screwed cause while right up my alley, I had work Sunday so I wouldn't be able to farm more to beat out someone else. All it is is slightly more specific farming. You really want to make these less about farming, maybe a bit more fair, make it a reasonable set number, preferably with no random add ons like get a first blood or arsonist, and make it a matter of you get the number, your in a drawing for whatever prizes. There is truly only one remotely reasonable in game competition otherwise, to which while I forget the name used in WoT it was, at one time, called "Sky Writing" in WoWp, where you just had to screen cap (by some means like how right now my game won't take screenshots), your results page showing you destroyed a player with certain letters at name start to spell out a word. So, let's say you roll one for two weeks leading into Halloween, maybe make the word "Ghost", "Spook"., any other number of Halloween based things, though, avoid ones with letters that might be rare. Tanks or Warplanes tried "Zombie" and uh.... it did not end well. Though, you could maybe alter the rules slightly to accommodate that. To which you can lump them for a drawing again or go by who get's it first. Another contest to maybe add to the rotation. Any contest that has "get the most" or any line like it, it's a farm, just matter what the degree of difficulty is and end of the day, still just as frustrating. They should just be "hit x number and entered for a prize drawing", which, with a fixed number they are trying to hit, maybe not ignoring it because while that is running they have other missions/events/etc to pull attention and they give priority to.

4. Glad you agree. Though that said, maybe don't jump too much on a prizing overhaul. Yes, expand the prize pool, number of ships handed out is really debatable. But the number of scenario's where I see a player going "drat I won so I got Doubloons" is small... extremely small. Unless they have an insane amount of easily disposable income they own every ship, normal and premium, with 18 point captains, more slots than ships you could put in game, and enough premium time and doubloons for camo, consumables, and any other premium ship that appears till 2036. Maybe I'm a minority, but, unless by "economical", you mean the "Special" flags, like red dragon, dragon flags, etc, try not to take this the wrong way, but I don't give a damn about those other flags to enter a contest to get them. Between earned, containers both regular and SC, and missions, the only "economical" flag I'm running low on is Papa Papa, and some of the other non economic/special flags, and some premium consumables I don't really use, I just sold for credits. I'd rather at least win SC's since at least that is another shot at a ship, premium time, or doubloons. Flags are a terrible contest reward other than the one you get for winning a contest along with the prize. And if a player wins a ship they have already and doesn't want the doubloon value or as much premium time as they'd get for it rounded up or down, give them the option to donate the reward to other players that don't have it if all they really entered for is bragging rights and to see how they do. I get smaller prizes spread out more, someone has to sign off on giving away merchandise that makes them money otherwise and we don't want you having them come after you with a shovel for how much your giving away. Scene from Top Gun in the spoiler likely sums up that persons reaction, certainly summed up my father's every time his friend went and did certain promotions. 

Spoiler

Joking aside though, still better to hand out things we can't get by earning 2k xp every day and some RNG or sinking some ships or getting first bloods or completing various missions you do almost weekly. Ships, special flags, doubloons, premium time, the various holiday/event camo's when out of season, perma camo's, Even better trained commanders and accompanying barracks slot would really be better than the economic flags. But again, my opinion.

5. Here's the thing, as long as you leave the contest more open ended (a general theme) and give everyone the ability to turn on replays, maybe a link to free stuff to record video (I use a free version of Bandicam), every computer comes with movie making software last I checked. I admit that the windows 7 version of movie maker bites, to put it nicely, but it can still arrange clips and all with some music or audio. Don't get me wrong, doing a really good job, takes time, planning what you want, trying to make sure the exact timing and angles are what you want, etc, if you want to go to that insane level, which I usually do. But at the same time if you did a contest was "clips of battleships to TSO's version of "Carol of the Bell's", by the same token someone else could just play a BB goes "that looks cool", put it to the music and boom, done. And could still be as good as something planned. Maybe I have a natural knack for it, but video contests unless you want us to do like, guides and all (cause of lack of voice recording ability), really aren't that hard or that high a barrier. Beyond maybe needing to make a youtube account if they can't directly upload. I mean "DJ Cap" was a similar or higher barrier, the last time I even tried to mess with anything music was just screwing around a bit with Garage band in class. I tossed that entry together in no time initially as a "is this what you want", that, partially due to other obligations, partially cause I liked it, became my official entry and placed better than I thought, and one part of it was actually a glitch that occurred in the making that I decided to keep cause I kinda liked it and didn't want to reset the whole project. Sure, it became apparent I was outclassed, heavily, by others who clearly had a better knowledge of music making software, put more time into it, etc, but I still won something. But with the number of rewards and all.... it was still worth the shot in the dark that ended up getting me a ship of my choosing, just not the one I was shooting for initially.

To which point if we have larger prize pools, even if the prizes are smaller, I refer to Yoda, Palpatine, or the Shia rant of put simply "Just... DO IT!!". It's worth taking the shot because you never know, maybe, what you come up with wins or does better than you think it will. Instead of a ship you get some dragon flags, maybe some camo's, maybe 500 doubloons that can add up over time that even if you aren't getting 1st place, you eventually get doubloons for the ship, premium time, xp conversion, etc. the small pools they've had of late yeah, kinda pointless but we go back to larger pools, with decent enough rewards, do what you can, try to win something, even if it's more or less a consolation prize.

But that's just my take on things. others may be fine with economic flags, farming contests and all that stuff. 

I mean I enjoyed the contests earlier in the year, but as I got busier, I stopped looking at them as much.  If it wasn't inspiring or didn't seem achievable, then I likely did not participate.  Another issue was that the contests were always kind of spoiled at the end.  There were always people upset about the results and that's fine and all, but maybe you should close the threads off earlier.  I mean somethings warranted angry people like the NC Alabama Contest.  Other things like one of the camo design ones where an entrant complained about not winning only spiraling the discussion into whether he stole artwork or if it fell under fair use, really sour the mood.

With art contests there is also the issue of pen and paper vs computer, and within that drawn and CGI.  It's kinda like asking what the best piece of art in the world is.  There are so many different branches and types, it wouldn't necessarily be fair to put them all on this same scale.  Pen and paper vs drawing on the computer is not the same.  You have a far greater capacity on the computer compared to pen and paper, cleaning lines and getting the exact color is almost infinitely easier on the computer.  Then even within the computer realm, you have some people that load up their drawing software and whip out their tablets and draw similar to using a pen and paper along with people who load up the ship's ingame texture file map, design their camo on the texture map, and mod it into the game(although with the mod bans and stuff can you still get mod skins?).  These all require lots of time and effort, but the results are vastly different and it's not easy to be fair.  By modding your skin in, you can get a nice action shot of the ship with the camo without having to a wizard at perspective like you would have to be with pen and paper, with pen and paper you can stylize the ship which you can't do with modding a skin in, just in general they aren't the same.

I might look at the contest post day 1, draw a rough sketch,  and not be able to work again until day 4.  On day 4 I might look at the post again to refresh my memory of the requirements and what's at stake, but I will also see what other people have drawn.  I my head I will have my vision and I will think, will my submission be on the same level or greater than what I see now, or will I even qualify for a honorable mention or consolation prize.  If I am not fair sure, then I don't enter and drop the project.  Part of it is that the incentive isn't strong enough and that there is no guarantee for anything.  This isn't necessarily me saying that the prizes are too small, more along the lines of that the prizes are too few.  The fact is you won't always win and it's not fun getting nothing for your efforts.  This doesn't mean give everyone a participation prize, but maybe enter quality submissions into raffle or something.  This way even if people know they won't win the top prizes, they could still will a participation prize.  It incentives trying even if you know you aren't going to win.(I feel like you guys have done this before, but I could be wrong)

Edited by AhosChaos

Poll is invalid, no bacon option.

And the reason for the decline is simple, you just don't have that type of population in the game, and no matter how hard WG tries, you can't make a bunch of casual players into hardcore ones....:Smile_teethhappy: