SuperNikoPower

Contest Frequency on the Forums

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

Contest Frequency   83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the frequency of Forum contests per month?

• Too Many Overall
    • Too Many With Not Enough Variation
    • Just Right But Needs More Variation
    • Just Fine As It Is
    • Needs More

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

So, going over back the last few months, we've noticed that our increase in contests has brought us to less and less participation. No matter what kind of contest it is. We are looking for a way to bring up the participation overall while still offering a variety of creations and decent prizes. So please take a quick moment and let us know in the poll how you feel about contests. 

I love the contests, but, especially with the art ones, there's no chance of winning at all (for me). So, the last one I didn't bother. What I consider my best effort in 2 years of forum contests didn't even merit an honorable mention. I'm just not an artist.

And with LEGO not being considered for the build a ship anymore, I'm pretty much out of that. 

I think that a few contests that require skill (either in game or artistic) would be great. And a few contests that are open entry... or more like. If you do the thing, you get an entry and it's random, not chosen. Like everyone who writes a poem about warships is entered to win an Enterprise or something. 

I bet, if you do something like that, the response count will increase dramatically. I just don't have the skills to participate in the in-game damage or artsy contests. 

I have missed a lot, but then I haven't really been checking.  I'm trying to do a monthly contest for my clan as well but I have the same people doing it over an over.  No different participants, same ones lol. Free stuff I guess people do not want.

I know I try to participate in as many as I can, but lately I just have no personal time for it. :(

I think there is not enough publicity for your forum contests.

I mean, I like that it is on the forums, instead of facebook, but the forums seem to be less known to the general audience.

Hell, I took a look at Asia WoWs forums. That place made Detroit look populated. At least the NA forums is semi-populated.

I even give out free publicity for NA WoWs forums and NA server on my youtube channel, because NA wows forums has really amazing prizes.

Edited by MrDeaf

Just gonna put it out there... the creative contests in the first half of the year had more consolation prizes :Smile_hiding:

Missing poll option: "There are contests on the Forums?!?!?"

Not trying to be snarky, Niko - I honestly thought this is a statistic you might want to capture.

I had already submitted mine before I realized folk could use tape, etc to build the shadow. probably will not do the art ones again, but I commend WG for running them. 

BTW, it is not necessarily just the WG contests that people are skipping. I put up a USN BB Quiz for which there are no takers so far. 

You'd probably have fine participation if you just made a news window in port. 

I've never tried any of them.

For one, it's really not out there for me to see it. If I wanted to, I'd need to actually look for them.

I'm totally fine with those that have the time to write poems, draw pictures, make shoes, etc.. I myself don't have any interest in things like that.

6 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

You'd probably have fine participation if you just made a news window in port. 

^^^ This.   The population here on the forums is just too low, compared to the game.  A link from the launcher portal, or even an in-game message would help.

For me, I have Zero Art ability, so I don't even try... And the increase in "official WG events" in-game, takes up a lot of game time.. Sometimes I have to choose..

I've entered a few of the ship damage type contests in the past, but I haven't the time or ability for art contests.  The ship type contests were limited because I didn't have the appropriate ships at the time.  Now, I am much better prepared, but haven't seen many of them to enter.

i dont join the contests because im bad at drawing, bad at the game (most of the times the contests for playing some ships i dont have the ships ;-;), most of the time i dont have supplies for anything, and i feel like i dont have a chance :P

Like the contests - like high damage on a selected tech tree ship, corgi fleet is great, anything outside the game I do not participate - am not very creative.....

The only in game competition that i heard of was the one where the winner was accused of cheating.

To me, if there's only 3, 6, 10, etc.. peeps that can win it, I wouldn't waste my time on it. 

The percentage Chance i would win over someone that plays all day is astronomical. 

Remember the NY camo contest? I do. Pretty straight forward, could get a lot of participation. If you were to ask me (say, you did didn't you?), I would suggest cutting back on the big prize packages per say then focusing on slightly easier contests that could get more participation. Hence more winners. 

Never fails - every time I take the black NY to battle, someone wants to know about the camo. I myself like that - having that special thing that's not a lot of coins but does make you feel ever so lightly privileged. 

I might also suggest you find some means of querying players if they are interested in receiving news (via their registered email account) relating to WoWS contests on the NA server. Then get that info out a few days in advance of the contest, maybe a full week. Send one more the evening before the contest.

I think something along those lines would help participation. 

The feedback you guys are throwing at me is great. Please continue posting it up. As you all know, I'm constantly trying to better these contests without burning you all out. 

1 hour ago, pikohan said:

Just gonna put it out there... the creative contests in the first half of the year had more consolation prizes :Smile_hiding:

I still prefer one big prize, rather than what WoWs Asia forums was running... 100 doubloons for each category winner. When I looked, RNBBs from T3 through T10.

I know it's desolate in WoWs Asia forums, but the prize value is what gets people to come back for more.

But if there is room for consolation prizes, even T2/3 premium ships, would be quite good.
I am almost certain people would love to win ships like Mikasa, Albany, Aurora and Oleg, even if they are consolation prizes, because they are rare.

Edited by MrDeaf

Part of the problem Niko is that some of the ones like "Damage done", highest XP, most ships killed, these seem like they go to the same people every time, the skilled players, those who have all the time in the world or both. Add in conflicting with in-game missions, time constraints, etc - they lose that much more. Part of the problem is yeah, you guys need a way to make some of the contests more noticeable. And I love the art contests, usually, but again, it seems like the same people always win no matter what, it seems like CG trumps anything more traditional in look. And it gets especially hard when you guys start clamping down with sometimes very strict parameters, specific ships, etc. You've had a couple contests I'd have entered if I could, but I lacked the ship. Some your tiering is too high, and others, so many things are removed from the list and all it gets to a point some of us just aren't going to bother. I can only do so much with certain specific scrap types when you guys decide we can't use certain materials. I may not be willing to cannibalize my lego sets for the parts, yes i'm weird that way, but they should still be an option. And I will say that sometimes, it feels like "quality" in the art one's is weighted too heavily, over creativity and maybe in some, even over theme. Some of the art contests I missed or other creative ones, the winning entries, no offense meant to their creators, didn't seem that creative. Look, I understand if you guys want something more than a toddler on a sugar high can do in quality, even wanting more than stick figures, but there should be a point those not as skilled, or those that can't use CGI art programs, still have a chance. 

And that doesn't even get into you guys having some very vague and convoluted descriptions and rules at times. DJ Cap I never really got an answer when I was first to post up a video going "Is this what you guys are looking for" because it wasn't that clear. You guys also did the contest to come up with ships based around football teams, and one of the stipulations was nothing trademarked or the like, and the winners basically all had team logo's and the like that had copyright/trademarks attached to them. Clarity is sometimes an issue.

And to be quite honest, you have them now like the "create a birthday cake" contest where 10 "quality" entries nets 1 winner, 20+ is a whole 3. And I'd damn well wager going through past creative contests we can likely come up with a short list of who will win if they enter. Look, I hate to sound like the "Everyone gets a trophy" crowd, but even if not EVERYONE gets something, we need to go back to those prize settings where where even if your not going to get say the big x prizes that have ships and all attached, you can maybe aim for the slightly lower tier that's premium time, dubloons, flags, whatever. Many of the ones I entered, I knew the odds were I wouldn't get the top prizes, hoped for the best but realistically knew others might well do better, but I still had something to hope for for the effort. I believe it was DJ cap I aimed, best I could, for the top prizes to get a Belfast for free, instead, got a Mutsu as my choice. Others, I lost, but I cot some dubloons that let me retrain a captain, built up so I could have some premium time or flat out won a couple extra days premium, great considering I have 10 guaranteed days of work per year right now still. Theses latests contests when I do see them, I know I have a no chance of getting the prizes, so to mirror what others have said - what's the point?

If you have to cut back on the number of contests you run in order to expand the prize pool so those of us of mediocre or lesser talent can still have a chance at winning even a small prize, then cut back on the number. That and better visibility might improve chances of people entering. People will have more drive and all to at least try if they have what might be a snowballs chance in hell at getting something.

7 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I still prefer one big prize, rather than what WoWs Asia forums was running... 100 doubloons for each category winner. When I looked, RNBBs from T3 through T10.

I know it's desolate in WoWs Asia forums, but the prize value is what gets people to come back for more.

But if there is room for consolation prizes, even T2/3 premium ships, would be quite good.
I am almost certain people would love to win ships like Mikasa, Albany, Aurora and Oleg, even if they are consolation prizes, because they are rare.

The earlier contests I'm referring to had grand prizes and a long tail of consolation prizes. Even if I didn't feel like I could get the grand prize most of the time, I felt like I had pretty good odds of getting a consolation prize, and that definitely motivates me.

That being said, if I had to choose between many consolation prizes or few grand prizes, I would still choose many consolation prizes. I really liked that thing that they did on the Asia server where everyone who qualified could get 300 gold. 

I believe you should add the forum contests to the news feed on the launcher and in game. This way it will bring in more people

To be honest, I'm not really a 'creative' type person, warship macramé, things like that are outside of my ken.  I was going to hokey up an entry into the model ship contest a while back, but got busy and forgot.

I think the only one I actually tried to enter was the USS Texas camo one, and while my entry was not a winner, it was the one that eventually appeared on the ship because scale.  I like scale.  Again, not terribly 'creative'.

I miss the somewhat regular weekend contests, but I can understand that with people (ahem) collaborating on them, and otherwise cheesing them, that it was probably best to drop them.

But again, to be honest, if Niko announced a contest for "most battles played with a Leander this weekend gets you a free Perth" ... yeah, never mind.

And I'm not sure how you could gimmick up a battle based contest like do x damage or shoot down y planes without leaving it subject to ... manipulation.  Or without making it constrained so much as to be indecipherable.

Really, in regards to battle type things, there are a couple of things I can think of that might 'work' ... depending on the intent of the contest.

If the intent of the contest is to encourage people to get out there and play in ship 'x':

Contest - over the weekend, play at least X (10?) battles in the HMS Queen Elizabeth (for example).  Everyone who meets the threshold is placed in a random drawing for premium ship Y (Warspite?).  This kind of contest would encourage participation and (hopefully) be enjoyable to the participants who are battling away, but would not be subject to damage total or other sorts of manipulation.

If the intent of the contest is to potentially reward and notice spectacular play:

Contest - over the weekend, achieve high damage (or citadels or whatever metric you choose) with ship X.  The top Q% (10%?) or maybe Y-Z% (15-5%?) of achievers will be entered in a random drawing for reward Y.  Those in the top % range who don't get the doodad might be awarded a flag bag or something.

Note that while this style of contest *would* be subject to potential manipulation and damage farming, by including a random element, it might reduce the temptation to pad one's stats.  Also, if the band pass filter is used to eliminate the very top %s, it would (hopefully) actively discourage such behavior.

Just a couple of thoughts...

(Oh, and one more thing - every time I see the creative contests, I look at them and consider ... how much time invested vs. reward.  For those to whom the price of a premium ship is a relatively small % of their workday, an hour or two at work vs. 5 hours designing a cake might seem like a no-brainer.)