You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Skyhooker

"Meta" meaning?

25 comments in this topic

[QNA]
Members
93 posts
4,860 battles

Hey, captains,

What does the term "meta" mean when referring to the game?  I hear it used often in videos, but it doesn't seem to fit any standard definition I know of, as in a self-referential term or concept.

Thanks!

-Skyhooker

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles

Its a word that describes how the game Ebs and Flows the things that work well and the things that don't work well, for example we are currently in a BB meta where most players play BBs and they are the dominate force in a match, for comparison in the current Meta CVs are weaker due to the AA of high tier ships and being forced to face of against another CV.

Also apparently its an acronym according to Urban Dictionary,

Spoiler
Abbreviation of Most Effective Tactic Available. Mostly used when comparing tactics in a game, but can be used in other things as well. It can change over time as new tactics are explored or can change by a change in the rules of a game or availability of new resources. In real life changes to gamerules are usually to make the game more interesting (soccer rules change for offside, usage of time compensation in some courses). In computer games this is done by patching to balance the game or fix bugs.

Player: That new patch changed the meta so much, I really enjoy the game more now!

Edited by devastator5000
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,701 battles

I'm So Meta Even This Acrynym.

The meta simply refers to the basic playstyle / team makeup that is most complained about. First it was the torpedo soup meta, now it's the (BB-) fire spam meta, what will it be next? Cast your votes here!

[SEP]
Members
3,723 posts
14,941 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

The meta simply refers to the basic playstyle / team makeup that is most complained about. First it was the torpedo soup meta, now it's the (BB-) fire spam meta, what will it be next? Cast your votes here!

CVs removed entirely from the game meta.

Members
566 posts
1,461 battles

In the context of gaming, you can think of it as a bandwagon where the majority of players will choose a specific thing as opposed to other alternatives.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
943 posts
10,405 battles

Means strategic choices that lays outside of an individual match. So things like ship choices, Captain skills, Module preferences, choices that people make before they hit the battle button. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,484 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

"Meta" is a philosophical term referring to the underlying nature of a thing. 

In the gaming context, it is talking about 'metagaming'.  The contextual meaning of that will change some depending upon who you're talking to.  Look it up on wikipedia for ounces of reading pleasure. ;)

In the WoWs context, it basically refers to the 'best' way to play the game.  To conform to the 'meta' you don't choose your ship or its mods based upon its strengths or how it might work with your own playstyle, but upon how well it supports this supposed "best way to play".  Currently, that 'meta' involves HE shells and setting fires.  So each ship and any build is measured by how well it sets fires.  If its really good at supporting the meta, then its overpowered (see Conqueror).  If it doesn't easily support the meta, then its garbage (say it like a Canadian, GER-bij)

• Cool 1

[QNA]
Members
93 posts
4,860 battles
17 minutes ago, devastator5000 said:

Its a word that describes how the game Ebs and Flows the things that work well and the things that don't work well, for example we are currently in a BB meta where most players play BBs and they are the dominate force in a match, for comparison in the current Meta CVs are weaker due to the AA of high tier ships and being forced to face of against another CV.

Also apparently its an acronym according to Urban Dictionary,

Hide contents
Abbreviation of Most Effective Tactic Available. Mostly used when comparing tactics in a game, but can be used in other things as well. It can change over time as new tactics are explored or can change by a change in the rules of a game or availability of new resources. In real life changes to gamerules are usually to make the game more interesting (soccer rules change for offside, usage of time compensation in some courses). In computer games this is done by patching to balance the game or fix bugs.

Player: That new patch changed the meta so much, I really enjoy the game more now!

Thanks for all the replies.  The Urban Dictionary seems to have explained it best as an acronym, or it makes the most sense to me.  Appreciated!

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
28 minutes ago, Lert said:

Deep water torpedo w/ radar ship complaining meta.

Or my version of it:

"Why is the Asian DD made in the USA better than my American DD made in the USA?"  ~.~

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,534 posts
7,533 battles
45 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

It's more likely that it's a backronym.

You're probably right...  It possibly could have come into gaming from "Metadynamics" which is word sometimes thrown around in general coding..  Here's pretty heady wiki..  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metadynamics

The acronym was created to fit..

Members
18,198 posts
5,196 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Deep water torpedo meta.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,701 battles
7 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Deep water torpedo meta.

Nah, too limited availability.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Dispersion Meta the ability to tighten your shots for more hits per salvo fired. I see this coming with the asian DD update,this for the Guns and the Torps. Almost the Torp soup repete.

Members
730 posts
3,905 battles
18 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

"Meta" means "what people are doing."

Ah, so MY meta is, "flounder around, try to be patient and pick my spots, get impatient, lumber my Großer Kurfürst too close to the cap, pop hydro, and STILL get cross torped by all the DDs and the CV torp planes."

Gotcha!

~B

:cap_like:

Beta Testers
299 posts
1,804 battles

The first time I saw the term was in IT... "metadata" which is the data about the data, the format and structure of the data.

I assumed in gaming it meant the data about way people play or the common accepted methods of play.

• Cool 1

Members
18,198 posts
5,196 battles
36 minutes ago, Lert said:

Nah, too limited availability.

For now, until the Pan-Asian ships (esp. DDs) and GZ get released anyway....

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
14 minutes ago, Beornotns said:

Ah, so MY meta is, "flounder around, try to be patient and pick my spots, get impatient, lumber my Großer Kurfürst too close to the cap, pop hydro, and STILL get cross torped by all the DDs and the CV torp planes."

Gotcha!

~B

:cap_like:

That would be an interesting meta.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,701 battles
9 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

For now, until the Pan-Asian ships (esp. DDs) and GZ get released anyway....

That's what I meant. Only the PADD and GZ get DW torps. That's not nearly wide spread enough for a whole meta to form around.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,241 posts

I mainly use it as a shorthand for "The way most people/teams play right now."

ie: Camp n Snipe.  Aka: "That $hitty passive meta".  

We've also had:

-Torp soup.  The DD heavy meta, esp back before the IJN DD nerfs brought about by DD mains being TOO good.  The end result of Torp Soup was that the IJN "Long Lance" torpedo got a big nerf, and IJN DD's have gotten numerous nerfs ever since- culminating in the "Great Stealth nerf" that people are currently grumbling about.  It saw a brief resurgance when the Kamikaze R was excepted from the torpedo nerf, and after the release of two more Kamakaze R clones. 

.  This "torpedoes everywhere!" phenominon still occurs sometimes when there is a cruiser heavy match- esp with 2 strike CV's on each team.   Torps fly everywhere, people die, and everyone else is afraid to move up or go anywhere for fear of unavoidable torpedoes from every direction.   Often described as "walls of skill".

-German BB's uber alles.  For months after their release, the queue was FULL of German BB's, sometimes to the point of making one wonder if anyone played anything else.

-FIIIRRRREEEEE!!!!  Where we're at now.

- The running of the BB's.  Aka "World of BB's"  A result of camp n Snipe, the release of several popular premium BB's, and the release of 2 new BB lines.  EVERYONE is a battleship.   Cruisers suffered badly in the camping meta, due to being outranged, sniped, and/or focused to pieces if they dared to try and do their job.  Thus, many people turned to battleships with their much greater survivability.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,171 battles
4 hours ago, Skyhooker said:

Hey, captains,

What does the term "meta" mean when referring to the game?  I hear it used often in videos, but it doesn't seem to fit any standard definition I know of, as in a self-referential term or concept.

Thanks!

-Skyhooker

It’s a cool, hipster name for what is basically learning the routes in Pac-Man to get the highest score.  No originality involved in it.   

[VVV]
Members
341 posts
1 hour ago, BurglarOfBanff_ff said:

The first time I saw the term was in IT... "metadata" which is the data about the data, the format and structure of the data.

I assumed in gaming it meant the data about way people play or the common accepted methods of play.

Exactly this, both in what it means and the origins of the term.

Members
18,198 posts
5,196 battles
15 hours ago, Lert said:

That's what I meant. Only the PADD and GZ get DW torps. That's not nearly wide spread enough for a whole meta to form around.

Agreed. I was just a little salty when I posted that, after running afoul of a GZ's planes in my Fiji.