You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
my13

Not getting credit for shot hits

26 comments in this topic

Members
32 posts
10,860 battles

13 ap shots from my bb into another bb over several volleys all over ship 0 pts.

14 ap shots from my bb into another bb over several volleys all over ship about 4600 pts.

total 36 main batter ap shells for about 19,600 pts over 5 ships

34 he secondary battery hits almost all on 1 bb for about 1100 pts and no fires

dd pea shooters battery do more damage than this

[LOU1]
Members
3,023 posts
8,125 battles

Did the ribbons say ricochet, shattered, or non-penetrating?  If so, those do zero damage for AP and only splash damage for HE (it can still start fires).  For HE, the higher the tier the more HE damage is reduced.  I believe it drops to less than half the spec at the higher tiers.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Were you firing at the bow of a ship facing you? Was it an equal tier? What ship were you in? What ship was he in?

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,487 battles

With the number of battles you've played I'd assume you know the basics of angling, overpens, etc.  Could this be a lag/desync issue?  Maybe it looks like you're hitting but from the servers point of view you aren't.

Members
32 posts
10,860 battles

thanks for the info about the he, I was battling 2 tier 10s with my tier 8 (another reason I wish they would keep the tier spread to 1 at most, if my shots dont do any damage to their ships)

where do i find the ribbons that say what the shots did?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles
22 minutes ago, my13 said:

13 ap shots from my bb into another bb over several volleys all over ship 0 pts.

14 ap shots from my bb into another bb over several volleys all over ship about 4600 pts.

It's called Troll RNG.

I've over-penned citadels with the Missouri.

The low tier French cruiser that I found AFK once.  I took my time and raked it bow to stern with AP and never got a citadel -- only overpens.  Check armor view -- HA !!   I must have hit that citadel 25 times..   Troll RNG sez Nope.

It's no wonder BB operators are switching to HE and burning down everything.  Then again, I once landed 17 HE shots from an Arizona onto a Minekaze that simply wouldn't die.  Then again, I was on a DD kill mission - so again, that's a nope.  Haven't suffered the mission enough yet.

Once had to citadel another ship using a cruiser....  OK, the only ship I can citadel is another cruiser..  MM messes with me as there is only one red cruiser and it's dead before I can get to it.  By the end of this painful mission, I was yolo charging other cruisers (quick - before someone else kills it) and then there was the matter of scoring a citadel.  I was happy to get one per mission..   It was PAINFUL.

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,610 battles
12 minutes ago, my13 said:

thanks for the info about the he, I was battling 2 tier 10s with my tier 8 (another reason I wish they would keep the tier spread to 1 at most, if my shots dont do any damage to their ships)

Under settings in game there is an option for "Detailed Ribbons".  If you enable that, when you get a hit, you can scroll over the ribbon with your mouse and it will tell you whether the shells shattered, overpened, or got normal pens.  It's useful in some situations, but more infuriating when you're in a DD and you see 90% of your shells shatter on the deck of whatever you're shooting at.

Members
32 posts
10,860 battles

it could be a lag/desync issue or similar problem, I have had freezing, my terrain indicator not appearing till after I have fired the shots so my shots go into mountains, torps not firing before my ship sinks due to appears sys thinks my ship is sunk a second or two before I see it since most recent updates

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,597 posts
9,000 battles
15 minutes ago, my13 said:

You should have aimed for the superstructure or switched to HE if you couldn't penetrate.

1 minute ago, my13 said:

it could be a lag/desync issue or similar problem, I have had freezing, my terrain indicator not appearing till after I have fired the shots so my shots go into mountains, torps not firing before my ship sinks due to appears sys thinks my ship is sunk a second or two before I see it since most recent updates

If you got credit for hitting it wasn't desync.

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,610 battles
2 minutes ago, my13 said:

I'm 90% sure hits are determined server side, not client side.  Lag should have nothing to do with it.  

That being said, is it a case of where you aim?  If you're shooting the bow of any tier X battleship, you'll very rarely do damage. 

Members
32 posts
10,860 battles

I turned on detailed ribbons, I will be curious what they show

I was closing on 2 tier 10s from about 20km to about 10km. about 2/3 hits were broadsiides deck/superstructure area/hull around midships.

the other 1/3 the bb was 90 degree angle and were plunging shots about 45 degress around superstructure at about 11 km

Members
32 posts
10,860 battles

as for he, the ships were already badly burned from earlier in battle, and per tech support once that is the case he wont do much (though in this case it couldnt have done less).

also, he (especially on my german ships) seems to almost never cause fires. i have had 100 he shell hits with german cruiser over many volleys against 1 full strength bb all over that ship and got 0 fire.

my ships from other countries seem to cause fire much more frequently

Members
32 posts
10,860 battles

also, for a while it showed the point count of hits at the top right corner during battle, but after the recent updates this has gone away, is there a way to turn that back on? I didnt realize those hits were getting 0 pts till looking at the summary at end of game, and was very suprised because the hits looked real good during the battle.

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,610 battles
3 minutes ago, my13 said:

also, for a while it showed the point count of hits at the top right corner during battle, but after the recent updates this has gone away, is there a way to turn that back on? I didnt realize those hits were getting 0 pts till looking at the summary at end of game, and was very suprised because the hits looked real good during the battle.

Go under game settings.  There are a lot of settings in there just like the "Detailed Ribbons" one that will greatly help you.  Damage counter is in there as well as Alternative Battle Interface which I recommend you turn on.  Experiment and see what you like.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,838 posts
13,050 battles

BB AP...you could almost turn it into a ballad.

Tink...tink....tonk.

Tink...tink....BAM!

BAM!...tonk....tonk.

Tink...Bam!...tink.

Tink...tonk...tink

Tonk...tonk...tonk.

Bam!...tink...tonk.

Bam baaboom Bam!!!

Members
650 posts
1,632 battles
1 hour ago, my13 said:

5600 battles, this guy's played. Aye-yi-yi.

Can anybody give me a reason why the detailed ribbons aren't on by default, though? 

[PROJX]
Members
968 posts
15,707 battles
2 hours ago, my13 said:

Hey my13! You're probably running into a some of the following factors w/ your shell hits:

• Shatters (shell that hit but don't penetrate) & Bounces - the damage algorthm for the game is as follows
    • Citadels - 100% damage
    • Penetrations - 33% damage
    • Over-Penetrations - 10% damage
    • Shatters/Bounces & hits to modules - 0% damage (but if a module hit disables the module)
  • Secondary Batteries also (depending on the ship) sometimes shoot AP as well as HE (notably IJN BBs).   AP will bounce often on a well angled ship and WG relatively recently reduced the HE fire chance when using secondaries on certain BBs (e.g. w/ German BB secondaries)
  • Damage Saturation - Each ship section has a particular subset of a ship's total health pool assigned.   If you hit a damaged saturated section, your shell effect can drop very low (10%) or even 0% in a fully saturated section (e.g. if you take a torpedo hit in the bow and it takes all of the bow's HP, a second torp hit in the same spot will not add to your damage total).

The main solution is to realize this and you have to target areas of the ship w/ greater damage potential or non-damage saturated areas.

Edited by hangglide42

[TBOW]
Members
1,251 posts
10,669 battles

Well I have seen this, and the only thing (and I have detail ribbons on and I get 0 damage pens) is the area of the ship I hit has no damage points left to give, that are is saturated so not damge is available till the guys repairs or I hit a different are of the ship.

[PSP]
Members
6,240 posts
8,874 battles

Remember too that there is something in this game called damage saturation. If you are shooting at, say, the bow of a ship and it's already been severely damaged then you are not going to do any more damage to that section.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
32 posts
10,860 battles

I thought from tech support the saturation was for fire only, but if it counts toward ap shells also that may explain why my shots were doing 0 damage

[PSP]
Members
6,240 posts
8,874 battles
31 minutes ago, my13 said:

I thought from tech support the saturation was for fire only, but if it counts toward ap shells also that may explain why my shots were doing 0 damage

I was in a game today with my North Carolina. I fired at a DD in a cap that had gone dark some seconds previously and got a "defended" ribbon but no other indication of a hit, neither damage nor any shell hit indicators. Maybe I "defended" by scaring him. 

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,148 battles

Don't forget the fact that the secondary shells that were fired have to hit armor that is thin enough for it to pen to cause damage, and considering the secondaries aim perfectly center mass it's likely smashing against damage saturated areas and the main belt armor.