You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

MIssouri vs. Montana - which would you choose?

US Battleship Poll  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Missouri vs. Montana - Which is the better choice?

• Missouri
    • Montana
    • I don't have an opinion, I just like to vote in polls.

45 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles

If you could have either the Missouri or the Montana, which would you choose?  Assume that you already have the Alabama.

Which is the more fun ship to play?

Which is the most effective?

I like tanky, hard hitting ships.  I also like radaring annoying hiding cruisers.  I'm an aggressive player.  Which should I go with?

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
3 minutes ago, Ajatcho said:

Why do people call MO that?  Why not U$$ MOney?  If only Trump's pinky finger was as good as Missouri. SAD!

Edited by lemekillmister

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles
4 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

Why choose?  I have both - got both at the same time - true story. 

Well I could, as I have a job, and can do things like that if I want.  I already spend a lot on this game though, so I'm trying to keep it reasonable.

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
Just now, TheDreadnought said:

Well I could, as I have a job, and can do things like that if I want.  I already spend a lot on this game though, so I'm trying to keep it reasonable.

I was actually between jobs at the precise time I got both but I had the earned XP on Iowa and free XP to do it.  Now it's long days in the office these days.  I mainly only have time on weekends to play now...  Well, I do sometimes sneak in a few some nights after I get home from work.

[PROJX]
Members
969 posts
15,734 battles

I would still pick the Missouri -

The difference between the Alabama & Missouri is the Radar, Silver earning potential and Captain Training/Free Commander XP Farming.   The radar gives that ship a nice edge in maps w/ some cover to take out/radar DDs and smoked UK CLs.  Also, since you're contemplating T10s (i.e. Montana), the Missouri's silver earning potential is insane - I chose to go up all the lines simultaneously so if you can imagine unlocking, and paying for, all your T8s, T9s, T10s within a few month window as I reached those tiers....Mizzou was great solution!   One aspect that not many consider is that the Missouri is a Training Ship and Free Commander XP Farmer, whereas the other 2 ships are not.  Once you get your 1st 19 pt captain (see this post for a strategy for getting more 19 pt commanders faster), you want a Premium that you can pop a 19 pt captain on to farm Free Commanders XP & since she is a T9 and Premium, she'll earn you more than an Alabama.

WRT the Missouri vs. Montana, the great temptation w/ the Montana is to use all her 12 guns vs. the Missouri's 9.   When not applied situationally, this desire often leads to Montana players taking more damage than when you play the Mizzou as you try to bring her 6 rear guns to bear.  You have to keep in mind that the Montana gives you a very accurate heavy broadside SITUATIONALLY - but often, you have to use mainly her front guns similarly to the Missouri and resist the temptation to overexpose the side of your ship.   You do have a nice kiting ship that still gets you 6 big guns pointed rearward if you have to disengage or open distance, but remember the Montana is a bigger, slower, poorer turning ship that makes for a better target for DDs, fire spamming cruisers & CVs.

[SOV]
Beta Testers
1,496 posts
5,834 battles

The Missouri, of course! The Montana is too easy to citadel.

Spoiler

I kid! Sorta...:Smile-_tongue:

shot-17_10.09_21_54.28-0621_edit.thumb.jpg.d2ab7156000a5080c70b965faff44f27.jpg

I have both and enjoy both equally, but I would give the edge to the Missouri for the credit earning potential.

[YORHA]
Members
3,328 posts
14 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

Why do people call MO that?  Why not U$$ MOney?  If only Trump's pinky finger was as good as Missouri. SAD!

That bothers me as well.  It's is very hard to go bankrupt repeatedly in the Missouri.

Failing Meme is sad.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Between the two, I'd say Mo. She's an epic credit printer, radar for pesky lolibotes, speed, AA, and those amazing 16"/50 Mark 7s.

Plus, history! 

[VVV]
Beta Testers
800 posts
5,159 battles

It's easy to be bias about this, as I find the mighty mo to be the most fun ship in the game. If you played the Iowa, It's the same. I really enjoy the play style of the MO over the Montana, The fast speed, the money making, and free xp farming. Both is big factors for me. But if you want to have alittle more survivability and some more firepower, The Montana is a good ship now days as well and with a premium camo makes some money too. But if you want to fund your ship grinding and have fun while doing it, I'd say Might Mo for sure.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Not a question one might see often - more usually folks ask which of two TT ships they should grind first, or which of two (or more) premiums they should purchase.

Your question, however - is pretty easily answered with another question - why not have both?

You are currently at Colo in the US BB line, and probably pretty near having the XP for the NC - which is definitely one of the highlights of the line (imho), and one of the most fun ships in the game (also imho) - so why not just continue with the grind for the Montana?

By the time you have ground through the NC and Iowa (another ridiculously fun ship - imho) - you will likely have a good portion of the FXP required to purchase the Missouri.

Voila - you now have both ships in your port.

That was easy.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,809 posts
10,327 battles

Missouri, the radar is hateful.

Montana is a poor T10 battleship.

[INTEL]
Members
6,662 posts
25,732 battles

I have and like both.

I'd say Missouri for the credit earning power.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,870 posts
5,255 battles
28 minutes ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

Not a question one might see often - more usually folks ask which of two TT ships they should grind first, or which of two (or more) premiums they should purchase.

Your question, however - is pretty easily answered with another question - why not have both?

You are currently at Colo in the US BB line, and probably pretty near having the XP for the NC - which is definitely one of the highlights of the line (imho), and one of the most fun ships in the game (also imho) - so why not just continue with the grind for the Montana?

By the time you have ground through the NC and Iowa (another ridiculously fun ship - imho) - you will likely have a good portion of the FXP required to purchase the Missouri.

Voila - you now have both ships in your port.

That was easy.

I actually have NC too.   I just sold her when I got the Alabama.

Members
1,019 posts
13,049 battles

If you have the FXP get the Missouri now but with out a commander. Continue the grind towards the Montana. With 2 premium USN BBs to use for training by time you reach the Montana you'll easily have a 19pt commander. That's what I did and I enjoy both ships. The upper tier USN BBs are much more fun to play than the lower tiers so have at 'em.

Members
1,458 posts
12,328 battles

Mighty Mo of course, costs credits to play the Montana, you get credits playing the Missouri - my favorite ship

[WOLF9]
Members
3,244 posts

I voted C: both. 

IF you have the free xp NOW, I'd go for Missouri- it'll make you tons of cash to pay for the $$$$$ ships between you and Montana.  If you're on CO, be warned: there is a massive difference in playstyle!  Not the least of which is that both of these ships are massive, and have very big turning radii- unlike Colorado, which is short and fat.  Adjustments need to be made, as you cannot get away with things you could in the quicker turning standards.

I would recommend getting and learning the North Carolina first, as it's playstyle is very similar to both Mi$$ouri, and Montana.  Esp Montana- it plays like a more heavily armed North Carolina.  (Ie if you love Nor-Cal, you'll love Monty, too!)

I'm an aggressive BB captain, too, and I'm here to tell you that difference in turning radius and rudder shift will get you killed if you don't account for it.  Otherwise both ships are fun to play, and deadly effective.   I found that it's better to keep your distance somewhat and/or flank with Monty, as you simply do not have the ability to dodge torps once they're spotted.  And it can be citadeled fairly easily if someone gets YOUR flank.  You don't need to camp- just don't be the guy who charges right into the middle of the enemy team!

If you're asking for future reference, and are still working on the FXP, I'd say same thing:  Get $$Missouri$$ first- trust me, you'll need all the earnings you can get.  Iowa and Montana are both hugely expensive.  (and worth it)

As a primarily Co-op player, I can STILL make big bucks playing Missouri- even in a crap match.  That's it's REAL super power.  Thus I haven't found occasion to use the radar on it- co-op bots are anything but subtle,lol.  If you want a radar ship, though, Missouri is it.

Monty is definitely worth the grind.  Nothing quite like sailing into a cap with a buddy- like an Alabama- and watching all the red ships in there run for their lives!  You can almost hear the collective " OH $hit!!"  So keep grinding- there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Currently, I'm using MO with my 19 point Colorado captain (because that's how much I liked my Colly-rado), to grind elite captain xp.  To buff Monty's captain.

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
1 hour ago, lemekillmister said:

Mighty Mo was the real nickname of the ship.  The Montana was never built.

[TBOW]
Members
1,252 posts
10,689 battles
1 hour ago, lemekillmister said:

Well for starters Mo is the 2 character State ID for Missouri, Hence the Nickname Mighty Mo or Big Mo for some, but Mighty Mo is the better know nickname they don't put in the Wiki or it wasn't there earlier in the year.  I just call her Mo Money!  Cause I use her when I need Mo Money!

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,328 posts
35 minutes ago, Psicopro said:

Mighty Mo was the real nickname of the ship.  The Montana was never built.

I believe he was referring to it being called the Trump Wagon due to the widely held belief that Donald Trump is actually rich...