Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

The mythical unicorn - ship players who actually win with certain ships

11 comments in this topic

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

Okay, so, this is half help thread half wdfbbq thread. 

Perhaps you've heard of this mythical creature: the 53% Akizuki. 

Now, I haven't truly been keeping track of actual wins, but all the games I've seen an Akizuki, it dies within the first 10 minutes without contributing much of anything. Or in my case, Is tay alive, but can't actually fight anything, being at under 15km range to multiple cruisers, out-gunned, surrounded and unable to hit torps with my slow moving torps. 

Where are these people who are conflating the win rate? What do you have to do to really play this ship? 

I follow all the normal rules: try and stay undetected, drop torps (sometimes get a lucky single as multiple BBs turn to only take 1). I check and call out radar cruisers so I don't get caught in them for longer than is possible, I torp from behind islands

Current build is 14 pts. (I also run speed flag only)

PT, LS, BFT, CE, AFT.  Should I trade BFT for SE? 

How do you contest caps if you're a wildly successful 55%+ Akizuki player?  I contest, but I tend to die, take a torp, get radared.  I try and take caps later in the game, since doing it early tends to get me killed. 

How to aim well enough to kill a Khab that drives into 6km then back out to 11km? (I only did half its HP). 

Should I use the AA mod instead of the accuracy mod? Should I trade IFHE out for MCAA? 

Would be fun to hear from some good DD players. 

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles

I average a 64% wr and 70k average damage in mine just put putting around and spamming shells at everything 

Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles

Just based off my experience in other IJN DDs(I have yet to reach Akizuki myself), I'd trade BFT for SE, and AFT for IFHE(which is much better now as it only gives a -1% to fire chance for 139mm guns and smaller). Sure, you might be a bit shorter ranged, but you'll have HE that can deal with angled destroyers when you're contesting caps or being chased. If you've played Kagero and/or own Harekaze, then playing with a relatively short range on a DD shouldn't be unfamiliar to you.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles
1 minute ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Just based off my experience in other IJN DDs(I have yet to reach Akizuki myself), I'd trade BFT for SE, and AFT for IFHE(which is much better now as it only gives a -1% to fire chance for 139mm guns and smaller). Sure, you might be a bit shorter ranged, but you'll have HE that can deal with angled destroyers when you're contesting caps or being chased. If you've played Kagero and/or own Harekaze, then playing with a relatively short range on a DD shouldn't be unfamiliar to you.

Or have a 19 pointer and have concealment, aft, and IFHE 

Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Or have a 19 pointer and have concealment, aft, and IFHE 

Well, OP specified that they only have 14 points on the captain. So working with 14 points, I'd personally rather have HE that can deal with opponent DDs than extra range I may not even be able to effectively use.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

Full build would end up being 

PT LS SE CE 10 
IFHE 14 DE AR

[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,686 battles

Div up with a competent cruiser of the same tier.

New Orleans gets a strong radar. Have him take hydro and radar, and smoke him. You can take a cap 95% of the time like this.

Mogami has a huge volume of shells every 15 seconds. Smoke him, and let him spew shells and torps. Once again, make him bring hydro.

Treat Atago like Mogami, but with nicer torp angles. Bring hydro again. (Sensing a theme?)

Hipper has crazy hydro. Smoke them and enjoy the immunity. The only problem here is that for the hydro to really cover the cap, you need to be pretty deep in the cap.

Eugen is the same as Hipper.

Chapayev has a long radar, so they could potentially stay further away from the cap than the NO. Here though, they could bring defensive fire since they won't really be in the thick of it.

Kutuzov can trade off smoke with you. Abuse this heavily.

Edinburgh smokes, hydros, and torps. They can also take a torp or two, what with their heal, so use them as a shield.

Charles Martel has long-range torps and ridiculously accurate guns. Smoke them up and spot the enemy DD.

Sounds kind of easy, and it is.

• Cool 1

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

Akizuki does not follow the normal rules of IJN DD's.

Your torpedo's are weapons of opportunity, not your main focus. You should be focusing on learning how to get the best use out of your guns.

For 10 points I would start with:

PT (you could use PM, but I prefer PT)

LS (basically mandatory for DD's)

SE (buffs her health well over 20k, which you will need as she is a rather slow, unmaneuverable gun fighter)

CE (you want to stay unspotted for as long as possible)

Since you have 14, I would use the remaining 4 on IFHE. This will allow your HE to pierce DD hulls. W/O it your HE just shatters. Since DD's can auto bounce your AP shells when bow in, IFHE helps a lot. Though you will still do more damage to a broadside DD with AP.

With the remaining 5 points I would pick up AR for 2 points, and either DE or BFT for 3. (personally I would go with BFT. It will help more with DD's, her RoF is high enough that she still sets fires even with a low fire chance)

I also run Premium Smoke to get the extra charge.

AFT is a waste on the Akizuki. It just pushes out the range she is spotted. At those ranges her guns are really only going to hit stationary battleships. He rounds are light and lose velocity fast. Push her range out and you will be looking at flight times as bad as, if not worse, than US 5"/38's.

• Cool 2

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

cool. what about solo? 

and yes, luna, my build is like you said, except I should switch BFT for SE. 

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles
Just now, BlailBlerg said:

and yes, luna, my build is like you said, except I should switch BFT for SE. 

I would. Save BFT or AR for last (I would get AR before BFT. At 50% health you'll get the same effect and it just gets better from there)

And drop AFT for IFHE.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

Agreed. I have ifhe. 

But that hat doesn't stop me from losing. How do I win solo? 

Sign in to follow this