You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

"...and lead us not into temptation..."

66 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles

So I am a couple thousand ship XP short of trading up from the Danae to the Emerald,  and because I've had a run of pretty good (40-60K damage) games in co-op I thought I was good enough to take the Danae for a spin in Random. Now I wound up dead, but death brought with it a tactics medal (for capturing the base), 1700-ish XP and a container b/c my first 2000XP that day.

Cool, I thought, as I click the button for flags and camo; I'll trade my ship XP and the paltry 2000 free XP I have for the Emerald as soon as I open this...

...SUPERCONTAINER WITH FIFTY THOUSAND FREE XP - HOLY RNGESUS...

...and now I have enough to jump straight to the Leander.

(I haven't yet done the math or the tech tree surfing to see if I can jump beyond it, though I suspect not.)

Should I, or should I not? The angel on my shoulder says buy the Emerald (the ship XP gets used up first, right?), sell the Danae to open up the port slot, then get the Leander and leave it there until I have ground out the requisite XP to get it the honest way. The devil on my shoulder says go straight to the Leander.

The only problem I see with going straight to the Leander is that the 20,000 ship XP I have ground out on the Danae become effectively worthless (I'm free-playing this game). My understanding is that if I buy the Emerald, those ship XP would be used up first before the free XP pool gets drawn on so I would need fewer free XP to get the Leander (or something else) later. 

RNGesus, what have you done to me by bringing me this gift!!!

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,831 posts
1,327 battles

Yeah, what's on the Emerald would be used first when you buy Leander.  Free XP doesn't get dipped into till you have used up any ship xp available on the Emerald.  

My advice would be if you want to grease the skids, but not use all the Free XP up, you can use the Free XP to research the modules on Emerald, then grind the ship XP to buy Leander with a fully upgraded Emerald.

• Cool 2

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

So I am a couple thousand ship XP short of trading up from the Danae to the Emerald,  and because I've had a run of pretty good (40-60K damage) games in co-op I thought I was good enough to take the Danae for a spin in Random. Now I wound up dead, but death brought with it a tactics medal (for capturing the base), 1700-ish XP and a container.

Cool, I thought; I'll trade my ship XP and my free XP for the Emerald as soon as I open this...

...SUPERCONTAINER WITH FIFTY THOUSAND FREE XP...

(I haven't yet done the math or the tech tree surfing to see if I can jump beyond it, though I suspect not.)

Should I, or should I not? The angel on my shoulder says buy the Emerald (the ship XP gets used up first, right?), sell the Danae to open up the port slot, then get the Leander and leave it there until I have ground out the requisite XP to get it the honest way. The devil on my shoulder says go straight to the Leander.

The only problem I see with going straight to the Leander is that the 20,000 ship XP I have ground out on the Danae become effectively worthless (I'm free-playing this game). My understanding is that if I buy the Emerald, those ship XP would be used up first before the free XP pool gets drawn on so I would need fewer free XP to get the Leander (or something else) later. 

The Danae XP can only be used on the Emerald, it doesn't help at all for the Leander.  I recommend you save the free XP and grind through the ship. It really comes in handy for skipping stock modules, which are at times completely garbage and not fun to play at all.

EDIT: Misread your post, my bad. Yes, the regular XP is used before the free XP.

Edited by Speedstang
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
2,263 posts
6,318 battles

my advice: grind XP out on Danae and Emerald (RNGesus be kind to you and give you good XP to grind through it quickly) and then use the free XP to upgrade the Leander fully and watch the fun begin.

• Cool 2

[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,682 battles

Research the Emerald, sell Danae, free XP to Leander, and fill the newly empty port slot with the Leander. Leander and up are truly fantastic ships.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,487 battles
7 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

my advice: grind XP out on Danae and Emerald (RNGesus be kind to you and give you good XP to grind through it quickly) and then use the free XP to upgrade the Leander fully and watch the fun begin.

Opinion seconded (thirded?  fourthed?  Something.)  Honestly Emerald's modules don't make that huge of a difference so I would suggest you just grind thru Emerald and not use Free XP on her modules.  Tier V goes by quickly enough and you really *need* to spend some time in Emerald to figure out how to not get shot at in higher tier games.  Tier V is where you start seeing +2/-2, so you will often be playing against Tier VII ships.  And when they see you they *will* delete you.  You'll need the practice, as painful as it will be at times.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,059 posts
14,457 battles

Save the FreeXP for later tiers where it's more expensive, so you are not sailing around completely stock at high tier or whatever.

Emerald sucks, let's get that out of the way.  But after some matches you can leave that trash heap "naturally" and claim Leander without giving up your FreeXPs.  The cost of XP progression for low tier ship research is low, anyways.

Another consideration is the saving of 50k FreeXPs towards a FreeXP ship like Missouri (750k), Nelson (mid-300k).

[HINON]
Members
2,263 posts
6,318 battles
Just now, kerensky914 said:

Opinion seconded (thirded?  fourthed?  Something.)  Honestly Emerald's modules don't make that huge of a difference so I would suggest you just grind thru Emerald and not use Free XP on her modules.  Tier V goes by quickly enough and you really *need* to spend some time in Emerald to figure out how to not get shot at in higher tier games.  Tier V is where you start seeing +2/-2, so you will often be playing against Tier VII ships.  And when they see you they *will* delete you.  You'll need the practice, as painful as it will be at times.

yes..... poor Emeralds who stray like lost lambs into my Fiji's gunnery sights. 2 or 3 salvos then dead

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

I hear Emerald is kinda bad.  I'd skip it. I hear that Leander and up are much more pleasant. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
6 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

I have days when I feel like everybody's crippled baby seal on valium anyway; getting blown to bits by Tier VII BB's and shell-spewing CL's won't depress me any more than I have already been depressed, LOL. As an RN light cruiser enthusiast, I consider it my job description. (The times I get close enough to a BB to fish her and turn her into a raging fireball are worth all the detonations, though.)

On the other hand, -2 means that I'm in against Tier 3 ships, doesn't it? And then it will be MY turn to hold the club sometimes. That is a comforting thought.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,487 battles

I have days when I feel like everybody's crippled baby seal on valium anyway; getting blown to bits by Tier VII BB's and shell-spewing CL's won't depress me any more than I have already been depressed, LOL. As an RN light cruiser enthusiast, I consider it my job description. (The times I get close enough to a BB to fish her and turn her into a raging fireball are worth all the detonations, though.)

Well, at least you've got a good attitude about it, that's half the battle! :)

On the other hand, -2 means that I'm in against Tier 3 ships, doesn't it? And then it will be MY turn to hold the club sometimes. That is a comforting thought.

Sadly no.  Tier IV and lower all has +1/-1 MM to prevent noobs from being clubbed too much.  Then you get to Tier V and holy biscuits, here it comes.  Sorry about that, but no sense blowing' smoke up your skirt about it. The only time you'll see Tier IVs is if there are not enough Tier IIIs to fill out a T-IV game *and* enough T-VII and VI so that your T-V doesn't get pulled up.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles

OK - I must have misunderstood what you meant about +/-2.

Anyways, it can't be any worse than when I first got ranked high enough to play in random battles. Off I went, charging in to find that the people there were usually much more skilled than the bots... though the first few random battles I fought were still at low enough rank that bots were there, and the combination of a Black Swan in my hands, multiple damage sponges on my side and large numbers of greedy, slow-witted AI on theirs was enough to get me my first Kraken (and High Calibre and Confederate). 

But after that, the bots went away to be replaced by human players, and I guess you could call what came after the Great Humbling. And thanks to that, I will probably never be short of anti-Detonation flags, LOL.

[RKLES]
Members
7,198 posts
8,955 battles

Yeah save the free XP especially if you have been doing ok in your current ship since Free XP is useful in those times when it's desperately needed do best to save it for those times instead of using it out of  convenience.

[PSP]
Members
6,240 posts
8,874 battles
23 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

I hear Emerald is kinda bad.  I'd skip it. I hear that Leander and up are much more pleasant. 

I got the Leander for free in an event some months past and, after playing it a few times, sold it. However, this was back when I was new to the game. Recently, I've re-purchased it and have been using it a lot because of the UK event. I think the secret to playing the Leander to to think of it as a destroyer. Use the concealment commander skill and try to remain undetected for as long as you can. If you have another ship that can spot for you and are within range then smoke up and start laying down AP. One salvo of the Leander's AP may not seem like it's doing much but for the duration of your smoke it can take down a battleship. I use the smoke commander skill and have Jack Dunkirk too so my Leander's smoke is quite good. If you get into a brawl or want to do some island hiding then the torps can be brought into play with good effect.

• Cool 1

[OPEC]
Members
944 posts
5,108 battles

One other thought...

I spent all of my initial Free XP from a few crates on stock ships, but then decided I would use flags on grinds to save my free XP for something bigger.  Granted, it took me nearly a year - and having a Tirpitz with Tarnanstrich camo helped a lot - but I just unlocked Missouri last night.  Next stop is the Nelson!

Missouri_Purchase_10-8-17.JPG

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
1,751 posts
10,116 battles
52 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Research the Emerald, sell Danae, free XP to Leander, and fill the newly empty port slot with the Leander. Leander and up are truly fantastic ships.

OP, do not listen to the people telling you to save your free XP and grind out the Emerald. Instead, listen to this guy. The Emerald is a totally garbage ship, quite possibly the worst (for its tier) in the entire game. However, the Leander is great, and the rest of the line up to Minotaur (but particularly the Fiji) is very good. 

I I got so sick of the Emeralds inability to kill anything except in suicidal torp charges that it remains the only ship I've free XPed past. 

But, otherwise, the advice of using free XP to upgrade an existing ship, so you are not fighting in a stock ship, is sound. The Emerald is so bad, it is the exception to the rule. 

The key lessons you learn in the Emerald - where and when to smoke up - you can learn in the Leander. Message me in-game and I will division up with you. But fork out for premium smoke (you can buy them for credits, not just gold) for the extra charge and the cool down reduction. 

Smoke is life. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,242 battles
52 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Nah; Emerald is better than Leander because no T8 battles, and because 100% more torpedoes. I prefer Emerald's torpedoes over Leander's Brit AP that never hurts anything,

Both die just as fast, so just grind out Emerald and save the fxp for modules on some other ship.

Members
1,296 posts
21,038 battles
1 hour ago, kerensky914 said:

Tier V goes by quickly enough

Very true. 

I got the Leander in the Christmas convoy thing.  I wouldn't have played the RN CL at all without that, and they're some of the ships I do best in.  I think they're a lot of fun and can you can really pull your weight in them, so to speak (but don't ask me about my miserable Minotaur play).

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,831 posts
1,327 battles
1 hour ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

yes..... poor Emeralds who stray like lost lambs into my Fiji's gunnery sights. 2 or 3 salvos then dead

Or one salvo in a Texas, Dunkerque, Warspite, etc. especially near 10 km.

[TBOW]
Members
1,251 posts
10,669 battles

Start to save some of that FXP, if you want to get a couple modules on the Emerald fine do that.  But grind it some too.  Build that Captain up so you have the points you want it when you get to FIJI...  That is a great boat and you will have tons of tun with it.  But again remember there are 2 ships at this point that are FXP ships Nelson (don't have yet!) and the MO (which I do have.)  So use some and save some for that Glorious Moment you have enough for one of those 2!!

[PVE]
Members
9,571 posts
7,466 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

So I am a couple thousand ship XP short of trading up from the Danae to the Emerald,  and because I've had a run of pretty good (40-60K damage) games in co-op I thought I was good enough to take the Danae for a spin in Random. Now I wound up dead, but death brought with it a tactics medal (for capturing the base), 1700-ish XP and a container b/c my first 2000XP that day.

Cool, I thought, as I click the button for flags and camo; I'll trade my ship XP and the paltry 2000 free XP I have for the Emerald as soon as I open this...

...SUPERCONTAINER WITH FIFTY THOUSAND FREE XP - HOLY RNGESUS...

Nope, the Danae XP is not useless as you have to research the Emerald and the hull upgrade (but not buy them) to be able to research the Leander and researching the Emerald will use that 20k XP first.

On free XP´ing past a ship or not, I have done both. I´m always short on silver, so I have used free XP to finish off a ship to take advantage of a silver discount on it. I have also waited and just used the free XP on upgrading the ship and grinding the rest. I have also just ground through the whole thing with no free XP. Personally, the smart play is to grind it all out, but I do get impatient some times. I try to only free XP modules when the stock ship is a real dog as playing it with stock modules shortens the learning curve sometimes for me. Sorry to not give you a definitive answer, but there are pros and cons for any of the three methods of getting through a ship.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,600 posts
4,025 battles

If you're playing free, I would not waste this gift here in the lower tiers.

Honestly, though, I can only recommend playing Emerald as a character-building exercise.  Between the tier 5 MM, and the way she tends to lose half her HP pool whenever a battleship looks at her cross eyed, even fully upgraded it was a struggle to contribute.  That said, I completed the grind in a mere 19 battles.  Bet you can do it in less!

[PVE]
Members
9,571 posts
7,466 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

OK - I must have misunderstood what you meant about +/-2.

Anyways, it can't be any worse than when I first got ranked high enough to play in random battles. Off I went, charging in to find that the people there were usually much more skilled than the bots... though the first few random battles I fought were still at low enough rank that bots were there, and the combination of a Black Swan in my hands, multiple damage sponges on my side and large numbers of greedy, slow-witted AI on theirs was enough to get me my first Kraken (and High Calibre and Confederate). 

But after that, the bots went away to be replaced by human players, and I guess you could call what came after the Great Humbling. And thanks to that, I will probably never be short of anti-Detonation flags, LOL.

I was going to cover tier match making, but forgot.

T1 sees only T1

T2 sees +1/-0

T3 and T4 see +1/-1

T5 and T6 see +2/-1

T7 and T8 see +2/-2

T9 sees +1/-2

T10 sees +0/-2

Personally, if you haven´t played T5 in another ship, play in co-op until seeing T7´s in a T5 is no longer a big deal. Then jump back to PvP. Doing this has made me much more confident when I´m bottom tier in PvP.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,597 posts
9,000 battles

You got your Emerald and a nice boost towards either the Missouri or the Nelson.

6B2KxB1.jpg

• Cool 1