You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gonowgetdown

WG: These two bugs universally nerf BBs and haven't been fixed...

72 comments in this topic

[PRSR-]
Members
174 posts
6,227 battles

Firstly, let me start by saying I love this game. I'm not one of these who comes on here to just complain. WOW is a great game and I'm sure WG does everything in its power to maintain the game's quality. That said, there are two outstanding issues which should have been addressed by now and affect BBs particularly. 

Spotter Plane Bug

This bug started a few patches ago and I've now noticed it in Flamu's video, so I know its not just me. Before the bug, the spotter plane worked as expected: 

1. Your reticle is at on a target 16KM away while zoomed out.  
  2. You launch your spotter plane.
  3. You crapthe shift key (or whatever key you assigned) to zoom in. 
  4. The camera would zoom in to 16KM, with an "above and angled" view thanks to the spotter. 

However, after a patch, this bug has come up: 

4. The camera instead LAUNCHES to 25KM away, taking your eyes off the target completely and requiring you to redo the process. 

Firstly, has anyone else experienced this? 

Edit, I posted about this in January of this year: 

Land / Island Indicator Warning Lag

I think we all know this. When you aim at a target and there is land between you and the target, an "land warning indicator," shows up as an icon of a mountain. The problem is, this thing is so sluggish that it is outright inaccurate. I cannot tell you how many times I've fired - where there was no warning indicator - and half my salvo goes right into the side of a mountain. What gives? Do you have to wait a few seconds before you fire for the indicator to come up? That's tough granted the precision shooting often necessary for a battle ship. Worse yet, imagine it doesn't pop up and you fire. You've now lost several, if not half, or the entirety of your salvo and must wait at least another 25 seconds for the next shot. =

Combined, these issues are very frustrating and, as you can see, have their strongest effect on BBs. 

WG, can we handle these asap please? The issues have been around for the better part of this year.

Thanks guys.

Edited by gonowgetdown
  • Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,161 battles

There’s a simple thing called patience that can solve both of those issues. 

• Bad 2

Alpha Tester
1,070 posts
4,500 battles

The obstructed shot indicator is dependent on which turret you are currently viewing from and will only tell you if those shots are blocked. This is true with all ship classes.

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,543 battles

The first isn't really a bug, and has been prominent through the whole game.

And what Baby said above^ 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,537 posts
2,126 battles

Well, none of these are really that problematic, especially the terrain indicator, just wait a few seconds. And even if they are irritating, they're certainly not nerfing BBs. And mostly play BBs (though not with spotter)

Beta Testers
1,481 posts
8,949 battles

As others have said, whether you see the terrain blockage icon is dependent on what turret your view is tied to at the time.  If your view point is the rear forward turret, you could be clear of the terrain, but your after turrets may not be.  You will not see the icon, and, if you fire, your forward turrets will clear but "half your shots" coming from the rear turrets may be blocked.

As was mentioned, this is true of all ships.  That icon is only valid for the view point you are currently looking from regardless of the ship.  You either have to zoom out and guestimate when all turrets are clear or switch viewpoints and check each individual turret for the icon.

Members
6,914 posts
7,508 battles
1 hour ago, gonowgetdown said:

Firstly, let me start by saying I love this game. I'm not one of these who comes on here to just complain. WOW is a great game and I'm sure WG does everything in its power to maintain the game's quality. That said, there are two outstanding issues which should have been addressed by now and affect BBs particularly. 

Spotter Plane Bug

This bug started a few patches ago and I've now noticed it in Flamu's video, so I know its not just me. Before the bug, the spotter plane worked as expected: 

4. The camera would zoom in to 16KM, with an "above and angled" view thanks to the spotter. 

However, after a patch, this bug has come up: 

4. The camera instead LAUNCHES to 25KM away, taking your eyes off the target completely and requiring you to redo the process. 

Firstly, has anyone else experienced this? 

Edit, I posted about this in January of this year: 

Land / Island Indicator Warning Lag

I think we all know this. When you aim at a target and there is land between you and the target, an "land warning indicator," shows up as an icon of a mountain. The problem is, this thing is so sluggish that it is outright inaccurate. I cannot tell you how many times I've fired - where there was no warning indicator - and half my salvo goes right into the side of a mountain. What gives? Do you have to wait a few seconds before you fire for the indicator to come up? That's tough granted the precision shooting often necessary for a battle ship. Worse yet, imagine it doesn't pop up and you fire. You've now lost several, if not half, or the entirety of your salvo and must wait at least another 25 seconds for the next shot. =

Combined, these issues are very frustrating and, as you can see, have their strongest effect on BBs. 

WG, can we handle these asap please? The issues have been around for the better part of this year.

Thanks guys.

A) You seriously can't tell on your own when you're going to fire right into the rocks? Really?

B) You're really unable to simply adjust your sights after launching a plane? Really?

Neither one is in any way a nerf to anything, let alone your beloved castles of steel, and both can be, and should be, easily either avoidable, or overcome. For you to be frustrated by these "bugs", I mean, I really just can't even. Also, I'm truly glad I'm nowhere near you while gaming, I imagine your rage and salt overflows.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
18,196 posts
5,196 battles
1 hour ago, KingCakeBaby said:

The obstructed shot indicator is dependent on which turret you are currently viewing from and will only tell you if those shots are blocked. This is true with all ship classes.

Yep, I've had it go the other way, obstruction symbol comes up, but the other end of the ship's turrets shoot clear.

Members
18,196 posts
5,196 battles
8 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

A) You seriously can't tell on your own when you're going to fire right into the rocks? Really?

Not necessarily if you're behind an island. Sometimes a couple foot dip in the top of the island is all you need to get a salvo over it.

Members
3,468 posts
6,161 battles

Never had #1 and for #2 - not a bug as some of the turrets ARE blocked.  You just need to look at the ship indicator to see what guns are blocked.

Members
691 posts
1,115 battles

I'd like to report another bug with BBs. When I get shot at I get hurt! How am I supposed to have fun playing my BBs if I die!? WG I demand you fix this bug at once or I'm taking you to the highest authorities!!! :Smile-_tongue::Smile_hiding: 

Edited by Freddie_Creamer

Members
2,918 posts
1,365 battles

I fking hate the spotter plane view, how the hell do you hit anything in it?  What the hell actual angle are you viewing from anymore.  I know I lose all points of reference and now im just staring into the water up at some odd [edited]angle.  Cant really judge speed, distance from me to the target, travel time, any of it.....its a terrible view that needs to go away...

Spotter plane should just increase range, or, hell, increase accuracy...

• Cool 1

[PRSR-]
Members
174 posts
6,227 battles
10 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I've tried this. Switching back and forth. I have not found it helpful. There is still a lag before the indicator shows up.

[PRSR-]
Members
174 posts
6,227 battles
10 hours ago, Unabletony said:

The first isn't really a bug, and has been prominent through the whole game.

And what Baby said above^ 

No it has not been there the whole time. And why would it not be a bug. It was much better before it started doing that.

[PRSR-]
Members
174 posts
6,227 battles
10 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Well, none of these are really that problematic, especially the terrain indicator, just wait a few seconds. And even if they are irritating, they're certainly not nerfing BBs. And mostly play BBs (though not with spotter)

It is a nerd to BBs because you only get shots every ~25 seconds. If 1/2 of your volley goes into a mountain because the indicator didn't come up, its a nerf to your damage output given your low rate of fire. No, its not some massive one. But why not just expedite the process by which the indicator comes up? If its a server side issue and it can't simply be fixed, i get it. But at least point to it and consider it.

[PRSR-]
Members
174 posts
6,227 battles
5 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

I fking hate the spotter plane view, how the hell do you hit anything in it?  What the hell actual angle are you viewing from anymore.  I know I lose all points of reference and now im just staring into the water up at some odd [edited]angle.  Cant really judge speed, distance from me to the target, travel time, any of it.....its a terrible view that needs to go away...

Spotter plane should just increase range, or, hell, increase accuracy...

I don't now what ship you are using, but spotter plane is a fast way to find citadels in my montana. Flamu agrees with its use, btw. If you want to see it in action, LMK I can send you a video where I do 20-40k volleys using it. 

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,741 posts
3,228 battles

To be honest, BBs don't need a buff.

~Hunter

Members
3,468 posts
6,161 battles
3 hours ago, gonowgetdown said:

It is a nerd to BBs because you only get shots every ~25 seconds. If 1/2 of your volley goes into a mountain because the indicator didn't come up, its a nerf to your damage output given your low rate of fire. No, its not some massive one. But why not just expedite the process by which the indicator comes up? If its a server side issue and it can't simply be fixed, i get it. But at least point to it and consider it.

Look at the bottom left of the screen - position yourself correctly.  I will take shots all day even if half is obscured - especially if exposing myself by moving into the clear. This is how it has been for as long as I have been playing.

Alpha Tester
1,070 posts
4,500 battles
6 hours ago, gonowgetdown said:

I've tried this. Switching back and forth. I have not found it helpful. There is still a lag before the indicator shows up.

This is not a nerf. A nerf is a modification to the game mechanics that intentionally or otherwise degrades the performance of a specific object or group. I've never experienced lag and am usually pretty aware of which turrets might be blocked by islands. Perhaps the problem may be you or your hardware. Or even your tactics. BBs aren't meant to snipe from behind islands, they're meant to absorb the attention and damage from the enemy team and delete cruisers so your smaller ships can burn or torpedo BBs and destroyers. Pretty much every game I've seen that ended in a catastrophic loss was because the battleships on the losing team drove straight into the nearest island while their destroyers got pummeled in the caps and the cruisers disappeared soon after. Put your big boy pants on and point your bow in the general direction of the enemy. Leave the islands until you have to burn your damage control.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,358 posts
9,513 battles

Spotter Plane Bug

That one is really annoying.

[YORHA]
Members
3,323 posts

Note to all the smarta**es that are replying in the typical snarky "git gud" manner to problem #2:

WG has stated they are looking into this.

Edited by JCC45

[WHS]
[WHS]
Members
250 posts
8,282 battles

I'll agree with the spotter plane thing being annoying, I never used it much so I only started noticing it recently...

The spotter plane will aim where your indicator is at, doesn't matter who you are lock on to. When it goes to the absolute maximum range it's because your cursor was probably above or near the horizon line, so it thinks you want to aim beyond the map. At this point I just exit aim mode, place my cursor at some spot where the distance is closer than the target I want to shoot at, then aim again and move my view up into the enemy (it is more practical and quicker than trying to find the target all the way from max range)

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,399 posts
3,875 battles

The spotter plane bug where it throws your camera way out to max range, forcing you to adjust every time you zoom out to look around yourself, has actually been in the game since spotter planes were added back in CBT/OBT

I distinctly remember this happening the very first time I used the spotter plane on my Kongo after spotter planes were adjusted to increase main battery range.

But it's a bug. Not a nerf. Calling it a nerf is literally clickbait.

Edited by AraAragami

[PRSR-]
Members
174 posts
6,227 battles
5 hours ago, ElvenRed said:

I'll agree with the spotter plane thing being annoying, I never used it much so I only started noticing it recently...

The spotter plane will aim where your indicator is at, doesn't matter who you are lock on to. When it goes to the absolute maximum range it's because your cursor was probably above or near the horizon line, so it thinks you want to aim beyond the map. At this point I just exit aim mode, place my cursor at some spot where the distance is closer than the target I want to shoot at, then aim again and move my view up into the enemy (it is more practical and quicker than trying to find the target all the way from max range)

Yup. This is the exact issue. I just aim 5km away and then "scroll up" to the target.