Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Pan-Asian Captain Trainer

12 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
5,269 posts
9,104 battles

Howdy folks,

I've started the process of training up a captain for the upcoming Pan-Asian DD line, for now using the Lo Yang.  I also have Anshan to use for this purpose.

Unfortunately, the captain skills required for each ship is completely different, as are the playstyles, so right now I have two different captains in the 10-12 point range.

With this being said, which ship would be better to train up a captain with, whose skills would better mesh with the new line?  Forgive me, as I'm not completely familiar with the new line traits and how to train up a captain for it.  So which ship would be the better choice?

Members
156 posts
9,152 battles

I have both ships as well. I think you'll need two captains anyway. The tier 6 is a VMF ship, so I'd think the Anshan captain will work. The higher tiers will take a USN-themed captain as the Lo Yang does. The tier 7 is a RN design, so I'd think the USN captain would work. I'm not too concerned with the tier 5 and below as I'd think either captain works and we won't spend too much time with them. 

Members
1,458 posts
12,318 battles
1 minute ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

I have both ships as well. I think you'll need two captains anyway. The tier 6 is a VMF ship, so I'd think the Anshan captain will work. The higher tiers will take a USN-themed captain as the Lo Yang does. The tier 7 is a RN design, so I'd think the USN captain would work. I'm not too concerned with the tier 5 and below as I'd think either captain works and we won't spend too much time with them. 

This sounds right, I also have both, and I believe that the difference in skills will be needed.  Does make it a pain though, lack of focus means longer to a 19 point captain 

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,186 battles

Another option is to play your ships that have 19 point captains (if you have one) and farm eilte commander XP to get an early lead commander-wise that way

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

You need separate capts for LoYang and Anshan. They will also train for different tiers in the new Pan Asian line.  Loyang for T8-10 and Anshan for like T5-6. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,393 battles
3 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

Another option is to play your ships that have 19 point captains (if you have one) and farm eilte commander XP to get an early lead commander-wise that way

That's the way I do it.

[-K-]
Members
5,269 posts
9,104 battles
6 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

You need separate capts for LoYang and Anshan. They will also train for different tiers in the new Pan Asian line.  Loyang for T8-10 and Anshan for like T5-6. 

Just sucks that there isn't much fluidity to the line, to allow riding a captain up the line.

Guess we should expect this with such a patchwork tech tree line.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles
5 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Just sucks that there isn't much fluidity to the line, to allow riding a captain up the line.

Guess we should expect this with such a patchwork tech tree line.

Consider it excitement via different play styles within one branch. 

The same issue occurs in German BBs: t3-7 especially Gneisenau require Vigilance, and t3-7 its probably better to spec for accuracy (modules) and for survivability. t8-10 do not, and can go full secondaries. 

Same is true for IJN CA: t2-8 don't need Superintendent, t9-10 and the premiums can. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,841 posts
11,537 battles

I think you would be better off saving up Elite XP. Like you, both my Anshan and Lo Yang Captains are different builds. Since I think the ships in the branch may be different enough that I am not yet sure what Captain skill will work best. I also expect to have a few keepers along the way. My plan is to take new captains up the line till I find a keeper then start another captain on the next ship using Elite XP to bump them up to an acceptable level. If it looks like a ship might play like one of the premiums, then I will transfer that captain over. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Howdy folks,

I've started the process of training up a captain for the upcoming Pan-Asian DD line, for now using the Lo Yang.  I also have Anshan to use for this purpose.

Unfortunately, the captain skills required for each ship is completely different, as are the playstyles, so right now I have two different captains in the 10-12 point range.

With this being said, which ship would be better to train up a captain with, whose skills would better mesh with the new line?  Forgive me, as I'm not completely familiar with the new line traits and how to train up a captain for it.  So which ship would be the better choice?

Hard to say.  The reason is because the same reasons you're having trouble to decide if Anshan or Lo Yang is a better captain trainer for the upcoming Pan-Asian DD Line (I'll just use PADD for now).  PADD Line changes as you go up the line.  You have Russian style DDs mixed throughout the line, but once you are at Tier VIII+, you are playing US DDs.

If there is a specific PADD style you want, i.e. the Russian ones in the line, then work it using Anshan.  If you are looking at jumping to the high tier USN DD ones, then Lo Yang is your trainer.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
1 hour ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I think you would be better off saving up Elite XP. Like you, both my Anshan and Lo Yang Captains are different builds. Since I think the ships in the branch may be different enough that I am not yet sure what Captain skill will work best. I also expect to have a few keepers along the way. My plan is to take new captains up the line till I find a keeper then start another captain on the next ship using Elite XP to bump them up to an acceptable level. If it looks like a ship might play like one of the premiums, then I will transfer that captain over. 

:Smile_great:

Overall OP,  if it were me I would just stock up on free XP in preparation. We really don't know anything concrete how they are gonna play. 

Even if we did, they're still WIP.

I have both ships as well. One has a 19pt, the other a 10pt. 

I always run ships with 19pts just to bank the Commander XP, but I have 7 or 8 prolly at this point.

[-K-]
Members
5,269 posts
9,104 battles
14 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

13 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Hard to say.  The reason is because the same reasons you're having trouble to decide if Anshan or Lo Yang is a better captain trainer for the upcoming Pan-Asian DD Line (I'll just use PADD for now).  PADD Line changes as you go up the line.  You have Russian style DDs mixed throughout the line, but once you are at Tier VIII+, you are playing US DDs.

If there is a specific PADD style you want, i.e. the Russian ones in the line, then work it using Anshan.  If you are looking at jumping to the high tier USN DD ones, then Lo Yang is your trainer.

12 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

:Smile_great:

Overall OP,  if it were me I would just stock up on free XP in preparation. We really don't know anything concrete how they are gonna play. 

Even if we did, they're still WIP.

I have both ships as well. One has a 19pt, the other a 10pt. 

I always run ships with 19pts just to bank the Commander XP, but I have 7 or 8 prolly at this point.

Solid advice, guys.  I really do appreciate it.

Might just end up running Lo Yang and Anshan in the meantime until the line shakes out.  Lo Yang might be the better choice in the long run because, as was stated, the higher tier DD's are all American-based.

Sign in to follow this