AraAragami

A solution for Old Collections

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

41 posts in this topic

As a long-time MMO player I'm of the mind that new players should still have access to old content. Here's a solution to completed collections to make them accessible to new players: Make use of Operations

Currently when you clear an Operation with 5 stars, you get a 10-point captain. And then every subsequent 5-star clear is utterly pointless.

How about changing it so that the first clear is a 10-point captain, and then after that the first 5-star clear each day drops a container randomly selected from a finished/ended Collection? Just once per day, you have a chance at a Hunt for Bismarck, Anniversary, or Dunkirk container. And those who've completed those collections can still benefit from a few of the neat new flags and 10k credits from the dupe item.

How's this for a solution, @Pigeon_of_War?

I like this idea. It would be a good way to give access to collections where the event is long over and done with. Plus, with the way duplicates work from the collections, players that have completed the collections can still get a small bonus out of a subsequent 5-star operation run.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Bingo. And it puts no pressure on WG to re-run the actual event down the road.

I should point out I have no horse in this race: I've completed all 3 currently ended/unavailable Collections. This is a suggestion to benefit other players.

Edited by AraAragami

2 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Bingo. And it puts no pressure on WG to re-run the actual event down the road.

I should point out I have no horse in this race: I've completed all 3 currently ended/unavailable Collections. This is a suggestion to benefit other players.

Same situation for me as well. I've completed all the collections(aside from the Yamamoto collection, but that's a bit different). So other than getting the itch to train up the captain in my recently repurchased Cleveland, I have no real reason to re-run ops. As an older player that has completed the collections, I might just be a little more enticed to do so with some credits from a duplicate and a special flag up for grabs.

I've also completed the collections but I do like your idea also.

While I applaud the idea and am tempted to agree, the thing to remember is that what makes these collections special is that they're only briefly available. It would make them a lot less special if anyone could just complete them at any time, regardless of how long the event lasts.

2 minutes ago, Lert said:

While I applaud the idea and am tempted to agree, the thing to remember is that what makes these collections special is that they're only briefly available. It would make them a lot less special if anyone could just complete them at any time, regardless of how long the event lasts.

And why is that? Why enforce artificial scarcity and cut new players off from enjoying content? Why throw away that development? What purpose does it serve other than feeding your specific ego? Why are you, specifically, more deserving of enjoying this game more than newer players?

And why does this impact you, specifically, when other players would have to work far, far longer to get the same thing you already have?

And why should players who due to whatever reason couldn't complete the collections when they were live be permanently incapable of getting those last 2-3 items?

Why, other than your own ego, is this a thing that needs to be?

Because if you continuously allow such content to be accessible it deprecates the value of them. Making all the time and effort for the people who earned them valued less then they want it to be. You cant always pander to the lowest player. Sometimes, and I know you wont like this, you have to allow things to be exclusive so other players can enjoy what they earned and continue to try and earn other rewards. If everything could be bought or eventually received there would be a very low drive to do anything. And one more thing, I don't think its appropriate to lash out on the first guy that doesn't agree with you and say its all his ego. I know this is the internet but come on man, he's just putting his two cents in.

25 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

And why is that? Why enforce artificial scarcity and cut new players off from enjoying content? Why throw away that development? What purpose does it serve other than feeding your specific ego? Why are you, specifically, more deserving of enjoying this game more than newer players?

And why does this impact you, specifically, when other players would have to work far, far longer to get the same thing you already have?

And why should players who due to whatever reason couldn't complete the collections when they were live be permanently incapable of getting those last 2-3 items?

Why, other than your own ego, is this a thing that needs to be?

Wow, that went downhill at the speed of light. I don't think any personal "I want" sentiments were expressed in the reply you got from @Lert, just a well thought out and reasonably explained summation of the situation as a whole, and why it is the way it is. No one is attacking your arguments or your stance on the issue, so there is no reason to become so aggressive and agitated.

23 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Wow, that went downhill at the speed of light. I don't think any personal "I want" sentiments were expressed in the reply you got from @Lert, just a well thought out and reasonably explained summation of the situation as a whole, and why it is the way it is. No one is attacking your arguments or your stance on the issue, so there is no reason to become so aggressive and agitated.

The subject of "It becomes less special just because other players have a chance at it" actually really irritates me, and has for over a decade no matter what game it comes up in.

Player entitlement is one of the worst things about this medium, especially since it has no actual point. Your stuff does not become "less special" just because some other people have the chance of doing a lot more work than you did to get it several months/over a year after you did.

Edited by AraAragami

8 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

The subject of "It becomes less special just because other players have a chance at it" actually really irritates me, and has for over a decade no matter what game it comes up in.

I can understand the frustration of being close to earning a prize and falling short because of time; I think almost everyone has experienced that at sometime or another. And I am also no fan of elitism when it comes to the game, or any players right to access any part of it. (I can show you some epic posts concerning my stance on elitism in the game.) I don't think @Lert was advocating either of those stances, however; it is my opinion he was just offering an explanation. I have spoken (typed? for lack of a better term) with him on several occasions and find him the furthest thing from an elitist you could imagine.

Some players like to lord material things over others because it makes them feel "special", when if they would have only asked the entire population would have been glad to tell them just how special they really are. So when they get some prize (electrons in a cutsie pattern?) they lord it over the gen pop with "Look, I got this and you didn't cuz you suck!" when, really, what they should be saying is "Look, I got this because I have absolutely no life and spend all my time in front of my computer which is why I got this so freakin' quick!"

I mean, yeah, it's frustrating and detrimental to the social aspects of the game; but you can't teach a pig to sing; you waste your time and annoy the pig. So don't give out any singing lessons; at least not for free!

16 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I can understand the frustration of being close to earning a prize and falling short because of time; I think almost everyone has experienced that at sometime or another. And I am also no fan of elitism when it comes to the game, or any players right to access any part of it. (I can show you some epic posts concerning my stance on elitism in the game.) I don't think @Lert was advocating either of those stances, however; it is my opinion he was just offering an explanation. I have spoken (typed? for lack of a better term) with him on several occasions and find him the furthest thing from an elitist you could imagine.

Some players like to lord material things over others because it makes them feel "special", when if they would have only asked the entire population would have been glad to tell them just how special they really are. So when they get some prize (electrons in a cutsie pattern?) they lord it over the gen pop with "Look, I got this and you didn't cuz you suck!" when, really, what they should be saying is "Look, I got this because I have absolutely no life and spend all my time in front of my computer which is why I got this so freakin' quick!"

I mean, yeah, it's frustrating and detrimental to the social aspects of the game; but you can't teach a pig to sing; you waste your time and annoy the pig. So don't give out any singing lessons; at least not for free!

And my problem with it is that it is a non-argument fueled entirely by entitlement and ego. It solves no problems and serves only to excuse the problem that is trying to be solved.

This line of thinking doesn't excuse anything, and only serves to make the game less appealing over time. This will negatively impact player numbers and player retention, as they learn about all the things they cannot possibly have. Collaboration events like Arpeggio are one thing-- that contract expired-- but collection events run by WG, for WG, are different and not held under any contract with any external company. Therefore, there is no excuse to exclude new players from working (slowly, mind) towards this content that older players already earned.

Especially since they'd have to work much harder for it.

13 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Therefore, there is no excuse to exclude new players from working (slowly, mind) towards this content that older players already earned.

No, I agree; they should be like the event which got players the Shinonome, which lasted a very long time and might still be running.

7 minutes ago, Umikami said:

No, I agree; they should be like the event which got players the Shinonome, which lasted a very long time and might still be running.

That's a permanent campaign and, again, an entirely different thing.

I'm trying to resolve the old Collections issue as well as resolve the whole "What's the point of 5 stars after the first time" issue with Operations.

2 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

That's a permanent campaign and, again, an entirely different thing.

I'm trying to resolve the old Collections issue as well as resolve the whole "What's the point of 5 stars after the first time" issue with Operations.

Make them ALL permanent?

I like the idea of Operations, you can tell they put a lot of work into the scenarios. The big problem is re-playablility like the OP said, there is no point after getting 5 stars. It seems a huge waste. I suggested offering rewards for each class of ship. Since the 10 point captain is the big reward (IMHO) that they should change that reward for each class to a container, doubloons, free xp, etc. This would quadruple the replay value of each one of scenarios.

I don't have a problem with offering collection items as rewards personally and can see that it may be a way to help out those who missed out on the original collection missions. Just not sure how many people this would appeal to though, new players and a few who didn't manage to complete their collections. 

It would appeal to everyone. Even players who completed the collections get credits for the dupe item and the flags that came with it in the container.

16 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

It would appeal to everyone. Even players who completed the collections get credits for the dupe item and the flags that came with it in the container.

I agree this is a good idea.  

I dont want to sound rude, there is enough of that in the game itself from players.  I wasnt able to finish the first two because of work but came very close to both.  I do wish there was a way to finish them even if it meant I pay.

Love the idea, yet I feel that they should also offer other content that has been discontinued for a limited time. Like the Arpeggio ships for example, for players with an incomplete fleet. I have all but the Takao and it drives me up the wall to think that this is the only 'collection' that I have that is incomplete.

If not, than at least a way for me to acquire it from another player that has no use for it.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:41 AM, AraAragami said:

How's this for a solution, @Pigeon_of_War?

It's a solid idea. I'll forward it up the chain and see if it can be implemented. 

Great idea!!!