Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BrandonKF

Coming Home to American Destroyers...

12 comments in this topic

Members
594 posts
4,444 battles

I started grinding the line of Japanese destroyers. Yesterday I hit the wall literally. Three battles in the Mutsuki, three losses, and none with any appreciable damage to my handle.

I raged in chat, and finally spoke with a gentleman who understood my anger and frustration. His advice... go American.

I came home.

And here are the fruits of the labors from the latest battle this morning after getting in the Clemson.

Special mention goes to @velociraptor_7, who hung in with me at the A cap and helped me fend off three DDs, the carrier, and two battleships. I have finally discovered the joy of being able to punch at my weight class. I know there's a wall to be hit at tier 5, but at least with American destroyers I feel much more capable of handling threats than in Japanese ninjas.

Got something to brag about? Feel free to post it here, and if you have any more tips for me, drop them like you just spun the fish up.

clemson-first-victory.png

clemson-first-victory2.png

• Cool 1

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,085 posts
9,017 battles

Clemson is a good dd, don't base the line on that ship though.  

[HYDRA]
Members
136 posts
1,167 battles

The Nicholas is great as well, it outguns some cruisers (you can citadel them too). the Farragut has a problem called the Lexington, it may be two tiers above you but I seem to get struck by them a lot and it's hard to dodge that many bombs

Members
1,459 posts
12,365 battles

Clemson is one of the only lower tier tech tree ships I have kept, just great fun.  All the DD lines are enjoyable, each have there own idiosyncratic issues... but one of my favorites, the Fletcher is located on the American line, so give them all a try

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,668 battles

Yeah I absolutely love to Clemson and as far as the American line I really enjoyed just about all of them

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,355 battles
7 hours ago, Nachoo31 said:

Clemson is a good dd, don't base the line on that ship though.

7 hours ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

The whole line is excellent. Enjoy!

Nothing like continuity in getting your advice, LOL!! They are both giving you their honest opinions.

My honest opinion is that the USN DD line is competitive and playable throughout it's tiers. Having said that, it also has it's chuckholes, pitfalls, and distressing characteristics, like every other line.

The tier 5 wall isn't bad for the USN DD's, as Nicholas is the first DD to mount the 127's, and also has very good torp tube placement on all four of her triple tubes.

You will really miss those when you get to Farragut, which suffers from being the DD after Nicholas.

Mahan makes it a little better by adding one centerline launcher, but slaps you right in the kisser with her garbage dump detection.

The rest of the line is heaven;

Benson, which shows you what a DD should be;

Fletcher, which teaches you that even great can be improved on;

and Gearing, which plays very differently but has chain saw guns and very good torps.

These are all good ships, with a couple of great ones tossed in; enjoy!

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,085 posts
9,017 battles

I'm the odd duck on this line. I hate the Benson and Fletcher, Love the Gearing.  Fletcher never took damage well no matter how I adjusted. Benson, torps are slow and having to use guns now with the gun bloom its rough.

[_DKM_]
Members
12 posts
6,204 battles

I play exclusively DD's, mostly IJN and USA. Loved the jap line until the change, that Minekaze was a beast before they screwed up the line. I have great success with my Gearing set up for stealth, captain perks etc. You can raise some serious havoc in you are able to get within 6 K unnoticed. Just two battles I had today with my Gearing. 

Spoiler

Screenshot 2017-10-10 12.12.45.png

Screenshot 2017-10-10 12.12.56.png

Screenshot 2017-10-10 12.13.11.png

Screenshot 2017-10-10 12.53.32.png

Screenshot 2017-10-10 12.53.40.png

Screenshot 2017-10-10 12.53.53.png

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts
On 10/9/2017 at 1:32 PM, Herodotus4 said:

The Nicholas is great as well, it outguns some cruisers (you can citadel them too). the Farragut has a problem called the Lexington, it may be two tiers above you but I seem to get struck by them a lot and it's hard to dodge that many bombs

In my Experience, the only problem with Farragut is trying to play it in Co-op.   The tier 6 bots are murder on DD's, and will mostly frustrate you into playing something else.   In randoms, it was an entirely different story- I could actually PLAY a US DD, as a US DD, and not a hide at range do nothing.

You just have to put up with or ignore all the Cap'n Saltys who've been spoiled by unicum DD mains, and freak out when they get "stuck" with a mere mortal, or-gasp- a tater (like me playing a DD lol).

[CAFE]
Members
394 posts
11,003 battles

USN DDs are all fun to play. Hopefully you enjoy the rest of the line!

Beta Testers
374 posts
2,537 battles

Unfortunately, after the Clemson, you run into what's known as "floaty" shells. You're going to struggle to hit anything out further than 6km if it isn't a large cruiser. God forbid you try to get into a gunfight with a Russian DD. Use your guns as self defense only.

Sign in to follow this