You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ericson38

Smoke Hack on Edinburg

47 comments in this topic

Members
700 posts
10,501 battles

Just played against an Edinburg who popped smoke 2 times in less than 2 minutes game play. Is that possible (a hack). I have one of these, impossible. It was also the team kill leader with 3. I was in QE BB.

Edited by Ericson38

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles

Nearly 8000 battles, what a shame.

The answer should be pretty obvious, something else smoked it as well.

• Cool 2

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,725 battles

:Smile_great:

Edited by Gizuke
  • Cool 1

Members
700 posts
10,501 battles

Stopped in front of me and popped smoke, than sank me, then moved a bit away out of smoke and popped another, towards end of game. No other ships close by. Also, get some coffee,

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles

Well then you judge time poorly. They can have very low down time between smokes, but it will never be using two charges in two minutes.

Before you assert it again, no, hacking is not possible. Your game client sends your actions to the server along with other players, and the server reports back to all the players what is going on in the game. People can not make the server allow them to cheat in this way. The only way cheating can occur is manipulating the information the server reports to you, such as giving you an aim lead indicator for enemy ships.

Members
700 posts
10,501 battles

I have this ship also, so know how it plays. How do you know hacking is not possible for smoke time ? It moved out of one smoke, then promptly set another less than a 1km away I estimate after getting long range fire from a couple on my team. 

Edited by Ericson38

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles
Just now, Ericson38 said:

I have this ship also, so know how it plays. How do you know hacking is not possible for smoke time ?

Because the server is keeping track of your smokes recharge time. There is no way to force the server to give you an impossible result without breaking into the server.

Simply owning something doesn't mean you know how it works. Sorry.

• Cool 1

Members
700 posts
10,501 battles

Are you a SW developer, because I was at one time. I would say that having that ship would qualify for knowing how it plays.

Edited by Ericson38

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles
1 minute ago, Ericson38 said:

Are you a SW developer, because I was at one time.

Good for you

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
11 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

Are you a SW developer, because I was at one time. I would say that having that ship would qualify for knowing how it plays.

Then you should know the difference between server side and client side processes.

Timers are server side.

While not impossible to hack those (nothing is impossible to hack) it would be /extremely difficult/ and would require felony levels of security breaching. The odds someone is risking jail time to get an extra smoke charge by invading Wargaming servers with malicious code is practically 0%.  

• Cool 2

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles
5 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

I would say that having that ship would qualify for knowing how it plays.

Uh, well this is the point people will get whiney.

Your level of 'know' gets you to about wasd, look around, shoot and blow up. I doubt it extends far enough to know the lowest possible time between last puff extinguish and charge reload. Feel free to prove me wrong, and then once you know that time, you'll probably find that it fits.

Well, or you could just simply realize that most of the information you get in the game is server side. This means that in order to manipulate information that is given from the server, you have to get into the server and change it without it realizing you did this for every single match you play.

Oh, and before you do get whiney and try to say i am stat shaming you or something, you did come at me with the 'well i'm a SW developer and you're probably not, so I'm right" garbage.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

There are many things that help the cool down of consumables from flags, to captain skills. It could easily been someone running the consumable flag + Jack Dunkirk with Jack of all Trades skill to get his smoke up really quickly.

Members
700 posts
10,501 battles

Replays not enabled, first time I have ever seen it, wondering if anyone else had encountered it. Got the circle on the sea surface both times. Eddy smoke reload time is 6 minutes, radius increase of 20% with captain skill, no other modifiers. SW developer for Unix based C, and Fortran/Pascal in the 80s. Lay off the personal crap, I'm talking about the smoke, don't drift.

There is a 5% reduction flag for reload of consumable, and the Jack of all trades skill is good for 5% more, so 10 % reduction is .6 minutes or 36 seconds, from a 240 second reload time.

Edited by Ericson38

Members
700 posts
10,501 battles

I saw what I saw, so be it (really). I'm not going to figure out how it happened here, since if I could do that on the fly, everyone would be hacking the game, right ?

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
31 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

Eddy smoke reload time is 6 minutes.

Uh, no it is not.

Its reload time is 240s max and somewhere around 160s for premium smoke.

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles
8 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

Replays not enabled, first time I have ever seen it, wondering if anyone else had encountered it. Got the circle on the sea surface both times. Eddy smoke reload time is 6 minutes, radius increase of 20% with captain skill, no other modifiers. SW developer for Unix based C, and Fortran/Pascal in the 80s. Lay off the personal crap, I'm talking about the smoke, don't drift.

There is a 5% reduction flag for reload of consumable, and the Jack of all trades skill is good for 5% more, so 10 % reduction is .6 minutes or 36 seconds, from a 240 second reload time.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhah.

oh you poor thing. 8000 battles, forgets premium consumables exist. 

Members
700 posts
10,501 battles

That's for that correction, 4 minutes standard smoke, and 3.5 minutes with smoke II. Taking 10% off of 160 seconds is 16 seconds, leaving 144 seconds, or 3 minutes 24 seconds.

[HINON]
Members
1,491 posts
14,639 battles

Base Edinburge premium smoke reload is 160s, and that smoke lasts for 106s. So that is only a 54s downtime between smokes as long as the player is running a premium smokescreen.

Spoiler

9gsRvoF.png?1

Edited by Jnobsir

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,246 posts
3,106 battles
10 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

2 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Uh, no it is not.

Its reload time is 240s max and somewhere aroung 160s for premium smoke.

2UVPaln.png

zRy9pqn.png

1 minute ago, Ericson38 said:

That's for that correction, 4 minutes standard smoke, and 3.5 minutes with smoke II. Taking 10% off of 160 seconds is 16 seconds, leaving 144 seconds, or 3 minutes 24 seconds.

Might want to check your math there. 144 seconds is 2 minutes and 24 seconds. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,132 battles

As people have said, some hacks are possible. Hacking server calculations, not going to happen.

However, did you actually count the time, or did you guess? First, @Doomlock pointed out that premium cooldown is 160sec, only 40sec more than 2 minutes. Second, I forget what the duration of the RN smoke is, but it's pretty close to the cooldown. So it's completely possible that he smoked, killed you, then moved out as he smoke gave up, and in less than a minute his smoke was off cooldown again.

If you're going to go around making hack accusations, have replays enabled to back yourself up. The number of common things people think are hacks is astounding

Members
700 posts
10,501 battles
1 minute ago, RivertheRoyal said:

2UVPaln.png

zRy9pqn.png

Might want to check your math there. 144 seconds is 2 minutes and 24 seconds. 

Yes, meant 2 minutes 24 seconds. Typo.

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles
2 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

3.5 minutes with smoke 2? Are you stupid mister software developer? 160 seconds is 2 minutes and 40 seconds. 

Are you happy to concede your evident lack of knowledge of the situation means you came to the wrong conclusion yet? Please say yes.