Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BrandonKF

My First Success in HSF Harekaze...

37 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
594 posts
4,414 battles

I think I would have had a heart attack... :fish_panic:

Playing this time, after sucking in Mutsuki twice, I didn't almost have the balls to get in this ship again... not after the last few devastating defeats.

Somehow, someway, the team's destroyer captains other than myself survived with me until the end match, and we skinned a win.

I even got to hit the last enemy destroyer with a torp spread and guns at the end of match, almost sealing the deal.

For the first time, I feel accomplished as a destroyer captain.

Just took a lot of heartache in the meantime to get the hang of avoiding ALL THE FIRE.

I even typed out a screw the radar to the Droskoi and ALL FIVE ships that pummeled me and filled the air surrounding my screen with fire and death. If I didn't have the Harekaze dispersion camo and my engine boost activated, I probably wouldn't have survived. I'm still trying to grasp how I did.

I have to think about future captain skills with the lady... my debate is Survivability Expert (I'd need to wait until next skill level to buy it), or Adrenaline Rush right now, and wait 3 whole levels to get SE.

Honestly, after some thought, I'll probably crack and get Adrenaline Rush now, because the minute and a half wait time to get my torps (even with the torpedo acceleration skill) is just abysmal right now.

 

PS: Devastating Strike is honorable mention to the destroyer captain that I blind-launched torps into a smoke screen at 4 minutes in, and scored one hit. Don't ask me how.

 

harekaze-victory-firsttime-random.png

Edited by BrandonKF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,406
[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,514 posts
4,394 battles
4 hours ago, BrandonKF said:

 

Just took a lot of heartache in the meantime to get the hang of avoiding ALL THE FIRE.

I even typed out a screw the radar to the Droskoi and ALL FIVE ships that pummeled me and filled the air surrounding my screen with fire and death. If I didn't have the Harekaze dispersion camo and my engine boost activated, I probably wouldn't have survived. I'm still trying to grasp how I did.

 

 

This was how your Harekaze's helmsgirl probably felt. 

 

tOpw1tp.gif

 

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
594 posts
4,414 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Next stop; 50k damage!

 

Goal achieved just now. I hate carriers.

 

2 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

 

This was how your Harekaze's helmsgirl probably felt. 

 

tOpw1tp.gif

 

 

Lol, yup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
603 posts
7,087 battles

eCpsJpQ.jpg

those match which you have 0 luck on torp.......at least she has some guns.

Those Type 90 really is a disapppointment on this ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
432
[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

torpedoes in the game are a disappointment.  

Level: inception. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
603 posts
7,087 battles
1 hour ago, BlailBlerg said:

torpedoes in the game are a disappointment.  

Level: inception. 

Type 90 on Harekaze in particular is the second most trash torp in the entire IJN line imo. (first being Shimakaze's 20km Type 93)

 

Type 90 on Akatsuki / Shiratsuyu is decent. 17k damage 62 kt at T7 isn't too bad. plus Akatsuki and Shiratsuyu have better reload time.

but putting those torp on a T8 Harekaze really show its weakness. and for unknown reason, WG give 112 sec reload instead of 101sec like the Shiratsuyu.

on top of that the Type 90 gives the enemy really long reaction time.

 

That mean....In terms of torp performance....Harekaze is actually below T7 level. yet you face a lot T10 in this ship (from the stat I have,, 43% of your matches are T10 match)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
594 posts
4,414 battles

Tried taking on tier 10s... it didn't work out well. Zero. Nothing. I got sunk by a Midway. No damage. No enemy ships sunk. I don't talk about that.

Suffice to say, the torp reload time on Harekaze is "let me step back and smoke my cigarette" before you see your torps go active again. Of course, if you're in the thick of it, it's an eternity, and in the meantime you're too focused on trying NOT to get hit to really notice.

I've only ever grinded up to the Mutsuki, but after so much abysmal performance in it, I switched up to American destroyers and started grinding them. Instantly, I feel I'm doing better. My skills are sharper, I'm able to punch at my weight level, and I'm able to anticipate torping. So it might be that the Japanese line truly is just as bad as they say it is. Stealth is useless without maneuverability, and Japanese destroyers are one of the few that mimic more realistic expectations and lose a LOT of speed in the tight turns with very slow acceleration back up. That's me speaking with less than 500 battles in them, but I've seen it far too often already.

I know some might argue that "get good", but I'm sorry, if an AVERAGE player, like me, is unable to get SOME performance out of these machines at least once in every three or four battles (you know, the blind squirrel finding an acorn), then it just isn't going to encourage people to play.

Harekaze I can accept because I purchased her deliberately for the choices she offers. I like flexibility. I also like the premium credits. And she can be a great little ship for learning what captain skills are best for destroyers.

Otherwise, I'll probably free XP through a few of these lines and see what happens when I get a suitable high-tier destroyer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112
[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,294 battles

IJN DD are not for the faint hearted.  If you gave up on IJN DD with less than 45 battles then you have a faint heart and belong with USN DD's, and probably russians too.  ;) 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
594 posts
4,414 battles
10 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

IJN DD are not for the faint hearted.  If you gave up on IJN DD with less than 45 battles then you have a faint heart and belong with USN DD's, and probably russians too.  ;) 

Probably.

However, I just came out of this one. First time in seven battles we won and I survived.

I also learnt a few tricks about using the Harekaze in heavy island maps. To wit, don't go into open ocean if you can help it.

 

harekaze-victory-second.png

harekaze-victory-second2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
603 posts
7,087 battles
4 hours ago, BrandonKF said:

Probably.

However, I just came out of this one. First time in seven battles we won and I survived.

I also learnt a few tricks about using the Harekaze in heavy island maps. To wit, don't go into open ocean if you can help it.

 

harekaze-victory-second.png

harekaze-victory-second2.png

I play it the exact opposite way. I avoid islands as much as I can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112
[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,294 battles
9 hours ago, BrandonKF said:

Probably.

However, I just came out of this one. First time in seven battles we won and I survived.

I also learnt a few tricks about using the Harekaze in heavy island maps. To wit, don't go into open ocean if you can help it.

With 10 km torps, theres no real reason to avoid it either.  You're the perfect hybrid torpedobote and gunship with ultra-low concealment.  Honestly, to me, you need more practice.  Radar is the only thing that can stop you.  Work around that thought.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
594 posts
4,414 battles
On 10/10/2017 at 7:58 AM, AnimaL21 said:

With 10 km torps, theres no real reason to avoid it either.  You're the perfect hybrid torpedobote and gunship with ultra-low concealment.  Honestly, to me, you need more practice.  Radar is the only thing that can stop you.  Work around that thought.  

 

On 10/9/2017 at 11:05 AM, AnimaL21 said:

IJN DD are not for the faint hearted.  If you gave up on IJN DD with less than 45 battles then you have a faint heart and belong with USN DD's, and probably russians too.  ;) 

 

 

 

 

 

On 10/10/2017 at 2:50 AM, SkyRail said:

I play it the exact opposite way. I avoid islands as much as I can

 

You're all probably right. 

Got back in the Mutsuki tonight.

Amazingly, pulled out with more wins than losses.

Died, often, but stayed alive longer so I could help the team. Didn't last long in the Nicholas when I took her out tonight. Kamikaze driver finished me after a cruiser blind sided me.

I cussed the K driver, but he did right.

I need to work on situational awareness and average sight lines until I get Concealment Expert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112
[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,294 battles

My lesson in mutsuki (pre split tho): staggered wide spreads at >8km are your friend.  Do your damage with floods.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
354
[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,079 posts
8,962 battles
6 hours ago, BrandonKF said:

 

 

 

You're all probably right. 

Got back in the Mutsuki tonight.

Amazingly, pulled out with more wins than losses.

Died, often, but stayed alive longer so I could help the team. Didn't last long in the Nicholas when I took her out tonight. Kamikaze driver finished me after a cruiser blind sided me.

I cussed the K driver, but he did right.

I need to work on situational awareness and average sight lines until I get Concealment Expert.

Did you get to play the old Mutsucki?  You have no idea then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles

ummmm what the harekaze is [edited] awesome dude. i once got a game with 18 torps hit for something like 160k dmg? but anyways it has to be played smartly dont sit make torp range play a little ballsy and get in there stack those floods and BOOM you have a good game.

 

 

dark.png

 

ships:

United States Navy = Erie, Smith, St. Louis, South carolina, Clemson, Pheonix, Wyoming, New York, Farragut, Cleveland, New Mexico, Mahan, Sims, Saipan, Atlanta, Pensacola, Colorado, Benson, New Orleans, North carolina, Baltimore, Iowa, Montana, Des moines

 

IJN = Hashidate, isokaze, kawachi, myogi, ishzuchi, kongo, fuso, Kaga, harekaze

 

French = Bouganville, fraint.

 

Royal Navy = Black Swan, bellephron, emreald, leander, fiji, belfast, edinburgh, neptune, minotaur.

 

germany = hemerlin, v-25, nassau, kasier, konig, konigsberg, bismarck

 

russian = gnevy, kirov, kutuzov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,711 battles

I haven't had any epic battles in Harekaze but the thing is so much fun. I have been experimenting with TRB but I found you need the Kagero guns for the Alpha damage. It's really funny when you can hold an entire flank alone with no smoke!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
594 posts
4,414 battles
5 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

My lesson in mutsuki (pre split tho): staggered wide spreads at >8km are your friend.  Do your damage with floods.  

Might be trying that in caps against other DDs and fast cruisers.

5 hours ago, Nachoo31 said:

Did you get to play the old Mutsucki?  You have no idea then.

Nope.

4 hours ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

ummmm what the harekaze is f**king awesome dude. i once got a game with 18 torps hit for something like 160k dmg? but anyways it has to be played smartly dont sit make torp range play a little ballsy and get in there stack those floods and BOOM you have a good game.

 

 

dark.png

 

 

Ballsy gets me killed. I need CE to avoid stuff, unless radar. Then big time problems.

33 minutes ago, Pete_Darling said:

I haven't had any epic battles in Harekaze but the thing is so much fun. I have been experimenting with TRB but I found you need the Kagero guns for the Alpha damage. It's really funny when you can hold an entire flank alone with no smoke!! 

I applaud your efforts. I haven't done anything that epic yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
3 minutes ago, BrandonKF said:

Might be trying that in caps against other DDs and fast cruisers.

Nope.

Ballsy gets me killed. I need CE to avoid stuff, unless radar. Then big time problems.

I applaud your efforts. I haven't done anything that epic yet.

Then dont go to radar ships? Or stay only .5km within their radar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
603 posts
7,087 battles
1 hour ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Then dont go to radar ships? Or stay only .5km within their radar?

just let you know, Russian radar ships have radar outrange both your guns and torps.

and T10 US, UK cruisers have 9.9km radar range, which is only 100m short of your torp range.

 

after 200+ battles in this ship, I can say there is not much you can do against radar other then get into defensive immediately and run. 

All you can do is call out target and hope your BB pay attention to that and take those ships out

 

DON'T FORGET TO SHOOT THEM BACK while you run. some damage is always better than none. and the only nice thing about the short range gun is, by the time you make it out of radar range, you will not get detect cos your bloom radius is actually shorter than the radar range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,711 battles
4 minutes ago, SkyRail said:

DON'T FORGET TO SHOOT THEM BACK while you run. some damage is always better than none. and the only nice thing about the short range gun is, by the time you make it out of radar range, you will not get detect cos your bloom radius is actually shorter than the radar range.

2 hours ago, BrandonKF said:

I applaud your efforts. I haven't done anything that epic yet.

 

You pulled a 50K game you are doing just fine. Harekaze, as fun as it is, can be difficult. Your torps are lower yield and slow reloads. They can be seen from outer space so you really have to try to catch people off guard. I also agree with SkyRail, Indy to DM have 9.9km long duration radar where RU have short duration longer range. A USN ship hits you run and kite RU hits you with radar just laugh it off and hold up. Just a side note, you play Harekaze well it doesn't transfer backward very well. You will get used to the low detection and under tier 8 does not have that very often. Remember Akat is 6.4km which doesn't seem like a lot but it can bite you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
1 hour ago, SkyRail said:

just let you know, Russian radar ships have radar outrange both your guns and torps.

and T10 US, UK cruisers have 9.9km radar range, which is only 100m short of your torp range.

 

after 200+ battles in this ship, I can say there is not much you can do against radar other then get into defensive immediately and run. 

All you can do is call out target and hope your BB pay attention to that and take those ships out

 

DON'T FORGET TO SHOOT THEM BACK while you run. some damage is always better than none. and the only nice thing about the short range gun is, by the time you make it out of radar range, you will not get detect cos your bloom radius is actually shorter than the radar range.

What? Just because a ship is 12-13km away doesnt mean it stays that way,... if its sailing toward you i can hit bb's from 12.8km away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
594 posts
4,414 battles
4 hours ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Then dont go to radar ships? Or stay only .5km within their radar?

I don't know them that well, or how the radar mechanics work. I just don't stay still if I'm hydroed or lit.

 

2 hours ago, SkyRail said:

just let you know, Russian radar ships have radar outrange both your guns and torps.

and T10 US, UK cruisers have 9.9km radar range, which is only 100m short of your torp range.

 

after 200+ battles in this ship, I can say there is not much you can do against radar other then get into defensive immediately and run. 

All you can do is call out target and hope your BB pay attention to that and take those ships out

 

DON'T FORGET TO SHOOT THEM BACK while you run. some damage is always better than none. and the only nice thing about the short range gun is, by the time you make it out of radar range, you will not get detect cos your bloom radius is actually shorter than the radar range.

 

Eh, situational. And accuracy depends on which hull I'm using. I prefer the punch and pivot of the American guns.

 

1 hour ago, Pete_Darling said:

 

You pulled a 50K game you are doing just fine. Harekaze, as fun as it is, can be difficult. Your torps are lower yield and slow reloads. They can be seen from outer space so you really have to try to catch people off guard. I also agree with SkyRail, Indy to DM have 9.9km long duration radar where RU have short duration longer range. A USN ship hits you run and kite RU hits you with radar just laugh it off and hold up. Just a side note, you play Harekaze well it doesn't transfer backward very well. You will get used to the low detection and under tier 8 does not have that very often. Remember Akat is 6.4km which doesn't seem like a lot but it can bite you. 

 

Good to keep in mind. I'm grinding Mutsuki again, so by that point I should be good to go.

I'm also going back to Isokaze for the gun line IJN DDs.

 

18 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

What? Just because a ship is 12-13km away doesnt mean it stays that way,... if its sailing toward you i can hit bb's from 12.8km away

 

They have to keep sailing straight though. Turn off 10 degrees, as many are wont to do, you miss and out of torps for eternity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[V_KNG]
Members
560 posts
8,711 battles
10 minutes ago, BrandonKF said:

Eh, situational. And accuracy depends on which hull I'm using. I prefer the punch and pivot of the American guns.

 

Watch those USN guns they break REALLY easy. I had a game that I lost all but one, destroyed not broke. When I run smoke and a hybrid (Yugumo) captain I use the Akizuki guns and the Kagero guns in a torpedo build, TRB (Shima captain).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
603 posts
7,087 battles
1 hour ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

What? Just because a ship is 12-13km away doesnt mean it stays that way,... if its sailing toward you i can hit bb's from 12.8km away

those are not the main thing you should be aiming at. of cos, if they are potato enough to just go straight line and no one spot for them, launch the torp. but those are rare.

 

1 hour ago, BrandonKF said:

Eh, situational. And accuracy depends on which hull I'm using. I prefer the punch and pivot of the American guns.

good luck with those guns. I don't think I have ever lost to a Harekaze in a gun fight using those USN guns.

3 guns set up is super undergun at T8, plus those meh shell arc. tbh, I'd pick the original 12.7 over those. but its your preference, who knows...maybe you can be successful with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×