You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ranghena

Scharnhorst Commander skill

9 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
369 battles

Hi all, Just bought this Amazing Ship, Just want to know which skill i have to set for her commander.

Best secondary setup or what else?

Please let me now the right skills One bye One :D

[90THC]
Beta Testers
49 posts
4,776 battles

I put them in reserve and use the captains from my german ships in her

[-VT3-]
Members
1,628 posts
3,364 battles

I use the captains from my German CRUISERS in Scharnhorst, because the skills are frankly more useful.  Things like Demo Expert and Expert Loader, for instance.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,880 posts
11,603 battles

I use my Bismark/Tirpitz Captain, secondary build. I love it and have no desire to have a Scharn specific captain. 

59daa68266b35_ScreenShot2017-10-08at5_27_16PM.thumb.png.43e22d28f670b7ae38dcabb7e7772149.png

[WOLF5]
Members
1,543 posts
2,154 battles

What other German Ship captains do you have? Put them in it. Most people don't have dedicated captains for premiums, we use them for training line captains. For example, I have a 17pt USN commander. I've specc'd him for USN BBs. He's currently in the IA, but I also play him in the MO, AL, AZ, and TX. He gets a lot of XP that way. Same with the Cleveland captain, he goes in the ATL. The cruiser captain also drives the Indianapolis. One of the big reasons is to get premium ships is the captain training.

[SALVO]
Members
17,145 posts
17,811 battles

I rarely ever use a dedicated captain in premiums.  Premiums are for training existing captains, IMO.  There are certain premium ships, though, that are, for some reason or other, not well suited to existing ships' captain builds for their nation.

I don't see the Scharnhorst as one of these ships.  Oh, I suppose that you could use a German cruiser captain in her well enough, but I personally prefer using my FDG/Tirpitz captain who is specced for secondaries.

Members
594 posts
4,444 battles

I'm sick of these low damage games...

Should I just go into brawling?

Edited by BrandonKF

Beta Testers
1,418 posts

Forget about trying for citadels unless you're under 10km range.

over 10km aim for the superstructure, the tip of the nose or tail (undamaged sections take big damage from first volley). You can also do great damage but aiming for the deck armor at 15km+ ...go for the plunging fire.

Do this and you will generally get 8k to 12k damage per salvo that has most shells hitting.

Also, when under 10kms go for torp attacks if they coming at you... and if they turn to make you chase switch to HE and fire the fore turrets one at a time aiming for different sections (from aft view you can only hit aft and central superstructure) to set them on double fires.

Members
842 posts

Also, the Scharn is NOT a BB-hunter.  BBs are NOT your primary target, Cruisers are. It's similar to the Graff Spee in that regard.

The Scharn has small-caliber (for a BB) main guns, but high reload and traverse. Run it like a Battlecruiser, not a Battleship.  You should be shooting CA/CLs first, then DDs, then BBs.  The Sharn's armor gives is a good chance of surviving close encounters with BBs - and the torps help immensely in that regard - but don't think you can slug it out with them.  Run, and if you're shooting at them, aim for the UPPER belt armor, not the MAIN belt armor.  Go for Pens, not Citadels, when fighting BBs.  At distance where you can count on plunging fire, you can reliably pen BBs, so that's possible as an alternative - the long-distance anti-BB sniper.  But the Sharn's dispersion isn't good, and her lightweight shells make flight times pretty bad.

So, once again, prioritize anything but a BB as your target. And as a KM ship, it should be AP all the time, everytime, every target. Don't bother switching ammo unless it's very rare situations. AP should be your go-to round for shooting at pretty much everything.

Edited by EAnybody