You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HeathenForay

HSF Harekaze/Akizuki. Next skills.

15 comments in this topic

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
499 posts
5,581 battles

Fast becoming my most played ship. When the torps actually connect they hit hard. Now that I have IFHE I can defend myself much better, and actually hunt/finish off DDs and other low HP targets. These attributes plus 5.4 detection allows me to feel like I've done more to effect the match and support my team. I've noticed people tend to gravitate to this ship if I'm playing supportive and I almost always have back up if the 100mm pew pews aren't enough. It's a ship I feel people love having around.

Keep in mind I'm building this captain for the Akizuki when I get done grinding. Not sure how I want to use the last points. I've never struggled with this before, usually it's pretty easy to choose what fits my play style best but all the 3 pointers are just so darn useful on DDs, especially this one. DE would help with the pitiful fire chance (yay) but SE would keep me in the fight longer (yay, more time to cause fires etc)...I always find myself wishing for more HP so I'm leaning towards SE as of now. An extra smoke would be nice to help my teammates as well as another speed boost. AR would be for the last two points unless convinced otherwise. Thoughts?

Capture3.PNG

Members
594 posts
4,426 battles

You're further along than I am, so I'll need to sit and watch the others advise. I'm having a rough time with her and just a 5 point captain. I've got three more points to spend, but I want to grind and get the fourth point for Concealment Expert... or maybe I should cave and take her torpedo reload...

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
499 posts
5,581 battles

That's just it...a good argument can be made for a lot of the T3 skills. As for your first T4 skill CE is a must to take advantage of the ship's greatest strength; being able to out-spot everything. It's hilarious to keep things spotted and let your team wreck them and game play becomes much more relaxed. Not a lot of HP so concealment is life, which is why I'm leaning towards SE for my next T3 skill.

Edited by HeathenForay

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
499 posts
5,581 battles
3 hours ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

I also have these two ships.  Akizuki is really nice but I haven't found the niche for Harekaze yet.  I'm still figuring out which guns I like on it.

Harekaze does a lot of things well, particularly spotting, and 100mm guns are just nasty. Can't wait to get akizuki. I imagine I'll play it much more carefully around cruisers since it has worse speed/maneuverability/detection, but with the extra HP and guns you don't have to run as often from other DDs. If I can bully DDs with the Harekaze with frightening effectiveness I can't wait to see what I do with Akizuki lol.

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,309 battles

I run full AA setup on my harekaze.  I just dont see the need for IFHE on this ship.  I get plenty of damage with the 100's using almost exclusively AP.  Only time i switch is if I am getting overpens on t8 or below DD's or for 2-3 volleys if I see battleships that don't have a fire going.  

With the 6 guns using AP I am seeing 1100 damage on almost every volley on battleship superstructures.  

My setup: PT, IFA, LS, BFT, CE, AFT, MFCAA

My real struggle with this boat is... do I take smoke or reload?   You can make a solid case for both on this boat. 

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
499 posts
5,581 battles
6 hours ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

I'm considering getting Torpedo acceleration for Akizuki/Harekaze captain.  I've been trying it with Sims and it rocks face.

2 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

I run full AA setup on my harekaze.  I just dont see the need for IFHE on this ship.  I get plenty of damage with the 100's using almost exclusively AP.  Only time i switch is if I am getting overpens on t8 or below DD's or for 2-3 volleys if I see battleships that don't have a fire going.  

With the 6 guns using AP I am seeing 1100 damage on almost every volley on battleship superstructures.  

My setup: PT, IFA, LS, BFT, CE, AFT, MFCAA

My real struggle with this boat is... do I take smoke or reload?   You can make a solid case for both on this boat. 

I can't imagine giving up smoke. Maybe someday once DD skills are sharper.

Quite an interesting build. I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest IFA for a DD, that alone has me curious as I've never explored that skill. I use AP a lot, but the bow-on DDs frustrated me enough to get IFHE. At four points it's painful, but the improvement has been noticeable. How well does it do against aircraft?

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,309 battles

As long as they aren't midway planes, it does fine.  I think my best game with it was 38ish planes.  I have a ton of games with between 20-29 planes.  

What this build does is: 

"I see you've permaspotted me with fighters, no thanks." 

IFA... well i needed the last skill as a 1 pointer to make 19.  It was that or PM.  But IFA gives you piece of mind when a BB sends shells 20+km away.  When you know they're coming without being able to see who fired them, its a lot more helpful than saving your rudder.  I dont have a single ship that runs PM.   A lot of them that I have run PT and IFA.  It just lets you focus more.  I DONT like that they made the IFA icon part of the detected icon.  It was much better when it had it's own bulb on the hud.  I find it VERY valuable for my RU DDs.  I went against the grain not taking DE and instead took AR and IFA.  Because you're always so ranged with those, its just easy to say "incoming... adjust course 15 degrees." and make them all miss while you keep spamming.

As for reload, its so worth it when they dodge your first set of 8 torps and have no idea the second set is adjusted for the dodge.  

Edited by AnimaL21

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

Maybe Harekaze can turn enough, but Akizuki def can't when the incoming is coming.  So, Imo, IFA isn't worth. 

My standard Akizuki build 

Pt or PM

LS

SE or BFT (I'm leaning SE right now) 

CE

IFHE

AR

DE

MCAA is a very interesting idea, but costly.  

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,309 battles
24 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Maybe Harekaze can turn enough, but Akizuki def can't when the incoming is coming.  So, Imo, IFA isn't worth. 

My standard Akizuki build 

Pt or PM

LS

SE or BFT (I'm leaning SE right now) 

CE

IFHE

AR

DE

MCAA is a very interesting idea, but costly.  

I do plan on moving this captain to Aki for a while to try out this build(currently specialized in hatsu, for AA also lol).  If not,I have another 19pointer I can spec special for Aki if needed.  I want to see how that boat feels first before I invest more in it. 

MFCAA doesn't seem so silly when you pull a match with a kaga.  Many flyswat lolz are had even outside air detection range. 

Edited by AnimaL21

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,309 battles
4 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

mm you dropped IFHE for MCAA. 

You can't drop what you never took.  As I said, I don't feel at this point that IFHE is needed.  I do tons of damage with AP.  

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,191 battles

Superintendent can be very helpful.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,359 battles

I don't think about planes that much.  If an enemy CV decides to chase me all over the map there's not much you can do about it most of the time.  In an Akizuki or Harekaze you can smite his creeping plens.  I don't mind not having smoke on this one ship because it's at a tier full of radar anyway.  I think radar is a more common problem than carriers anyway.