You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Drakausa

Just Wondering?

13 comments in this topic

Members
642 posts
782 battles

Just a thought about all the controversy over MM. Would it be possible for WG to implement a same tier set of battles all across the ten tiers? That would seem to make player skill the primary focus and team tactics coming a close second. Also, does the player population actually support such a game mode? Just how important is queue time from population available per time of day and time zones? Would cross server links aid in player availability for single tier sets of matches?

I suppose only WG has the answers to this as they have a business model to control the game assets and systems. I was hoping a concerted effort by player base ( of course only those who would like to try) to ask WG to give such a system, across all tiers, and see how it works. I think most players would be ok with giving it a try and WG could see how it works out. Perhaps on the Public Server? Anyway, I do wonder if there would be any support for such a system from either side, player and WG.

[MKF]
Members
410 posts
15,125 battles

I would definitely support a change that reduces the spread by a tier, but no spread would reduce ship diversity so much that matches might be boring 

• Cool 1

[SAA]
Members
859 posts
27,332 battles
11 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I'm pretty sure the idea between multiple-tier matching is to lessen wait times for games.

I don't know, it looks like there are plenty of people on most of the time.  Maybe when there is enough players the tier spread could be closer?  Say if there was 10000 players on a server that enough to have a "no spread" tier and when there is 1000 on then they could have if to a 2 tier spread.

[PSP]
Members
6,316 posts
8,937 battles

One thing that I'd like to see sometime in the future would be historically-correct matchmaking. For instance, have a South Pacific battle where one side is all American ships and the other all Japanese ships or a North Atlantic battle where British ships faced off against German ships, etc.. 

Members
3,471 posts
6,184 battles
11 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

One thing that I'd like to see sometime in the future would be historically-correct matchmaking. For instance, have a South Pacific battle where one side is all American ships and the other all Japanese ships or a North Atlantic battle where British ships faced off against German ships, etc.. 

Those would have to be one off specials...

1:1 MM would be terrible and boring as well as lengthening the wait times.  The NA server does not have enough players to do this.  In reality - there are a number of ships that can do well even if  they are low tier in the game.  It can actually raise the skill lever of those players as they do have to play differently to stay alive and do damage.

Members
32 posts
10,926 battles

i like both ideas, but trying to make it just 1 tier spread most of the time would be a good start

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

9 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Those would have to be one off specials...

Yeah, I don't believe historical battles would be balanced at all in WoWs. This would work better in some type of Operation I think.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,981 posts
7,530 battles
11 hours ago, Turbotush said:

I don't know, it looks like there are plenty of people on most of the time.  Maybe when there is enough players the tier spread could be closer?  Say if there was 10000 players on a server that enough to have a "no spread" tier and when there is 1000 on then they could have if to a 2 tier spread.

10k online does not mean  there are 10k in the queue. Those 10k are playing 3 different modes, one at T6, the others across all 10 tiers, or doing nothing at all except chatting, if they aren't AFK. What the queue actually shows is what's available, and it's rarely over 100 total, at least the queue's for me, it only goes over that when new lines and sometimes individual ships get released, at times when an anticipated patch gets dropped.

The MM is what it is because that's what it has to work with. Period. Please, feel free to recruit more players. Without more players, the MM stays as it is, because the business model dictates the servers stay as they are.

[-BMV-]
Members
205 posts
13,619 battles

The idea isn't bad OP. However, there ARE two problems:

1.- Not enough people.

2.- Not enough Ship Lines at same Tiers to support the idea.

If we have more Nations, more ships at each Tier, more diversity, then ill support the idea. But with the game been like this, there's just not enough to support it.

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
371 posts
9,064 battles

WG is being careful to not scatter the online population into too many separate queues.  I would argue certain modes could be filled with friendly/hostile bots if needed after a period of queue timer but some people vehemently disagree.  I prefer how short the waits are now, I remember some tiers of CBT taking FOREVER and I'm sure Alpha was even worse. :cap_old:

[SAA]
Members
859 posts
27,332 battles
On 10/8/2017 at 8:07 PM, TheKrimzonDemon said:

10k online does not mean  there are 10k in the queue. Those 10k are playing 3 different modes, one at T6, the others across all 10 tiers, or doing nothing at all except chatting, if they aren't AFK. What the queue actually shows is what's available, and it's rarely over 100 total, at least the queue's for me, it only goes over that when new lines and sometimes individual ships get released, at times when an anticipated patch gets dropped.

The MM is what it is because that's what it has to work with. Period. Please, feel free to recruit more players. Without more players, the MM stays as it is, because the business model dictates the servers stay as they are.

So, this morning at 4 am PST, there were 2100 players.  I had 5 games, 4 in my Kutz that landed me in T9-10 and 1 in my Hindy that was T-8.  Almost 20K battles now and I have never seen a single tier match unless it was Ranked, so sorry, I don't agree with you at all.

Members
642 posts
782 battles

My actual question was whether WG might TRY a single tier MM as an experiment and see what the game controllers (WG) and the players think about the result. I was just wondering what folks think about this, not personally demanding such a spread.