You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ikeystonei

Getting To Know Leander

18 comments in this topic

317 posts
5,555 battles

Had a little bit of everything in this match.   Shooting from smoke, long range gun battle, knife fight with a Kongo.   Starting to like this boat!

Just missed Kracken, that dang Charles Martel slithered away with about 1000 hp left.

Downside of the match is it was a loss.

WoWs 10-7-17 (a).jpg

• Cool 1

[INTEL] Ares1967
611 posts
7,332 battles

I haven't had a match quite that good but the Leander is definitely one of my favorites.

[NEMO] Thraxian
[NEMO]
734 posts
6,387 battles

The Leander is good, but just wait until you get the Fiji. That's where the line really starts to shine....

[ARP] SireneRacker
7,006 posts
6,257 battles

Leander is like a breath of fresh air after the Emerald. And don't worry, it will take another step up with the Fiji which is basically the Leander x 1.5

317 posts
5,555 battles

I can pull the trigger on Fiji, and have considered doing so.......but i'm just starting to have fun in the Little Gunboat That Could......... 

Took a long break (8 months) from WoWs, as the desire for moving up lines was beginning to consume me.   Now that i'm slowly back into it, i've resolved to have nothing but fun.   Plus, high tier gameplay simply doesnt work too well, economically, for the average player.  Took my Hindenburg out this morning and had a decent 60k match, which yielded -35k credits.   Definitely wont be playing the next ranked season.

Thanks everybody for your sage counsel.

Edited by ikeystonei

[GWG] AVR_Project
[GWG]
5,162 posts
9,056 battles

Fiji is on sale (save about 2M credits) till the end of today.

So wherever I'm at with it this evening, I'm free-XP'ing  the rest of the way to the Fiji and moving Jack Dunkirk to it. 

This special captain has extra smoke/gun skills.

[TRI4D] Texas_Vet
228 posts
5,019 battles

I really like the Leander.  Enjoying the grind from here on up.  My favorite Tier 6 cruiser!  Earning good exp and silver, much better win/loss, damage per battle, ships sunk per battle, so much better contributor to the team than any other Tier 6 cruiser.  The German Tier 6 is a solid 2nd, followed by the US Tier 6 Cleveland.

Smoke, good rate of fire, sonar, heal, what more can you ask?

1,143 posts
3,273 battles

A beautiful thing about Leander is once your CMDR hits lv10 and you pick up CE she has a Stealth Torpedo Window. 

842 posts
On 2/11/2018 at 9:49 PM, Ivlerlin said:

A beautiful thing about Leander is once your CMDR hits lv10 and you pick up CE she has a Stealth Torpedo Window. 

No, you don't have a Stealth Torp Window - your concealment of 8.8km (which is great) is still less than your 8km torp range. You're stealthy enough to make a retreating torp shot against an advancing enemy, but that's not the same thing.

The Fiji, Edinburgh, and Minotaur (but not the Neptune, because, well????) have a Stealth Torp Window, though - the Fiji's is only 0.2km, but the Edinburgh/Minotaur's is a full 1.0km. 

That said, the 8.8km concealment is fabulous. Makes hunting DDs much easier, and is a godsend when trying to escape from enemies - far faster to stop shooting, stealth up and run.

• Cool 1

1,143 posts
3,273 battles
1 minute ago, EAnybody said:

No, you don't have a Stealth Torp Window - your concealment of 8.8km (which is great) is still less than your 8km torp range. You're stealthy enough to make a retreating torp shot against an advancing enemy, but that's not the same thing.

The Fiji, Edinburgh, and Minotaur (but not the Neptune, because, well????) have a Stealth Torp Window, though - the Fiji's is only 0.2km, but the Edinburgh/Minotaur's is a full 1.0km. 

That said, the 8.8km concealment is fabulous. Makes hunting DDs much easier, and is a godsend when trying to escape from enemies - far faster to stop shooting, stealth up and run.

I stand corrected, when I initially posted I was jumping back and forth between Leander and my higher tier IJN Cruisers. 

[TRI4D] Texas_Vet
228 posts
5,019 battles

Just got my Leander captain to 10 points and got the CE.  About to go out and about with my better half, so will wait until we get home to try it.  Love the Leander!  Will hate to loose the captain to the Fiji when I get it, but I think it is more important for the Fiji and to grind a new Captain as this will probably be my keeper Tier 6 cruiser...

1,158 posts
3,489 battles

was reading thinking I would find some playstyle tips on this cruiser as this is where I am at in the line itself. Guess I will see if someone replies to this.

[TRI4D] Texas_Vet
228 posts
5,019 battles

Landedkiller,

My tactics:

• Use cover to shoot from behind
  • Slow down, launch smoke, hide in smoke and spam my shots onto more powerful cruisers and BB's
  • Use my sonar to charge into smoke where there is a DD that has already fired their torps at me or someone else.

I do not know of any other Tier 6 cruiser that has smoke and heal.  Two very powerful tools for a light cruiser.  I have much more success with this cruiser than any other I have used - US up to Tier 9, German up to Tier 7, Japanese up to Tier 6, Russian up to Tier 5, and French up to Tier 5.

[ARGSY] Ensign_Cthulhu
4,544 posts
3,277 battles

She is a lovely little ship - my only beef with her at the moment is that in certain operations I feel it would be helpful to have High Explosive (e.g. for shore installations that don't shoot back, so you have a chance to set them afire and let them burn down while you turn your attention to other things), and in ops like Killer Whale in particular, her AP doesn't do much if anything to forts until you get inside about 8km.

She only has one more gun than the Emerald, but they also fire a little faster and hit a bit harder IMO (though slightly down on range), and the fact that they are in four twin turrets makes it easier to put more shells at once on a target that you are either chasing down or running away from.

I was relieved to get into her, though there were times I did miss the very large number of torpedoes the Emerald could spit out at short range. In some ways the Emerald would be more ideal for those ops in which large numbers of unarmed enemy transport ships appear, but keeping her alive to that point could be difficult; the Leander seems to have fewer problems in that regard. The thing which eases the transition is that they both have the same bag of tricks - hydro, heal, and either smoke, scout or fighter depending on preference - and this continues up to the Fiji (which is an overgrown Leander with 50% more main guns and 33% fewer torpedoes).

Beyond this there is a meta shift, as the Edinburgh brings radar to the table as an option for those willing to do without smoke.

[EGI] Swine_007
1,168 posts
17,204 battles

Leander is probably my favourite T6 cruiser  ( Ok maybe a tie with Graf Spee ).  Some days if you get lucky ( and a have slight skill ) you can get some great games.  

xnVro2A.jpg

You might even overcome the difficulty of having an afk BB on the team .... 

cdCdlQX.jpg

• Cool 1

[--1--] Iron_Salvo921
97 posts
2,046 battles

For me Leander is just as amzing as Edinburgh one of my favourite cruisers, I find it's a nice balance between all its characteristics.

[TRI4D] Texas_Vet
228 posts
5,019 battles
On 10/8/2017 at 8:23 AM, ikeystonei said:

I can pull the trigger on Fiji, and have considered doing so.......but i'm just starting to have fun in the Little Gunboat That Could......... 

Took a long break (8 months) from WoWs, as the desire for moving up lines was beginning to consume me.   Now that i'm slowly back into it, i've resolved to have nothing but fun.   Plus, high tier gameplay simply doesnt work too well, economically, for the average player.  Took my Hindenburg out this morning and had a decent 60k match, which yielded -35k credits.   Definitely wont be playing the next ranked season.

Thanks everybody for your sage counsel.

I also find that playing in higher tiers is not that fun, and if you do not have a good game (without premium), you can easily loose money.  Tier 7 is about the highest tier I will play.

I truly enjoy the Leander, and have had some really good and fun games with it.  Just got the Fiji, and found it to be great in "Operations" in comparison to my other Tier 7 cruisers (US, German, Russian).  I have Tier 8 New Orleans and Tier 9 Baltimore, but enjoy playing the Leander the best!

317 posts
5,555 battles
2 hours ago, Texas_Vet said:

I also find that playing in higher tiers is not that fun, and if you do not have a good game (without premium), you can easily loose money.  Tier 7 is about the highest tier I will play.

I truly enjoy the Leander, and have had some really good and fun games with it.  Just got the Fiji, and found it to be great in "Operations" in comparison to my other Tier 7 cruisers (US, German, Russian).  I have Tier 8 New Orleans and Tier 9 Baltimore, but enjoy playing the Leander the best!

I've been playing a fair amount of Coop lately, much more enjoyable without teams of potatoes and raging (and more) in chat.   It's an even higher  challenge to play high tiers in Coop due to the economics, but can be done.  It got me the first, and almost second 19 point captain.

Haven't been out much in Leander lately, need to rectify this.