You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gaishu_Isshoku

Let's talk about mods

235 comments in this topic

[FAITH]
[FAITH]
Beta Testers
1,025 posts
13,980 battles

So it's come to my attention that mods added to Aslain's somewhat recently contain such things as marking a X on the minimap where you are currently aiming, making it pretty trivial to hit targets that have recently smoked or don't move while in it. Can someone tell me how this is not literally cheating? Not to mention long-standing mods like running lights and the angle mod which spoonfeed you information.

• Cool 10

[FAITH]
[FAITH]
Beta Testers
538 posts
7,717 battles

I agree, it is cheating. It's basically aim assist all over again, removing human error.

• Cool 5

[BOTES]
Members
26 posts
3,114 battles

Yea I've got a pretty big bone to pick with the x on the minimap, seeing as it was silently added as one of the options on the most used minimap mod in aslains and it makes shooting at targets who dont move in smoke or hell, shooting at targets 15-20km away in a cyclone, pretty damn easy.

• Cool 3

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
370 posts
9,055 battles
1 minute ago, Kashi06 said:

Yea I've got a pretty big bone to pick with the x on the minimap, seeing as it was silently added as one of the options on the most used minimap mod in aslains and it makes shooting at targets who dont move in smoke or hell, shooting at targets 15-20km away in a cyclone, pretty damn easy.

That sounds like a huge pain in the [edited], taking fire in cyclone w/o radar detection from an unseen source?  That'd be infuriating.

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Members
2,729 posts

Sounds cheesy, but if you sit still even in smoke you deserve to be shot. So two sides to the coin

My bet is its short lived

• Cool 2

[BOTES]
Members
26 posts
3,114 battles
Just now, Panzerlin said:

That sounds like a huge pain in the [edited], taking fire in cyclone w/o radar detection from an unseen source?  That'd be infuriating.

I did it in my first game in NC. Abusing the mod, I slammed a cruiser who was on our cap fighting our DD with a citadel, influencing a fight 15km away that I was not a part of at all seeing as it was a cyclone. The cruiser player actually asked in all chat "Who just hit me?" and I did confess to him and told him i was just using the mod proivided in aslain's most popular minimap option

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,572 battles

You can report it to Aslains. If you do, he will take it out, no questions.

Just now, AbrudolfLincler said:

Weeb mods should be banned imho

Freedom of anything, amirite?

[BOTES]
Members
38 posts
8,629 battles

Definitely feel the same way. The old aim assist from back in the CBT days was deemed to be a banned mod and rightfully so, this kind of thing doesn't seem much different. Being able to hit ships that aren't rendered should be skill based, not through use of a mod.  

• Cool 4

[SIDE]
Members
1,251 posts
8,868 battles

Wow, didn't know this was in the game. I used to use aslains but got tired of installing it each patch so I have been vanilla wows for a long while now and don't miss the mods at all. Well, I do miss not having the ship name next to the players name in chat, but not enough to start up mods again. That X marking last known position is, to me anyway, a borderline cheat. No wonder recently I was thinking some players have great accuracy shooting into smoke. Now I know why...:cap_wander:

[BOTES]
Members
13 posts
4,839 battles
2 minutes ago, AbrudolfLincler said:

Does that mean Kii camo will be enabled by default?

• Cool 1

[BOTES]
Members
26 posts
3,114 battles

my game is a little heavy on the visual mods but you can clearly see the X on the minimap that follows my cursor in this screenshot

shot-17.09.30_18.17.23-0527.jpg

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,314 posts
6,597 battles
5 minutes ago, AbrudolfLincler said:

Error 404: Tolerance not found

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
8 posts
3,790 battles

WG should just include all the minimap mods they deem legal and prevent modders from messing with the minimap.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,497 battles
21 minutes ago, Gaishu_Isshoku said:

So it's come to my attention that mods added to Aslain's somewhat recently contain such things as marking a X on the minimap where you are currently aiming, making it pretty trivial to hit targets that have recently smoked or don't move while in it. Can someone tell me how this is not literally cheating? Not to mention long-standing mods like running lights and the angle mod which spoonfeed you information.

8 minutes ago, Kashi06 said:

my game is a little heavy on the visual mods but you can clearly see the X on the minimap that follows my cursor in this screenshot

shot-17.09.30_18.17.23-0527.jpg

I haven't used mods in over a year, but how is an X placed on the minimap helping you aim?

How is that any different from current, official ingame options to leave a ship marker and ship name in their last spotting report on the minimap, even after they smoke or break contact?

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,050 battles

Aiming by the mini map doesn't sound like it would be accurate at all. I use some mods from aslains but have never seen that one. I don't think you will run into many people using it. On the "Worry About It Scale" I would rate this a 1 or none.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 2

[CUTE]
Supertester
4,092 posts
4,164 battles
9 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I haven't used mods in over a year, but how is an X placed on the minimap helping you aim?

How is that any different from current, official ingame options to leave a ship marker and ship name in their last spotting report on the minimap, even after they smoke or break contact?

Because it's very hard to actually aim at that minimap marker when you have little reference between what you're aiming at with your guns and what's on the minimap...

It's also basically giving you a permanent spotter plane level of advantage 

Edited by Cruiser_Noshiro
  • Cool 3

[O7]
Beta Testers, Supertester
6,398 posts
7,363 battles
2 minutes ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Because it's very hard to actually aim at that minimap marker when you have little reference between what you're aiming at with your guns and what's on the minimap...

Building on that, a really good player that's used this mod for a while can target ships (with some success) that have gone silent.

This is definitely a grey mod.

• Cool 2

[CAFE]
Members
1,396 posts
10,751 battles

I 100% think mods like running lights, nag mod, and the X mini-map marker are cheating. They provide major advantages to the player and are not fair to those not using the mods. 

I hope WG bans these mods one day...

• Cool 6

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,050 battles
2 minutes ago, Zakuul said:

Building on that, a really good player that's used this mod for a while can target ships (with some success) that have gone silent.

This is definitely a grey mod.

You can't aim off of the Mini map, I will never believe it, that is, until I see some proof, I am off to a better post, this one has zero merit.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
245 posts
9,759 battles
30 minutes ago, Gaishu_Isshoku said:

29 minutes ago, Dont_aim_me_please said:

Wholeheartedly agree. With the rise of mods providing more and more information, they might as well make a mod that substitutes as a player or aims for said player.

29 minutes ago, Snoozing_Mako said:

I agree, it is cheating. It's basically aim assist all over again, removing human error.

there is no target lock you will be blind firing - that X means/does nothing - its not aim assist at all - NO TARGET LOCKED - 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
245 posts
9,759 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

You can't aim off of the Mini map, I will never believe it, that is, until I see some proof, I am off to a better post, this one has zero merit.

agreed

[BOTES]
Members
26 posts
3,114 battles
9 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You can combine it with Last Known Position and fire at targets stationary in smoke extremely easily

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
245 posts
9,759 battles
28 minutes ago, Kashi06 said:

I did it in my first game in NC. Abusing the mod, I slammed a cruiser who was on our cap fighting our DD with a citadel, influencing a fight 15km away that I was not a part of at all seeing as it was a cyclone. The cruiser player actually asked in all chat "Who just hit me?" and I did confess to him and told him i was just using the mod proivided in aslain's most popular minimap option

lucky shot into smoke - no target locked