Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Speedstang

How do I get the Ryujo?

26 comments in this topic

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles

Now that tier 5 CVs can't manual drop/strafe, how do I get off the Zuiho without murdering my WTR?

I can deal with the lack of manual drop, but no strafe? Seriously? What exactly am I supposed to do against AS bogues??? Just watch my planes die then sit there the rest of the match?

It's one thing if I lose WTR because I royally screwed up or because I'm learning a new ship/playing a notoriously underperforming ship or something, but lose it just because there's literally nothing I could've done? Really?

I tried co-op but not only is it very boring, the amount of xp you get is abysmal.

Free xp isn't an option, I'm a completely free player and don't have money to spend on the game.

I really want to give the Ryujo a try, but how do I get it now? 

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
Just now, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

free xp

alternatively,  no one cares about your wtr

I do. And again, don't have free xp.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,809 posts
15,355 battles
1 minute ago, Speedstang said:

I do. And again, don't have free xp.

If you don't have a lot of free xp (and when you say you don't I believe you; I never do, LOL!!) then I would either play a lot of tier 4 and 5 matches until you get some or just bite the bullet and grind your tier 5 CV. It may suck to have to grind it but, hey, you chose the ship so you get to pay the price. Sorry if that isn't helpful.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,247 posts
3,106 battles

There's always co-op.

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
8 minutes ago, Umikami said:

If you don't have a lot of free xp (and when you say you don't I believe you; I never do, LOL!!) then I would either play a lot of tier 4 and 5 matches until you get some or just bite the bullet and grind your tier 5 CV. It may suck to have to grind it but, hey, you chose the ship so you get to pay the price. Sorry if that isn't helpful.

All my free XP is getting funneled to other high tier ships to skip off at least 1 stock module (as of right now it's going to the Lexington), and even then it's not a lot, don't have enough to skip off the Zuiho, only have about 18k. Grinding is one thing, not being able to do anything the whole game is another....

9 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Everyone accumulates free XP, you don't have to use gold for it. 

Or is this just a thread to whine about AS Bogues? 

See above for free XP explanation. It's a thread to ask about a way to counter them without strafe.... There is literally nothing my fighters can do against them. I had no problem dealing with them prior to strafe removal. What exactly am I supposed to do the whole game? I don't have spare planes to just lose squadrons to them, and sniping the bogue won't work, as the Bogue is small and at best with auto drop, it will get 4 torp hits, not enough. That's if his fighters don't catch me or his AA doesn't shoot me down first, which they most likely will. I can't use each squadron separately to chain flooding after damage control is used, as the moment he sees a squadron coming in his fighters will be on the way, and my second squad will never get through. Same goes for chaining fire. Not exactly a lot of ships that tier with any AA to bait its fighters above either....

So, how do I counter it?

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles
33 minutes ago, Speedstang said:

Just watch my planes die then sit there the rest of the match

According to WG, this is exactly what you're supposed to do in a low tier CV. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,014 posts
7,530 battles

Well, if your WTR, a totally worthless thing, made even more worthless by the fact that none of this is real, matters more to you than progress, you can't get the Ryujo, a CV, I might add, that in it's best damage config has exactly one fighter squad to enjoy.

This is a case of how you think you're perceived screwing you over, which is A) Why you need to cease caring, and B) What's wrong with the world as a whole.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,014 posts
7,530 battles

Also, I use neither strafe nor manual drops, and I'm at T8 with IJN CV's, and 7 with USN, though I admit that Ranger pissed me off so bad I sold it and came to a dead stop there.

• Cool 1

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
50 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Well, if your WTR, a totally worthless thing, made even more worthless by the fact that none of this is real, matters more to you than progress, you can't get the Ryujo, a CV, I might add, that in it's best damage config has exactly one fighter squad to enjoy.

This is a case of how you think you're perceived screwing you over, which is A) Why you need to cease caring, and B) What's wrong with the world as a whole.

I define progress as getting better at the game, not acquiring a new ship. WTR is the best representation of it, and playing a ton of poor games (with poor winrate included as I won't be able to do much) hurts that.

Ryujo can strafe. That alone makes all the difference in the world. Superior fighters are counterable.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles

a)  Battle your Zuiho when there are few CVs (avoid CV weekends)

b)  Co-Op with flags.

[PS1HD]
Members
55 posts
1,490 battles

If you want to make the grind more barable focus on defensive play and getting them to go off on goose chases by splitting up your strike aircraft 

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,335 posts
6,609 battles
6 hours ago, RivertheRoyal said:

There's always co-op.

This, so much this.

CoOp does not affect your WTR, it does not ruin your stats, it usually gives you a poor counterplayer, the enemies are mostly braindead. In 40-50 games you are sure to have Ryuujou.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,335 posts
6,609 battles
5 hours ago, Speedstang said:

WTR is the best representation of it

Please, for your own sake, don't say that. WTR is mediocre at best. Why? The way it gets calculated is reason enough:

https://na.warships.today/help/warships_today_rating

50% is average damage, this completely leaves out quality damage. So if you just dealt 40k against Destroyers, the WTR will state you as a worse player than someone who farmed 60k of a Conqueror.

30% are average kills per game. You can get a kill by only dealing 1 hp of damage, but get denied the kill after stripping your target of 80% of it's health.

20% is your WinRate, perhabs the only part that is somewhat reliable. Though Solo WinRate is of course a lot more reliable than Division WinRate, and even that is ignored by the WTR.

[HINON]
Members
9,059 posts

You outplay the other CV including the Bogues. You put your bombers where their fighters arent, drag them over friendly AA etc. They cant cover the whole map so play smart.

[O_O]
Members
4,433 posts
9,620 battles

I'm not a CV player, but I keep Zuiho for missions.  My CV stats certainly aren't great, but the only time I really struggle is when I am matched against higher tier CV's or against more than one CV when at least one of them is fighter heavy.  I really haven't found myself low-tier that often.  Facing AS Bogues is more problematic, and the game becomes a real chess match if you want to do any damage.  Probe and retreat, and only attack when you find ships that aren't covered by fighters.

[RLGN]
Members
8,309 posts
17,372 battles
7 hours ago, Speedstang said:

So, how do I counter it?

You either don't; and have a sucky game because of a lazy dirt-bag farming air-kills in an AS Bogue, (because your squads either die or never get near anything,) or you have to bust your buttocks and out fight him. Be where he isn't; fly all your squads to different places, then pin a figter down with your fighter and another bomber, then attack with the two bombers that aren't being bothered; don't fight over the Bogue's team's AA, make him fight over your team's AA. He has TWO useful squads; you have FOUR.

It's not impossible, it just takes experience. I would also highly recommend you get the Air Supremacy skill, and take a look at these;

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[OPGS]
Members
608 posts
4,038 battles

You play it the same way as when straffe didn't exist. As in lot of baiting and waiting to get good open shot. WTR is based on the average. Since the zuiho can no longer manual drop, the average went down so you should be able to keep a good WTR even without manual drop or straffe provided you outplay your opponent.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

Here's how you do it. Send a team of one fighter/one bomber on one flank, if both his fighters are there, great get out of there and use you tbs to hit the other side of the map. if only one fighter is there engage him, either he'll just use his one fighter on your squads, and you get a free DB drop, or, more likely he'll send his second squad to intercept, use this opportunity to nuke the other side of the map with your TBS.

If both his fighters are on one side of the map just hit the other side and alternate flanks.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,309 posts
17,372 battles
2 hours ago, megadeux said:

Here's how you do it. Send a team of one fighter/one bomber on one flank, if both his fighters are there, great get out of there and use you tbs to hit the other side of the map. if only one fighter is there engage him, either he'll just use his one fighter on your squads, and you get a free DB drop, or, more likely he'll send his second squad to intercept, use this opportunity to nuke the other side of the map with your TBS.

If both his fighters are on one side of the map just hit the other side and alternate flanks.

Pretty much this.

(much simpler than my previous babbling.)

Members
2,305 posts
4,163 battles
17 hours ago, Speedstang said:

Now that tier 5 CVs can't manual drop/strafe, how do I get off the Zuiho without murdering my WTR?

I can deal with the lack of manual drop, but no strafe? Seriously? What exactly am I supposed to do against AS bogues??? Just watch my planes die then sit there the rest of the match?

It's one thing if I lose WTR because I royally screwed up or because I'm learning a new ship/playing a notoriously underperformin g ship or something, but lose it just because there's literally nothing I could've done? Really?

I tried co-op but not only is it very boring, the amount of xp you get is abysmal.

Free xp isn't an option, I'm a completely free player and don't have money to spend on the game.

I really want to give the Ryujo a try, but how do I get it now? 

My number one question to this is "What do you think Zuihos did when AS bogues could strafe"?

Strafing in a Zuiho did not magically counter Bogue's fighters, if anything it just allows the Bogue to empty your hanger faster.

Edited by StoneRhino

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
7 hours ago, marcmad said:

You play it the same way as when straffe didn't exist. As in lot of baiting and waiting to get good open shot. WTR is based on the average. Since the zuiho can no longer manual drop, the average went down so you should be able to keep a good WTR even without manual drop or straffe provided you outplay your opponent.

Strafe has always been a thing in the time I've played this game. Though I didn't think of the WTR like that, very true.

7 hours ago, megadeux said:

Most of the time when I face off against Hiryus or things with 2 squadrons they're smart enough not to spam all their fighters against 1 strike squadron. I can try and bait I suppose, but the problem really becomes the lack of spare planes. Guess this is the best chance I have though.

2 hours ago, StoneRhino said:

My number one question to this is "What do you think Zuihos did when AS bogues could strafe"?

Strafing in a Zuiho did not magically counter Bogue's fighters, if anything it just allows the Bogue to empty your hanger faster.

It's not what I "thought", it's what I did. I loved the Zuiho back before the strafe removal, it was pretty easy to steer AS Bogues into a perfect line up for a strafe on their squadrons, sometimes all at once, sometimes one by one. My fighters would usually end up losing eventually due to being overwhelmed or because of the low amount of ammunition, but not before I did a devastating amount of damage to the enemy team due to his distracted/dead fighters. Granted I didn't play the Zuiho too often (otherwise I'd have Ryujo, I may have spent just a bit too much time on my Bogue), but strafe very much did give it a chance.

[CINA]
[CINA]
Members
29 posts
843 battles

I only have the Hosho and the Zuiho. I did have the Ryujo for a short time, but in a fit of rage after torping one of my own team mates, I sold it. Figure I'll stick to the two with no manual drops for now. In any case, I do not recommend going to Co-Op to grind, as you earn more points in a random battle loss than you do in a Co-Op battle win unless of course you have an exceptionally great game in the Co-Op battle. I too play standard account instead of premium, and since I only play occasionally, don't care about WTR. As a matter of fact, I only have Japanese ships up to tier 5 for a reason. I enjoy the game play at these levels. Much easier than trying to remember which ships not to fly over in the upper tiers due to their devastating AA. Anyway, I don't worry too much about the skill level of the other CV driver either. He/she is either a newbie like me, or a skilled tier 10 driver seal clubbing with his clan mates, in which case it does not matter what I do, he will melt my planes, and nuke my team. Read some good ideas in this thread I will have to try the next time I take my CV's out though. Thanks for the posts.

Sign in to follow this