Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Barake

The Kii and the Hood

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

232
[NGA-S]
[NGA-S]
Beta Testers
1,089 posts
4,273 battles

What do they have in common? Funny you should ask, they have torpedo launchers, yet only the Kii has them in game.  Why would the Kii get them and the Hood doesn't?

 

Is there a possibility the Hood would get them added on in an upcoming patch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
695
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,046 posts
10,456 battles

Whether a ship gets certain special features is not always historical but for game balance purposes.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,119
[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,487 battles

Some of Hood's launchers were removed in a pre-war refit, and the rest of them were supposed to be removed in the refit that she was due to go in for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
232
[NGA-S]
[NGA-S]
Beta Testers
1,089 posts
4,273 battles

Well I am not sure how the Kii's torps balance anything but I can remember when the Dev's said they wouldn't put torps on BB's then the Kii comes along. So I figure there could be a case made that the Hood should have hers too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
599
[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles

If the Hood had Torps,I’d buy it they add a nice dimension to playing, have them on my Tirpitz and it always amazes me that other BBS let me get close enough to use em .. I always check the ship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
232
[NGA-S]
[NGA-S]
Beta Testers
1,089 posts
4,273 battles
1 minute ago, kerensky914 said:

Some of Hood's launchers were removed in a pre-war refit, and the rest of them were supposed to be removed in the refit that she was due to go in for.

That is correct, but the after launchers were there with torps in the magazine.  Some authors believe that is what led to the magazine explosion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,119
[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,487 battles
2 minutes ago, Barake said:

Well I am not sure how the Kii's torps balance anything but I can remember when the Dev's said they wouldn't put torps on BB's then the Kii comes along. So I figure there could be a case made that the Hood should have hers too.

 

Well Kii was hardly first.  ScharnhorstTirpitzMutsu.  And all but Mutsu predate Hood's release, so it isn't like that precedent had already been set.  Hood's torps have been brought up dozens of times, the devs were very much aware of them and decided not to implement them.  I don't see them changing that decision.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820
[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,574 battles

Hood's torpedoes were fixed. Mutsu's, Kii's, Gniesenau, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz are able to rotate.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
678
[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles
1 hour ago, Unabletony said:

Hood's torpedoes were fixed. Mutsu's, Kii's, Gniesenau, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz are able to rotate.

Were they submerged as many battleship torpedoes were, or were they surface mounted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820
[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,574 battles
10 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

Were they submerged as many battleship torpedoes were, or were they surface mounted?

I'm not an expert on Hood, I know she had above water ones that were fixed but that's all from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
678
[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles
3 minutes ago, Unabletony said:

I'm not an expert on Hood, I know she had above water ones that were fixed but that's all from me.

Fair enough.  I ask because WG has previously stated that they have an aversion to submerged tubes.  Namely, they'd be next to impossible to incapacitate.  

Honestly, I'm not sure what the problem with fixed tubes would be.  Nearly all torpedos were fitted with a gyro that would steer them upon a given heading post-launch.  Strictly speaking, even ships with extremely restrictive torpedo tubes, like Mustu, should be able to launch their torps across a fairly wide angle.  They'd launch straight out, run for a moment, and then steer onto the desired heading. But, it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[ARMDA]
Members
274 posts
1,429 battles
7 hours ago, DerKrampus said:

Fair enough.  I ask because WG has previously stated that they have an aversion to submerged tubes.  Namely, they'd be next to impossible to incapacitate.  

Honestly, I'm not sure what the problem with fixed tubes would be.  Nearly all torpedos were fitted with a gyro that would steer them upon a given heading post-launch.  Strictly speaking, even ships with extremely restrictive torpedo tubes, like Mustu, should be able to launch their torps across a fairly wide angle.  They'd launch straight out, run for a moment, and then steer onto the desired heading. But, it is what it is.

Hood originally had two submerged and four above-water fixed tubes (in two twin mounts, one on each side of the ship). During a refit in 1937, the submerged tubes were removed. However, Hood still had the on-deck launchers at the time of her sinking, which is the way the game models her. Thus she should have the Mutsu-style torpedo launcher that has a very very limited angle, but for some reason she doesn't, and I honestly think it's because Hood would then become overpowered. She already has good guns, decent armor, good speed, and practically impenetrable AA due to the way the UP Rockets and her DF work. Combining that with insta-win torpedoes if she gets caught in a close-range brawl I don't think is a very good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
678
[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles
2 hours ago, RagingTanker090_NA said:

Hood originally had two submerged and four above-water fixed tubes (in two twin mounts, one on each side of the ship). During a refit in 1937, the submerged tubes were removed. However, Hood still had the on-deck launchers at the time of her sinking, which is the way the game models her. Thus she should have the Mutsu-style torpedo launcher that has a very very limited angle, but for some reason she doesn't, and I honestly think it's because Hood would then become overpowered. She already has good guns, decent armor, good speed, and practically impenetrable AA due to the way the UP Rockets and her DF work. Combining that with insta-win torpedoes if she gets caught in a close-range brawl I don't think is a very good idea.

Balance is pretty much the answer I'm going with, as well.  Was simply wondering if it could be dismissed-away by their blanket statement on submerged tubes is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
335
[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,156 battles

Balance and the fact that they were, except for a single disputed instance, never used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
232
[NGA-S]
[NGA-S]
Beta Testers
1,089 posts
4,273 battles

I am a little confused how these limited arc torp launchers would be a big impact on balance?  Sometimes the whole balance thing is used as a catchall for other issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
232
[NGA-S]
[NGA-S]
Beta Testers
1,089 posts
4,273 battles
14 hours ago, kerensky914 said:

Well Kii was hardly first.  ScharnhorstTirpitzMutsu.  And all but Mutsu predate Hood's release, so it isn't like that precedent had already been set.  Hood's torps have been brought up dozens of times, the devs were very much aware of them and decided not to implement them.  I don't see them changing that decision.

I don't follow the forums enough to realize this was an old topic.  Thanks for all the replies though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8
[BTH]
Members
17 posts
11,594 battles

Hoods torps were above water but fixed. If you look at the model in port you can see the hatches right below the mainmast (thats the rear one) about a deck up from the waterline. If you look forwards from there you an see where the other pair were removed and sealed just a bit to the rear of the second funnel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×