Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Best use of my time

11 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,897 battles

I've enjoyed playing multiple lines of dds and cruisers (I rarely play BBs and I never play CVs).  I have limited time to play WOW's and I seem to be "stuck" at a plateau.  I have no Tier VI ships, and my play at Tier V is iffy at best.

Should I concentrate on one line for both the dds and cruisers to get better or should I continue to explore all of my potential adversaries?  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,844 posts
11,546 battles

I was probably at t6 with 1500ish battles before the game really started to click for me. T5 because of the protected MM of the lower tiers you get down tiered a lot and with a -2/+2 spread that can seem intimidating at first. For myself, playing a little bit of everything really worked for me. It helped me sample everything and really figure out my playstyle. But I also know lots of people prefer to focus on one ship type. Not really an easy answer as everyone learns differently. Just stick with it.

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

T5 is tough getting over the plateau no matter what ship type you chose.  I'm just now getting decent (mind you decent) at T6, and it is taking alot of Co-op and BB's for me to crossover (I'm a cruiser main, BBs give me a break).  I'd say pick the line you enjoy (even if its just  for variety) and just enjoy the game.  Becoming skilled at teaming up with a bunch of mute strangers is the real challenge.  I hate to say it, but it might be worthwhile to pick one of the newer nations to develop, as only the more knowledgeable opponents are familiar with their weaknesses (i.e. avoid IJN DDs and USN CLs).  Good luck and have fun.  

[USCC1]
Beta Testers
65 posts
9,005 battles

I know what you mean, I play maybe ten battles a month sometimes more.  Make it hard to get sharp with the different ships.  I personally get bored running the same ship all the time.so it's all lines or nothing.  Matter of how you like to do things.

[DOG]
Members
436 posts
5,760 battles

I usually play 2-6 games per day, depending on how much time I have, and how tired I am by the time I get some free time.  I will usually play one ship until I get a victory and get the once-per-day 50% (or higher, if it's one of those weekends) bonus for winning.  Then I move on to another ship until I get a win.  Right now I tend to bounce between Benson, Z-46, Kagero, and Akatzuki (trying to build the captain skills back up after I moved the captain to Kagero, because I really like Akatzuki).  If I get tired of dealing with CVs, I'll drive the Atlanta, since I rarely see carriers with that ship.  And if I'm on a bad losing streak and need a morale boost and some fun, I go play the Kuma and the V-170.

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,897 battles

I know what you mean with the V-170.  The Kuma is new for me. but it's been fun learning her (lots like the Phoenix).  My comfort ship......the St. Louis.  What a brawler!

[DOG]
Members
436 posts
5,760 battles

Yeah, St Louis has scary guns but the Kuma is pretty close, plus it has decent torpedoes.  I actually get a fair number of hits with the torps.  With the rate of fire of the Kuma's guns, people get wrapped up in the gun duel so much (and putting out fires)  that a lot of times they don't notice the torpedoes until it's too late.  Mind you, the torps don't have a whole lot of punch against BBs.  I slammed 4 of them into a BB's broadside the other day, and only took about half his hit points.  Maybe it was saturation though.

I pretty much shoot HE all the time, and usually start at least 6-8 fires per game.  And my captain doesn't even have demolition expert yet.

Beta Testers
220 posts
On 10/7/2017 at 7:23 PM, AMajor said:

I've enjoyed playing multiple lines of dds and cruisers (I rarely play BBs and I never play CVs).  I have limited time to play WOW's and I seem to be "stuck" at a plateau.  I have no Tier VI ships, and my play at Tier V is iffy at best.

Should I concentrate on one line for both the dds and cruisers to get better or should I continue to explore all of my potential adversaries?  

I recommend playing at least 100 games for each of the 4 ship types: DD, CA, BB, CV. This serves two purpose: (1) you may like it. (2) you know how to counter them in a different ship. This is particuarly true for DD. DD play are largely dependent to the player's reading of the minimap and predicting the enemy behavior. 

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles

I was in the same situation as you.  Carriers and BB's just did not work well.  Maybe one out of 5 matches went well at best.  I felt that I was getting hammered all the time.  So I started to watch youtube videos on DD's.   I listened to the strengths and weakness, and generic game play.  IT was my game play, my decisions and tactics.  I learned from youtube videos for my specific ship, and focused on US DD's, using them a gunboats first, ambush 2nd, and my damage and success started to quickly improve.  I very much enjoy the T6 Farragut, working on the Mahann (Tier 7).

My game play on cruisers sucked or worked well.  Did the same, and got much better.  I do not charge the capture point as I do not manage that well, usually get killed.  So, learn from your failures

Try that, and play against the bots.  When you do good consistently, then go into a match (people play different than bots, but the generic tactics are the same).  So I play US DD's, US, russian and German Cruisers.  Don't touch French or British ships much.

Search on youtube for "World of Warships" and the ship name.

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles

By the Way, AMajor, this is a good place to express your thought and get enough responses to make a good decision.  For me, I prefer US DD's.  Each tier has a strength and a weakness.  All have good guns.  Russian DD's have decent guns, but torps have very limited range.  Japanese have better torp range, but not as good guns.  If you want to spam with torps, Japanese DD's are the way to go.  If guns are important, then US DD's.  German DD's are fun at lower tiers, but have not played them above Tier 4.  Russian DD's are fast, good guns but not a high rate of fire in comparison to US, and a 4k torp range (but a fast reload!).  DD's put the fear factor in all other ship classes, which is one reason that everybody focuses on killing DD's the moment they are spotted.  High risk with high rewards.  I like DD's best, then cruisers.

Cruisers all are thin skinned (weak armor).  Some have torps, some get bigger guns faster (mid tiers) than others.  Cruisers are all good at killing DD's, hurting cruisers and BB's.  A good cruiser skipper will put fear into DD's.  US Cleveland is one of the most awesome cruisers in the game.  The Russian Kiev is a tier 5 thin skin heavy cruiser that is very lethal as well.  I like my Kiev.  Work on not showing your full broadside to anything!  That is my biggest lesson learned that I can share on any cruiser you have!  Always twist and turn, do not think you must have front and rear guns in use, protect your broadside from instant death BB hits!

Enjoy your adventure!

Sign in to follow this