You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeathLord1969

Desktop memory question

12 comments in this topic

Members
826 posts
2,634 battles

Is 16GBs necessary currently?

The system I am building currently consists of an i7 7700k, an MSI Z270-A Pro with a Samsung Evo Pro M.2 ssd.

If 16 is not needed, I will go with 8 for now.

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Members
121 posts
5,096 battles

out of my 8 gigs 53% is being used... 16 would be a better standard for other games and tasks. are you going to use the built-in CPU? or something like a 10 series?

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Run 8GB, but keep in mind upgrading to 16GB if you need it later down the road.

For the most part 16GB is overkill, but keep in mind your available slots with what chips you buy.

If you are interested, I found this site a few weeks ago to see how I would fare upgrading my GPU from my GTX 750 TI to the GTX 1060 6GB.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder

You can input your build and see how you fare. It should also show information on how it'll run games. Use the drop down to choose what you are going to purchase.

This is what my gain was just changing the GPU.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-750-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2187vs3639

My CP stats after my GPU upgrade.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5298475

Edited by Wulfgarn

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
2 hours ago, DeathLord1969 said:

The reason I am wondering is due to the current price of RAM.

If it were me, I would start with 8GB and see how it goes.

The only thing that would change my mind is if I got some sort of discount for buying the other 8GB right now. If not, worse case you buy the extra 8GB a few weeks after you get your rig together.

So far, everyone replying says the 8GB is gtg. :Smile_honoring:

Members
1,922 posts
2,492 battles

Buy one stick of 8GB right now and grab another identical one when prices drop.

I'm using up ~75% of my 8GB while playing WoWS, having a few browser tabs open in Chrome, and Discord/TS3 in the background. 

[SYN]
Members
14,448 posts
10,425 battles

8GB is enough for games.

16GB or more if you are going to do media creation

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
527 posts
8,540 battles
12 hours ago, DeathLord1969 said:

The reason I am wondering is due to the current price of RAM.

No kidding. I built a Ryzen system (R5 1500X) a month ago due to a dead motherboard (AM3+), and went with 8 GB of RAM at the time due to the price. Went with 2666 RAM as the 3200 price was more than I was willing to spend at the time; that and it wasn't a planned build. Now with that said for giggles I checked the price of the RAM I bought a month ago and it has gone up nearly $25.00.

Members
826 posts
2,634 battles
34 minutes ago, _GreyBeard_ said:

No kidding. I built a Ryzen system (R5 1500X) a month ago due to a dead motherboard (AM3+), and went with 8 GB of RAM at the time due to the price. Went with 2666 RAM as the 3200 price was more than I was willing to spend at the time; that and it wasn't a planned build. Now with that said for giggles I checked the price of the RAM I bought a month ago and it has gone up nearly $25.00.

Ya, I'm lookin at 3000+ up to 3600. So I'll probably go with 8 to get the build done, providing I can mount my current waterblock. May have to buy an air cooler.