You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Erebthoron

Bit of dissapointment about the Donskoi

9 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,196 posts
18,949 battles

I got my last non CV T9 today and after the Chap she is a let down. The reason: her guns are so inconsistand when it comes to damage. I either wreck the enemy or the shells just do nothing. I hit a Neptune from 5km slightly angled with AP and I got 8 bounce. I hit a BB with HE and 0 damage. And with the next salvo you set multiple fire or easy get citadel hits. Plus you wreck easy and DD. I did a average of 78k in 4 games. I feel comfortable with the ship but sometimes i get the feeling this will be a long way to get the last 210k till the Moskva.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,286 posts
25,423 battles
5 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

I got my last non CV T9 today and after the Chap she is a let down. The reason: her guns are so inconsistand when it comes to damage. I either wreck the enemy or the shells just do nothing. I hit a Neptune from 5km slightly angled with AP and I got 8 bounce. I hit a BB with HE and 0 damage. And with the next salvo you set multiple fire or easy get citadel hits. Plus you wreck easy and DD. I did a average of 78k in 4 games. I feel comfortable with the ship but sometimes i get the feeling this will be a long way to get the last 210k till the Moskva.

Out of curiosity, did you keep the Chappy or the Schlors?

Members
1,313 posts
21,160 battles

I had a tough time with it too.

But got the Moscva yesterday.  It seems a bit tougher than the Donski, and the US and RN T9 and 10 cruisers too.

I might finally have a T10 in the Moscva where I can get a win rate over 50%.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,196 posts
18,949 battles

Rather the Chap then the Shochrs. The first one is a solid T8 cruisers with radar, the other is a kind of Cleveland with usless torps and a worse armor.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,453 battles

as has been said many times...
IF you are not doing great in the DON,,,, you are def using it wrong... it is an AMAZING SHIP.... one of the best Cruiser AAA in the game... and used as a support ship it shines... one of the best radar DD hunters... and fantastic AP...
FLamu and NOTser have great vids on this ship.... some have changed over the year due to game mechanics and capt skill changes...
BUT I LOVED mine... although having the Moskva I rarely play it anymore, and the capt is only at ten points right now...
BUT research better setups and play styles.... she is a GREAT SHIP!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by pmgaudio
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,310 posts
17,372 battles

The only pleasure I take from the higher tier RU (and RN, for that matter,) is that of blasting them to bits.

Apparently I am congenitally unable to do well in either branch, as so have simply resigned myself to turning them into digital scrap.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

I found IFHE tremendously helpful for damage consistency on Donskoi. Of course, it's nearly useless on Moskva, so prepare to pay for a respec if you take it.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,240 posts
14,670 battles
2 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Rather the Chap then the Shochrs. The first one is a solid T8 cruisers with radar, the other is a kind of Cleveland with usless torps and a worse armor.

Likening Schors to Cleveland is incorrect, they play nothing alike.

Now, Cleveland is built like a tank compared to Schors.  Let's get that out of the way.  She also has magnificent AA.

Where Schors shines are 12 Russian 152mm guns with low arcs, high velocity shells, and very spammy rate of fire.  She can engage at ranges where Cleveland struggles.  Hell, Cleveland can struggle to hit Non-BB targets at 12km or more, but Schors?  She can easily hit Cruiser and BB targets out to her max 16.8km range, no problem, the same way Budyonny, Chapyev would.  Hell, they're the same guns!

Cleveland needs to get close, and she's great for team air defense.  Schors is pure ranged gun support.  Keep her far from the fight as possible.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,195 posts
11,707 battles
4 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

When in doubt, shoot HE.  I like the Donskoi far more than my Moskva.

Edited by crzyhawk