You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mofton

Which ships should I pick up again?

Choices, Choices  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship is most worthwhile continuing to grind through?

• Yorck
    • Friedrich der Grosse
    • Z-23
    • Myoko
    • Kongo
    • Shiratsuyu
    • Tashkent
    • Udaloi
    • Hosho
    • Langley

16 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,809 posts
10,327 battles

Aloha All,

I've somewhat abandoned a whole group of ships in game, I don't like them, don't enjoy them or don't like where they're headed.

Any thoughts on which one is a hidden gem, or thoughts on where the destination's so much better than the journey it's worth it?

Cheers!

P.s. I threw in the carriers, but to be honest that's not going to happen.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,809 posts
10,327 battles
2 minutes ago, Drago_Ryder said:

Myoko is pretty good to me, but it's really a question of what ship you have the most experiance with. 

Myoko's one I dropped a long time ago, I didn't like turret traverse.

It is one of the more attractive ones to pick up, I just have 'HE spam cruiser fatigue' at the moment, having just gone through Algerie-Saint Louis, Schors-Donskoi, RN BB and Des Moines recently.

If Mogami's a bit different, maybe worth re-engaging.

Members
150 posts
2,332 battles
1 minute ago, mofton said:

It is one of the more attractive ones to pick up, I just have 'HE spam cruiser fatigue' at the moment, having just gone through Algerie-Saint Louis, Schors-Donskoi, RN BB and Des Moines recently.

Not really. IFHE + the 155s turn that beauty into a fire breather.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,620 posts
18,209 battles

I said the Langley because I prefer it over the Hosho. I think everyone should have one carrier for CV specific missions or times when you need to kill X amount of planes. 

[SYN]
Members
102 posts
8,408 battles

The Z-23 was a lot of fun, I found. Has the most second most HP at tier VIII (19k?) for a destroyer. Good (but not great) torps, Hydro, and five 155mm guns to batter enemy DDs with. The AP works well agains cruisers, too.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
20 minutes ago, mofton said:

Myoko has the worst traverse of the line. Every other one is much better.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,908 battles

How could you not like the Udaloi? I prefer her over the Khab.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,245 posts

I fully agree with you on the carriers.  Every time I'm tempted, I always end up saying nah... (or HELL no!)

I voted for Yorck.  Roon and Hindenburg are both good ships reportedly (still on Hipper, myself), and worth the grind.   Plus, I really liked Yorck, and it's responsible for making me love heavy cruisers.   That seems to be modus operadi for the German cruiser line- force players to grind through 2 or 3 poor/average ships, in order to get to the good ones.  First it was Kolburg and Karl (and Dresden,imo) to get to Konigsburg and Nurnberg.  Then Yorck and Hipper to get to the real good ones at tier 9 and 10.

The other would be the RU DD line leading up to Khab.  That's another destination ship.

The IJN lines, I'm almost completely uninterested in.  I stopped the BB's at Kongo, and am sporadically playing Myoko- it just feels "wrong" compared to the other tier 7 heavies I've played, and I usually do very poorly with it.  (I sure do like shooting at them, though!)  Not a bad ship- just a playstyle that I'm not into.

Just for the record, I play in Co-op.  The obnoxious tactics that make a lot of T7 etc cruisers so un-fun to play (and so easily sunk) in randoms are largely absent there.  For example: Yorck's biggest issue, imo are it's FLOATY shells at long range.  This makes it very difficult to do much damage in the stay at max range and kite and snipe meta that prevails in randoms.   If you close range, you become the new favorite target practice.  Algerie also suffers from this to an extent.  In pve, the bots most often push aggressively, leading to closer range fighting (Yorck's wheelhouse), opening up all sorts of fun ways to use the ship.  Yorck has 6 km torpedoes with very good firing arcs- great in close contact fights, absolutely useless in camp n snipe fights.

That's what goes through my mind when I read through so many of these X cruiser SUX!! or Buff xyz NAO!!! threads.  " ...And this is why I grind those ships in pve,lol."

[LOU1]
Members
3,039 posts
8,128 battles

Interestingly, my list looks just like yours.  Except, I do still somewhat like the Shira.  I am working at liking the Yorck, but it is a challenge because I am finding it difficult to adapt  to it.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

Myoko.  I use EM and the MBM to increase turret traverse.

[RLGN]
Members
8,260 posts
17,271 battles

Langley.

With Air Supremacy and even a little CV driving competence the ship is a beast; despite the tier 4-5 CVs being nuetered through lack of manual attacks.

Beta Testers
1,195 posts
6,161 battles

Z-23. Has some drawbacks, but the Z-46 is absolutely worth it, and I have a feeling German DDs are going to become much more effective after smoke changes.

[PVE]
Members
5,620 posts
18,209 battles
2 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

Interestingly, my list looks just like yours.  Except, I do still somewhat like the Shira.  I am working at liking the Yorck, but it is a challenge because I am finding it difficult to adapt  to it.

I really love cruisers and cruiser play but I am with you on the Yorck. Just something I don't like about this ship. I love the Schorrs but the German tier 7 and I just don't mesh well. Can't quite put my finger on it.