You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SailorDeadpool1XPOIXKita

New Game suggestion FFA

What game tier would FFA really be fun at?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What game tier would FFA really be fun at?

• Tier 1-4
    • Tier 5-6
    • Tier 7-8
    • Tier 9-10

11 comments in this topic

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

FFA is that "free for all"?

Interesting idea.  How many in a match?  How would you keep it from being a bunch of ships camping and waiting for weakness?  You'd need comms to make the Machiavellian negotiations part of the show.

[IXM]
Members
192 posts
3,441 battles

This could work with specific ships and loadouts.  T2 Mikasas only, T3 Derzkis only, things like that.  Otherwise some ships would have a major advantage over others.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles

I would say that it would have to be only one option: Tier 1-2.

Why? At higher tiers, many ships are specialized around their role in the team. Cruisers are often support ships. Battleships are tanks and breakthrough vehicles. Destroyers are spotters and late-game assassins. And Carriers are long-ranged support units.

Now, in any FFA, you couldn't have carriers. They'd be too weak, due to their long rearm, RNG-dependency, and fleet-dependency, as well as the most obvious lack of direct surface combat capabilities. This either means restrict them... or choose a tier where they do not exist. So, Tier 3 and below is carrier-free.

It would also be unfair in an FFA if a certain class got to heal damage dealt to it, while having the largest hitpools and the biggest guns. So, Battleships are out, because they are too powerful in FFA. Either the battleship would dominate, and it would be all battleships, or everyone would try to focus the battleship, which, regardless, is not fun. So, this is now Tiers 1 and 2.

Honestly, Destroyers and Cruisers are relatively well-balanced against each-other, but smoke does create an issue. It is, however, not enough of an issue to warrant the complete removal of destroyers from the selection pool.

What is an issue is tier discrepancy: most Tier 2s are more powerful than the preceeding Tier 1, especially since Tier 2s can choose their ammunition type while Tier 1s cannot (Tier 1 ships only get 1 type of shell: AP for Black Swan, and HE for everyone else). So, we would have to have tier restrictions: Tier 1s see Tier 1s, and Tier 2s see Tier 2s.

Finally, it would not be good to throw someone into a battle who didn't have an idea of how to play. That would only invite slaughter. Instead, there would be a service-level unlock of FFA. Where you would put this is not immediately clear, but it has to be in the later half of service levels. I'd go ahead and put it at the Service Level before ClanWars.

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
10 hours ago, surratus said:

Interesting idea.  How many in a match?  How would you keep it from being a bunch of ships camping and waiting for weakness?  You'd need comms to make the Machiavellian negotiations part of the show.

indeed it is it will be fun...

[SYN]
Members
14,439 posts
10,418 battles
10 hours ago, surratus said:

you have the taint force them to move, obviously.

I suggested a game mode like this before. Blatant PUBG knock-off, but I'm sure it will be fun.

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
13 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

you have the taint force them to move, obviously.

I suggested a game mode like this before. Blatant PUBG knock-off, but I'm sure it will be fun.

indeed It will, also be great when u don't feel like playing with them weekend potato's