You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
banzai014

Halloween event's "The Taint" should be renamed

87 comments in this topic

Members
13 posts
460 battles

So I just saw a news roundup of the upcoming Halloween event, which involves us players moving in and out of "The Taint,"

https://thedailybounce.net/2017/10/06/world-of-warships-supertest-halloween-clan-battles-and-graf-zeppelin/

Energy Shield makes your ship immune to all type of damage, except for the damage from The Taint.

Destroyer's Engine Boost enhances engine performance and repairs damage when inside The Taint. Repair efficiency grows with total damage dealt in several stages.

I humbly suggest that you rename this mechanic. Suggested alternatives: "The Chaos Zone", "The Corruption", "The Nightmare"

The Russian devs perhaps did not think that translation through as there are some very unfortunate implications.

Edited by banzai014
  • Cool 1

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,541 battles

Unfortunately, it seems like you're too illminded to realize that 'taint' does not mean what you think it is, but means something else.

Members
3,468 posts
6,156 battles
1 minute ago, Unabletony said:

Unfortunately, it seems like you're too illminded to realize that 'taint' does not mean what you think it is, but means something else.

It is all of those things actually..

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

The word is being used properly, there is no need to change it simply because people decide to think of something else.

• Cool 4

[YORHA]
Members
3,319 posts

The problem is that words can have many meanings.  Not understanding that can make one look like an...

s4SlWqU.jpg

or sometimes even a...

ZNgKojj.jpg

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,401 posts
9,560 battles

'Taint' can be replaced with 'balls'...

Not going to ban that word either.

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles

How about we get restaurants to stop offering tossed salads, and Tetley to rename teabags first?

Chevy didn't rename the Nova because it means "doesn't go" in Spanish, why should an Eastern European company rename something because it has a negative connotation in a different language?

All I can think of when this topic comes up is a bunch of little kids giggling because a tired person said they were pooped....

Edited by Skpstr

Alpha Tester
5,032 posts
2,431 battles

The original definition of the word is "a trace of a bad or undesirable quality or substance" or to "contaminate or pollute (something)", according to Google. I'd suggest that the OP get their mind out of the gutter.

[CUTE]
Supertester
4,090 posts
4,164 battles
27 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

How about we get restaurants to stop offering tossed salads, and Tetley to rename teabags first?

Chevy didn't rename the Nova because it means "doesn't go" in Spanish, why should an Eastern European company rename something because it has a negative connotation in a different language?

All I can think of when this topic comes up is a bunch of little kids giggling because a tired person said they were pooped....

Looks at a specific brand of Australian cheese

:fish_aqua:

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Members
2,252 posts
6,298 battles
22 minutes ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

looks at a certain Australian candy too

Edited by 212thAttackBattalion

[PVE]
Members
381 posts
8,570 battles

I'm all for rename.

Even if the RU developers didn't catch that I guarantee the U.S side of things had a good snicker and a, "should we tell them? naaah." moment

It sounds just to silly for a game trying to gain new players.

[PVE]
Members
381 posts
8,570 battles

here's a good example: a kick me sign on a person's back.

It's just a sign.

only two words.

What's the big deal?

You look ridiculous.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,479 posts
4,069 battles
34 minutes ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Hahaha, thinking the same thing!

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
50 minutes ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Lol not familiar with Aussie products. What is it?

[SF-3]
Members
1,502 posts
8,097 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

It was my understanding that the Nova actually had extremely poor sales in Central and South American, due in part to this. I certainly would not buy a car whose name translated to "No Go" in my language. I realize this word has many meanings, but the most common meaning when it is used as "the taint" would be anatomical. I mean WG can do whatever they want, they usually do, so leave it, doesn't matter, just sounds stupid here in NA.

Edited by Kevs02Accord

Beta Testers
483 posts
3,914 battles

They could just add "ed" to the end of the word. Sounds better. But, the 13 year old boy inside me is giggling. He hehe "taint".

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
8 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

It was my understanding that the Nova actually had extremely poor sales in Central and South American, due in part to this. I certainly would not buy a car whose name translated to "No Go" in my language. I realize this word has many meanings, but the most common meaning when it is used as "the taint" would be anatomical. I mean WG can do whatever they want, they usually do, so leave it, doesn't matter, just sounds stupid here in NA

Exactly. Sales were poor in a minor market, who cares? They used the name for what, 11 years and 3 body styles? And then even brought it back for a couple years in the 80s.

And it must be a Euro translation thing, as Two Worlds also features "the Taint".

Edited by Skpstr

[LANCE]
Members
304 posts
3,220 battles
1 hour ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

looks at a certain Australian candy too

Talking of Australian food products ...

[video]https://youtu.be/pD9N34I9_D0[/video]

Its called the “double entendre” which even as a 47yr old I find amusing :cap_haloween:

[HINON]
Members
2,252 posts
6,298 battles
1 minute ago, Bravo4zero said:

Talking of Australian food products ...

[video]https://youtu.be/pD9N34I9_D0[/video]

Its called the “double entendre” which even as a 47yr old I find amusing :cap_haloween:

I there is one thing us Aussies do well, it is tv commercials haha, even today that saying is still in popular use for Nobby's.

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
304 posts
3,220 battles
11 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

I there is one thing us Aussies do well, it is tv commercials haha, even today that saying is still in popular use for Nobby's.

Agreed mate! I was in my mid teens when I saw that commercial and still remember it! Us Brits share the same humor level :cap_haloween:

Edited by Bravo4zero