13 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
18 battles

I am so sorry for posting on the wrong topic list, but I had no other options available to me (for some reason)

please have some understanding and try to keep a good reputation unlike the WarThunder moderators

However the thing I will be talking about it. Is "World Of WarShips" worth it? I mean, I played a couple of hours a VERY long time ago and I am thinking about returning back to the game. However many things are holding me back from getting it and here is a list of what is holding me back from returning;

1. Game is repetitive

2. Game takes up a HUGE amount of space (even though it doesn't really have much content)

3. No 'permanent' ship customising ( no customising system like WarThunder)

4. game kind of feels 'dead inside' because you can't customise and all you do is play game after game on VERY few maps.

5. Limited amount of ships for some nations (like Britain until recently)

6. The only 'Customising' feature of the game is either 'premium' or some sort of booster that lasts for one game.

I really enjoyed the customisation system of WarThunder, because it really allowed people to take 'ownership' of their vehicles rather then 'borrow' and simply grind with them. Can anyone tell me any good points as to why I should come back?

[O_O]
Members
4,415 posts
9,558 battles

Well, WoWS is free, so yeah, I guess it's "worth it".

I get your issue with repetitive game play, but that is just the style of game.  A simulator would be more immersive and offer more diversity, but game play would be very slow and for many, even more boring.

I am leery of customization.  Some of the ships already look ridiculous with gaudy orange, red and yellow camo schemes.  Making warships look like flashy race cars is not appealing to me.  However, I wouldn't care what visual customization was available for other players if I could have a "historical appearances" check box in settings, that would show me what I prefer to see while allowing others to see what they prefer to see.  With such a setting I would still like to be able to use camo that has benefits, even if I can't see them.  It would be a bit of a pity, as I do like the appearance of many of the camos...but I loathe both Halloween versions, Ocean Soul, Valentines, Back 2 School, La Fheile Padraig, FTW, etc.

The ship lines are expanding.  Since I started in Open Beta, the new lines that have been added include:

1. German destroyers
  2. German cruisers
  3. German battleships
  4. Russian destroyers (two tech tree lines)
  5. Russian cruisers
  6. additional Japanese destroyer line
  7. British battleships
  8. British cruisers
  9. French cruisers
  10. Pan-Asia destroyers (coming very soon)
  11. plus a couple of dozen premiums

...and more are still on the way.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

Members
650 posts
7,477 battles

There will be more ships coming soon on some nations, but I rather them prioritize the CV balancing first...
And I think the game "isn't" dead, the game is still progressing, you just have to wait ( Kind to think of it, the game has not yet gotten to 1.0 )

And what's that customizing thing? I only play WT 3 times then Uninstalled so I have no idea what is it...

Spoiler

Some funny moment though I did in my 3 games on it
T'was helping a upside down tank on WT and hook em up in my tank to help him get back up, but I instead kept on pulling him upside down the entire time *cough* best mechanics on WT

26 minutes ago, The_Tea_Company said:

Can anyone tell me any good points as to why I should come back?

-Halloween Is coming, so don't miss the event
-Do the mission today for the free Tier 5 Russian Battleship, once it ends you cant continue further on the next mission ( or you can just buy it on the store :/ )

Members
763 posts
15,831 battles

No game is worth it if 'new' and 'wide variables' are what you're chasing. Card games like poker aren't new, but they survive because people enjoy the play rather than the 'new.' Same with checkers or chess or Monopoly. If you don't like to sail and shoot, then don't load it. I do love to sail and shoot, as you can see...

mbXnP3J.jpg

Members
4 posts
18 battles
8 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

No game is worth it if 'new' and 'wide variables' are what you're chasing. Card games like poker aren't new, but they survive because people enjoy the play rather than the 'new.' Same with checkers or chess or Monopoly. If you don't like to sail and shoot, then don't load it. I do love to sail and shoot, as you can see...

that logic is a bit out-dated. A video game is very FAR from related to a good classic board game, etc. However I see what you mean.

[LOU1]
Members
3,046 posts
8,128 battles

I think that WOWS, like any other activity, either clicks with a person or it doesn't.  As a recreational pursuit, I don't think a person should play WOWS or any other activity if they aren't drawn to it by the game itself or the opportunity to play with close friends that like it.  Some of the things that I like about WOWS (everyone's mileage will differ):

• For me, WOWS feels like the planning of chess mixed with the quick action of checkers.  There are the strategic choices of backgammon and Chinese checkers coupled with the adeptness of Jenga or Jacks.
  • There is the "depth" of WOWS.  By that I mean that, in addition to the actual battles, there are working through a line of ships, developing Commanders, and building up skills in a particular class. 
  • WOWS includes both strategic (overall flow of battle) and tactical (dealing with the enemies in your immediate vicinity) game play happening at the same time. 
  • The game allows me to play relatively anonymously with a bunch of strangers or work with a team of other players that I have practiced with. 
  • While there are limited options for "bling", I am able to customize some of the core features of my ships through choices in ship upgrades and Commander skills.
  • Developing the broad range of skills in WOWS is challenging for me and keeps me engaged (and frustrated at times)
  • While simplified somewhat to enhance game play, there are just enough historical touches to make the game feel somewhat realistic to me.  It is easy to allow myself to buy into the feeling of fighting an actual battle at the time.
  • For all of the salt that can sometimes flow, the WOWS forums make for a pretty good community to be a part of.
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,451 posts
11,762 battles
5 hours ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

Sounds to me like you are more interested in putting "stickers" on your digital content.

I would just stick with War Thunder.

Don't forget the variety in ships Thunder has.....

What a couple destroyers and a few tp boats....

• Cool 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Play WOWS as a secondary/third, not your primary game.

Do not spend any money here either.

Stick with WT. I am anxiously awaiting more ship content.

Members
519 posts
3,350 battles

I have never really understood how customizing something makes the game more "alive" and even with customizing it wouldn't become repetitive ? and you complain about how much space it needs and suggest it needs to be more like another game to be worth it ? then why are you even here  you answered it yourself ..

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,644 posts
9,035 battles

1. Game is repetitive

All games become repetitive as people learn the best ways to play and win.

2. Game takes up a HUGE amount of space (even though it doesn't really have much content)

3. No 'permanent' ship customising ( no customising system like WarThunder)

4. game kind of feels 'dead inside' because you can't customise and all you do is play game after game on VERY few maps.

WT is over 16 GBs so isn't exactly small on the required space. WT really doesn't have a lot of content either when you get down to it and has been out for far longer than WoWS. Far too much of the customizing I saw in WT's air and ground modes looked like a drunk five year old had been playing with his crayons and should have been justifiably TK'd so  I feel WG's more limited customizing is a benefit. You can mode the ship skins and there are quite a few out there and you are the only one that will see them.

5. Limited amount of ships for some nations (like Britain until recently)

It takes time to add content to a game and while WT has hundreds of planes and tanks to chose from only a few are worth playing and you have have the terrible Arcade mode or hard core sim in Realistic & Simulation modes with Simulation only having cockpit view..

6. The only 'Customising' feature of the game is either 'premium' or some sort of booster that lasts for one game.

Premium works mostly the same in both games, faster experience gains and more credits earned. and WT has its own boosters that are time limited.

Also Knights of the Sea is still in pay to play closed beta so really cannot be compared to this game.

1,542 posts
26 battles

Thanks for your feedback guys. I appreciate you bringing your concerns forward @The_Tea_Company. As always, we are happy to hear any feedback you guys have on our game as it really helps us to improve going forward

[WOLF3]
Members
6,460 posts
2,405 battles
On 10/7/2017 at 5:28 AM, desmo_2 said:

I wouldn't care what visual customization was available for other players if I could have a "historical appearances" check box in settings, that would show me what I prefer to see while allowing others to see what they prefer to see.  With such a setting I would still like to be able to use camo that has benefits, even if I can't see them.  It would be a bit of a pity, as I do like the appearance of many of the camos...but I loathe both Halloween versions, Ocean Soul, Valentines, Back 2 School, La Fheile Padraig, FTW, etc.

In Aslain's modpack there are mods that remove camo and weathering and battle damage effects.  I leave them enabled, but you might want to try them.

Edited by iDuckman