You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

NO really needs another buff.

125 comments in this topic

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,200 battles

Average win rate of the ship is 48%, average damage only around 25000. The ship's basically unplayable with stock configuration in its match making tier. Even fully upgraded it just suck balls. It has no range, no maneuverability, no repairs, and no torpedoes. (Is that why its acronym is NO?) The only thing that's slightly even redeemable is the camo, which is... average for the cruisers in its tier. The gun's trajectory is too flat to be of any use behind all but the lowest of the covers. 

Who in WG thought it's a good idea to make NO tier 8? The ship really needs a rehaul or preferential match making and see only T8 ships. 

Edited by NeutralState

Members
612 posts
4,907 battles

I'm not so sure. I played  through the ship before the buff and I thought the ship was great. When I was able to score 10k dmg ap salvos on a broadside Yamato's upper belt I fell in love. I can't stress enough how awesome that ap is. IJN CAs just completely melt in 2 or three salvos when they try to torp you. 

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
371 posts
9,089 battles

Take it from a NO fan, it could use a bit of a durability upgrade.  The AP rocks but that health pool man. :cap_fainting:

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,333 posts
6,609 battles
53 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

The only thing that's slightly even redeemable is the camo, which is... average for the cruisers in its tier.

New Orleans can reach 9.1km with it's Concealment which is very very good for a Cruiser. Compare that to the other Cruisers she has at her Tier:

Eugen: 11.5km
Kutuzow: 11.1km
Hipper: 10.9km
Charles Martel: 10.5km
Chapayev: 10.1km
Mogami: 9.3km
Atago: 9.1km
New Orleans: 9.1km
Edinburgh: 9km

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,333 posts
6,609 battles
5 minutes ago, joris92 said:

What about giving T8 cruisers  acces to Repair Party when they have to fight T10s?

That would make the life of T6 even worse. There is already quite a power gap between T6 and T8, giving a Repair to T8 would only make it worse.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
1 minute ago, SireneRacker said:

That would make the life of T6 even worse. There is already quite a power gap between T6 and T8, giving a Repair to T8 would only make it worse.

No, because T8 cruisers can't use it when there is no T10 in the battle.

EDIT: So T8 cruisers will have it only when they fight vs T10s, so when they are the lowest tier. I think this gives them a pleasant boost.

Edited by joris92
  • Cool 2

Members
835 posts
4,635 battles

From someone who hunts NOs, they do seem rather squishy and don't often play as big a part in Randoms as the other tier 8 cruisers do. No smoke, no torpedoes, not enough health and I don't think she has radar (I may be wrong). Not enough DPM to put the hurt on anything other than broadside cruisers.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,200 battles
7 minutes ago, LordGomes said:

From someone who hunts NOs, they do seem rather squishy and don't often play as big a part in Randoms as the other tier 8 cruisers do. No smoke, no torpedoes, not enough health and I don't think she has radar (I may be wrong). Not enough DPM to put the hurt on anything other than broadside cruisers.

9km radar, but good luck getting close enough to use it. Unless the map has an island very close to the point. The radar can't be used.

[SYN]
Members
14,468 posts
10,488 battles
16 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Well about that...

Edinburgh is just flat out more tanky than NO, while also doing every single thing better than NO.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,479 posts
4,069 battles

Her guns are punchy and she’s a good support cruiser. But I think she could use a slight buff to her survivability. I struggle to survive long enough to perform well with her in tier 9/10 MM.

Members
835 posts
4,635 battles
3 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

9km radar, but good luck getting close enough to use it. Unless the map has an island very close to the point. The radar can't be used.

Gotcha. I just never seem to worry about NOs on the enemy team, even when I'm playing a destroyer. It just doesn't stand out as a credible threat. Even when I'm caught in a compromising situation in a cruiser, I often do a lot of damage to the red before I go down.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,333 posts
6,609 battles
3 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Well about that...

Edinburgh is just flat out more tanky than NO, while also doing every single thing better than NO.

That is a very risky statement that I disagree on.

For one the citadel on New Orleans is a lot shorter than on the Edinburgh and the all-around armor is also clearly better on New Orleans, allowing her to withstand Destroyer HE a lot better than Edinburgh does. So while Edinburgh may have her super heal, she also takes a lot more damage in return. A lot.

And being restricted to AP only does leave it's marks at several points. Sure RN AP does get better normalization, but USN 8" AP has better autobounce angles. And the ability to damage heavily angled targets is very useful. And against DDs HE is in my opinion stronger. Running or charging DDs are very difficult to damage with AP shells as they can also bounce your shells, HE does not bounce. And the damage to engine, rudder and Torpedo Tubes does help as well.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,468 posts
10,488 battles

That is a very risky statement that I disagree on.

For one the citadel on New Orleans is a lot shorter than on the Edinburgh and the all-around armor is also clearly better on New Orleans, allowing her to withstand Destroyer HE a lot better than Edinburgh does. So while Edinburgh may have her super heal, she also takes a lot more damage in return. A lot.

And being restricted to AP only does leave it's marks at several points. Sure RN AP does get better normalization, but USN 8" AP has better autobounce angles. And the ability to damage heavily angled targets is very useful. And against DDs HE is in my opinion stronger. Running or charging DDs are very difficult to damage with AP shells as they can also bounce your shells, HE does not bounce. And the damage to engine, rudder and Torpedo Tubes does help as well.

Trust me, Edinburgh is way more tanky than NO, even without the heal.

Also, chasing DDs in NO is a very awful prospect. It is best to smash DDs when you catch them turning around to run, and to that end, Edinburgh does a way better job.

[PVE]
Members
1,609 posts
6,769 battles

Loved Pensacola, even though everyone told me I would hate it and how NO was so much better, what a bunch of [edited], absolutely hate NO, paper thin armor think I will just free xp put of it seeing I only need another 40k to Balti. Why suffer any longer than you have to, right?!?

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,333 posts
6,609 battles
2 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Trust me, Edinburgh is way more tanky than NO, even without the heal.

Also, chasing DDs in NO is a very awful prospect. It is best to smash DDs when you catch them turning around to run, and to that end, Edinburgh does a way better job.

A little hard to believe, considering that New Orleans' citadel is nearly unreachable below the turrets, leaving only roughly one third of the ship length where you can citadel her. Meanwhile Edinburgh has something like 5/6th of the ships length where you can citadel her.

It's not about chsing DDs, it's about killing them. And thanks to the Radar NO gets an advantage against anything that sits inside smoke, be it Destroyer or Cruiser.

[O_O]
Members
4,433 posts
9,620 battles

I didn't have any real complaints with New Orleans (55% WR, 44,400 avg damage, 1,269 avg xp in 73 games).

I also liked Pensacola (61% WR, 40,700 avg damage, 1,319 avg xp in 67 games).

But man, so far I am struggling with Baltimore (43% WR, 26,450 avg damage, 1,024 avg xp in 23 games).

I can't really explain that, as Baltimore is just more of Pensacola and New Orleans.  I would say higher tier opponents play a role, but I saw plenty of T9/10 in New Orleans, too. 

Edited by desmo_2

Beta Testers
1,199 posts
6,207 battles

The New Orleans is incredibly hard to play well, especially considering her stealth can prove detrimental if you open fire in a poor spot. Its firepower is good and it is generally flexible, but HORRIBLY squishy and loves to eat citadels from the weirdest angles. You have to use extreme map awareness or you will get yourself killed.

Your stealth allows you to ambush other cruisers, which it does extremely effectively, and provide radar support to spot destroyers, but you yourself cannot afford to hunt them down by yourself. Your firepower is not that good at killing them, and you should avoid being spotted by them if it all possible. Until later in the game or when you know that you'll be able to ambush people, you HAVE to play very passively. All of the US cruisers rely on their team to do things, while you're very good at supporting them.

[SYN]
Members
14,468 posts
10,488 battles

A little hard to believe, considering that New Orleans' citadel is nearly unreachable below the turrets, leaving only roughly one third of the ship length where you can citadel her. Meanwhile Edinburgh has something like 5/6th of the ships length where you can citadel her.

It's not about chsing DDs, it's about killing them. And thanks to the Radar NO gets an advantage against anything that sits inside smoke, be it Destroyer or Cruiser.

NO citadel is very easy to hit, thanks to height and very weak belt. Alternatively, it will eat a whole bunch of penetration hits very easily, and since it has the lowest HP of T8 cruisers, it is quickly dispatched.

Edinburgh citadel is very troll, despite being quite long.

Edinburgh can also be fitted with 9.0km 30s radar

Beta Testers
1,199 posts
6,207 battles
5 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Which the New Orleans struggles with on its own. You need ships like the Edinburgh, Mogami, or other gunboat destroyers near you to make full use of your radar, your guns are just horrible at dealing with smoked up destroyers, or cruisers that aren't caught fairly broadside.

The thing about Edinburgh is, even if it does eat a citadel, it has smoke to fall back on and is the tier when you get the RN superheal, which doesn't care about citadel damage. Every point of damage the New Orleans takes is permanent, even one citadel is crippling. The Edinburgh has something like 3 or 4 times the effective HP of the New Orleans.

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,093 posts
7,667 battles

Repair Party for New Orleans.  She's seriously one of those cruisers that deserves it, both for gameplay and historical reason.

• Cool 1

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles

I am not a great fan of the repair party. I think it is a mistake to have that in the game.

Now, the NO is extremely squishy indeed, but it is also hugely influential in the game. Conceal + radar makes it a wonder, even if it can be a one hit wonder.

The main problem with the NO, is its tier and the T10 match up. Although it is true for most T8, the NO just does not tier up well while other cruisers of the same tier do a little better. As it is, it is probably fairly balanced at T8 although on the weaker side.