You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

Pacific Rim: Uprising - So I heard you like robots~!

17 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,575 posts

Jaeger on Jaeger action? I guess we're finally getting a modern version of Robot Jox

• Cool 1

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,982 posts
15,728 battles

Well Godzilla thinks

qUespOc.jpg

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Oh yeah! I have been waiting for this one! 

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,741 battles

Aww man, another popcorn movie which you are gonna regret spending money and time watching but you know you are gonna eventually watch it anyway...

3300512.jpg

[SOUP]
7,575 posts
13 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Aww man, another popcorn movie which you are gonna regret spending money and time watching but you know you are gonna eventually watch it anyway...

I gave up on expecting great cinema when the 80s ended. When I watch a film like Pacific Rim, I'm not expecting some in-depth character development story, I expect a giant robot swinging a cargo ship around like it's sword, and I wasn't disappointed

If I crave a cinematic masterpiece, I'll watch Seven Samurai. And spend money? I only go to a theater if I know I'll enjoy a film.   Dunkirk? Enjoyed every moment of it. Star Wars: The Last Jedi? I'll probably like it too. My Little Pony: The Movie? It's had good reviews but I'm concerned it might just be another Hasbro cash-grab.
The biggest issue is the taste of the viewer, and whether or not they have an open mind. I've always been a critic of the cinema and have been watching films for 27 years now, and in that time I've seen films that I expected to be terrible be highly entertaining and films that I expected to be the next big thing to be little more than a few clever lines for a trailer and then nothing but filler.

Beta Testers
1,225 posts
8,474 battles

Loved the first film. Saw it twice on IMAX and pity people who didn't like it ( likely Twilight fans or Batman fanatics who take Dark Night too seriously).

Del Torro tried like hell to get a Godzilla tie in but couldn't get the parties together. 

If it's as creative as the first film I'm there. Going to have a hard time upping the Hong Kong battle though.

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,741 battles
2 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

I'm not that picky with my movies. Even just the slightest attempt for some ingenuity, creativity, and educated satire can make a file felt justified for my time and money. From 007: Skyfall, Edge of Tomorrow, to Inception, I enjoyed almost every movie with a sound, fresh premise. It doesn't even have to be a film filled with the blatant obvious satisfaction of Micheal Bay-style demolition, for example, some smaller, less visually impacting productions like  Er ist wieder da, in its humorous and creative representation of you-know-who as a simple  Nietzschean übermensch.

Now you see why I have a problem with this new Pacific Rim movie. Not only its a very extra follow-up story of a very well concluded timeline and settings, it's also the sequel to a very blunt and whimsical movie to start with.

Not to mention the physics, we won't even go there, attempting to use your brain will cause fatigue, nausea, and stupidity.

[SOUP]
7,575 posts
5 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Not to mention the physics, we won't even go there, attempting to use your brain will cause fatigue, nausea, and stupidity.

Don't you dare start with me on physics in films. Theres a ton of films you likely hold up as the end-all-be-all of cinematography that I could tear apart with simple logic and science. In Battleship, in one small scene alone, I saw 4 major flaws in basic physics.
Here's one, Star Wars. Everyone loves Star Wars, everyone knows Star Wars. The big pivotal plotpoint in A New Hope? The Death Star. Without it, you don't have much of a story.
So you send a magical farmboy from the desert up there to destroy it, not alone of course, there are 30 ships going up against it. But by the end of the battle, the Rebel Alliance had lost 27 ships and their crews, all valuable assets.
But they didn't have to risk a single life in the battle, not one.
We now go live to Yang Wen-li for a demonstration:

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,741 battles
22 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

download.php?memeid=37783

Just saying that when it gets too unrealistic the movie itself stopped feeling visually convincing...which...diminishes audiences' immersion...into the movie...

Edited by The_first_harbinger

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,741 battles
2 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

I am well aware of the square-cube law and its implications, but films like pacific rim can still make giant moving objects seem realistic -- or plausible so to say, by making them the largest object in the picture, isolate objects from their surroundings, slow acceleration in motions, etc, can create a sense of enormous size and mass.

But in the ship-baseball-bat scene in particular, figures fights in enclosed city spaces, for some reason the motions seem accelerated, and the addition of a ship's mass isn't well reflected, lacking in damage, impact and sound effects.

It feels like just for that particular scene the movie was acted by action figures, and the fight took part on a table top or in a living room.

I find that quite interesting.

[VVV]
Members
359 posts
2,271 battles

Sweet, so excited for the movie (if you can't tell by my name and profile pic, I loved Pacific Rim)

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,237 posts
4,804 battles

All I can say is it's about friggin time!! Course, Big O wouldn't be a bad flick either for the genre....

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles

On one hand: YES MORE PACI RIM.
On the other: EEW,  John Boyega.

And to be honest, I don't necessarily like the look of this one. The Jaegers have moved into that Uncanny Valley area of Giant Robots. Too fast to be "Hulking Mechanical Monstrosities" like Battletech, Chrome Hounds, and similar.Too slow to land in the "Jet Boosting Gundams" area. They seem to move like the Megazord, which isn't a good thing. Either way, I'm still going to see it, even with awful movie killing Actor and icky change to mech speed.

Edited by AirshipCanon