You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Alex

Graf Zeppelin Test 1 Torpedo Bombers killing a Bismarck with a single Deep Water Torpedo, is this meant to happen at all?

22 comments in this topic

[1776_]
Alpha Tester
2,625 posts
4,961 battles

Last night, I was testing my Graf Zeppelin Test 1 and her torpedo bombers. Well when I saw a Bismarck with a cruiser supporting it and then a minute later, the cruiser went a bit further and the Bismarck became a easy target. I decided to send a single JU-87C Torpedo Bomber Squad armed with Deep Water Torpedo in and to my surprise, one single Deep Water torpedo went into the middle of the Bismarck BB and literally killed it, one single torpedo took out 69,200 HP from Bismarck BB, is this mean to happen, the Bismarck BB was literally trying to turn. Is this meant to happen?

worldofwarships 2017-10-04 19-39-13-60.jpg

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
5 minutes ago, Mr_Alex said:

Last night, I was testing my Graf Zeppelin Test 1 and her torpedo bombers. Well when I saw a Bismarck with a cruiser supporting it and then a minute later, the cruiser went a bit further and the Bismarck became a easy target. I decided to send a single JU-87C Torpedo Bomber Squad armed with Deep Water Torpedo in and to my surprise, one single Deep Water torpedo went into the middle of the Bismarck BB and literally killed it, one single torpedo took out 69,200 HP from Bismarck BB, is this mean to happen, the Bismarck BB was literally trying to turn. Is this meant to happen?

worldofwarships 2017-10-04 19-39-13-60.jpg

If a torp a single torp hits near a turret then boom magazine goes bang says in the loading screen.

Any dd can do exactly the same to a full hp bb with 1 torp.

Alpha Tester
260 posts
2,729 battles

Definitely think it was a detonation. I have destroyed a Bismark and FDG with detonations from CV torp planes, it seems to be a problem with their turrets.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles

"Please reproduce the issue and send more screenshots. Have a good day. "

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,803 posts
15,265 battles

Happy days are here again

The skies above are clear again

Let us sing a song of cheer again,

Happy Days are here again!!

(EVERYBODY SING ALONG!!)

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles
3 hours ago, Umikami said:

Happy days are here again

The skies above are clear again

Let us sing a song of cheer again,

Happy Days are here again!!

(EVERYBODY SING ALONG!!)

La la la la ... la la la la..

and repeat...

I feel better

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles

Fun and Engaging.
A phrase indicating the earning of the Detonation Achievement.
Entry tagged. Categorized. Recorded.

Haruna-portrait.png

Edited by AirshipCanon
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
1,082 posts
7,318 battles

I've been getting a lot more detonations lately than I ever have before.  23 in two years, then 4 in the past week.  Go figure.  I've been seeing them more in matches it feels like as well.  Hope it's not a trend.  

Beta Testers
1,195 posts
6,168 battles
2 hours ago, admiral_noone said:

Are British magazines more explodey than burney? 

Actually, yeah, I'm sure those more knowledgeable than I am on this could elaborate but in general, they had really archaic and unsafe powder and magazine storage. 

Members
280 posts
724 battles

The above clip is cold seawater hitting the hot boilers by pouring down the funnel.  Incompressability of water (now blocking the funnel) causes the side of the ship to blow out from the steam exploding.  There is a (small) secondary detonation a few seconds later that is probably a secondary msgazine.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,139 posts
14,547 battles

It's a Detonation, OP.  If anything, torpedoes are really the only way BBs in this game detonate.  It's not by shellfire.

I still remember a division mate in his full HP Montana getting detonated by a single Gearing torpedo.

[YORHA]
Members
3,338 posts

The GZ with deep water torpedos will finish the job that began with the Conqueror... which is to ruin the game.

Mark it down.  You heard it here first.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,132 posts
7,655 battles
4 hours ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

Actually, yeah, I'm sure those more knowledgeable than I am on this could elaborate but in general, they had really archaic and unsafe powder and magazine storage. 

Their storage practices were unsafe circa WWI, where rate of fire was the order of the day and fear of running short of ammunition meant that safety features were undermined.  Blast doors were left open, extra powder charges were being actively stored outside of the magazine, etc.  This gave them a better rate of fire but largely turned the entire gun complexes into literal powder kegs.  In game play terms, this would mean that even getting hit in the barbettes could potentially set off a detonation.

The second piece of the puzzle was the cordite charge that the Royal Navy was using.  It provided improved muzzle velocity at the expense of being much more volatile and prone to igniting from outside heat sources.  This meant that deflagrations were more likely to occur from minor damage.

Members
616 posts
3,507 battles
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Their storage practices were unsafe circa WWI, where rate of fire was the order of the day and fear of running short of ammunition meant that safety features were undermined.  Blast doors were left open, extra powder charges were being actively stored outside of the magazine, etc.  This gave them a better rate of fire but largely turned the entire gun complexes into literal powder kegs.  In game play terms, this would mean that even getting hit in the barbettes could potentially set off a detonation.

The second piece of the puzzle was the cordite charge that the Royal Navy was using.  It provided improved muzzle velocity at the expense of being much more volatile and prone to igniting from outside heat sources.  This meant that deflagrations were more likely to occur from minor damage.

Like what happened to Indefatigable, Queen Mary, and Invincible.