Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Greenday4537

So Lost with Baltimore

15 comments in this topic

Members
341 posts
1,906 battles

Honestly, I'm so hit or miss with this ship. I feel like dodging torps is absurdly hard in it. It's HE seems pretty ineffective. Destroying DDs is actually tough despite having decent radar.

Pretty much the only two things it seems good at are using AP against broadside cruisers and battleships and AA. I've wrecked T10 battleships that have ignored me but if you get focused at all, you are pretty screwed. And the AA with defensive AA consumable has made entire plane squadrons disappear in an instant.

But yea, I can't seem to get consistent games with it.

Beta Testers
1,792 posts
7,896 battles

Baltimore is absolutely lovely ship to play.

If you remember how you played Cleveland, that's how you want to play it. Islands are your best friend, don't push too hard alone, however given the opportunity, you can brawl very well. 

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,048 posts
9,357 battles

Baltimore is by far the hardest T9 CA to play... you don't have the range, you don't have torps, and its just as squishy as other CAs.   I think this ship works very well in a division, go DD hunting.  Playing alone, its been a struggle for me too.

[ARP]
Members
994 posts
6,153 battles

The baltimore has the best concealment range, radar and a high DPM for a reason.
Go find islands to hug to spam at ppl or position yourself with island cover to limit the amount of ships that can shoot you. 
I recently started my baltimore grind and it's been going pretty smoothly.

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,303 battles

I'm nearly through the Baltimore grind, and I feel like the experience has taught me to be an introvert.

As you say, the Balti is an exercise in mediocrity: good at nothing, and rarely a threat to anyone. The armour is decent but irrelevant against battleships, the gun range is rarely sufficient to consistently dodge shells given her size, the concealment is good but now seriously challenged by some british battleships you will be facing, the maneuverability is ok, but not good enough, and the heal is purely symbolic. In terms of attack, your radar is great but usually not enough to finish the job, you don't have torpedoes, your HE is a mild annoyance to BBs, and the only people you can kill quickly are the kind of bone headed broadside CA captains that barely warrant turning the turrets around.

Ironically, this lack of strengths is itself the Balti's greatest strength.

Because everyone knows that you aren't a big deal, they usually don't bother shooting at you until there is nothing else left. And as long as you don't go out of your way to make yourself a target, there will always be something else more important than you for them to shoot at. At any moment the enemy team could randomly decide to focus you, and you will be squashed, and there is little you can do about it. The key to survival then is to never be prominent enough to be worth squashing.

Never go around alone, because you are a beta male who doesn't get to make his own decisions. Instead, follow around more important ships who the enemy is likely to target before you. Never be the person closest to the enemy; your place is at the back of the group. Don't show a complete broadside; you're not pretty enough to be showing off. Try not to be spotted for long; nobody wants to see you anyway.

This is the key to understanding the Baltimore: you are at the bottom of the high school food chain, and any attempt to rise to the top will end with you getting smacked down.

Instead, you do damage over time; attrition. Always be a problem for enemy players, just never the number one problem. Until the extreme late stages of the game you should never be in a position to do serious damage to the enemy, because that would make you an important problem for them. Instead, just hang around and tickle them for the entire match. You won't see massive damage numbers, you will never have your replays featured on Youtube, but you will do consistent damage and slowly rank up your win rate.

It is amazing how blind people can get if you just let them. I had a game today in which I was stationary, broadside to 5 enemy ships, including 3 battleships, at 13-15km for nearly five minutes without any of them ever firing a shell at me, because they were all far too focused on the two battleships and one destroyer that were five kilometers in front of me, furiously angling and dodging and smoking to stay alive. I did a respectable 40k damage: nothing special, but good given that I didn't take a shot in return.

In the end, you are working to make your battles as boring and uneventful as possible. If you are having a fun and exciting battles, you are probably doing something wrong. You say you hate boring games, and want to have fun in WoWs? Well, all I can say is that we tried to warn you at the Pensacola.

Edited by senseNOTmade
  • Cool 2

Members
341 posts
1,906 battles
18 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

You say you hate boring games, and want to have fun in WoWs? Well, all I can say is that we tried to warn you at the Pensacola.

The Pensacola was a lot of fun.

[O_O]
Members
4,408 posts
9,539 battles

I liked Pensacola.  I liked New Orleans.  But, I have been struggling with Baltimore, too.  I have the hull upgrade and just got the range upgrade, so hopefully I will figure out how to make the ship work.  If I show a hint of a broadside (which is often unavoidable) I am either smashed for 4/5 of my health or am just freakin' deleted.  This seems to be the squishiest ship, yet.  I played all of the previous US cruisers by cranking the rudder constantly, but I am starting to think I just need to bow camp with Baltimore and hope for the best.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

At times Baltimore feels bad, but at times, she feels great. 

I am in the Baltimore grind myself, having gotten her fully upgraded and am now going down the line to DM.

She is squishy, but also not. She has very hard hitting AP and good pen angles. I nuked a Chappy in two salvoes while he was turning away and angling.

Baltimore trains you for DM, but also teaches you moderation with cruisers. Don't get greedy, be patient, hug islands, and sling those shells down range!

Fair winds and following seas captain! :Smile_honoring:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles

IMO, the Tier VIII+ Tech Tree USN Cruisers are to be played differently from everything before.  I struggled with Baltimore.  I even struggled with Des Moines.  It took a long time until I realized something.

The more I tried to play High Tier USN Cruisers like DPM machines, the more I get rekt.  The more I leveraged stealth, Radar, Hydro, AA, the more I affected the match to try and get the win.

First thing's first.

Baltimore's upgraded guns.  The AP is super powerful, especially against a Cruiser.  Catch a BB at the right angles, especially short range, the BB will pay dearly before you go down.  The problem with Baltimore's guns, and you will see the same thing with Des Moines, is how much the shells float.  Hitting things at range is a big problem, even if you adopt MBM3 and bring the reload down to 8.8 seconds.  Trying to hit a DD at over 11km becomes more and more problematic.  I remember the frustration I had when my Baltimore was 1-vs-1 against a Tier VII Leningrad.  The RU DD stayed at its max range, speeding around and nailing me consistently.  Baltimore's shells float too much to hit something so small, so fast, so agile.  I tried to run away and reconceal, but Leningrad simply closed in to keep me spotted, keep pelting me, and quickly dodged back if I try to bring my guns to swat it.

Those floaty shells are the reason why Baltimore's Damage Average in the servers are so low.  So low that Tier VII Cruisers do as much damage as Tier IX Baltimore, despite Baltimore accessing SHS (Super Heavy Shells for AP) when upgraded.

Now, if you can get into a knife fight, with MBM3, Adrenaline Rush, Baltimore gets mean, vicious.  But past 11km, NO.

Use islands if you want to leverage gun use.  Those floaty shells will work to your benefit as you can fire over low islands, while ships with high velocity, low shell arcs cannot get to you.  This is the only way Baltimore can go hardcore with gun use and not get deleted.  You try to play like an IJN, German, French Cruiser slinging shells in open water, you'll struggle to connect hits and eventually those BBs will connect and obliterate you.

Use your stealth.  READ THE MINIMAP.  Understand what is going on.  Look for ways where Baltimore can get into position to help the team win.

- Is the team having a problem with DDs, smoked ships at a spot on the map?  Maybe you can sneak Baltimore in to pop radar and ruin their day.

- Maybe you can help the DDs in their cap attempt?  If there's an island near the cap, you could sneak up right to it.  Depending on the map, you may be close enough to cover the cap with Radar, making the DD's job MUCH more easy in dealing with enemy DDs trying to get into the cap.  Baltimore also has good AA, and if you specced for AA, you being near the DD gives them tremendous peace of mind if there are CVs in the match.  DDs are super vulnerable to CV attacks, and an AA Cruiser nearby makes the survival of these highly valuable ships a more realistic prospect.  Remember, teams that lose their DDs first face an uphill battle to win.

Etc, etc, etc.

Speaking of islands, Baltimore is very good in that kind of fighting.  Most especially so if you drop Defensive Fire and slot Hydro.  You then have a brawling Cruiser with long lasting US radar and Hydro to back it up.  Baltimore in that circumstance is very dangerous and knows what's going on in its neighborhood of islands.

Really, if you try to play the DPM game with High Tier USN Cruisers, you're only going to get rekt.  Every other Cruiser Line is a better DPM Cruiser Line than USN Cruisers at Tier VIII+.  But none of the Cruiser lines have the utility of USN Cruisers in these tiers.  You don't win with Damage dealt.  You win by affecting the match.

The last bit of evidence of that?

O5NVCTU.jpg

Baltimore maintains a respectable 50% Win Rate despite doing only 38k damage average.

Get used to it with Baltimore.  DM is the same way, the difference is DM is a squishier ship and she shoots faster.

Once I accepted the mantra of "Team Utility" with Baltimore and Des Moines over DPM, my stats picked up with them.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[DD214]
Members
757 posts

Check out Flamu's videos on the Des Moines and watch them in order. The DM is a buffed Balt and both ships are deadly in the right setting--up close and hot with proper positioning and angles. The ships have more team value than the DMG suggests, because they can deny caps, clear skills and kill dds and lazy capts quick. If you want to shot stuff and rack up dmg and witherers, then n grid the French and run the Henri IV.

Members
566 posts
1,889 battles
On 10/6/2017 at 4:30 PM, senseNOTmade said:

I'm nearly through the Baltimore grind, and I feel like the experience has taught me to be an introvert.

As you say, the Balti is an exercise in mediocrity: good at nothing, and rarely a threat to anyone. The armour is decent but irrelevant against battleships, the gun range is rarely sufficient to consistently dodge shells given her size, the concealment is good but now seriously challenged by some british battleships you will be facing, the maneuverability is ok, but not good enough, and the heal is purely symbolic. In terms of attack, your radar is great but usually not enough to finish the job, you don't have torpedoes, your HE is a mild annoyance to BBs, and the only people you can kill quickly are the kind of bone headed broadside CA captains that barely warrant turning the turrets around.

Ironically, this lack of strengths is itself the Balti's greatest strength.

Because everyone knows that you aren't a big deal, they usually don't bother shooting at you until there is nothing else left. And as long as you don't go out of your way to make yourself a target, there will always be something else more important than you for them to shoot at. At any moment the enemy team could randomly decide to focus you, and you will be squashed, and there is little you can do about it. The key to survival then is to never be prominent enough to be worth squashing.

Never go around alone, because you are a beta male who doesn't get to make his own decisions. Instead, follow around more important ships who the enemy is likely to target before you. Never be the person closest to the enemy; your place is at the back of the group. Don't show a complete broadside; you're not pretty enough to be showing off. Try not to be spotted for long; nobody wants to see you anyway.

This is the key to understanding the Baltimore: you are at the bottom of the high school food chain, and any attempt to rise to the top will end with you getting smacked down.

Instead, you do damage over time; attrition. Always be a problem for enemy players, just never the number one problem. Until the extreme late stages of the game you should never be in a position to do serious damage to the enemy, because that would make you an important problem for them. Instead, just hang around and tickle them for the entire match. You won't see massive damage numbers, you will never have your replays featured on Youtube, but you will do consistent damage and slowly rank up your win rate.

It is amazing how blind people can get if you just let them. I had a game today in which I was stationary, broadside to 5 enemy ships, including 3 battleships, at 13-15km for nearly five minutes without any of them ever firing a shell at me, because they were all far too focused on the two battleships and one destroyer that were five kilometers in front of me, furiously angling and dodging and smoking to stay alive. I did a respectable 40k damage: nothing special, but good given that I didn't take a shot in return.

In the end, you are working to make your battles as boring and uneventful as possible. If you are having a fun and exciting battles, you are probably doing something wrong. You say you hate boring games, and want to have fun in WoWs? Well, all I can say is that we tried to warn you at the Pensacola.

Read commentary thought you very articulate and funny. Beta male had me laughing.you are not pretty enough to be showing off, hilarious, and very well said. 

Sign in to follow this