Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

What would Warships Total War be like?

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

620
[HEROS]
Members
1,426 posts
11,973 battles

There's a surprisitng number of Total War players hang out in this game.   Or maybe not so surprising?  I had this insane wild and crazy thought.. what if the dev team started work on a  Total War style warships type clan game.  PvP for the tactical battles.   Go look at Shogun-II Total War multiplayer.  Right, that was me thought.

 

  It's fleet week here in the bay area and I just got buzzed by 5 bright navy blue with gold trim F-18's.. Gonna be a lot of military air , civil stunters and war birds buzzing about for the week end... And.. yep,  that was a Turcano just went over at about 500 ft.  yea lotta distractions today!

 

 

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,322
[-K-]
Supertester
5,153 posts
8,946 battles

IMO, FotS got naval battles close to perfect considering the scope and intent of the game. Ability to choose ammo types, special consumables, and the ability to manually fire broadsides while still controlling an entire fleet. 

 

Shogun 2 and FotS are two of my favorite games to date. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
620
[HEROS]
Members
1,426 posts
11,973 battles

I hear ya!  The idea of taking the concept of a Total War type territorial war (or sea area control in this case) along with a modicum of resource management.  And let clans go at it.  Shogun-II multiplay does a real good job of getting the general idea across.  (and yea I get [edited]kicked... there are some VERY good players out there)  

 

My own concept of the thought would be Clans would start with a home base, with at the minimum of 3 un-owned sea area between them and the nearest player clan..  Initial the sea area's would be AI controled.. (arrr!  Pirates, salty sea dogs.. Bots from hell!)  And.. just to keep things frosty.. of 7 player clan teams.. right.. 12 ship AI teams...  that should separate the wheat from the chaff rather quickly..  Victory conditions are simple... Control more sea area's then any other clan by the end of the season.     It's really only the beginning of an idea.. 

 

Nuff dreaming for today... back to Warships!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,459
[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

I would be more interested commanding fleets against the AI using the assets in this game.  One of the things that just kills my passion for ships in WoWs is that there's no historical scenarios, or even alternate history scenarios.  It's always just a random platypus fleet against another random platypus fleet.  If I could command a fleet of American Battleships, send it against a Japanese fleet, then hotdamn would that be a lot of fun, even against bots.

It was commanding a nation's fleet / army that kept me coming back to Total War for years.  The Shogun 2 Multiplayer map was kind of interested, but the matches lost connection (and thus auto-ended) so many times that I stopped bothering with it.

 

kRa2jox.jpg

PzyQWEj.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,784
[WOLF3]
Members
16,048 posts
14,440 battles

A WWII Naval Total War would be funny.

 

The Allies pool resources and share a lot of technology.

The Axis can't.

The United States Navy starts off with a YOOOOOOOGE bank and maintains a MASSSIVELY YOOOGE budget per turn, as well as MONSTROUS SUPPLIES OF FUEL AND AMMO, PILOTS, CREWMEN.  The US gets to have super extensive shipyards to build whatever your heart's desire for the Navy to fight across the globe as well as the logistics to let the fleets be out there, even repair them far away from home or Pearl Harbor (see Ulithi Atoll).  The massive budget, resource pool of the United States Navy lets it research everything at the same time, even toss in extra resources to accelerate said research.  The massive budget allows the US Navy to build whatever it wants.  When other Navies are scraping coins to maintain their old, prewar ships, the United States Navy is building tons of destroyers, cruisers, battleships, carriers AT THE SAME TIME.  It's already obvious that the Carrier became the decisive instrument of the war, especially when the US Navy advances quickly their carrier doctrine.  But the massive budget lets the US Navy say, "Well, we got Carriers already, it's as good as it gets, but we'll build some Battleships also for the lulz and nobody else can."

 

The US maintains such a large budget, industry, and an excess of planes and ships that she maintains a unique capability to gift these weapons to Allies.  Their ships can come into American ports for repairs, replenishment at low cost, and while at it, refits in American ports gets them buffs to their stats.

 

Meanwhile the Kriegsmarine player is struggling to do anything with a budget barely over zero as Germany's resources are poured into the more critical fighting on land and the massive air war the Luftwaffe is trapped in.  Your subs are really cool for an early impact but you have very few surface game pieces that you cannot afford to lose and cannot replace.

 

The Imperial Japanese player has a powerful, starting navy but a look at the poor budget means any losses incurred are lasting.  I mean, you barely have the money to build extra DDs!  You have a trickle of replacement pilots, so once your elite naval aviators die, you won't have enough replacements and their quality is nothing at all like what you had before the war.  You have some great ships, your BBs stand with the best in the world, your carriers are among the best in the world.  Your naval aircraft are superb.  It's just you can barely replace anything, fuel is scarce no matter what.  Your budget is so low that you have to prioritize:  Put resources into replacing ships, or put resources into research.  You don't have the money to do both, and with the money you have, you won't be able to do much for either.

 

The United States Navy, in Total War Game Terms, will easily be fielding every ship with the best technology, Gold Attack Upgrades, Gold Defense Upgrades.  The logistics are so great that the US Navy suffers zero attrition for ships posted far away from home.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,459
[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
23 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A WWII Naval Total War would be funny.

 

The Allies pool resources and share a lot of technology.

The Axis can't.

The United States Navy starts off with a YOOOOOOOGE bank and maintains a MASSSIVELY YOOOGE budget per turn, as well as MONSTROUS SUPPLIES OF FUEL AND AMMO, PILOTS, CREWMEN.  The US gets to have super extensive shipyards to build whatever your heart's desire for the Navy to fight across the globe as well as the logistics to let the fleets be out there, even repair them far away from home or Pearl Harbor (see Ulithi Atoll).  The massive budget, resource pool of the United States Navy lets it research everything at the same time, even toss in extra resources to accelerate said research.  The massive budget allows the US Navy to build whatever it wants.  When other Navies are scraping coins to maintain their old, prewar ships, the United States Navy is building tons of destroyers, cruisers, battleships, carriers AT THE SAME TIME.  It's already obvious that the Carrier became the decisive instrument of the war, especially when the US Navy advances quickly their carrier doctrine.  But the massive budget lets the US Navy say, "Well, we got Carriers already, it's as good as it gets, but we'll build some Battleships also for the lulz and nobody else can."

 

The US maintains such a large budget, industry, and an excess of planes and ships that she maintains a unique capability to gift these weapons to Allies.  Their ships can come into American ports for repairs, replenishment at low cost, and while at it, refits in American ports gets them buffs to their stats.

 

Meanwhile the Kriegsmarine player is struggling to do anything with a budget barely over zero as Germany's resources are poured into the more critical fighting on land and the massive air war the Luftwaffe is trapped in.  Your subs are really cool for an early impact but you have very few surface game pieces that you cannot afford to lose and cannot replace.

 

The Imperial Japanese player has a powerful, starting navy but a look at the poor budget means any losses incurred are lasting.  I mean, you barely have the money to build extra DDs!  You have a trickle of replacement pilots, so once your elite naval aviators die, you won't have enough replacements and their quality is nothing at all like what you had before the war.  You have some great ships, your BBs stand with the best in the world, your carriers are among the best in the world.  Your naval aircraft are superb.  It's just you can barely replace anything, fuel is scarce no matter what.  Your budget is so low that you have to prioritize:  Put resources into replacing ships, or put resources into research.  You don't have the money to do both, and with the money you have, you won't be able to do much for either.

 

The United States Navy, in Total War Game Terms, will easily be fielding every ship with the best technology, Gold Attack Upgrades, Gold Defense Upgrades.  The logistics are so great that the US Navy suffers zero attrition for ships posted far away from home.

It depends what year it is.  While having a powerful navy, the Great Depression, the isolationist policy, civilian economy and FDR slashing the military budget in half did a real number on the US's military strengthen, such to the point I was able to roll them over as France in Hearts of Iron 4.  The US has the most potential, but it starts off as a 3rd rate power.  Many players have been able to knock out the US as Mexico during the years leading up to WWII.  The biggest obstacle as France for invading the US was the navy, as France's 5 Battleships, a Dunkerque and 1 CV required heavy bomber cover once the fleets began to engage the US's 3 CVs and 4 Batlteships guarding the east coast.

 

DQJoVum.jpg

tlJJqK6.jpg

Edited by Sventex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,784
[WOLF3]
Members
16,048 posts
14,440 battles
17 minutes ago, Sventex said:

It depends what year it is.  While having a powerful navy, the Great Depression, the isolationist policy, civilian economy and FDR slashing the military budget in half did a real number on the US's military strengthen, such to the point I was able to roll them over as France in Hearts of Iron 4.  The US has the most potential, but it starts off as a 3rd rate power.  Many players have been able to knock out the US as Mexico during the years leading up to WWII.  The biggest obstacle as France for invading the US was the navy, as France's 5 Battleships, a Dunkerque and 1 CV required heavy bomber cover once the fleets began to engage the US's 3 CVs and 4 Batlteships guarding the east coast.

 

DQJoVum.jpg

tlJJqK6.jpg

 

A tweak to that for the US in Total War Terms?  The US starts off very modest.  But in the tech tree is a very obvious choice:

 

GEARING UP FOR WAR!  RESEARCH ME FIRST! - This results in massive gains to per turn budget, sharp increase to naval spending, costs driven down for the construction of ships and aircraft, and enables the ability to gift ships, planes to Allies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,459
[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
9 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

 

A tweak to that for the US in Total War Terms?  The US starts off very modest.  But in the tech tree is a very obvious choice:

 

GEARING UP FOR WAR!  RESEARCH ME FIRST! - This results in massive gains to per turn budget, sharp increase to naval spending, costs driven down for the construction of ships and aircraft, and enables the ability to gift ships, planes to Allies!

That is in essence, what the national focus tree for the US in Hearts of Iron 4 is all about.  In 1936, the US starts out with a horrible mess, with the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl Famine.  Military Production is tied to world tension. The sooner war breaks out, the sooner it can get it's industry going, but if the World War takes awhile to get going, the US could end up taking a long time fixing it's own problems.  Sleeping giant with a powerful navy sums them up best.

wC3jVJL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×