Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ddoubletapp1

Tell Me Again How Useless The Special Modules Are?

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Ok - I will absolutely acknowledge - a couple of the special modules are pretty mediocre.  There seems to be a better than average chance of receiving the Spotting Airplane Mod 1, than any of the others (which isn't all that useful to me, as I can't seem to make that perspective work - though I undoubtedly just need more practice!). 

However the Engine Boost Mod 1, Hydroacoustic Search Mod 1, and Engine Boost Mod 1 - when used on the right ship - make sorting through the chaff more than worthwhile.

Des Moines in particular, can take full advantage of the SR Mod 1 - as she does in this clip - running her damage-done from 28K to 182K in about 40 seconds.

Quick question - in that final slugfest with the FDG - would I have been more effective firing the AP at her waterline?  I was trying to put them above her belt, but ended up hitting her super structure, more often than not. 

Had it been a USN/IJN BB, it would have been a no-brainer - but I wondered if that angled turtle-back might have produced more deflections than not?

TIA!  And enjoy the clip.

 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
233
[TBOW]
Members
1,253 posts
10,700 battles

As far as firing AP, I always fire at or just below the deck line, where you might find the sweet spot for the Citadel hits from a BB perspective.  I would think the DMs HE would be a total barn burner and burn the FDG to the ground.  But that is my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102
[BIAS]
Alpha Tester
314 posts
9,512 battles
8 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

ROFL @ all the cruisers sitting there.  Like cockroaches.  Squash em all!!!

 

As soon as I saw the OP's name, I knew what the video was without even watching it. :s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,322
[-K-]
Supertester
5,153 posts
8,946 battles
26 minutes ago, gcangel82 said:

As far as firing AP, I always fire at or just below the deck line, where you might find the sweet spot for the Citadel hits from a BB perspective.  I would think the DMs HE would be a total barn burner and burn the FDG to the ground.  But that is my opinion.

 

Not when you can rack up 6k salvos with AP. USN cruisers have excellent pen angles. Superstructure is a safe bet assuming it's not already saturated. If the ship starts angling enough, then the upper belt will start bouncing your shot. Fortunately, the DM has the RoF to poke around and find pay dirt. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,340
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,840 posts
9,586 battles

Your criticism is laughably out of date. The modules used to mostly be useless because of the equipment slots they occupied. That was changed months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I've never heard anyone say that the Engine Boost Mod was ever bad.

 

Its like the top that everyone recommended.

 

I've got like 3 or 4.

Edited by Wulfgarn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,587
[PSP]
Members
6,291 posts
8,915 battles

I've gotten three of the smoke modules and have sold them all. In the US DDs, I think smoke duration far outweighs a potentially larger smoke area, especially since mine is already larger via the commander skill. In the IJN DDs, any less time of the already ephemeral smoke would make it nearly worthless. With the Leander, I've also taken the commander skill to enlarge the smoke and this enables me to maneuver a bit in it to avoid torpedoes while still having a screen that lasts well over a minute. I really can't see any scenario where a larger smoke screen with less duration would be of any benefit.   

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
474 posts
8,544 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I've gotten three of the smoke modules and have sold them all. In the US DDs, I think smoke duration far outweighs a potentially larger smoke area, especially since mine is already larger vis the commander skill. In the IJN DDs, any less time of the already ephemeral smoke would make it nearly worthless. With the Leander, I've also taken the commander skill to enlarge the smoke and this enables me to maneuver a bit in it to avoid torpedoes while still having a screen that lasts well over a minute. I really can't see any scenario where a larger smoke screen with less duration would be of any benefit.   

There is a post that explains the math and proves your time of smoke is actually LONGER in every ship save a few smoke ships (aka the entire british CA line)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,198
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,810 posts
10,336 battles

If you could come back with one where you do 100k in 40s using the Spotting Aircraft Mod. 1 or the Damage Control Party Mod. 1 I'd be even more impressed.

 

I am very impressed with this though, I'd have been like a dog chasing 2 balls and getting neither in the face of that opportunity...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
1 hour ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

ROFL @ all the cruisers sitting there.  Like cockroaches.  Squash em all!!!

I will be the first to admit - this is a scenario that never happens for me.  Gotta make hay while the sun shines...

1 hour ago, Dianeces said:

 

As soon as I saw the OP's name, I knew what the video was without even watching it. :s

I like to think I'm comfortably predictable?

1 hour ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

 

Not when you can rack up 6k salvos with AP. USN cruisers have excellent pen angles. Superstructure is a safe bet assuming it's not already saturated. If the ship starts angling enough, then the upper belt will start bouncing your shot. Fortunately, the DM has the RoF to poke around and find pay dirt. 

Agreed - I should have tried a salvo or two on the turn-of-hull - too frantic with the L mouse button - ha ha!

1 hour ago, Drago_Ryder said:

The hydro module is a good one for the German lines.

Currently running one on the Z46 - it is a real upgrade.  Have one waiting for the Hindy, when I get there.

57 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Your criticism is laughably out of date. The modules used to mostly be useless because of the equipment slots they occupied. That was changed months ago.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.  I am a big proponent of the special mods - so much more useful (to me) than 100 det flags, or 5K FXP.  I will take them in SC all the live-long day!

15 minutes ago, mofton said:

If you could come back with one where you do 100k in 40s using the Spotting Aircraft Mod. 1 or the Damage Control Party Mod. 1 I'd be even more impressed.

 

I am very impressed with this though, I'd have been like a dog chasing 2 balls and getting neither in the face of that opportunity...

That would be something - ha ha!  The three special mods I mentioned are the ones I always hope for (SR, HA and SB) - though I do run the DF module on a boat or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31
[XBRTC]
Members
148 posts
7,442 battles
47 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I've gotten three of the smoke modules and have sold them all. In the US DDs, I think smoke duration far outweighs a potentially larger smoke area, especially since mine is already larger via the commander skill. In the IJN DDs, any less time of the already ephemeral smoke would make it nearly worthless. With the Leander, I've also taken the commander skill to enlarge the smoke and this enables me to maneuver a bit in it to avoid torpedoes while still having a screen that lasts well over a minute. I really can't see any scenario where a larger smoke screen with less duration would be of any benefit.   

 

37 minutes ago, Valdez_Raptor said:

There is a post that explains the math and proves your time of smoke is actually LONGER in every ship save a few smoke ships (aka the entire british CA line)


Think about when you're laying smoke for your teammates, rather than to hide yourself. In a US DD, it's a great boon, as I can lay a linear smoke screen that is absolutely ridiculous in length when I combine the engine boost, speed flag, enlarged smoke screen, and smoke generator action time on a Fletcher or Gearing. Friendlies get a nice break to line of sight and can go nuts, and if you do your job as a DD and scout, they'll still have eyes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
408
[WOLFB]
Members
1,730 posts
8,274 battles

It's not like they were even trying to angle once you were spotted. Well good job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
224
[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,059 posts
9,376 battles

Wow CA dream come true!  I like the smoke with British CA and Perth, that larger area is nice, their smoke is small.   I am not a proponent of the special mods, they seem to sacrifice too much on most ships to warrent install, but on some as  have been mentioned, they are bueno!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
2 hours ago, Greenday4537 said:

99% sure the majority of that damage came because of morons for opponents, not special modules.

They were not expecting that, for sure.  In smoke, during a typhoon - I think they were feeling pretty safe. 

The SR Mod 1 gave me - what - 3 more salvos before going into cool-down?  That let me knock a pretty big chunk off that last DM - as well as lighting it up for friendlies.  That special module is nothing to turn one's nose up at - its far and away a better choice than the traditional DC, Propulsion or rudder mods!

1 hour ago, KnightFandragon said:

Is the guy saying "The enemy is about to win" that Steven Seagal actor guy?  That sounds just plain depressing....

He is.  Got him in some event or other.  He mailed in his voice work - but his "special abilities" spin the turrets faster and allow me to switch shell types in the DM in one second.  Pretty handy guy, all round!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
104 posts
7,928 battles
4 hours ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

ROFL @ all the cruisers sitting there.  Like cockroaches.  Squash em all!!!

 

I wonder who's [edited]he had to kiss for mm to give him players like that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
5 minutes ago, Xantek said:

 

I wonder who's [edited]he had to kiss for mm to give him players like that....

However - the end result was I got killed, and we lost the game.  Those cruisers I caught in smoke did the lion's share of their team's damage.  They just weren't expecting that - and the DM's dps didn't give them much chance to do anything about it.

Could have happened to you, could have happened to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
104 posts
7,928 battles
1 minute ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

However - the end result was I got killed, and we lost the game.  Those cruisers I caught in smoke did the lion's share of their team's damage.  They just weren't expecting that - and the DM's dps didn't give them much chance to do anything about it.

Could have happened to you, could have happened to me...

 

I was joking. I'm just saying that it's very rare for me to catch sitting ducks like that. That was a nice jackpot for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
1 minute ago, Xantek said:

 

I was joking. I'm just saying that it's very rare for me to catch sitting ducks like that. That was a nice jackpot for you.

Roger that - sorry - there were a few posts disparaging those cruiser players, and the fact was - other than getting caught flat-footed in the smoke, they had turned in a pretty sound performance - I apologise for jumping to conclusions (I am Canadian, after all!).

It was one in a million (or at least one in 5082!), for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×