You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
bguthery

Really want to try Japanese DD's

17 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles

However, I have been hearing they SUCK now, I plan to mainly play at tier 10 with them. I heard that hitting torps is to hard and they they are outclassed by everyone other T10 DD. How true is that? 

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
724 posts
11,937 battles

In my opinion, any ship that relies on torpedoes as the main source of damage has a significant additional layer of luck on top of RNG. I believe that experience can, over time, mitigate this. But it cannot be removed. When one considers that at Tier X there will be (generally) better and more experienced players, large numbers of ships with radar (edit to add: also a lot of hydro, particularly German hydro, which is the end of pretty much any hope of landing a torpedo strike), and that every other Tier X DD can outgun the Shimakaze, I think it is fair to say that the IJN line is very difficult to do well in. Speaking for myself, this makes a good or even great game in the Shimakaze that much more special. But in my opinion there are a lot of mediocre and even some downright terrible games in the future of any player determined to play the Shimakaze.

If you like torpedoes and the challenge they represent, I believe it can be worthwhile. It was for me. But if you are more of a "guns-first" player, the IJN line may not be for you.

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,083 posts
8,964 battles

Yes, getting hits can be difficult but trust me no one lives when you do it.   Hitting torps with any DD in Tier 10 can be hard.

Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles

I am just in the middle of deciding if I wanna do the French cruiser line or maybe do Japanese DD's I like that challenge in the Japanese DD's have with trying to never get spotted and torping but some games it can be aggravating lol

Do any of you main Japanese DD?

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
724 posts
11,937 battles
9 minutes ago, bguthery said:

I am just in the middle of deciding if I wanna do the French cruiser line or maybe do Japanese DD's I like that challenge in the Japanese DD's have with trying to never get spotted and torping but some games it can be aggravating lol

As of today, I have 2490 games in IJN DDs. My thoughts on the original post are above.

Respects,

Am

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I main in DDs, and I have three lines open to T10.

The only IJN DD that I run is the premium Kamikaze R. I couldn't tell you the last time I ran anything on the line other than that.

If the stars aline and WG allows for more reward for spotting, IJN will be more viable. The same with lowering torp spotting range.

The best thing to do is start running up the line, and seeing for yourself. You'll find out that's it's hard to have money for food in the fridge if you main them.

At higher Tier, it's not worth 1 big payday per 10 battles.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,247 battles

I play a lot of IJN DD's, and would be the first to tell you they have become increasingly more difficult to play each patch. With IJN DD's it's all about the stealth (Akizuki falls outside the parameters of this discussion so just say it's way different) and getting torp hits. By not being seen you increase your chances of red ships not seeing your torps coming.

[CVA16]
Members
2,292 posts
9,862 battles

For those of us that mained IJN DDs from many nerfs ago, we know how difficult it is now compared to the "good-old-days". We also have the experience and (19pt?) captains to help make it tolerable (sometimes) inspite of the nerfs. The player base has (mostly) learned the WASD hack so even that is different from the days when I started and learned to like IJN DDs. (ah the halcyon days of Umikaze getting torp hits on ships 10k out but closing in...) Seems like it would be a very tough line now for a newbie with a green captain. Very easy to have game where you "do not prove yourself".

Members
603 posts
7,095 battles

Well.....torp hit rate is not really consistent. I have game with 0 hit rate, and some with 40+% hit rate. High tier is even harder cos ships are faster, more hydro, spotting planes, vigilance, etc.

if you don't want to get "you haven't proven yourself", learn when to shoot in a IJN DD. Akatsuki, and yugumo are the better ships imo with good balance between torp, gun, and fire range.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,107 battles

Here's the thing, the line is still solid. Albeit I'm only up to Kagero. I had a match last night most of it, I was at 0 damage, I was struggling on torp hits (though I was taking shots at longer ranges than I prefer due to multiple radar ships, as well as more agile targets). Two captures, likely plenty of spotting, no damage.

And then near the end of the match a single torp volley destroyed a Moskva and 2 of the remaining 4 hit an enemy BB and flooded it to death, all of a sudden, 100k damage.

You learn how to get in close with that stealth, pick targets, aim and predict with more than just that aim line, IJN DD's are still the lethal BB killers they've always been and you do not want to be on the wrong side of one that truly knows what they are doing in one.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,725 posts
8,256 battles

IJN DD are weak compared to DD and way too much inconsistent.  The only DD where i can always have fun is the Akizuki. And Akizuki is not your average IJN DD.

Grinding the IJN DD line is honestly painful : Fubuki often face T8 (aka DD with 6 or below concealment) and her concealment is crap with 6.1 with CE , Akatsuki is fast but once again her concealment is crap and her torps are garbage....like really garbage. Kagerou is decent. She have good concealment and her torps are pretty effective when they hit. Only drawback is her CD on torps. Yuugumo is a better version of Kagerou and it's a really fun and good ship to play. Even her stock version is not that bad and compared to Kagerou, you lose 100m of concealment and you lose some manoeuvrability. But you are 0.5kts faster. With the torp module and commander perk, the CD on torps are ok. I don't often play this ship because of money but if have a premium account and like IJN DD, just go for it, it's a good ship.

If you grind the alternative line : Hatsuharu is ok. Her concealment allow her to have some freedom even against T8 , Shiratsuyu is crap. Personally I don't find any reason to play this ship in her current state so if you can afford to skip this ship just do it. Then you have Akizuki which is to me the only worthy ship to play in the IJN line if you're looking for constancy.

[FLEUR]
Members
29 posts
7,006 battles

Mostly agree with the comments in this thread. IJN DDs do have a difficult time due to the many ways you can counter torpedoes. However, I'd like to throw my hat in for Yugumo, which I think is actually a very consistent, high-performing ship so long as you know how to dodge and juke. Her guns occupy the 6~10km range of effectiveness due to her thin and low profile and the relatively flat and fast arcs of the IJN guns. With a good dodge/juke advantage over your opponent's aim, you can bully a Soviet DD that's using its guns as a CL. You can also push caps very easily so long as you can pre-angle - "bottoming out" your turn when attempting to disengage is where most of your incoming damage is going to happen, so you just minimize your time making that maneuver. As a result, I find myself reversing a lot into an engagement, especially at the beginning of matches.

I can't care for Shimakaze because it is a ship that is too dependent on the enemy making mistakes.

Members
643 posts
7,040 battles
On 10/6/2017 at 10:06 AM, bguthery said:

I main the IJN DD line with about 4000 games in solo random. I have about 430 games in the Shimakaze. 

If you like the play style and the sometimes extreme challenge, go for it. 

dark.png

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,247 battles
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:37 AM, Rufei said:

I'd like to throw my hat in for Yugumo, which I think is actually a very consistent, high-performing ship

Yugumo is a very good ship, with what are decent guns for an IJN DD, and torps that can actually hit something.

[FLEUR]
Members
29 posts
7,006 battles
3 hours ago, Umikami said:

Yugumo is a very good ship, with what are decent guns for an IJN DD, and torps that can actually hit something.

If only more of the line were like her. Most people can't stand the grind up to T9 before bailing for something with faster returns.

Members
139 posts
2,312 battles

In my Shima, there aren't many average games.  I find that I either have a horrible game with very little damage and not much experience, or I have a good game with over 100k damage.  It's kind of feast or famine.  This is because there's a lot of luck involved with a ship that mainly uses torpedoes.  If you get in a game with no carriers and little radar, your chances of having a good game go up, however, there's nothing you can really do about that ship that just happens to make a u-turn 1 second after you fire your torps.  Even idiots dodge them on occasion, and the skilled players dodge them a lot. If you can get into a game where the stars line up and the idiots are out in force with their battleships, you can easily get 100k - 200k damage because the torps hit so hard and cause so much flooding.  But, that's hard to do on a regular basis unlike many of the other ships at t10. 

Every other t10 DD has guns they can use.  The German and USN DDs have an amazing mix of guns and torps.  The Russian ships either have good guns and torps or amazing guns and health.  IJN T10 has amazing torps with "meh" guns.  So they're a bit one dimensional.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,247 battles
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:06 PM, Rufei said:

If only more of the line were like her. Most people can't stand the grind up to T9 before bailing for something with faster returns.

The other surprising IJN DD for me was Hatsuharu, which is astonishingly competitive at tier 6.