You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

My brilliant idea! Change Red to Mint Green.

19 comments in this topic

Members
4,535 posts
6,426 battles

I was reading an online article earlier today bout smartphones. They use red as an alert color. That color creates in the user a sense of anxiety and they feel compelled to answer/respond. That color is used deliberately by the manufacturers who researched this phenomena.  They want you addicted to that phone. Now I gots a brilliant theory. A common complaint here is about fearful players who hang back and will not join in the attack until it is too late, so change the color of enemy ships from Red (players feel threatened and anxious by a bunch of RED ships coming at them) to Mint Green.  Yes!  Mint Green is used in a lotta jails because that color seems to have a calming effect on prisoners hence if the enemy ships were Mint Green on the map in this here game many players would feel less threatened by them and ACTUALLY HANG WITH YA AND NOT STOP OR RUN!  Yes!  Think about it.  When ya see a Red light when driving ya stop...and some players see Red coming at em and they stop or run. I feel this is a great analogy. This idea came to me like a lightening bolt. Brilliant idea right?  Right? :Smile_smile:  Mint Green for enemy ships....yes.

O my.  Just looked at the time.  Time to take my meds! 

Comments?

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 3

Members
4,535 posts
6,426 battles
1 minute ago, khorender_1 said:

But the red ones go faster......

Ahem.....nice avatar. 

[LOU1]
Members
3,018 posts
8,124 battles

You also mentioned that red makes the viewer want to answer/respond.  That should make red the perfect color to incite action.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,771 posts
6,976 battles

Given the number of team kills from players mistaking team mates for the enemy, thinking green = it is ok to shoot, red = stop, don't shoot, I think you are on to a brilliant idea. Definitely one for Pigeon's dev thread.

Members
4,535 posts
6,426 battles
3 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

You also mentioned that red makes the viewer want to answer/respond.  That should make red the perfect color to incite action.

Hmmmm....well I have not thought this through completely. Idea may need some tweaking. :Smile_glasses:

Edited by dmckay

Members
1,559 posts
9,975 battles

We certainly want the players to feel calm while playing. We should take it one step further. Instead of fiery shells being fired at them we should replace them with marshmallows and candy canes. Losing can upset some players so let's change it so that all ships cannot sink and everyone wins every battle?  

• Cool 1

Members
4,535 posts
6,426 battles
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

We certainly want the players to feel calm while playing. We should take it one step further. Instead of fiery shells being fired at them we should replace them with marshmallows and candy canes. Losing can upset some players so let's change it so that all ships cannot sink and everyone wins every battle?  

Right!  Just reward players with a "participation medal" for playing the game....win or lose. This would stop much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth. :Smile_medal:

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,853 battles

You would think otherwise but red is a color that many people just don't seem notice. I bought a red truck after I got out of the Army. Someone told me to watch out as everyone was going to be running into it. I found this to be true. The first time someone ran into me I didn't see it but I went out one morning to find that someone had sideswiped my parked truck. A few months later, someone hooked the bumper and tore it off in the parking lot. Then, the car was sideswiped again. After that, I was driving in a parking lot on my way to get a pizza and d guy backed out right into me. Later, I was stopped at a light and someone ran into me from behind. When I asked the guy he said he didn't even see me. After I got that damage repaired, I was eating at a restaurant when a lady came up and asked me if that was my red truck. She had also backed out of a parking space right into the side of my parked truck. I have had my silver Tacoma for 11 years now and not a single person has run into me. People just run into red vehicles.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I would recommend changing to green, but for a different reason. The human eye can distinguish more shades of green than any other color. Many colorblind folks can't see red well, but just about everyone can see green very well.

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles
25 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Team Fortress 2 (TF2 on Steam), had a mod for the Pyro, when he wore certain glasses, he shot out unicorns and streamers (instead of fire), and enemies popped like balloons with streamers. The local environment was candy canes and marshmallows.

So just give them the "Pryo Glasses" and they can play in Candy Land, and the rest of us can fight it out where fires, destruction, and alarms are blaring. Everyone is happy!!!!

• Cool 2

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,437 posts
8,085 battles

The science of colours and their affect on the human mind is kinda complex as there are many factors, among which is culture. You also have to account for those with vision issues based around colours and ability to see them. Maybe, I just need the in game fog removed and all, I can't see the sea foam green of text and team ships against some of these backgrounds at all, so even, on the rare occasion, someone says they fired torps in my direction (which if you've done that your already using them wrong), I can't even see the warning. Unless they fire a team ship may appear like a prop ship unless hitting ALT shows the names and all in white that I might see it. Hell, I prefer my enemy to have the brightest camo cause on some maps I can't fully see a ship with no camo on it. Then you have cultures, easiest example being that in the US Black is usually associated with death, colour everyone wears, Hearse colour, etc, where as in other cultures it's actually White that represents it.

And then you have what amounts to a "Jedi mind trick" or an attempt of it used everyday by every store, corporation, etc to sell you a product or service. Ever wonder why all the fast food places seem to use the same 3 colours?, why various cereals use the same colours? While effectiveness can be debated, companies put a lot into logo and packaging even down to colour to try and make it stand out yet pull you in. If I recall correctly the colours of the big 3 fast food joints (Wendy's, Burger King, McDonald's), is supposed to be along the lines of make you hungry, think the food will taste good, and get you in and out fast as possible.

But Wargaming could spend all the money and time to research it and it would change nothing. The issue is not colour, the issue is people need to stop being afraid their paint will be scratched or their virtual ship sunk and that sometimes, you have to play aggressively or take one for the team to win. 

Members
6,903 posts
7,508 battles

Better idea, just flip the colors around. Red becomes friendly, green becomes enemy. Problem solved.

I accept payment in United States dollars for my problem solving. That will be $500.00 for that 30 seconds of work.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,853 battles

Different people see colors differently and not necessarily due to color blindness. For instance, I have always seen very dark green as black. Someone told me it was because I had blue eyes. I've not read any scientific papers on this but who knows, could be. I sort of wish I had green eyes because I consider them the most striking color. There was once a green-eyed girl who worked at a parts store in the next town. I bought all my parts there just so I would have an excuse to go look at her eyes.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
4,535 posts
6,426 battles
41 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Better idea, just flip the colors around. Red becomes friendly, green becomes enemy. Problem solved.

I accept payment in United States dollars for my problem solving. That will be $500.00 for that 30 seconds of work.

You are a brilliant person. So simple.  Simple is often best. I grew up in the era when you just had a big knob to change channels on the radio. Big knob for heater....etc.  You could just reach down without even looking or taking your eyes off the road and do that stuff easily. The car I got now has a control panel that is like a jetliner. Millions of itty bitty little black buttons and stuff you must find and push to do anything.  Looks cool I guess but it's so complicated that I have damn near wreaked because I often have to look down at that panel to find what little button I need to hit and it's damn dangerous. It's akin to texting while driving. Too high tech.  Crazy. As an old fart I want often to just turn back the clock of time to a simpler era.....like 1960 or so. TV was better back then also. Only had 3 channels but stuff like the sit-coms were actually funny and not 30 min of vulgar stupid adolescent sex jokes. Just give me Barney and Mayberry RFD and Gunsmoke and The Ed Sullivan show and I am a happy man. 

Edited by dmckay

Members
4,535 posts
6,426 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

You would think otherwise but red is a color that many people just don't seem notice. I bought a red truck after I got out of the Army. Someone told me to watch out as everyone was going to be running into it. I found this to be true. The first time someone ran into me I didn't see it but I went out one morning to find that someone had sideswiped my parked truck. A few months later, someone hooked the bumper and tore it off in the parking lot. Then, the car was sideswiped again. After that, I was driving in a parking lot on my way to get a pizza and d guy backed out right into me. Later, I was stopped at a light and someone ran into me from behind. When I asked the guy he said he didn't even see me. After I got that damage repaired, I was eating at a restaurant when a lady came up and asked me if that was my red truck. She had also backed out of a parking space right into the side of my parked truck. I have had my silver Tacoma for 11 years now and not a single person has run into me. People just run into red vehicles.

*I have read that RED cars get pulled over by the cops more often. Dunno if that is actually true but I have heard that a lot.