You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
platebuster

Low high tier CV Census

17 comments in this topic

Members
25 posts
2,408 battles

Since Wargaming can’t figure it out, I want us to post suggestions on how to solve low census on CV, especially in the high tier. Wargaming need to make CV worth playing. Suggestions and Go!

me: One of the key reasons I find it hard to continue CV is that you do good to break even. Kill rate on CV is slower than gunned ships IMO but cost of ships are some of the highest (cost of repair). That equals a net loss on decent games which means no one plays. I suggest a rebalance in fighter kill to credit ratio, lower the repair cost across the board.

Edited by platebuster

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,798 posts
7,034 battles

Introduce the 3rd CV tree, from the country that invented carriers (well, most fo the core features which defined a carrier). The British.

Diversity will make the game more engaging from the point of view of CV drivers. The problem with high tier (9+10) is that it is far too predictable. With only 3 possible combinations with mm, IJN vs IJN, IJN vs USN, USN vs USN, players are not going to stay around for long.

Contrast and compare to tiers 7 and 8, 4 carriers available for each tier, a diverse multitude of possible gameplay situations, much more exciting.

• Cool 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
34 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Introduce the 3rd CV tree, from the country that invented carriers (well, most fo the core features which defined a carrier). The British.

Diversity will make the game more engaging from the point of view of CV drivers. The problem with high tier (9+10) is that it is far to predictable. With only 3 possible combinations with mm, IJN vs IJN, IJN vs USN, USN vs USN, players are not going to stay around for long.

Contrast and compare to tiers 7 and 8, 4 carriers available for each tier, a diverse multitude of possible gameplay situations, much more exciting.

This. It's why I love tier 7 so much. In single CV games, I could be up against one of four CVs, each with different play styles. In 2 CV games, there's 18 combinations of CVs I could be up against, and 6 combinations of CVs I could be paired with. Plus the game play change of a second CV.

Edited by cometguy
  • Cool 1

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,849 battles

I'd say add the British carriers, change the AA/Aircraft shoot-down ratio for mid to high tier ships and make the tier 10 carriers profitable. But as WG likely won't touch Carriers until the Carrier rework you likely won't see any until that happens, if that happens. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

fix the UI. Give me real grouping features that can last through the match. gibbme better maps, maybe full screen minimap... fix the basics. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,341 posts
14,842 battles

They are probably going to add the German CV branch next given the significant historical impact they made (that's sarcasm, in case you are wondering).  I still can't believe they developed a German CV premium before British.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
1 hour ago, Grathew said:

I'd say add the British carriers, change the AA/Aircraft shoot-down ratio for mid to high tier ships and make the tier 10 carriers profitable. But as WG likely won't touch Carriers until the Carrier rework you likely won't see any until that happens, if that happens. 

This is my opinion too.  And quite honestly, I don't know why they've introduced any premium CV's before the CV rework as well.  I wouldn't have.

I will say though that a new carrier line would almost certainly invigorate carrier play.  It just doesn't seem wise to introduce it before the CV rework.

[HELLS]
Members
1,702 posts
15,518 battles
25 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

They are probably going to add the German CV branch next given the significant historical impact they made (that's sarcasm, in case you are wondering).  I still can't believe they developed a German CV premium before British.

I can. From Formidable on up, RN CVs (fleet carriers only-Colossus and Majestic classes had internal subdivision and box armored magazines only, no armor) had armored hangers and flight decks and cruiser-style belt armor and torpedo protection. They will be tough nuts to crack open as they had decent AA. Plus they used USN aircraft from Lend-Lease later in the war. It changes the entire CV meta and they know it

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016
  • Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,798 posts
7,034 battles
6 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

I can. From Formidable on up, RN CVs (fleet carriers only-Colossus and Majestic classes had internal subdivision and box armored magazines only, no armor) had armored hangers and flight decks and cruiser-style belt armor and torpedo protection. They will be tough nuts to crack open as they had decent AA. Plus they used USN aircraft from Lend-Lease later in the war. It changes the entire CV meta and they know it

The Mediterranean experience of Carriers in war time engagements is also specifically relevant to the WOWS experience as it is dominated by island strewn maps and littoral combat, i would almost say it is scandalous that the British carriers are absent from the game, scandalous they were not introduced at the same time as US and Japanese CVs, but i have run out of "I am scandalized" down votes for WG on this subject. And what a huge missed opportunity, really they hurt their own game with this failure to have the RN carriers in game, like two years ago.

jCHdSST.jpg

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,849 battles

A nice quality of life upgrade would be distance to things from your currently selected squadron, also a ETA timer on the way points would be nice too. The cynic in me want's to make a quip against WG about it. But at the same time I'm sure it's apart of the LEGENDARY CARRIER REWORK  that is on the way... eventually.... maybe.... 

[BSC]
Beta Testers
46 posts
6,580 battles

1. premium match making.  If CV's worked right this shouldn't be an issue but.......  If you're tier 7+ you are almost always going to be against tier 9+ ships.  Losses against most cruisers and battleships that are 2 tiers above you are excessive.  So till something is changed limit them to being top tier or  one tier lower in their matches.

2. Plane group optimization.  There's no sense in having 3 groups of 2 planes when you start to run low.  Games about over for you at that point so it's more a quality of life thing than a balance issue.

3. Plane repair/regeneration.  Planes don't transition instantly from full health to shot down but may retreat when damaged badly enough.  The mechanics could be very involved, but the simplest simulation of this would be a consumable similar to repair party that regenerates planes. 

4. Remove strafe.  Less realistic than ARP ships.

• Cool 1

[TSAR]
Members
149 posts
4,825 battles
2 hours ago, HobGoblin0 said:

Plane group optimization.  There's no sense in having 3 groups of 2 planes when you start to run low.  Games about over for you at that point so it's more a quality of life thing than a balance issue.

Actually it could be a unique balancing tool. If I remember the Japanese were very strict on how there air groups were formed and wouldn't interchange Pilots like the Americans did. So in game the Japanese could have what we have now while the Americans would have their squadrons combine if numbers get low.

• Cool 1

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

There have been many many many good suggestions posted to the forums on how to fix CVs... all have fallen on deaf ears. What makes you think this thread will be any different?

Members
64 posts
3,037 battles

How about making tier 5s only see tier 5s? It's annoying to go against a tier 6 CV that can strafe and manual drop while I'm stuck in a tier 5 CV rolling the dice on rng with my fighters winning, hoping my dive bombers get at least one bomb on a battleship-sized target, and my torpedos getting one hit in when a manual drop could have given me more. .

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles

Simple solution WG stop listening to the BB players on what the carrier players should or shouldn’t be doing and listen to the carrier players and by extension also fix the DD class.

The meta screws both of these classes into oblivion. At this point WG is at loss as to why people aren’t buying the ideas the BB players keep telling are a must. If they would listen to the people that play the classes it would of been fixed months ago.

Edited by GreyFox78659

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles
On 10/8/2017 at 8:19 AM, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

There have been many many many good suggestions posted to the forums on how to fix CVs... all have fallen on deaf ears. What makes you think this thread will be any different?

At this point I get the feeling WG doesn’t want to fix them as it would mean everything thing to date would have to be rebalanced away from the battleship centered game play of the current meta.

1,542 posts
26 battles

Hey guys, as many of you know we are indeed looking into issues like this! Thank you for passing along your thoughts on it!

Your suggestions are great, keep them coming! They really help us as we work on improving the game going into the future! :D