You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bguthery

French cruiser play style

12 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles

How do you play the french cruisers? Either as a whole or you personally. I am actually using the french premium BB to level the line + captain so I do not have much experience in the line.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,784 posts
9,818 battles

get the ship, try it in co-op, then test it to your own play style, those posts are very general ....

[-VT3-]
Members
1,626 posts
3,364 battles

Despite their thin skins, I can say this; the guns on the French ships are top notch.  Both the HE and AP perform exceptionally well.

[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,682 battles

Stay in the back. When it is prudent to do so, charge in with high speed and forward-facing guns/torps.

Not to be cheesy, but you really are a sniper. Your dispersion and range work well in this role.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Well... speaking of my DeGrasse I won via a SC, her name should be "De Gas" as in, "keep yer foot on de gas, boss!" You cannot play them passively... always be aware of your ship's position in relationship to reds, near and far. Hunt DDs early on using HE. You can really put the hurt on ships of all type with HE. Using AP on broadside cruisers is an excellent tactic.

My theory for French cruisers is the same as for destroyers - "Speed is Life". Keep moving, use cover and make yourself the most difficult target possible. The boost available if great, especially if you get a "super module" for speed boost. Just don't be a numbnutz, sailing in straight lines. Squirrel around a bit... and alter speeds if a lot of folks are targeting you.. 

Make sure you stay second line early and mid battle. You don't have the armor to take a lot of solid, BB shots to the hull. 

Members
3,562 posts
6,867 battles

Speed boost plus using both rudder shift modules has the higher tier French CAs moving like destroyers, driving enemy BBs nuts trying to hit you.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,068 posts
14,462 battles

Range

Speed

Manueverability

Engine Boost

HE Spam

Those are the key words that suit the French Cruiser Line.

French Cruiser signature playstyle is sailing fast and maneuvering in open water, while pouring steady 8" gunfire.  1-on-1 against a BB, a French Cruiser "playing it's game" at range is a very annoying opponent.  What you have to worry about in BB threats are:

a.  The ones that actually know how to aim.

b.  Certain BBs have a reputation of precision fire and you better respect that.

Range is important as a buffer against BB gunfire as it gives you time to do some turn adjustments to make them miss.  The closer you are, the less time you have to maneuver.  Naturally, it really, really helps if you are good with your aim to make Range + Gunfire Spam a reality.  If you can't hit at 16km+ with your French Cruiser, then you will be fighting in shorter ranges, i.e. 14-15km against BBs.  For BBs, 14-15km is a sweet spot for a good number of them.  Be careful!  Or get better with your aim at range so you can engage at safer ranges!

Also, French Cruisers fare poorly in a short range fight.  That armor of theirs is squishy and if you are up close, well, they won't miss you will they?  Torpedo armament tends to be of token value.  More of a weak sidearm because the number of torps you can drop, at least for Tier VII+, is rather weak.  French Cruisers are Open Water animals.  They're fast and with Engine Boost on, they can maneuver well in open water.  But in the confines of a series of islands, they're big and clumsy.

Engine Boost:  A French Cruiser with Engine Boost active is a completely different animal in how it sails than without it.  Be mindful of when you activate it.  Yes, it has a long active time, but it also has a long cooldown.  In addition, if you can acquire Engine Boost Mod 1 Upgrade, that is extremely useful as it increases the Engine Boost consumable active time by 50%!

French Shell Selection:  IMO, this line is heavily focused on HE shell spam.  The damage and fire chance are actually pretty good.  Another reason is I have found with Tier VII Algerie thru Tier IX Saint-Louis, the AP sucks a$$.  I ended up spamming HE most of the time, though Henri IV at Tier X has some interesting options because of her gun size.

[ADR]
Members
818 posts
5,565 battles

I will just echo what everyone else is saying. I am doing very well in all the French cruisers so far, up to tier 7. Stay at near max range, use your long range to punish the enemy while being able to dodge most return fire. Also if someone gives you a nice broadside use your AP, it works very well. Otherwise use the HE and light the world on fire and watch it burn.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,784 posts
9,818 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

HE Spam

You missed 1 important component, situation awareness and switch to AP when opportunity present. Not always HE spam

At higher tier, it harder to 1 shot as players are getting better, but it still do-able

Also,  the AP sucks a$$

My StLew-ee beg the differ

UOVeTyG.jpg

Edited by ObiwankzKenobi

Members
54 posts
3,436 battles

Good Morning folks,

Hazegrayunderway’s synopses of French cl/ca play is complete and accurate, and a great help to a neophyte cruiser player.  The single most important aspect of his review is this:  LEARN TO AIM AT MAX RANGE.  I am finding that you can run, but you can’t hide.  Eventually, if u want to take part in the battle, opponents are going to see you and all of them can range you.  If you can’t torch them at max range on a consistent basis and remain elusive at the same, a rough outing will be had.  I have played VMF &KM lines prior to this bunch, and the arch’s are driving me fz#$&” nuts.  Adjusting to them, but oh so slowly.  I have a tendency to close in at the mid-battle point due to frustration.  Not a healthy habit.