Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

Smoke Change is a Nerf to DDs

63 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

719
[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles

The new smoke changes is a nerf to DDs. The new smokes allows blooms to be detected within X distance. Unless there is a CV spotting from air, the only other class that has the responsibility to spot are DDs. Imagine this scenario. Enemies are hiding in the smokes, a DD moves within 5.5 km to spot everything in the smoke except other DDs. The cruisers upon seeing "DETECTED", immediately uses radar, or hydro. The spotting DD would be within 5.5km of the enemy and basically would just die immediately. 

 

Another pile of dung on DD's face and a buff to CVs (because once again, they can spot more things with little to no cost to themselves).

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
691
[5D5]
Members
2,281 posts
14,311 battles

Can you tell me why you would get that close to smoke in the first place? There's something called torps. They are a better indicator of where the enemy is.

 

You fire into smoke and then your team aims where they disappeared...lol.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,353
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,398 posts
3,875 battles

As someone who plays a lot of destroyers: the smoke change isn't a nerf to destroyers.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
69
[LTNY]
Members
335 posts
4,079 battles

The "changes" in smoke change nothing. It only adds a pathetic detection range increase for ships hiding in smoke after firing their guns (only 500 mts for dd)
So you are still going to be shot at by ships that you cannot see from inside a smokescreen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
485
[SOV]
Beta Testers
1,493 posts
5,811 battles
21 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Imagine this scenario. Enemies are hiding in the smokes, a DD moves within 5.5 km to spot everything in the smoke except other DDs

 

So... the DD makes a particularly stupid move and gets caught with their pants down? You are reaching on this one. The only time I would ever get that close to smoke in a DD is if I was daaaaaaammmmnnn sure there was nothing more than an opposing DD sitting in that smoke that I could bully and kill. Why get within range of radar/hydro purposefully? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,502
[INTEL]
Members
6,659 posts
25,692 battles

Not a nerf to DDs. I fear for the British CLs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
719
[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles
4 minutes ago, Brohk said:

 

So... the DD makes a particularly stupid move and gets caught with their pants down? You are reaching on this one. The only time I would ever get that close to smoke in a DD is if I was daaaaaaammmmnnn sure there was nothing more than an opposing DD sitting in that smoke that I could bully and kill. Why get within range of radar/hydro purposefully? 

 

If they are not spotted then what's the point of smoke mechanic change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
133
[VVV]
Members
358 posts
2,270 battles
1 minute ago, NeutralState said:

 

If they are not spotted then what's the point of smoke mechanic change?

The point is to reduce the effect of big battleships or heavy cruisers firing from inside smoke. The devs said they didn't fully plan for big ol' battleships to hide in smoke and fire while hidden. They wanted to change this for Clan Wars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,418
[HINON]
Supertester
7,523 posts
7,578 battles
5 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

 

If they are not spotted then what's the point of smoke mechanic change?

To prevent BBs from sitting in smoke. That’s why the detection for DDs has been kept right around the same distance as proxy spotting.

 

Have you been hiding under a rock? There has been tons of info about this posted by the devs over the last couple months. Not to mention at least a dozen threads.

Edited by renegadestatuz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
864
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles
33 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Another pile of dung on DD's face and a buff to CVs (because once again, they can spot more things with little to no cost to themselves).

Can I ask how this is a buff to CVs? The Devs explicitly stated that aircraft would not be able to spot through smoke this way, and, as a CV player and a Belfast player, I can confirm that aircraft cannot spot a ship in-smoke even if it's firing its guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,414
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,047 posts
6,739 battles
34 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

The new smoke changes is a nerf to DDs. The new smokes allows blooms to be detected within X distance. Unless there is a CV spotting from air, the only other class that has the responsibility to spot are DDs. Imagine this scenario. Enemies are hiding in the smokes, a DD moves within 5.5 km to spot everything in the smoke except other DDs. The cruisers upon seeing "DETECTED", immediately uses radar, or hydro. The spotting DD would be within 5.5km of the enemy and basically would just die immediately. 

 

Another pile of dung on DD's face and a buff to CVs (because once again, they can spot more things with little to no cost to themselves).

because .5km additional detection in smoke when firing is a big difference, yeah sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
434
[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,539 battles

It's a nerf to all smoke ships 

If your a dd in a knife fight .5 km is life or death and what about all those battleships that you just need five more seconds to fire torps into that are pushing into your smoke area that's a nerf also 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,916
[-K-]
Supertester
3,094 posts
6,832 battles

OMG, you mean DD's have to use WASD and can't be thought controlled????   THIS IS A MASSIVE NERF TO DD'S!!!!   

 

#STOPNURFINMAHDDS

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,414
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,047 posts
6,739 battles
1 minute ago, silverdahc said:

It's a nerf to all smoke ships 

If your a dd in a knife fight .5 km is life or death and what about all those battleships that you just need five more seconds to fire torps into that are pushing into your smoke area that's a nerf also 

if youre letting something get within 2km of you in a DD while sitting in smoke, you deserve whatever happens honestly

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
864
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles
3 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

It's a nerf to all smoke ships 

If your a dd in a knife fight .5 km is life or death and what about all those battleships that you just need five more seconds to fire torps into that are pushing into your smoke area that's a nerf also 

It isn't really. You are autodetected regardless of smoke at 2km anyway. I don't see what difference .5km makes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
434
[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,539 battles
2 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

if youre letting something get within 2km of you in a DD while sitting in smoke, you deserve whatever happens honestly

 

 

 

If your DD driver and you're not playing passively and it happens quite a bit 

One-on-one DD fighting and a cap happens all the time .5 km could be life or death

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
434
[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,539 battles
3 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

It isn't really. You are autodetected regardless of smoke at 2km anyway. I don't see what difference .5km makes.

 

 

Truly the thing I'm worried about the most is it's a game changer all the sudden bb's sitting out on the edges Cruisers are all hiding behind Islands

 

It's a change in the whole game mechanics hopefully the game doesn't suck with a bunch of campers out there not engaging or destroyers sitting out with the battleship so they can smoke them and never engaging either

 

Who can camp the longest wins sounds like a lot of fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I like to look at it as, peeps will now stop whining about needing smoke.

 

At least I have an excuse now. :cap_win:

Edited by Wulfgarn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
523 posts
3,683 battles
34 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

The new smoke changes is a nerf to DDs. The new smokes allows blooms to be detected within X distance. Unless there is a CV spotting from air, the only other class that has the responsibility to spot are DDs. Imagine this scenario. Enemies are hiding in the smokes, a DD moves within 5.5 km to spot everything in the smoke except other DDs. The cruisers upon seeing "DETECTED", immediately uses radar, or hydro. The spotting DD would be within 5.5km of the enemy and basically would just die immediately. 

 

Another pile of dung on DD's face and a buff to CVs (because once again, they can spot more things with little to no cost to themselves).

I'm not sure I follow here.  No DD should ever charge any position, smoke or not, that contains a radar ship...unless serious countermeasures are in place.  I'm not sure how any DD could make that a reliable, workable strategy.  The smoke changes are actually a buff to DD's, once you adapt to it.  You'll have a small sliver taken off your smoke detection, but non-radar BB's and to a lessor extent non-radar CA/CL's are sitting ducks.  You just smoke up, preferably in retreat, and torp/fire.  I rarely let any non-DD get within 3km of me anyways...and any DD that gets within 3km is not relying on smoke for squat.  I mean yes...technically it is a smoke nerf.  But, relatively?  DD's are in a much better position than any other shooting ship.  You'll just have to be accustomed to the notion that ships are going to charge smoke much more aggressively and often.  Also, you won't (shouldn't) be asked to smoke up a ship that's in a close melee scenario...something that often gets us in trouble while your BB is comfortably sitting back enjoying your smoke and spotting.  I perceive these changes as giving DD's even more room to spot and maintain concealment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
202
[TOAST]
Members
812 posts
7,246 battles
17 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

 

 

 

If your DD driver and you're not playing passively and it happens quite a bit 

One-on-one DD fighting and a cap happens all the time .5 km could be life or death

 

You need to have a plan before you get with .5km. If you just react to it because you got surprised when it happens then that's on you. You should know they or torpedo are incoming when you start closing the distance in a cap circle. Smoke or no smoke.

Edited by Vekta408

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,187
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,799 posts
10,299 battles
33 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

This is primarily a nerf to BBs and other ships firing large caliber guns from smoke.

Is it a nerf to the battleship that can't exploit the smoke?

Or to the smoke-carrying Gearing, which takes advantage of long duration smoke to protect allies, especially in divisions. If Gearing's strong smoke is weakened that's one less reason to take it over the weak smoke Z-52.

24 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Not a nerf to DDs. I fear for the British CLs.

I was going to re-buy Neptune, but 6.58km detection while firing in smoke?

That's giving every ship in the game the equivalent to better than even the best German T10 hydro (5.88km assured detection)....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
313
[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

They aren't changing how DD's get spotted, just how cruisers/BBs get detected. This is nerfing their ability to come closer to support the DDs. The DD's are just going to be more heavily encouraged to play selfishly, and only use their smoke for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
623
[NMKJT]
Members
2,720 posts
3 minutes ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

They aren't changing how DD's get spotted, just how cruisers/BBs get detected. This is nerfing their ability to come closer to support the DDs. The DD's are just going to be more heavily encouraged to play selfishly, and only use their smoke for themselves.

Honestly, it may improve life for DDs as ships will no longer slide in your smoke and park between you and the red ships, or t-bone you and shove you out of the smoke as they try to use your smoke

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×