You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldFrog75

Blind Shotting?

10 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
411 battles

I see what appears to be a lot of blind shots in Tier I - firing at ships on the other side of islands and/or at ships that aren't lit.  How effective is this?

Edited by OldFrog75

[ADR]
Members
818 posts
5,559 battles

It can be, but you are better off shooting at targets you can see unless you just have nothing else to shoot at. Then why not if you know about where the enemy is. When you do blind fire, don't do salvo fire but spread the rounds around when you fire. Once you start getting hits you can start to zero in a bit better.

Members
270 posts
85 battles

Can be very effective against a target you are tracking that has just gone undetected. For some reason many of little darlings stay on the same course and speed after the detected marker goes off.... it's a bit like those who sit in the most obvious bush in WOT. Be prepared for the hackusations though

Edited by dangerhamster

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
561 posts
5,200 battles

This tactic can be very effective if you do it right. I've seen many people try to park behind an island with high shell arcs, but they are too far from the island and they get deleted by a battleship because of it. In order for this to work, you need to make sure that you won't have any shells arced over the island onto you. For ships with high shell arc, i.e. ships like the Farragut, Atlanta, Cleveland, this tactic can be very effective. Just always remember that its kinda a situational tactic.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

If you spam the map button, you can sometimes glimpse over the island to see where the enemy is if it's spotted by someone else. Especially handy if you're a rapid firing ship since you can walk your shots into the target with that split second overhead view. 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,565 battles

Ive never hit anything although once 1 shell hit me on return fire ... I don’t do it anymore except if some ships visable I’ll do the ride along shell thingy to get info

[CVA16]
Members
2,266 posts
9,849 battles
4 hours ago, Panic512 said:

For ships with high shell arc, i.e. ships like the Farragut, Atlanta, Cleveland, this tactic can be very effective. Just always remember that its kinda a situational tactic.

True, have to consider the shell arcs of ships firing from long range. You may be the only one able to hit a target from behind the island at 10k, but that BB at 20k may have no trouble landing shells on you. Especially if the BB has that little X aim spot from Aslain mod.

Beta Testers
21 posts
3,112 battles
On 10/10/2017 at 1:25 PM, Sabot_100 said:

True, have to consider the shell arcs of ships firing from long range. You may be the only one able to hit a target from behind the island at 10k, but that BB at 20k may have no trouble landing shells on you. Especially if the BB has that little X aim spot from Aslain mod.

Even without mods this is incredibly easy for a Battleship at long enough range to have plunging fire.  I *routinely* follow ships behind cover if they are important targets because any high-tier BB can get those important citadels or even delete a ship when they think they are safe. As long as the little mountain icon beside the standard reticle has not lit up then your shells will clear the intervening island.  If you can judge midline of a ship from their tracers you can also use this against ships in smoke (even more likely to get hacusations) as well.  It's a harder shot and less likely to net you damage but if you know how to do it it is something to add into your shot prioritization (scaring that Mino into not firing is often a better choice than simply reloading to change ammo types for the BB that is coming in at a bad angle for you).