Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Fantomex_

Do the October Revolution crates make the ship worth purchasing?

54 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

5,457
[SALVO]
Members
18,893 posts
19,167 battles
2 hours ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

In US Dollars, I figure the worst case is the premium time worth about 25 cents a day.

This makes the crates worth, at worst, $5 over the three weeks.

 

The trick is to figure out what you would spend anyway and use that for comparison.

Traveller, this is the key point, particularly if you also factor in whether to buy the ship in a bundle or not.  Do you already spend money or doubloons and/or premium time?  In that case, those bundles may be worth it.  I checked out the value of the gold and prem time in the two bundles and just those two items cost more than the difference between the cost of the bundle versus the cost of the ship and port slot only.  

OTOH, if you're not a person who pays for gold or premium time already, then buying a bundle with gold and prem time probably seems like a waste of money.  And for that matter, if you don't already buy gold/prem time, then perhaps you seen no value in the gold and/or prem time you can get from the red containers, and thus maybe even buying the ship isn't worth it if the intention is to do it for those containers.

In short, if you don't give a darn about anything that's in those containers, then buying the ship, either alone or in a more costly bundle is probably not worth it.  Buying the ship/port slot alone might be worth it if you're a person who doesn't have the time to grind out the mission to get the ship for free but you still want the ship.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,457
[SALVO]
Members
18,893 posts
19,167 battles
7 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The Ultimate bundle gives you 30 days premium and 6,500 doubloons, a value of $42 add to that a ten point captain it's like getting the ship for free and then you get the crimson containers. Then of course there is the fact that you don't have to grind for the ship all month. Naysayers can try to Make the deal look bad but then naysayers really don't think quite right anyway.

The gold and prem time in both the Ultimate and Loaded bundles are worth more than the cost difference between them and the ship/port slot bundle.  So, if you're one who would pay real money for gold and prem time anyways, they're a pretty good deal, not to mention all the other minor things that are in those 2 bundles, plus the red containers, PLUS the credits you'll get for completing the ship and the camo missions, if you already have the ship and the special camo.

There's a lot of value in those bundles ... if you place any value on those items in the first place and would normally be willing to spend money on them separately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,579 posts
13,435 battles

Looks like most people are getting the low 250 doubloons per container- would be more interested if the 250 to 2,500 spread really existed.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
508
[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,452 posts
29,142 battles
30 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The Ultimate bundle gives you 30 days premium and 6,500 doubloons, a value of $42 add to that a ten point captain it's like getting the ship for free and then you get the crimson containers. Then of course there is the fact that you don't have to grind for the ship all month. Naysayers can try to Make the deal look bad but then naysayers really don't think quite right anyway.

If you value premium time and you buy doubloons on a regular basis, then yes its a good deal.  However, its not 100% free since you do have to spend the money to buy the package.

But if you don't value premium time and you buy doubloons only when there is a discount, then its not a good deal.  I don't value premium time.  I recently bought 12000 doubloons for $36 due to a 30% discount.  To me, thats a far better deal than 30 days premium and 6500 doubloons for $42.  By doing the missions, I truly get the ship for free with no money spent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,991
[TBW]
Members
7,090 posts
13,001 battles
1 minute ago, Patton5150 said:

If you value premium time and you buy doubloons on a regular basis, then yes its a good deal.  However, its not 100% free since you do have to spend the money to buy the package.

But if you don't value premium time and you buy doubloons only when there is a discount, then its not a good deal.  I don't value premium time.  I recently bought 12000 doubloons for $36 due to a 30% discount.  To me, thats a far better deal than 30 days premium and 6500 doubloons for $42.  By doing the missions, I truly get the ship for free with no money spent.

Quite true and you are right, no matter how you look at it, this is one of the best premium ship deals they have had yet. The only better deal that I can think of was last thanksgivings 37 ship deal for $399 I had 32 of them already and made out with 179,000 doubloons and 32 port slots and of course the 5 premiums I didn't have at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
371
[WOLF2]
Members
1,204 posts
8,344 battles
19 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Quite true and you are right, no matter how you look at it, this is one of the best premium ship deals they have had yet. The only better deal that I can think of was last thanksgivings 37 ship deal for $399 I had 32 of them already and made out with 179,000 doubloons and 32 port slots and of course the 5 premiums I didn't have at the time.

Wow!   Nice.   Would be tempted, although the Wife Aggro would be astronomical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
701
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,202 battles
1 hour ago, pastore123 said:

Hopefully there is an event for Giulio Cesare...

 

Captain XP mission bonus most likely. Hope to have the captain at 15 points or higher when GC appears so will be a nice sprint to 19 if it happens.  :cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
217
[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
560 posts
6,438 battles
20 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

 

Captain XP mission bonus most likely. Hope to have the captain at 15 points or higher when GC appears so will be a nice sprint to 19 if it happens.  :cap_haloween:

That would be nice as well. If they want to throw some crates in the equation, I won't complain though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
701
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,202 battles
21 minutes ago, pastore123 said:

That would be nice as well. If they want to throw some crates in the equation, I won't complain though :)

 

Halloween event is already taking place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
217
[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
560 posts
6,438 battles
17 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

 

Halloween event is already taking place. 

I know. I'm being way optimistic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,579 posts
13,435 battles

Not sure containers worth it.  With ultimate, assume 24 containers- for ease of comparison 8 of each type - so 40k total free exp, 8 days premium, and given the results of doubloons ( mostly 250 drops), 2,000 doubloons. Value 

doubloons = $ 10

8 days premium = $8

free exp - can earn but at 25 to 1 = $8

so value around $26 Could be more if your doubloons drop in higher then 250 increments - but free exp does not have a great value, can get premium time or doubloons cheaper in packages or a special - so unless the containers start dropping higher doubloon denominations - these "special " containers, not so special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,190
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,772 posts
13,606 battles

Short answer: $25 version is a bad deal. $50 version is a good deal if you were already going to buy doubloons and premium.

Analysis.

Problems with the OP's analysis that makes the estimates wrong:

  • Assumes equal chance of getting any doubloon amount between 250 and 5000. This is not the case. 250 is much more likely than higher values. This is a very common F2P trick.
  • Does not account for the 7 containers that can be earned by players who only play the missions. You can finish the mission chain to earn the ship on the first day of the third week, so 7 of the 22 containers are earnable without paying. Only 15 of them are unique to first-day buyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
557 posts
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

The gold and prem time in both the Ultimate and Loaded bundles are worth more than the cost difference between them and the ship/port slot bundle.  So, if you're one who would pay real money for gold and prem time anyways, they're a pretty good deal, not to mention all the other minor things that are in those 2 bundles, plus the red containers, PLUS the credits you'll get for completing the ship and the camo missions, if you already have the ship and the special camo.

There's a lot of value in those bundles ... if you place any value on those items in the first place and would normally be willing to spend money on them separately.

 

If you get the Ultimate, as I did, once you deduct the cost of the premium time and the 6.5k doubloons, the ship only costs about $7.50. This allows you to earn MORE crates for even more rewards. This is actually one of WG's better deals if you play the game enough.

 

Good luck and fair seas.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
9,492 battles

It is a fair value proposition. Expected value from the containers is about the same as the ship at ~$25.

 

The Ultimate bundle is more worthwhile if you need prem time or doubloons but not amazingly so.

 

The question is, do you need more prem time, doubloons, and free xp? And are you willing to play the Okt Rev everyday for a 2 weeks for those containers?

 

Personally FXP and Premium have very little value (400k FXP left after both Missouri and Nelson, + 9 Months prem) for me so I will not be gambling on getting doubloons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
320
[TDG]
Members
1,572 posts
7,174 battles

Don't forget the 10-point captain.

There is also value there.

In converted FreeXP, this can be worth up to $20.

 

The deal would have been better if we got doubloons for completing the missions, but I can use the credits.

 

Also, any FreeXP I get is that much I don't need to convert to get Nelson or avoid stock hulls.  (I'm actually pretty good here right now, so that will be many doubloons saved.) 

 

Finally, I was going to spend the money anyway.  Tirptz can wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[CDMX]
Members
103 posts
5,911 battles
On 05/10/2017 at 11:59 AM, _Fantomex_ said:

This may have been discussed already, but I haven't seen anything.

 

Originally, I wasn't planning on buying a Tier 5 Premium ship that I could earn for free, but since winning a battle per day in it gives these special crates, it might be worth buying the ship just for the bonuses they offer.

 

Let's do some math (all values in Canadian Dollars):

 

The October Revolution costs $31.49 CAD.

Containers can be earned once per day until Oct. 25, so starting a day late (today), you can potentially earn up to 21 crates.

Each container contains either:

  • 5,000 free exp (worth 200 doubloons, or ($3.74/500 * 200) = $1.496 = $1.50)
  • 1 day of premium (worth $1.88)
  • 250-2,500 doubloons (worth $1.87 - $15.91)

And on completion of the October Revolution mission in-game you would get 7,575,000 credits, which is worth (7,575,000/1,500 = 5,050 doubloons) = $29.95

 

So if you buy the ship and complete the mission for the "free" version anyway, you would only have a $1.54 difference in the actual monetary cost, which would essentially covered by earning a single container of any type. So basically you get the ship for free regardless of buying it or not. The only question is whether or not you would have spent the ~$30 otherwise.

 

That means that you would only gain from purchasing the ship now vs. earning it for free, at least in terms of actual value. 

 

Even if you only got the 250 doubloon option each type you got the doubloons, you would earn, on average ($1.50 + $1.88 + $1.87)/3, $1.75 per day, amounting to $36.75 at the end of the event, at essentially bare minimum.

 

If you use the middle of the doubloon values (1,375 = $9.30) you could get ($1.50 +$1.88 + $9.30)/3 = $4.23 per day, amounting to a whopping $88.83.

 

And, if by the grace of RNGSama, you manage to get 2,500 doubloons each time... well...  $334.11

 

So to recap, if you buy the ship today, and then go on to earn the ship for free, you will, in effect, be getting the ship for free anyway. After that, you can only profit from this.

  • At minimum, if you get a container each day, you will get ~$36.75 in value
  • At "average" (but not really, it's hard to work with ranges of values), you would get ~$88.83 in value
  • At most, you will get $334.11 in value

Seems to me like a no brainer to buy it...

Agreed.

 

If you get stuff and support the game, sounds to me a good deal.

People can argue that the math could be more accurate as in previous posts and this bundle is better than that and so.

I think that it is a great way to do WG. People can choose to buy it and get stuff that cost money in return or just get it for free. Nothing can be more fair IMHO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[CDMX]
Members
103 posts
5,911 battles
On 05/10/2017 at 11:59 AM, _Fantomex_ said:

This may have been discussed already, but I haven't seen anything.

 

Originally, I wasn't planning on buying a Tier 5 Premium ship that I could earn for free, but since winning a battle per day in it gives these special crates, it might be worth buying the ship just for the bonuses they offer.

 

Let's do some math (all values in Canadian Dollars):

 

The October Revolution costs $31.49 CAD.

Containers can be earned once per day until Oct. 25, so starting a day late (today), you can potentially earn up to 21 crates.

Each container contains either:

  • 5,000 free exp (worth 200 doubloons, or ($3.74/500 * 200) = $1.496 = $1.50)
  • 1 day of premium (worth $1.88)
  • 250-2,500 doubloons (worth $1.87 - $15.91)

And on completion of the October Revolution mission in-game you would get 7,575,000 credits, which is worth (7,575,000/1,500 = 5,050 doubloons) = $29.95

 

So if you buy the ship and complete the mission for the "free" version anyway, you would only have a $1.54 difference in the actual monetary cost, which would essentially covered by earning a single container of any type. So basically you get the ship for free regardless of buying it or not. The only question is whether or not you would have spent the ~$30 otherwise.

 

That means that you would only gain from purchasing the ship now vs. earning it for free, at least in terms of actual value. 

 

Even if you only got the 250 doubloon option each type you got the doubloons, you would earn, on average ($1.50 + $1.88 + $1.87)/3, $1.75 per day, amounting to $36.75 at the end of the event, at essentially bare minimum.

 

If you use the middle of the doubloon values (1,375 = $9.30) you could get ($1.50 +$1.88 + $9.30)/3 = $4.23 per day, amounting to a whopping $88.83.

 

And, if by the grace of RNGSama, you manage to get 2,500 doubloons each time... well...  $334.11

 

So to recap, if you buy the ship today, and then go on to earn the ship for free, you will, in effect, be getting the ship for free anyway. After that, you can only profit from this.

  • At minimum, if you get a container each day, you will get ~$36.75 in value
  • At "average" (but not really, it's hard to work with ranges of values), you would get ~$88.83 in value
  • At most, you will get $334.11 in value

Seems to me like a no brainer to buy it...

Agreed.

 

If you get stuff and support the game, sounds to me a good deal.

People can argue that the math could be more accurate as in previous posts and this bundle is better than that and so.

I think that it is a great way to do WG. People can choose to buy it and get stuff that cost money in return or just get it for free. Nothing can be more fair IMHO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
373
[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
On 10/5/2017 at 10:59 AM, _Fantomex_ said:

This may have been discussed already, but I haven't seen anything.

 

Originally, I wasn't planning on buying a Tier 5 Premium ship that I could earn for free, but since winning a battle per day in it gives these special crates, it might be worth buying the ship just for the bonuses they offer.

 

Let's do some math (all values in Canadian Dollars):

 

The October Revolution costs $31.49 CAD.

Containers can be earned once per day until Oct. 25, so starting a day late (today), you can potentially earn up to 21 crates.

Each container contains either:

  • 5,000 free exp (worth 200 doubloons, or ($3.74/500 * 200) = $1.496 = $1.50)
  • 1 day of premium (worth $1.88)
  • 250-2,500 doubloons (worth $1.87 - $15.91)

And on completion of the October Revolution mission in-game you would get 7,575,000 credits, which is worth (7,575,000/1,500 = 5,050 doubloons) = $29.95

 

So if you buy the ship and complete the mission for the "free" version anyway, you would only have a $1.54 difference in the actual monetary cost, which would essentially covered by earning a single container of any type. So basically you get the ship for free regardless of buying it or not. The only question is whether or not you would have spent the ~$30 otherwise.

 

That means that you would only gain from purchasing the ship now vs. earning it for free, at least in terms of actual value. 

 

Even if you only got the 250 doubloon option each type you got the doubloons, you would earn, on average ($1.50 + $1.88 + $1.87)/3, $1.75 per day, amounting to $36.75 at the end of the event, at essentially bare minimum.

 

If you use the middle of the doubloon values (1,375 = $9.30) you could get ($1.50 +$1.88 + $9.30)/3 = $4.23 per day, amounting to a whopping $88.83.

 

And, if by the grace of RNGSama, you manage to get 2,500 doubloons each time... well...  $334.11

 

So to recap, if you buy the ship today, and then go on to earn the ship for free, you will, in effect, be getting the ship for free anyway. After that, you can only profit from this.

  • At minimum, if you get a container each day, you will get ~$36.75 in value
  • At "average" (but not really, it's hard to work with ranges of values), you would get ~$88.83 in value
  • At most, you will get $334.11 in value

Seems to me like a no brainer to buy it...

No.

Spent $50 on the highest tier one. Have gotten like 4 or 5 days of premium and 15k free xp. Not a single dubloon. At tier the ship is okay if you have a non-crapteam (LOL GOOD LUCK), uptiered it gets [edited] by t7s. T5 and T8 have the worst MM imo.

 

TLDR; It's clear the container chances are not equal. 1 Day premium is by far the most common (and useless).

Edited by w4spl3g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,866 posts

The crates are some compensation for buying a free ship. The ship itself is OK. It has unusual features, but you can play to it's strengths. 12 guns, 4 turrets: very good against destroyers, but don't let them get too close. Don't broadside to any BB, you will be deleted. Spam that HE and light them up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
486 posts
4,113 battles

I've gotten 500 dubloons so far with the containers  that's worth 5 if I just bought the dubloons from the store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49
[SYN]
Members
261 posts
10,551 battles
On 10/5/2017 at 9:59 AM, _Fantomex_ said:

This may have been discussed already, but I haven't seen anything.

 

Originally, I wasn't planning on buying a Tier 5 Premium ship that I could earn for free, but since winning a battle per day in it gives these special crates, it might be worth buying the ship just for the bonuses they offer.

 

Let's do some math (all values in Canadian Dollars):

 

The October Revolution costs $31.49 CAD.

Containers can be earned once per day until Oct. 25, so starting a day late (today), you can potentially earn up to 21 crates.

Each container contains either:

  • 5,000 free exp (worth 200 doubloons, or ($3.74/500 * 200) = $1.496 = $1.50)
  • 1 day of premium (worth $1.88)
  • 250-2,500 doubloons (worth $1.87 - $15.91)

And on completion of the October Revolution mission in-game you would get 7,575,000 credits, which is worth (7,575,000/1,500 = 5,050 doubloons) = $29.95

 

So if you buy the ship and complete the mission for the "free" version anyway, you would only have a $1.54 difference in the actual monetary cost, which would essentially covered by earning a single container of any type. So basically you get the ship for free regardless of buying it or not. The only question is whether or not you would have spent the ~$30 otherwise.

 

That means that you would only gain from purchasing the ship now vs. earning it for free, at least in terms of actual value. 

 

Even if you only got the 250 doubloon option each type you got the doubloons, you would earn, on average ($1.50 + $1.88 + $1.87)/3, $1.75 per day, amounting to $36.75 at the end of the event, at essentially bare minimum.

 

If you use the middle of the doubloon values (1,375 = $9.30) you could get ($1.50 +$1.88 + $9.30)/3 = $4.23 per day, amounting to a whopping $88.83.

 

And, if by the grace of RNGSama, you manage to get 2,500 doubloons each time... well...  $334.11

 

So to recap, if you buy the ship today, and then go on to earn the ship for free, you will, in effect, be getting the ship for free anyway. After that, you can only profit from this.

  • At minimum, if you get a container each day, you will get ~$36.75 in value
  • At "average" (but not really, it's hard to work with ranges of values), you would get ~$88.83 in value
  • At most, you will get $334.11 in value

Seems to me like a no brainer to buy it...

Nice Breakdown +1 for your effort - and yes seems like a no brainer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[STW-D]
Members
96 posts
10,073 battles

Thought about it and saw it in action. It is quite beautiful. It's also pretty fair in combat. Ranked season 5 next year or whenever? Though the rewards are not quite juicy enough. Give us more Please? How about 100k Free XP for one of these Super Containers. Not being a brat but 25 bucks is a lot of cash!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×