You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Fantomex_

Do the October Revolution crates make the ship worth purchasing?

54 comments in this topic

[SEP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,792 battles

This may have been discussed already, but I haven't seen anything.

Originally, I wasn't planning on buying a Tier 5 Premium ship that I could earn for free, but since winning a battle per day in it gives these special crates, it might be worth buying the ship just for the bonuses they offer.

Let's do some math (all values in Canadian Dollars):

The October Revolution costs $31.49 CAD.

Containers can be earned once per day until Oct. 25, so starting a day late (today), you can potentially earn up to 21 crates.

Each container contains either:

• 5,000 free exp (worth 200 doubloons, or ($3.74/500 * 200) = $1.496 = $1.50)
  • 1 day of premium (worth $1.88)
  • 250-2,500 doubloons (worth $1.87 - $15.91)

And on completion of the October Revolution mission in-game you would get 7,575,000 credits, which is worth (7,575,000/1,500 = 5,050 doubloons) = $29.95

So if you buy the ship and complete the mission for the "free" version anyway, you would only have a $1.54 difference in the actual monetary cost, which would essentially covered by earning a single container of any type. So basically you get the ship for free regardless of buying it or not. The only question is whether or not you would have spent the ~$30 otherwise.

That means that you would only gain from purchasing the ship now vs. earning it for free, at least in terms of actual value. 

Even if you only got the 250 doubloon option each type you got the doubloons, you would earn, on average ($1.50 + $1.88 + $1.87)/3, $1.75 per day, amounting to $36.75 at the end of the event, at essentially bare minimum.

If you use the middle of the doubloon values (1,375 = $9.30) you could get ($1.50 +$1.88 + $9.30)/3 = $4.23 per day, amounting to a whopping $88.83.

And, if by the grace of RNGSama, you manage to get 2,500 doubloons each time... well...  $334.11

So to recap, if you buy the ship today, and then go on to earn the ship for free, you will, in effect, be getting the ship for free anyway. After that, you can only profit from this.

• At minimum, if you get a container each day, you will get ~$36.75 in value
  • At "average" (but not really, it's hard to work with ranges of values), you would get ~$88.83 in value
  • At most, you will get $334.11 in value

Seems to me like a no brainer to buy it...

Edited by _Fantomex_
  • Cool 3

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,195 battles

I myself honestly would pass on it. Partly because I don’t play BBs but also because of the tier V MM being a wee bit borked ATM. Mainly because I prefer my DDs instead, though, so take my word with a grain of salt

• Cool 1

Members
9,980 posts

Suckers are us?

Just because they give you free crap, makes it a better value?

The ship is free, yet you're trying to justify buying it for more free stuff...:Smile_teethhappy:

[SEP]
725 posts
7,792 battles
6 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Suckers are us?

Just because they give you free crap, makes it a better value?

The ship is free, yet you're trying to justify buying it for more free stuff...:Smile_teethhappy:

Hey, even if you still see it as spending $30, you can't deny that the additional stuff basically allows you to get $60 (or more!) for only $30

Edited by _Fantomex_

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles

http://XuDbkrB.jpg

The ship is easy worth $25 anything else is a bonus.

You get 750 xp from a normal container ..................

Enough said.

$25 is nothing to ask for this awesome bb and tier 5 has the best maps.

People stop being so cheap and wanting all for nothing.

Members
2,594 posts
12,485 battles
7 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

Hey, even if you still see it as spending $30, you can't deny that the additional stuff basically allows you to get $60 (or more!) for only $30

Image result for but wait there's more

• Cool 1

[TDG]
Members
1,192 posts
6,030 battles

In US Dollars, I figure the worst case is the premium time worth about 25 cents a day.

This makes the crates worth, at worst, $5 over the three weeks.

The trick is to figure out what you would spend anyway and use that for comparison.

[TDG]
Members
1,192 posts
6,030 battles
4 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

http://XuDbkrB.jpg

The ship is easy worth $25 anything else is a bonus.

You get 750 xp from a normal container ..................

Enough said.

$25 is nothing to ask for this awesome bb and tier 5 has the best maps.

People stop being so cheap and wanting all for nothing.

I wish I had a battle like that.

I did have a good first battle, but not on that scale.  (It was enough to complete Stage 1 of Week 1.)

[SEP]
725 posts
7,792 battles
5 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Image result for but wait there's more

Wargaming hates him! Find out he got over 100% return GUARANTEED with this one simple trick! 

Edited by _Fantomex_
  • Cool 2

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
1 minute ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

I wish I had a battle like that.

I did have a good first battle, but not on that scale.  (It was enough to complete Stage 1 of Week 1.)

Its hard because as a new ship all the enemy focus fire you and the cvs just constantly cross drop torps on your ship all battle.

This is my very tidy port.

http://mhsnxiF.jpg

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles

So you get a "super-container/red" a day if you win one battle a day till Oct 25? Or is it just 1 the first battle and that is it.

I can see spending $25 if you get the ship plus 20 super containers, but if just ship and 1 super container, no.

Corrected I do see it is one red container a day. Hmmm ,  Broke till friday. :Smile_sad:

Edited by Strachwitz666

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
2 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

So you get a "super-container" a day if you win one battle a day till Oct 25? Or is it just 1 the first battle and that is it.

I can see spending $25 if you get the ship plus 20 super containers, but if just ship and 1 super container, no.

You get a daily container on a win once per day.

Ship came out yesterday so i have had 2 containers so far.

250 gold and 5k xp/

[SEP]
725 posts
7,792 battles
2 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

So you get a "super-container" a day if you win one battle a day till Oct 25? Or is it just 1 the first battle and that is it.

35 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

Containers can be earned once per day until Oct. 25, so starting a day late (today), you can potentially earn up to 21 crates.

[PVE]
Members
9,797 posts
7,485 battles
21 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

So you get a "super-container/red" a day if you win one battle a day till Oct 25? Or is it just 1 the first battle and that is it.

Corrected I do see it is one red container a day. Hmmm ,  Broke till friday. :Smile_sad:

Even better, it is one container per day for winning a PvP or PvE battle.

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
8,075 battles

Ummm, if I'm reading the article correctly, it looks like co-op battles count for getting the daily container. For "Battle Restrictions", it shows both the red anchor symbol and the green anchor symbol - so apparently you get the container for a win in either Randoms or Co-op.

I wondering there for a second, why WG was being so bloody generous with this deal. Suddenly it struck me - October 2017 - 100th Anniversary of the Glorious Revolution - it's the Russians giving themselves a birthday present....

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
10,486 battles

It's a decent ship, I dropped for the whole package because timing wise I needed to get some doubloons and premium time anyway.  First 4 boxes were 5k free xp each, and the fifth today was 250 doubloons.  In battle the AA is workable (averaging 4.5 plane kills, peak of 20), the ship does decent damage and I have only used my last damage control one time - it actually forces you to think wisely about your DC party, not setting it off until two fires are going.

The camo is ..... FAB-U-LOOOOOOUUUUUSSSSSSSS!!!!!

• Cool 2

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
763 posts
5,973 battles
13 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

It's a decent ship, I dropped for the whole package because timing wise I needed to get some doubloons and premium time anyway.  First 4 boxes were 5k free xp each, and the fifth today was 250 doubloons.  In battle the AA is workable (averaging 4.5 plane kills, peak of 20), the ship does decent damage and I have only used my last damage control one time - it actually forces you to think wisely about your DC party, not setting it off until two fires are going.

The camo is ..... FAB-U-LOOOOOOUUUUUSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Me too, I got the big package and received 2x5000k FXP and 2x1 day premium. In addition to the 40 oil earned for my clan. Well worth the overall cost of the ship.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,632 posts
8,397 battles

Probably yes, but I'll still skip and get her for free because 1] I don't have the money for it and 2] it will most likely rot in my port afterwards. There's already a slew of premiums I don't play, I'd just be stacking one more on the pile.

• Cool 1

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
3 minutes ago, PelicanHazard said:

Probably yes, but I'll still skip and get her for free because 1] I don't have the money for it and 2] it will most likely rot in my port afterwards. There's already a slew of premiums I don't play, I'd just be stacking one more on the pile.

Why buy with cash a ship thats no use for your playstyle?

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
8,075 battles
32 minutes ago, PelicanHazard said:

That's the thing - after this event is over on the 25th, what's the point of even having this bloody ugly as sin boat? For me, the only real long-term benefit you could get from opening those containers - that you can't already buy in the premium shop with the same money you would otherwise spend on this ship - is that it's an extra 10 oil per day for your clan, over and above your 3 normal daily containers - an extra 220 oil per person from today thru the 25th. After that, looks like a pretty much lackluster boat just taking up space in my port. I've already got Iron Duke, Texas, New York, Konig, Kongo, and 4 ARP Kongos at Tier 5 - just don't see the point in getting it.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles

The Ultimate bundle gives you 30 days premium and 6,500 doubloons, a value of $42 add to that a ten point captain it's like getting the ship for free and then you get the crimson containers. Then of course there is the fact that you don't have to grind for the ship all month. Naysayers can try to Make the deal look bad but then naysayers really don't think quite right anyway.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles
7 minutes ago, Retnav54 said:

That's the thing - after this event is over on the 25th, what's the point of even having this bloody ugly as sin boat?

It actually looks quite nice with the other premium camo on. Read the post above yours and you might get the point. It has very accurate guns too. I like it already. I might be biased in the fact that I am trying to get all of the ships the October was #176.

Edited by Sovereigndawg