You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Obama_69

Tier 7 Japanese Torpedo ship ( Akatsuki) more like Tier 7 Japanese Gunboat.

25 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts

So the Akatsuki is a ship i have a on and off relationship with. One hand it is a Japanese DD so it seems just about everyone knows of my Torps before they're within arming distance at times.But on the other hand i have some of my best games in this.

I have learned that this ship if played by a smart gun boat captain can be used as a really good gunboat. 

You obviously don't want to try to be a Russian or American DD. You are gonna want to line your ship up with islands so you are able to stealth fire. Use your smoke mostly when you have other teammates around and lastly Never be afraid to use your guns in a DD fight. Only time it might be acceptable is if your on 3k health or so. I have had games where an i am able to almost fully kill a Fletcher and once a Z-52 ( Fail platoon)  With nothing but guns. These guns against unarmored enemies such as DD can go very well. This is one of the things that annoy me the most. Is that Japanese DD's are usually said to have some of the worst guns. So in many cases i see my team lose when we have one IJN DD at almost full health thinking they need to use their Torpedoes only against a very low health Kirov or Ibuki even. 

Sense the main guns are placed on the rear end of the ship this means you can usually be sailing away and dodging shots while you fire at the enemy. The most damage your gonna get from your guns is the are the fires it sets. You are really gonna want to try and set a flood with your torps then try to get some fires. This also works the other way of getting fires than floods. The Torps on this are also good besides detection. I am also able to do a fair amount of damage with enemy planes ( Would not recommend testing your luck though.) But with the AA ability you are able to prevent Planes from constantly following you and keeping you spotted. You don't need to stay by friendly AA. Unlike other DD's of the same tier. I have tried mostly a full Gunboat build but haven't been able to try it fully.

Akatsuki.thumb.png.71d18acf9c51219cc23c6e6a872e626f.png59d64675daa65_AkatsukiDetailedStats.thumb.png.1531d644bb6658f4701e934d656da5e4.png

This is from the last match i played. I could've broken 200k but i choked on a the enemy CV torp drop.

There isn't really any other DD at tier 7 that i love as much as this. If you can get past the turret traverse than this is a great ship 

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

*sarcasm* 
Clearly a hacker! There is no way an IJN DD did this well! They're useless and the worst! People told me so!

But no seriously that's a heck of a good game. Nice work! I've always liked Akatsuki. Just avoid Atlanta. Wouldn't want a historical recreation. 

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

IJN DD guns themselves are great, the mount is the terrible part.

• Cool 3

Members
29 posts
2 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

*sarcasm* 
Clearly a hacker! There is no way an IJN DD did this well! They're useless and the worst! People told me so!

But no seriously that's a heck of a good game. Nice work! I've always liked Akatsuki. Just avoid Atlanta. Wouldn't want a historical recreation. 

Funny thing is that there was a Atlanta in the game yelling in chat if i remember cause i was wiggling my but of the ship and he couldn't hit me.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,214 battles
14 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

IJN DD guns themselves are great, the mount is the terrible part.

QFT. The actually guns rival the Soviets, but the mounts suck. 

Members
4,819 posts
5,596 battles

Akatsuki, in my opinon has one big flaw outside of her torps(which is something shared by virtually all IJN DDs) that make her uncomfortable to play, her detection range is atrocious. Fully specced out, it only comes out to 6.4km. It's just too visible in my opinion. It should be about 6.0km and oddly enough it wouldn't take a huge change in stock detection range to achieve that.* (I still love my Akatsuki to death though, fun boat, just needs some small tweaks to put it in a great place)

*(6.1km alone would be amazing for this ship. And that's the current detect range for Fubuki, which in all honesty doesn't make sense that Akatsuki has a larger detection range, as she's just a modified Fubuki-class DD. Most sources consider the Akatsuki's to be a sub-class of Fubuki and not it's own class of ships)

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

Members
603 posts
7,085 battles
46 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Akatsuki, in my opinon has one big flaw outside of her torps(which is something shared by virtually all IJN DDs) that make her uncomfortable to play, her detection range is atrocious. Fully specced out, it only comes out to 6.4km. It's just too visible in my opinion. It should be about 6.0km and oddly enough it wouldn't take a huge change in stock detection range to achieve that.* (I still love my Akatsuki to death though, fun boat, just needs some small tweaks to put it in a great place)

*(6.1km alone would be amazing for this ship. And that's the current detect range for Fubuki, which in all honesty doesn't make sense that Akatsuki has a larger detection range, as she's just a modified Fubuki-class DD. Most sources consider the Akatsuki's to be a sub-class of Fubuki and not it's own class of ships)

Higher tier IJN DD all have flaw that makes them somewhat uncomfortable.

the detection range of Akatsuki and Shimakaze,

the gun range of Kagero and Harekaze,

the stupid reload time for 4x2 torp compare to 3x3 torp.

a few little changes can make all those ships much more fun to play....

but for some unknown reason, WG don't really like IJN DD.

• Cool 2

[HEROS]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,522 battles

Akatsuki is by far one of the best T7 DD's in the game and horribly underrated by the average player.  Pretty much everything about her is fantastic!  She's an absolute powerhouse.  A detection range buff for the ship would be nice for when it gets uptiered but even in those matches I don't get spotted very often outside of when I chose to be spotted.  The tactics DO change during those matches, it just depends on what is going on.  

Now if only Hibiki was a T7 premium.  WG could even give us the Veriny by allowing the ship to change nations based upon the captain in her! (Lewd!).  As we all know, Hibiki is best Akatsuki!

[CVA16]
Members
2,266 posts
9,849 battles
5 hours ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

Akatsuki is by far one of the best T7 DD's in the game and horribly underrated by the average player.

Not according to Ship Stats which reflect more of the average user levels. Akatsuki is a consistent bottom third Tier 7 DD performer. I'm sure there are those that can do very well in the ship but most players cannot.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,439 posts
10,418 battles

The type 90 torps are what kill it for me (I'm going to keep complaining about them)

They need to be an upgrade over Type8 torps, but they aren't, which is what is sad about them

• Cool 2

[5IN]
Members
1,790 posts
8,125 battles

Nice game OP, well done!   I've only logged a few games in my Akatsuki so far, but it has impressed me.  It may be a keeper...

B

Beta Testers
1,834 posts
10,762 battles
20 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

The type 90 torps are what kill it for me (I'm going to keep complaining about them)

They need to be an upgrade over Type8 torps, but they aren't, which is what is sad about them

If they do buff Type 90, they have to also buff Type 93 mod.2 since it's the upgraded fish over Type 90 in Kagero and Akizuki. And Type 93 mod.2 is really not much better to begin with and will end up with worse reaction time than buffed Type 90.

All in all, IJN torps are a mess.

[DOG]
Members
431 posts
5,748 battles

I also love the Akatzuki.  I still usually have decent games with it, even though I stupidly moved my captain to the Kagero when I bought it.  Now I'm stuck at 7.2 km detection range until I can grind enough commander's points to get concealment expert back.  6.4 km is not great, but it's workable.

I noticed the guns were good too.  They seemed especially good right after I moved up from lower tier IJN DDs.  (Well, to be fair, Mutsuki and Fubuki had good guns too.  Just not enough of them.)  You just have to think ahead and have them more or less pointed in the right direction before you need them.  And the 3 triple torpedo launchers are great for boxing targets in.  If you time it right, you can almost get them moving at right angles and create an L shaped ambush, so you your target gets hit no matter how it turns.  The 38 knot speed helps with this.  That's what I like least about the Kagero.  It just feels so slow and sluggish after the Akatzuki.

[HEROS]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,522 battles
On 10/25/2017 at 10:18 AM, Sabot_100 said:

Not according to Ship Stats which reflect more of the average user levels. Akatsuki is a consistent bottom third Tier 7 DD performer. I'm sure there are those that can do very well in the ship but most players cannot.

Ship stats say that Hindenburg is one of the worst T10 cruisers too, and yet, it's by far one of the strongest T10 cruisers and I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Japanese DD's and German cruisers are very similar in that players who take the time to master them are rewarded with significantly higher potentials than players who don't.  They require A LOT of skill sets to maximize and the average player may have the basics of DD or cruiser play down but not necessarily the ones that make either line as powerful as they are.

Edited by UrPeaceKeeper

[CVA16]
Members
2,266 posts
9,849 battles
32 minutes ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

Ship stats say that Hindenburg is one of the worst T10 cruisers too, and yet, it's by far one of the strongest T10 cruisers and I'm not the only one who thinks that.

As I said, those stats reflect what the average player (experience and abilities) can get from the ship. If you are a unicum level player that has taken the time to learn the idiosyncrasies of a particular ship, you will do a lot better than what that average player gets. You also get the ships that you just click with for whatever reason. It just works for you. Some ships are easier to learn which would inflate their stats.  That said, given two players of equal ability and experience in their respective ships, the one with the better ship will win MOST of the time. There is also the factor that most times you are not in direct head to head competition with your competition. Overall it is not how well (or poorly) a Shiratsuyu can do against an Akatsuki but how either one of them fares against the typical fleets they face. In this case, for the average player, the Akatsuki does not handle the challenges of a typical battle as well as the Shiratsuyu (or several other DDs) according to the stats.

[HEROS]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,522 battles
On 10/26/2017 at 5:58 PM, Sabot_100 said:

As I said, those stats reflect what the average player (experience and abilities) can get from the ship. If you are a unicum level player that has taken the time to learn the idiosyncrasies of a particular ship, you will do a lot better than what that average player gets. You also get the ships that you just click with for whatever reason. It just works for you. Some ships are easier to learn which would inflate their stats.  That said, given two players of equal ability and experience in their respective ships, the one with the better ship will win MOST of the time. There is also the factor that most times you are not in direct head to head competition with your competition. Overall it is not how well (or poorly) a Shiratsuyu can do against an Akatsuki but how either one of them fares against the typical fleets they face. In this case, for the average player, the Akatsuki does not handle the challenges of a typical battle as well as the Shiratsuyu (or several other DDs) according to the stats.

I don't think that fundamentally there is much different between the Shiratsuyu and Akatsuki except that Shiratsuyu is arguably a better torpedo boat than Akatsuki is and Akatsuki is arguably a better gun boat.  And before you crucify me for that statement, understand that Akatsuki's gun configuration is significantly better in every situation than Shiratsuyu and Shiratsuyu's ability to spam 16 torpedoes over the span of 10 seconds is rivaled only by high tier IJN DD's.  For the average IJN player who adamantly believes IJN DD's don't have workable guns, being able to put 16 torpedoes in the water with little risk of detection (due to Shiratsuyu's nearly 1km better detection) is a healthy safety net whereas Akatsuki requires a bit more of both.  

Perhaps Akatsuki suffers the same problem that most USN ships suffer from:  Being too well rounded to not be strong enough in any one area to compete.  One thing is certain though, Shiratsuyu has 1/3rd the battles that Akatsuki has which tells me more people are keen to go up the IJN main line before branching out to other lines.  That WILL impact ship stats significantly.  One need only look at Marblehead vs Omaha, Missouri vs Iowa, etc to see the differences that taking out the majority of the "learning the ship" grind problems will do to ship stats.

Members
341 posts
1,906 battles

I just got to to this ship. I'm in love. Torps? Pretty damn good. Guns? Good. Speed? Good.

It's a pretty complete package. And I don't even have concealment expert on my Japanese DD captain yet.

[CVA16]
Members
2,266 posts
9,849 battles
On 10/28/2017 at 11:57 PM, UrPeaceKeeper said:

One thing is certain though, Shiratsuyu has 1/3rd the battles that Akatsuki has which tells me more people are keen to go up the IJN main line before branching out to other lines.  That WILL impact ship stats significantly. 

Definitely agree that ships with a larger learning population will fare worse than those with primarily seasoned drivers with good captains. One reason some premium ships have such OP stats is that they are  good ships, but they are also driven by very good players. Some reward ships went exclusively to very good players.

Of course the player has to click with the ship. Recently got a Texas, which is supposed to be a decent ship, and it is my worst BB (hell, my worst ship) ever.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
498 posts
5,581 battles

I like this ship so much I bought the permanent camo for it. Last I looked my W/R was 73%, the only ship I play regularly that comes close is the Arizona with similar W/R's. It performs, but like the Arizona loves having a high skill captain in it, that makes a huge difference. I'm curious to know what builds you all are running on it? I'll post mine when I get home tomorrow after work.

[HEROS]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,522 battles
1 hour ago, HeathenForay said:

I like this ship so much I bought the permanent camo for it. Last I looked my W/R was 73%, the only ship I play regularly that comes close is the Arizona with similar W/R's. It performs, but like the Arizona loves having a high skill captain in it, that makes a huge difference. I'm curious to know what builds you all are running on it? I'll post mine when I get home tomorrow after work.

PM

LS

AR

BFT

SI

CE

AFT

Starting at T7, this is the most flexible loadout for Akatsuki I've run.  Yes, it's gun focused, so that means you need to use them! :P

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
498 posts
5,581 battles
12 minutes ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

PM

LS

AR

BFT

SI

CE

AFT

Starting at T7, this is the most flexible loadout for Akatsuki I've run.  Yes, it's gun focused, so that means you need to use them! :P

I have a 12pt in it now, but I am grinding the snot out of my 19pt captains to build it up as quickly as possible... My guns are rarely silent and I'm really tempted to try AFT next. Right now I have PM EM LS TAE and CE...

I HATE slow turrets so I'm not willing to give up EM so I was thinking:

PM

PT

LS

EM

BFT

DE (extra scummy :D .... )

SE

CE

Love your channel btw...you're a night owl, add me I'd like to team up sometime!

Edited by HeathenForay

Members
84 posts

Akatsuki is 1 of the worst ships to play in WOWS; in fact all IJN DDs except for the premium ones are utter crap.

Sure you can have a great game but that is exceptional. In general you will end up frustrated, annoyed, angry and have a feeling of 'never wanting to play this game again... ever...'.

Try torpedoing a battleship... good luck with that because that is what you need.  There is no science, skill or intelligence behind this as some people would like to  believe; it is just pure luck. Over the course of 1 year of updates, tweaks, balancing, nerfs etc battleships have become super maneuverable and almost totally immune to torpedoes.  

Just the other game; I was in an Akastuki and got spotted. So you do the only thing can you do and that is to smoke up and hope and pray nobody is popping radar (another one of this utter game spoiling and "I want to walk away from this game" gadgets). So  you are in smoke and you use these fantastic riffles that reload every 8 seconds to fire at the Bismarck who is only a mere 8 km away from you; sure you launched torps - all 9 of them - but the Mark dodged them all.  And that just made him angry so he is coming towards you at full speed!

You are still firing your main artillery at him; full salvo every 8 seconds but  it being such a gigantic big battleship it is just not making any difference.  And he is getting closer and you know that at 4 km he will pop his hydro and then its all over for you. So you give him  another 9 torps - surely at almost point blank range (less than 5 km) you must be able to kill him... No!!! He sees them all and dodge them all.  Not 1 hit; and even 1 or 2 would not have made much difference with his repair party.

Now he popped radar and you just rocketing out of there. But forget that.... 1 salvo from his guns and you are on your way to your rendez-vous with the ocean floor. 

IJN DDs are the worst, germans are not much better.  And russion and us are just gun boats. And since I am only playing DDs at the moment I end up - for reasons stated above - walking away from most games before they even start or at most after a couple of minutes.

[HEROS]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,522 battles
7 hours ago, sendit2me30 said:

Akatsuki is 1 of the worst ships to play in WOWS; in fact all IJN DDs except for the premium ones are utter crap.

Sure you can have a great game but that is exceptional. In general you will end up frustrated, annoyed, angry and have a feeling of 'never wanting to play this game again... ever...'.

Try torpedoing a battleship... good luck with that because that is what you need.  There is no science, skill or intelligence behind this as some people would like to  believe; it is just pure luck. Over the course of 1 year of updates, tweaks, balancing, nerfs etc battleships have become super maneuverable and almost totally immune to torpedoes.  

Just the other game; I was in an Akastuki and got spotted. So you do the only thing can you do and that is to smoke up and hope and pray nobody is popping radar (another one of this utter game spoiling and "I want to walk away from this game" gadgets). So  you are in smoke and you use these fantastic riffles that reload every 8 seconds to fire at the Bismarck who is only a mere 8 km away from you; sure you launched torps - all 9 of them - but the Mark dodged them all.  And that just made him angry so he is coming towards you at full speed!

You are still firing your main artillery at him; full salvo every 8 seconds but  it being such a gigantic big battleship it is just not making any difference.  And he is getting closer and you know that at 4 km he will pop his hydro and then its all over for you. So you give him  another 9 torps - surely at almost point blank range (less than 5 km) you must be able to kill him... No!!! He sees them all and dodge them all.  Not 1 hit; and even 1 or 2 would not have made much difference with his repair party.

Now he popped radar and you just rocketing out of there. But forget that.... 1 salvo from his guns and you are on your way to your rendez-vous with the ocean floor. 

IJN DDs are the worst, germans are not much better.  And russion and us are just gun boats. And since I am only playing DDs at the moment I end up - for reasons stated above - walking away from most games before they even start or at most after a couple of minutes.

I don't know of any sane IJN DD driver that'd do as you did and hang around a ship with hydro or radar while sitting in smoke.  That's asking to get killed.  

I'll tell you what I personally would do in that scenario.  Your scenario is predicated on the fact that the torpedoes missed at 8km.  My question is what is spotting me and what is around?  If it's just the Bismarck, then I'm less concerned but would like to know what is spotting me.  If the Bismarck is alone and charging me, I'd wait for him to get about 5km away and then I'd drive by torpedo him at "can't evade" range rather than launch torpedoes at a target 8km away.

But lets say I did and they missed.  I'd stay in that smoke all the way until he reached about the 6km range and then I'd be bailing out of the back side of the smoke so that he cannot see me and I'd run and reposition myself to get another torpedo attack off on him.  I know he has his hydro on so that means either waiting him out or catching him where he cannot maneuver to dodge them all.

If you are missing torpedoes at 4km then I'd suggest spending some time in the lower tiers to figure out torpedoes better.  I'd recommend Minekaze... Missing 4km torps against a BB like Bismarck is either ridiculously bad luck or really bad aim.  Like I said, you have a few options based upon the situation.  If it's just him charging my smoke, he had better pray that his first salvo kills me or his secondaries do because I'm charging his butt and torpedoing him at 2km or I'm already well out of my smoke by the time he gets close enough to be a threat.

As for IJN DD's being the "worst" in the game... far from it.  They require a higher degree of skill to get the most out of but they are some of the most fun ships to play in the game.  There is no other DD line that can troll enemy ships nearly as hard as they can.  None with as flexible of torpedo layouts or with torpedoes that hit as hard.  They are my favorite DD line in game by a massive margin.  They are significantly more flexible than any other DD line is until you get Fletcher in the USN line. And even then, only Fletcher is comparable.

Members
84 posts
1 hour ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

I don't know of any sane IJN DD driver that'd do as you did and hang around a ship with hydro or radar while sitting in smoke.  That's asking to get killed.  

I'll tell you what I personally would do in that scenario.  Your scenario is predicated on the fact that the torpedoes missed at 8km.  My question is what is spotting me and what is around?  If it's just the Bismarck, then I'm less concerned but would like to know what is spotting me.  If the Bismarck is alone and charging me, I'd wait for him to get about 5km away and then I'd drive by torpedo him at "can't evade" range rather than launch torpedoes at a target 8km away.

But lets say I did and they missed.  I'd stay in that smoke all the way until he reached about the 6km range and then I'd be bailing out of the back side of the smoke so that he cannot see me and I'd run and reposition myself to get another torpedo attack off on him.  I know he has his hydro on so that means either waiting him out or catching him where he cannot maneuver to dodge them all.

If you are missing torpedoes at 4km then I'd suggest spending some time in the lower tiers to figure out torpedoes better.  I'd recommend Minekaze... Missing 4km torps against a BB like Bismarck is either ridiculously bad luck or really bad aim.  Like I said, you have a few options based upon the situation.  If it's just him charging my smoke, he had better pray that his first salvo kills me or his secondaries do because I'm charging his butt and torpedoing him at 2km or I'm already well out of my smoke by the time he gets close enough to be a threat.

As for IJN DD's being the "worst" in the game... far from it.  They require a higher degree of skill to get the most out of but they are some of the most fun ships to play in the game.  There is no other DD line that can troll enemy ships nearly as hard as they can.  None with as flexible of torpedo layouts or with torpedoes that hit as hard.  They are my favorite DD line in game by a massive margin.  They are significantly more flexible than any other DD line is until you get Fletcher in the USN line. And even then, only Fletcher is comparable.

hahaha ..skill ... hahaha ... so funny... I am betting you are having tons of little videos posted all over youtube bragging about your skill

Edited by sendit2me30

[TDG]
Members
1,171 posts
5,948 battles

I am a decidedly average player, but Akatsuki is my best DD by every measure except survival where it second by 1 point to Shiratsuyu.

Of course, my second best DD is Gnevny, so I may just be an exception all the way around.