You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DingBat

Blys: Gunboot or not?

29 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

Hi,

I dearly love my Blys. Even with the open water stealth fire nerf it's just too much fun to troll around at high speed bullying enemy destroyers and battleships. Especially battleships. I'm not happy if the guns aren't firing. 

But I ran into a Blys yesterday who played like a stealth boat. It rarely fired, it at all. So, maybe I'm the one that's out of step with the community?

So, do you gun or not in your Blys? Or have most of you put it on the shelf?

[O_S_D]
Members
41 posts
9,636 battles

It's a Blys, you shoot your guns and damn the torpedoes!

I like getting close, then turn and run away firing the whole time. ( Blys has more aft guns to shoot than forward guns)

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I run mine every now and then, but i don't run her like a torp boat. Matter of fact, I run DE on her. The guns are too good to not use them, but I'll still drop off and torp in her. I play it both ways depending on the situation.

You also need to take into account that Sky Cancer (and hydro) is freaking everywhere these days. If you solely depend on torps, you're messing up your bottom line.

I don't run her like a Khab with anything like AFT either fyi.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,845 posts
11,558 battles
7 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

I don't run her like a Khab with anything like AFT either fyi.

Just realized I am not sure I have changed her captain skills since the removal of OWSF. I think I might still have AFT on her which is more a liability then a boon these days. Did they give us a free respec after that change? 

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
14 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Just realized I am not sure I have changed her captain skills since the removal of OWSF. I think I might still have AFT on her which is more a liability then a boon these days. Did they give us a free respec after that change? 

I've kept a lot of my Commanders clear from our last free respec.

I don't know if they gave us one specifically with the OWSF nerf, but I do know mine was clean until I started running her again recently. Matter of fact, I have 4pts on a 19pt that I haven't decided what to do with yet.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[SEP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,792 battles

I play it as a hybrid, but definitely more gun focused. As such, I still run concealment and TAE; but gameplay wise I go guns first, and spam torps everytime they come off cooldown on salvos that will probably miss, but at least make people turn around. 

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

With her speed and excellent ballistics, she can reliably hit targets at max range with impunity.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

I admit I love bullying isolated battleships with my Blys. I had a game recently where I had a running duel with a KGV and a Fuso. The Fuso fired 8 salvoes at me without even coming close. The KGV did better but I'd racked up 50k in damage before they'd even got me down to 75% damage. KGV player was commenting about "OP destroyers". 

I'm way more careful with cruisers, but out beyond 10k I'll take on just about any battleship in a one on one gunfight and expect to win, or at least make them turn away and run.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,443 battles
33 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

I've kept a lot of my Commanders clear from our last free respec.

I don't know if they gave us one specifically with the OWSF nerf, but I do know mine was clean until I started running her again recently. Matter of fact, I have 4pts on a 19pt that I haven't decided what to do with yet.

ifhe

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
19 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

With her speed and excellent ballistics, she can reliably hit targets at max range with impunity.

Oh yeah, you certainly can depending on whats around.

I run the Khab like that (of course). My Gremy has been sitting for a long time. I've been thinking of pulling her out of mothballs to see how she fares these days running her like the old days.

I'll have to check if the Commander is still clear when I get home. I use to use the same Commander on it and my Lenin.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
Just now, Wulfgarn said:

My Gremy has been sitting for a long time. I've been thinking of pulling her out of mothballs to see how she fairs these days running her like the old days.

I'll have to check if the Commander is still clear when I get home. I use to use the same Commander on it and my Lenin.

She still has the insane rudder shift and turning circle she had, plus is now the only Gnevny class at T5. 

I'd say as long as you have EM, BFT, and AFT, you're golden.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,249 battles
1 hour ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I have a tendency to play everything like gunboat....

Ya, this is me ... too!

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,249 battles
19 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

plus is now the only Gnevny class at T5.

or would be if it was, indeed, a Gnevny, which it is not.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
2 hours ago, pmgaudio said:

ifhe

Not a bad idea.

Right now, I'm running..

aT2TLTX.png

From what I can remember in the past, I think I used my last 4 on SE and PT. PM

It crossed my mind for IFHE, or even RPF (yes, I'm one of those that use it effectively), but I haven't really hammered out what was needed, yet. I only have a handful of battles in her since OWSF nerf. I was planning on testing.

I'm so use to changing play styles on a monthly basis, it's hard to decide on one type. :cap_hmm:

Anything hitting from distance I use to always fall back on only when I was too low on health to be of benefit up close.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[SALVO]
Members
17,071 posts
17,737 battles

Honestly, I see no reason not to use both her guns and her torps.  I've had some kick butt games in my Blys doing this.  If you're specced for concealment, you can stealth torp.  So when my torps are loaded and there's a good opportunity to be had, I'm not against going dark with my guns and closing on some BB.  I'll launch my torps and then head back out to long range and start spamming my guns again.

To me, it's a real waste to not use your torps on the Blys (or the Leningrad, which is quite similar) if you have a CE captain.  At the same time, just putzing around the map like you're an IJN stealth torping only DD is also a waste of the Blys' guns.  Use both!

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,252 battles

If you start a game thinking" I am a gunboat" then you are not looking at the match and the map. You need to evaluate the other team, your team, and then proceed. The Blys is to be played as "either" or "both", which is how I play here.

[SALVO]
Members
17,071 posts
17,737 battles
2 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Not a bad idea.

Right now, I'm running..

aT2TLTX.png

From what I can remember in the past, I think I used my last 4 on SE and PT.

It crossed my mind for IFHE, or even RPF (yes, I'm one of those that use it effectively), but I haven't really hammered out what was needed, yet. I only have a handful of battles in her since OWSF nerf. I was planning on testing.

I'm so use to changing play styles on a monthly basis, it's hard to decide on one type. :cap_hmm:

With those 4 remaining skill points, I'd be going for AFT rather than other stuff.  In a non-US gunboat DD, range is life.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
4 minutes ago, StingRayOne said:

You always have such great profile pics.

I think I might like this one better than the one in the pool that you had up for a long time. :Smile_honoring:

Not sure though.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,650 posts
9,052 battles

I have a tendency to play everything like gunboat....

I don't play DD's much but I tend to put EM on everything, even IJN DD's, you never know when you are going to need those guns and being able to keep them on target while maneuvering is a life saver when you do get into a brawl.

AFT and DD's is really a ship by ship decision. If the gun arc allows for accurate long range fire, RU DD's anyone, I feel it can still be useful and with maneuvering DD's being nearly impossible to hit at all but close range being spotted may not be that big a negative for a gun boat DD.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,443 battles
1 hour ago, Wulfgarn said:

Not a bad idea.

Right now, I'm running..

aT2TLTX.png

From what I can remember in the past, I think I used my last 4 on SE and PT.

Anything hitting from distance I use to always fall back on only when I was too low on health to be of benefit up close.

if I were you I would DEF use PT>.. I have it on all my DDs and cruisers... you will be surprised ow much it helps your decisions to fire, smoke or run....

try it.,..you might even thank me... LOL I like it far better than that other one... which is better for BBs.... just My Opinion... but it helps 100% to know IF and HOW MANY ships have you locked.... so you know if you should run.... smoke.... or keep lighting that BB in fire....

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
22 minutes ago, pmgaudio said:

if I were you I would DEF use PT>.. I have it on all my DDs and cruisers... you will be surprised ow much it helps your decisions to fire, smoke or run....

try it.,..you might even thank me... LOL I like it far better than that other one... which is better for BBs.... just My Opinion... but it helps 100% to know IF and HOW MANY ships have you locked.... so you know if you should run.... smoke.... or keep lighting that BB in fire....

ACK! I wrote that wrong. I have PT, I meant PM. :Smile_sad:

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,934 battles

The reason I asked about Leningrad vs Blyskawica in another thread was sorta this:

If you want a pure kiting pewpewpew gunboat with decent torpedoes, Leningrad is better; if you want more of a dual role, Maas is better - much better at torpedoing and capping/stealth. 

I now feel Blyskawica is inferior to both.  I love the look and history of the boat, but I feel there is no real practical reason to drive it.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,249 battles
1 hour ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

I now feel Blyskawica is inferior to both.

Blys is an incredibly well balanced ship; it has good torps, good guns, decent detection; it's a well rounded ship which can do almost everything, albeit maybe not as well as some others. She did lose out in the invisifire nerf, but most DD's did.

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,934 battles

Blys is an incredibly well balanced ship; it has good torps, good guns, decent detection; it's a well rounded ship which can do almost everything, albeit maybe not as well as some others. She did lose out in the invisifire nerf, but most DD's did.

I'm not great with the Blys, true. But I wonder if this is based more on "like" than "fact."  Guns ARE good. But 3 x 2 57-kt torpedoes didn't seem that "good" neither did the detection of 7.74 seem that "decent" on paper compared to what she faces.  Can do a little of everything? Suppose so.  But a "good" all rounder? 

Dunno. If I want a gunboat DD that can stealth torp and contest caps if needed; there's the Leningrad.  If I want to stealth torp and contest cap with gunboating where needed, there's the Maas.  Is there a niche place for the Blys in the middle?  I suspect the Leningrad can mimic it easily enough then, and be better the rest of the time.

Taking .3-.5 off its detection range, very slightly increasing the gun tracking or rudder shift, and adding +5kts to torpedoes might make it more of a mid-range dual role boat. I'd even lose a little bit of gun range to do it.