You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Stop with the "BLEEPING" HE already

28 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,966 posts
10,751 battles

So tired of seeing BB's using HE all the time. Other ships full broadside in close and they use freaking HE and do squat for damage. Drives me NUTS! I get it if you are say a T5 running from a T7 and you use it to try and whittle the enemy down but I see T10 BB's using HE against Cruisers and such. Why why why???

IF you aren't a BRN BB use your darn AP PLEASE! BRN BB AP is good too so use it when it is called for as well.

Rant over...:Smile-angry:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Aye, Aye Admiral:Smile_honoring::Smile_teethhappy:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles

Unless you are having a bad RNG game.

Or everyone on the Red Team has a brain and refuses to show broadside.

Or you are in a Yamato shooting at anything other than another Yamato.

All AP hits are overpens or bounces...  and worthless.

If I can, I'll switch to AP if there are cruisers, but unless I hit a citadel, they are all bounces and overpens.

It's very frustrating to have perfect salvoes with 8 AP hits..  and zero damage.  I swear, with battleship AP, watching the hits, I'm overpenning them THROUGH the citadel.

I can hear it now..  time your shots.. aim for the citadel..  Get closer....   GO AWAY !!!

• Cool 2

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
28 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Unless you are having a bad RNG game.

Or everyone on the Red Team has a brain and refuses to show broadside.

Or you are in a Yamato shooting at anything other than another Yamato.

All AP hits are overpens or bounces...  and worthless.

If I can, I'll switch to AP if there are cruisers, but unless I hit a citadel, they are all bounces and overpens.

It's very frustrating to have perfect salvoes with 8 AP hits..  and zero damage.  I swear, with battleship AP, watching the hits, I'm overpenning them THROUGH the citadel.

I can hear it now..  time your shots.. aim for the citadel..  Get closer....   GO AWAY !!!

I don't know what to tell you. Yeah you get a lot of overpens and junk but you also wipe cruisers off the face of the planet too. It's really common to take at least 50% off of a broadside cruiser with one salvo. Sometimes they all overpen. Sometimes they one shot the ship's whole HP bar. Over a large sample set of well-aimed salvos at broadside targets, AP is going to out perform HE. 

Except maybe for RN BBs. 

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

What HE "Bleeps"? :cap_hmm:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,725 posts
9,120 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So tired of seeing BB's using HE all the time. Other ships full broadside in close and they use freaking HE and do squat for damage. Drives me NUTS! I get it if you are say a T5 running from a T7 and you use it to try and whittle the enemy down but I see T10 BB's using HE against Cruisers and such. Why why why???

IF you aren't a BRN BB use your darn AP PLEASE! BRN BB AP is good too so use it when it is called for as well.

I would really like to see fires, how and what starts them, how they cause damage, and how we fight them changed so the feeling of helplessness that too often comes from fires. I actually don't want fire itself nerfed but the player needs tools beyond the all or nothing Damage Control.

One thought is to drastically reduce fire chance on HE and give AP the same or slightly reduced fire chance. With that fires would instead of causing a set percentage of the burning ships health would instead have a chance with each tic to cause a critical hit for the damage a 5" hit causes. Each fire critical would have a chance to start another fire. With the change in how fire causes damage the burning ship would have a small, 1 - 2% chance with each tic to put out the oldest fire burning with Damage Control instead increasing the chance to put the fire out by say 25%. With this HE damage may need to be buffed slightly but the gain is the player that is on fire won't feel completely helpless. With this fire would stop being the weapon and instead become a bonus but a rather variable one.

[AFW-]
Beta Testers
136 posts
10,338 battles

There is a time to use both. BB HE can be very effective against mid range angled targets. AP is more effective against broadsides and long range plunging fire.The in game "whining" about HE I usually see are from players who put out one fire very quickly and then whine when they are re-ignited and have to burn awhile. Certain changes in  game meta often require changing captains skills and going to more "tanking" upgrades. It's game life.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles

Long ago, I switched all my battleship captain skills towards the 'survivability' column.  I find my BBs live a lot longer and frustrate the heck out of those HE spamming hyenas like the Kiev and Atlanta.

After I burn and heal a couple times, they can spam all they want...  little damage, and no fires.  One learns to ignore that noise and concentrate on targets more.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,966 posts
10,751 battles

Mostly I am just venting after a morning of BB players trying to brawl with HE and/or using NOTHING but HE all game; start to finish. It handicaps the team when players do that. Especially high tier BB's where one AP salvo can obliterate even other BB.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,725 posts
9,120 battles
33 minutes ago, JdeMolay said:

There is a time to use both. BB HE can be very effective against mid range angled targets. AP is more effective against broadsides and long range plunging fire.The in game "whining" about HE I usually see are from players who put out one fire very quickly and then whine when they are re-ignited and have to burn awhile. Certain changes in  game meta often require changing captains skills and going to more "tanking" upgrades. It's game life.

If I have a single fire burning I don't even think of DC unless my health is well under 50%. Where fire becomes extremely frustrating is when you have several fires burning and put them out only to have several fires burning almost as soon as the immunity period is over.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles
18 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

If I have a single fire burning I don't even think of DC unless my health is well under 50%. Where fire becomes extremely frustrating is when you have several fires burning and put them out only to have several fires burning almost as soon as the immunity period is over.

Adjust your ship settings, flags, and captain skills.  That's the only thing that seems to work.

Once they see they can't 'light you up'..  they'll switch to AP (the enemy team, that is).

I'm currently grinding the RN BB line.  RN-HE can citadel lower tier cruisers.  Switch to AP, and you get nothing but overpens.

Last night, I ran the Yamato once.  I started out spamming HE.  Red team saw that and got careless...   lol. 

Did I mention that the fast switcher captain skill is one of my favorites?

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,725 posts
9,120 battles
3 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Adjust your ship settings, flags, and captain skills.  That's the only thing that seems to work.

Once they see they can't 'light you up'..  they'll switch to AP (the enemy team, that is).

I'm currently grinding the RN BB line.  RN-HE can citadel lower tier cruisers.  Switch to AP, and you get nothing but overpens.

Last night, I ran the Yamato once.  I started out spamming HE.  Red team saw that and got careless...   lol. 

Did I mention that the fast switcher captain skill is one of my favorites?

The captain skill is very useful as it reduces the maximum number of fires by one. However, the only way they can't light you up is during the immunity period of damage control and the flag if you have it reduced the fire damage you take but doesn't stop it completely.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

The captain skill is very useful as it reduces the maximum number of fires by one. However, the only way they can't light you up is during the immunity period of damage control and the flag if you have it reduced the fire damage you take but doesn't stop it completely.

I usually let my first fires burn down (using the flag and ship upgrade to shorten duration).  After that, they will get more and more peeved they can't light me up.  So they move on to another target.

As for getting team mates to use AP on full broadside battleships...   well...  maybe they are trying to set fires for a mission or campaign.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,725 posts
9,120 battles
2 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

I usually let my first fires burn down (using the flag and ship upgrade to shorten duration).  After that, they will get more and more peeved they can't light me up.  So they move on to another target.

As for getting team mates to use AP on full broadside battleships...   well...  maybe they are trying to set fires for a mission or campaign.

Yeah, I have a deep dislike of mission requirements that basically require you to play wrong. I will say that the napalm, cough, cough, HE spam is dropping and I am seeing more AP from the RN BB's which a lot of people forget is quite good.

Members
3,826 posts
14,179 battles

How about this; When BB players are using HE it's most likely for a good reason. Maybe to them it works better in the situation that they're in and with the ship that they're driving than AP would. Example; With my Dunkerque I use HE at least 90% of the time. The HE rivals Brit BBs for fire starting, it does a respectable amount of damage, against Cruisers it often gets cits and Devastating Strikes. Dunk's AP often overpens Cruisers and is only effective against BBs at 10k or less. And that's only if the BB is fully broadside on. To sum it up, I use the ammo that works best for that ship.

So OP, not every BB player who uses HE a lot is a dummy. Play your ships your way and don't worry about how others play theirs.

[CUTER]
Members
704 posts
19,097 battles

I've rather quite enjoyed this new meta.  Peeps showing broadside because everyone else is shooting HE.  Well...I have watched my Montana sky rocket in the last 20 games I've played because so many potatoes think I will be shooting HE like everyone else....and then they get ported.  Near dev struck another Montana at over 18km yesterday with AP....4 cits and over 80k damage total...he was none too pleased.  So, keep spamming HE and sailing broadside...I like improving my stats.

Edited by KongoPride

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,725 posts
9,120 battles
6 minutes ago, KongoPride said:

I've rather quite enjoyed this new meta.  Peeps showing broadside because everyone else is shooting HE.  Well...I have watched my Montana sky rocket in the last 20 games I've played because so many potatoes think I will be shooting HE like everyone else....and then they get ported.  Near dev struck another Montana at over 18km yesterday with AP....4 cits and over 80k damage total...he was none too pleased.  So, keep spamming HE and sailing broadside...I like improving my stats.

There is nothing new about the fire meta but it has now moved to BB's which have the highest fire chance.

[JEEP]
Beta Testers
577 posts
4,652 battles

Generally, I just laugh my [edited]off when I see any BBs - but especially Brit BBs - spam HE. It makes me wonder if their other ride are Russian cruisers.  It does demonstrate how WG is favoring those without skill these days. Also, it was such a delight to put a Bismarck on the bottom with well placed rounds from the Queen Liz.   Im half way through the grind on the KGV, and really about the only time I (deliberately) load HE is for $h!tters lurking in cloaking DDs.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

Why not add a new Consumable? I am not sure on charges or anything like that.

A salt water sprinkler system on all ships, it puts the fire out BUT does not heal any damage.

Members
9,997 posts
On 10/5/2017 at 5:33 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

This is who plays the game....

Stats for the top 100 players by number of games played, and a pretty good snapshot of what you see in game.

Fully 68% of the players can't achieve a 1000 WTR, and since they play the most, they are even more over represented in games....

The problem you're having is an expectation that these players actually understand shell mechanics, when it should be clear they don't.:Smile_teethhappy:

eHT7Oan.png

Edited by awiggin

Members
594 posts
4,444 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

As a Cruiser Main, please BBs, keep shooting HE at me!

Saw you last night on my team. I think I was in my Scharny.

I'll remember to have HE at long range, and AP, just for you.

BRING ON YOUR BADA$$ self, I GOT MORE WHERE IT CAME FROM.

[WBLDG]
Beta Testers
373 posts
3,582 battles
On 10/5/2017 at 5:33 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

Even if you're running UK BBs AP should be kept on hand at least as it's cruiser-deleting abilities are quite potent.