You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Chaos_NA

Mods should be prohibitid for Clan Wars and Ranked

72 comments in this topic

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

Selective enforcement across game modes might be an issue; I can't see that as being an easy thing to implement, technically-speaking.

[SEP]
Members
3,722 posts
14,917 battles
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

But muh anime ship skins :Smile_sad::Smile_ohmy:

^ This. Touch our waifus and see what happens. I dare you, OP, I [edited] dare you :Smile-angry:

Edited by m373x
  • Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,302 posts
6,565 battles
44 minutes ago, m373x said:

^ This. Touch our waifus and see what happens. I dare you, OP, I [edited] dare you :Smile-angry:

Take mah waifu and you get the knifu

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,741 posts
3,228 battles

ro7qG8O.jpg

I need my painted shipfus.

~Hunter

• Cool 1

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
605 posts
5,043 battles

Did anyone read this and mistake "mods" for forum moderators rather than game modifications?

Here I was thinking you were going to ban Niko. Poor Corgi.

[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts

The illegal addons dont use the res mods folder or they would be easy to detect so your suggestion would have no impact on the cheaters.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

You spuds presume every mod is a cheat... some of us, perhaps a lot of us, have issues viewing the screen let alone the tiny ships using the mid-2000's graphics engine. The game graphics do not render properly across all computers. Coding for "computers" is not nearly as easy as coding for one "game platform". Hence there are issues that mods address but the "vanilla game" does not. Maybe never will - but mods do. 

As their goal is to include as many different systems and players as possible, excluding visual mods will reduce their player counts. If they were to do such a thing then then need to provide us the current visual mods in-game. fwiw

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,401 posts
9,560 battles

Maybe WG can set up 'Special Olympics' for those who need Aim-Assist, visual enhancement, and Lag Spikes.

Then these folks can enjoy their own little adventures -- separated from us folks you refer to as 'spuds' and 'scrubs' who don't cheat.

[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,245 battles

I haven't seen the UI for any 3rd party mods.  Are they like XVM for WoT?  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,830 posts
11,513 battles

I really don't see why mods should be banned from ranked/clanwars. If they are ok for randoms they are ok for all game modes.

• Cool 1

[SEP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,759 battles

But my Kancolle voice pack! I need my squeaky animu shipfus yelling at me :(

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

No legal mods gives an unfair advantage. If they did, WG would pull them.

If you sucked before you download Aslains, or "WG's" modpacks, you're still gonna suck afterwards..

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

Members
543 posts
6,806 battles
5 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

You spuds presume every mod is a cheat... some of us, perhaps a lot of us, have issues viewing the screen let alone the tiny ships using the mid-2000's graphics engine. The game graphics do not render properly across all computers. Coding for "computers" is not nearly as easy as coding for one "game platform". Hence there are issues that mods address but the "vanilla game" does not. Maybe never will - but mods do. 

As their goal is to include as many different systems and players as possible, excluding visual mods will reduce their player counts. If they were to do such a thing then then need to provide us the current visual mods in-game. fwiw

I don't think every mod is cheat but some "legal" mods do give advantages.  The mini map mod that indicates a targets direction for one.  Also the mod that shows performance in a players boat both could be exploited in a competitive battle.  Are these going to make a bad player good, no.  The fact still remains that it's not level playing field though.

As for WG banning mods that give advantages that isn't completely accurate mods just as an example here are two.  The mini map mod and player stats mod.  The first one can remove any doubt about if the target backing up or going forward where otherwise it might take a little time to figure that out on your own.  The second one allows the team to single potential players as a high priority.  There are others as well that certainly give advantage without alter game mechanics.

I'm not remotely concerned with skins or ui color mods.  Though some visual mods can give advantages.

The point is that in nearly all competitive events rules are the norm.  Also don't take this discussion to absurd places, the context is specific and I rather doubt anyone reading doesn't comprehend what my concerns are even if they have never modded their client.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
943 posts
10,404 battles

The real issue is, people think clan & ranked battle is some kind of full-on hardcore competitive mode. WG is trying to kluge together a Frankenstein kind of pseudo-competitive mode that non-competitive players can join. Clan battle is nothing more than ranked but for clans. It's a grind that's disguises as being a competitive mode where the only difference between good and bad players are speed of progression and not the end result. So policing mod in clan battles and ranked battles are overkill. 

• Cool 1

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
11,405 battles
12 minutes ago, Captain_Chaos_NA said:

I don't think every mod is cheat but some "legal" mods do give advantages.  The mini map mod that indicates a targets direction for one.  Also the mod that shows performance in a players boat both could be exploited in a competitive battle.  Are these going to make a bad player good, no.  The fact still remains that it's not level playing field though.

As for WG banning mods that give advantages that isn't completely accurate mods just as an example here are two.  The mini map mod and player stats mod.  The first one can remove any doubt about if the target backing up or going forward where otherwise it might take a little time to figure that out on your own.  The second one allows the team to single potential players as a high priority.  There are others as well that certainly give advantage without alter game mechanics.

I'm not remotely concerned with skins or ui color mods.  Though some visual mods can give advantages.

The point is that in nearly all competitive events rules are the norm.  Also don't take this discussion to absurd places, the context is specific and I rather doubt anyone reading doesn't comprehend what my concerns are even if they have never modded their client.

Exactly. And since you can't tell who is using resin to throw the pitch, you need to ban the resin.

"Oh no. ..but. ..I just use resin to moisturize my arms. ..for. ..uh. ..esthetic reasons.."

Edited by Megrim3

[NMKJT]
Members
2,720 posts

I use the official WOWS modpack. I don't think my Hatsune Miku load screens or Dasha Perova voicepack impact the game at all. Other options include confetti for tracers.

Mods add some fun and whimsy to the game. Nothing wrong with that

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
11,405 battles
2 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

I use the official WOWS modpack. I don't think my Hatsune Miku load screens or Dasha Perova voicepack impact the game at all. Other options include confetti for tracers.

Mods add some fun and whimsy to the game. Nothing wrong with that

Cause you most certainly could never play a competitive mode without confetti. ..how would you ever be able to live without that? Lol. 

Members
150 posts
2,332 battles
36 minutes ago, Captain_Chaos_NA said:

The mods don't give more information that a player without them wouldn't already be able to see.

1. The direction smoke from the engines move in relation to the ship can tell you if it's backing up or not. You can also tell if a ship is turning or not just by physically looking at its bow and account for that when aiming.

2. Clans have requirements for their players. If you aren't good enough, you can't get in. Player stats can be guess by just looking at what clan you're facing. 

13 minutes ago, Megrim3 said:

Cause you most certainly could never play a competitive mode without confetti. ..how would you ever be able to live without that? Lol. 

You could, but the player you quoted apparently likes that aesthetic. Who are you to tell them they can't have that?

Edited by Drago_Ryder

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
11,405 battles
35 minutes ago, Drago_Ryder said:

The mods don't give more information that a player without them wouldn't already be able to see.

1. The direction smoke from the engines move in relation to the ship can tell you if it's backing up or not. You can also tell if a ship is turning or not just by physically looking at its bow and account for that when aiming.

2. Clans have requirements for their players. If you aren't good enough, you can't get in. Player stats can be guess by just looking at what clan you're facing. 

You could, but the player you quoted apparently likes that aesthetic. Who are you to tell them they can't have that?

Yea...and I like glass shards on my boxing gloves.  Because....glitter! 

Competitive games have rules.  Play by them.  It's honest people like us that are asking that these rules be applied and enforced.  There's nothing wrong with asking for fairness of play. 

And we have the number one defender of mods "they don't provide any advantage because they don't give you any information that isn't  already available"

Sorry, you can't pull the wool over my eyes.

If a computer can calculate information 10x faster than the average human brain could, that's  called an advantage of time. Getting information before your enemy wins wars. Who are fooling? This is like telling the guy who's using computer guided missile systems they have no advantage to a guy with a rocket launcher on his shoulder with a scope. 

Edited by Megrim3
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,720 posts
2 minutes ago, Megrim3 said:

Yea...and I like glass shards on my boxing gloves.  Because....glitter! 

False equivalencies are the best kind