Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
bguthery

Captain skills for Shimakaze?

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles

So I really love the stealth torpedo style of game play and was wondering what skills to get on my captain as I am planning on getting it to 19 points. Thanks in advance for the advice!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,005 posts
13,745 battles

My set up is

1  PT

2  LS, AR

3  TAE,  SE

4  CE,  RPF

Most skills pick themselves apart from RPF which some love and others don't see the point of.  For the shima due to the prevelance of radar and your detectability being average RPF gives a big advantage to avoiding contact. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles
7 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

My set up is

1  PT

2  LS, AR

3  TAE,  SE

4  CE,  RPF

Most skills pick themselves apart from RPF which some love and others don't see the point of.  For the shima due to the prevelance of radar and your detectability being average RPF gives a big advantage to avoiding contact. 

Thanks a lot! Mind giving me some basic Japanese DD tips?

[POP]
Members
1,236 posts
8,354 battles

Don't cap early. Don't fight for caps. In general, don't shoot guns. That being said, shooting at a BB whose guns are pointed away from you can be helpful and shoot if you find yourself in a knife-fight. But if you find yourself in a knife-fight you need to be asking how you allowed that to happen. 

Beta Testers
22 posts
290 battles

9 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

Don't cap early. Don't fight for caps. In general, don't shoot guns. That being said, shooting at a BB whose guns are pointed away from you can be helpful and shoot if you find yourself in a knife-fight. But if you find yourself in a knife-fight you need to be asking how you allowed that to happen. 

Really? All of the tips and vids I saw show Japanese capping first ><

Members
4,841 posts
5,599 battles
49 minutes ago, bguthery said:

Really? All of the tips and vids I saw show Japanese capping first ><

Well, both are right. IJN DDs have the best concealment(generally) tier for tier with their counterparts. So it's not a bad idea to poke a cap circle early game and possibly take it if it remains uncontested. However, as soon as another DD shows itself or starts contesting your capture, you should fall back to your support and have them push back in with you. Otherwise you'll be throwing away either HP or your ship early in the match. Of course, if the enemy DD has more support than you, it's a good idea to bail all together and stall that flank so they can't pincer you or the team.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,005 posts
13,745 battles

The most important thing in an IJN DD is to be flexible. There are lots of little tricks you will pick up over time.

• Capping wins games so it is important, but never fight another DD over one. Even a duel against another IJN DD will take most of your health. You can always come back once they have left.
  • Same with torping, remain patient and take good shots when the opportunity is there, never get frustrated and try to chase. 
  • Use your guns where the opportunity arises, where you can remian concealed in smoke or behind islands is ideal. You can get a good deal of damage out of them just dont knife fight DDs because the turret traverse is too slow.
  • Smoking your team mates is underated due to duration of smoke but it is still a benefit and a good tool to exploit.
  • Simply spotting for your team is beneficial so dont discount it simply because you dont benefit directly.

Youtubers to watch Flamu and Notser. They have some good game play with commentary about what they are doing and why.

Beta Testers
1,839 posts
10,762 battles

OP. Isn't it a bit early to worry about Shimakaze captain skills when you only just got Fubuki? Or do you have an alt account?

Anyhow. There are 2 types of targets best for torp runs:

1. A single big ship by herself. Out of position and no screen. It's either oblivious or distracted. We pray on the weak minded.
  2. A bunch of closely sailing big ships distracted by your big ships. They are focusing on bashing each other with your friendlies and often forget threat from torps. Time your release carefully so there would be multiple potential targets to hit in one salvo.

And of course there are alway potatoes playing with broken keyboards. But you can't tell until you hit them.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
351 posts
9,413 battles

I ran 3 setups for captain skills

Set 1 pewpew

PM, EM, LS, TAE, BFT, CE, IFHE

Shimakaze has decent guns just that turret rotation speed by default is pretty bad so EM makes up for it, and IFHE makes it so your HE has less of a chance to shatter/bounce  on other ships

Set 2 Support

PM,LS, SSE, TAE, BFT, CE, IFHE

Often I find people will crowd on you for smoke or you have to set up a screen and most of the time it doesn't block out the bb who trying to get behind it so if you want to be be more of a Utility role for the matches this works out.

or if your more selfish gives you more room to move around within the smoke for repositioning and dodging

Set 3 General play

PM, EM, LS, SSE, AR, TAE, BFT, CE

This is what I ran for awhile before IFHE got changed to 1% penalty for DD size guns, it comes with the great turret rotation from the 1st set and the bigger smoke from the 2nd set.

Honestly I didn't find AR too helpful but since your going to take damage sooner or later in a match, might as well benefit from it

Members
603 posts
7,116 battles

I recently moved my shima capt. to my Akatsuki, but they share the same build.

also, Akatsuki is the cloest preview of what Shimakaze play like, so I recommand you spend more time developing your play style at Akatsuki to prepare for Shimakaze.

here is my capt. skill

1. PT, PM

2. EM, LS

3. SE, BFT, SI

4. CE

as you can see, I spend no point on torp. 

for Akatsuki, you don't need it cos the reload is actually pretty good. Shimakaze, however, is pretter bad. so you may want to give up a 3 points skill for the torp reload.

playstyle of my build:

it gives you decent fire power against destroyer. play smart, and you can kill most USN DD, greatly damage KM DD, and sometimes able to kill russian DD (make sure to avoid the Khaba until no choice)

It also give you better survival from SE and LS if you have good situation awareness. (it works for me and I have 70+% survival for all tier 7+ IJN DD except Akizuki with 67%)

short side of my build:

you are stuck with the stock torp reload and can only benifit from modules (yugumo, Shimakaze)

Tip for Akatsuki and Shimakaze

both have good speed but meh concealment in their own tier. developing good situation awareness is a must.

again....developing ability to predict enemy movement, as you don't have good torp reload and you want to make those torp count.

start to remember the speed of your enemy so you have a better lead when you do fire your guns. (all my IJN DD have 47-53% gun accuracy, and it is very important to fight off enemy DD with higher rate of fire)

also..I do recommand going into cap early game, but make sure you have an escape route in case you got focus.

try to avoid places with lots of tiny island.  IJN DD generally don't handle very well in close range engagement. stay in a rather open area with only a few island to get full advantage of your concealment. the worst case is a non IJN DD pop up only 3 km away behind an island and your guns aren't pointing at him.

[CVA16]
Members
2,316 posts
9,900 battles
7 hours ago, SkyRail said:

the worst case is a non IJN DD pop up only 3 km away behind an island and your guns aren't pointing at him.

Of course that is mitigated a bit if you take RPF.

I find IJN DD operations around small islands additionally frustrating as it seems there is always an island blocking where you want to aim  your torps.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,355 battles

With everything new that WoW is bringing to their wonderful and exciting game, it should surprise no one that some new Captains skills are also in the works. Here are just some that might help OP in his quest to be the King of the Shimmy's!

Level One: Holy Crap. Holy Crap is a skill designed for players who get a good look at the enemy team and fill their drawers. Every time a player sees a ship that frightens him, he utters "Holy Crap!" and his detection automatically lowers by 0.1 K. One captain, playing through Tirpitz weekend and confronted by a match where he faced 11 Tirps and a Khab, actually "Holy Crap'ed" himself into being invisible for a month. 

Level Two: It's Only Me! It's Only Me is a skill for players who have hidden most of the game and now realize that they have not only run out of hiding places, but the reds aren't even trying to cap.  The skill allows a captain to shoot off all his ordinance at once when he finds himself targeted by 5 or 6 red ships, which produces an explosion so big even detonations are impressed.

Level Two: I Hit It! I Hit It allows a Captain to boost his hit ratio by actually hitting something once. This generates a feeling of "WOO-HOO!" in the ships gunners, and their accuracy goes up 75% because they quit drinking and are actually looking at what they are shooting at.

Level Three: PackRat. PackRat allows a captain to use any ordinance from any ship he has commanded in the past, because he stashed some away and brought it with him. Captain automatically gets the best detection range, best firing range, quickest reload, best alpha damage, best fire chance, well, you get the point.

Level Three: There They Are! There They Are is a skill which makes all crew line up on the sides of the ship and look for torpedoes. For every set of eyes looking torpedo detection becomes a half kilometer better, eventually spotting torpedoes on the next map.

Level Four: Don't See Me! Don't See Me gives the captain an extra kilometer of detection range every time he says "don't see me" out loud while dancing the watusi wearing a Nehru jacket under a full moon. Some users have experienced implementation issues.

Level Four: I'll Tell! I'll Tell is a skill which allows the captain to bribe players on the red team into snitching out their teammates for some quick free XP. Comes with a largish box filled with dirty gold and filthy money, carried by a gaggle of prostitutes.

Learn to use these new skills and you will become a Captain Of Renown!! (as soon as they get Renown into the game)

Sign in to follow this