Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GrimmeReaper

Fletcher vs Gearing

17 comments in this topic

[TBOW]
Members
1,245 posts
10,648 battles

Guys a question, I am now the proud owner of the Gearing, except I think I like the Fletcher better.  Also do you run the speed boost on the Gearing (what my preference I think will be) or do you run the DFAA?  TY for your thoughts.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
372 posts
4,621 battles

I run DFAA on all my USN DDs that can use it. 

• Cool 1

[TF-64]
Members
372 posts
12,774 battles

I run DF on both gearing and Fletcher. Kept both too because both are different but fun. A lot think the Fletcher is way better than the gearing. You won't always like the next ship more. 

Edited by Slightlyaskewed
As to why run DF, it isn't just to shoot down CV planes. Sometimes taking out a spotter or ships fighter quickly to blind him is very much worth it.
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,828 posts
11,513 battles

They are pretty different boats really. I even use different captain builds.  I do run the speed boost as it's more useful, not that many t10 CVs plus I am not AA spec anyways. Unless your gonna AA spec I would stick to the speed boost.  I do recommend the torp speed captain skill, it makes your torps 13.2 km and like 72knots.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Members
3,349 posts
12,079 battles

On the other hand, I never run defensive AA. I use smoke and speed boost. I only turn on AA when supporting others if am near or when there is only aircraft able to get me.

And I think the Fletcher is better than Gearing.

• Cool 1

[APOC_]
Members
910 posts
6,146 battles

The Gearing was a cast iron [edited] for me to get the hang of. I was, and still am, exceptional in the Fletcher, but the Gearing took me a solid 30-40 games to really get proficient with it. It handles differently, it fights differently, and it excels at different things than the Fletch. Give it some time, and understand you're not just driving a super-sized Fletcher. It'll come together. 

• Cool 2

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles

The Gearing's guns are really a huge plus from the Fletch. Now, I have always felt that both are too sluggish compared to the Benson. They turn poorly and seem to drift when dodging torps. Agility was really what convince me that the Benson was an amazing DD. Both Fletch and Gearing lost that.

I do not believe in DF for DDs. If a CV is after you, he will kill you whether you have DF or not. Also, DF is situational. Only works if a CV is around. The speed boost is usable in all games, and it is a valuable tool to dodge torps that would usually hit.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
2,252 posts
6,298 battles

Personally i could never really get used to the fletcher.... i was above average in it but always felt awkward. I feel much more comfortable in Gearing with the faster, longer range torps and the guns carry that bit more punch for me.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
1 hour ago, gcangel82 said:

I am now the proud owner of the Gearing, except I think I like the Fletcher better.

Welcome to a very big club; membership is ... amusing.

@Slightlyaskewed is right on the money when he says these are different boats. Fletcher, which in my opinion most resembles Z-46, is like a deep ocean fleet destroyer, where Gearing comes off, to me at least, as more of a support/AA DD that would be less likely to operate alone in say a scouting role. Nobody has any problems imagining a Fletcher out in front of the fleet scouting the way and keeping vigil.

and a lot of really talented players feel Fletcher is the DD others are measured against; for some good reasons.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,340 posts
14,832 battles
1 hour ago, PicknChew said:

DF is situational. Only works if a CV is around. The speed boost is usable in all games, and it is a valuable tool to dodge torps that would usually hit.

This :Smile_great:

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles
1 hour ago, gcangel82 said:

Guys a question, I am now the proud owner of the Gearing, except I think I like the Fletcher better.  Also do you run the speed boost on the Gearing (what my preference I think will be) or do you run the DFAA?  TY for your thoughts.

I always run DF AA. 

You can work around speed boost. DF AA is invaluable even if its for that 1 out of 20. 

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,492 battles

I'm still trying to figure out the Gearing.  It does feel a lot like what it was in CBT, and at that time I did find the Fletcher was more fun than the Gearing.

As for DF, I rarely play anti-air.  It's a wasted slot more often than not when you encounter CV's only 25% of the time.

Beta Testers
1,195 posts
6,144 battles

It took me a few games to really accept that playing the Gearing like the Fletcher is just going to continue to get me killed. I'm of the opinion that the Fletcher is a better DD because of it's flexibility, while the Gearing is limited in aggression and forced to be a lot more careful of where it chooses to fight. 

The Gearing is a decent ship, but the absolute worst downside it has is that it comes after the Fletcher.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,012 posts
8,229 battles

DF is useless ~90% of the time on US DDs. The CV will simply bait it or ignore you in favor of other targets.

Plus, given my planes' speed and the limited AA reach on Fletcher/Gearing, it's easy to get out of range in no time.

Any Gearing or Fletcher with 41 AA rating, I know he carries DF. Do yourself a favor and take the speed boost, as generally it finds more use. Very rarely will you get a chance to use DF anyway, and save for a few difficult scenarios, having DF to protect a BB is not going to make a difference in winning or losing.

[TF-64]
Members
372 posts
12,774 battles

DF isn't only for CVs. I use it to swat spotter/fighters from BBs and cruisers just as much. And it really hurts those BBs that know how to use the spotter. This allows you to use an island to ambush. Yeah he knows your there but he can't see you. After the kill, switch which side of the island you are going to pop out from and catch him looking the wrong way. Or you just keep him distracted and let your team pound him. 

Also I kept bothy Fletcher and Gearing set up as gunboats. Even after the owsf Nerf I find I use my guns a lot on both of them. But I did get rid of aft on them. 

Edited by Slightlyaskewed

[OSG]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
14,793 battles

I run AA on my Fletcher and never bought the Gearing (I've played it many times on the test server though).  I use the AA to get any planes away from me since with 5.8 km concealment the Fletcher can be set up to be an excellent torpedo boat with guns that are fine for protection as well as for finishing off enemies.  With the full torpedo build, you get to launch 10 fairly high speed and fairly low visibility torps that go 10.5km every 81 seconds, which is far faster than the Gearing can do even with the same build.  I would guess most run the Gearing as a gun boat given it's torps load so slow.  I think the Fletcher's torps and it's stealth are a lot more fun than trying to use the "floaty" shells of the Gearing.  So I prefer the Fletcher with the AA build over any build on the Gearing, plus you get one tier lower MM.

Sign in to follow this