Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

Help me Understand British Cruisers

29 comments in this topic

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,193 battles

It seems doesn't matter what I do. It's just not enough to win a game in Neptune or Edinburgh. I'm definitely not farming damage on BBs, as seen by average experience. I'm definitely killing things, as seen by average kills and k/d ratio. Am I just getting crapped on by a series of unfortunate games? I can understand why certain people only touched British cruisers then decide to not play the line. The ship is a bit fragile and sometimes can't make a bold move to carry the day as others. But still... 

neptune.png

The ship can do great things. But it just feels so powerless on influencing the flow of the match sometimes.

Edited by NeutralState

Members
564 posts
2,102 battles

A few bad tilts can screw up your individual wr in a given ship. You should give it till 100 games to truly average out. However it just could be a cursed ship those happened to me in wot.

Edited by Krupp_Sabot

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles

well...have you try to actually farm some damage off BBs?

my suspicion is that you are wasting too much time on DDs you cant hit(27% MBH i consider low), and wasting your salvos as a result

why dont you try a few games where you switch target onto BBs once DDs get outside your accurate shooting range(let it be 6 or 8 or 10km), and see how things go?

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,834 battles

@NeutralState Wins/Losses can come in streaks.

A few factors:

Tier 9 can be a tough place for any cruiser (you see tier X a lot)

RN CLs rely on smoke which can be thwarted by the long range radar at tier IX and X

Many BB players at tier IX and X know how to use a spotter plane to shoot in smoke

Keep your head up and the wins will come. I am an above average player and I started last night with 7 straight losses... streaks happen.

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,851 battles

Im falling in love with them, from fiji upwards. Now playing a lot with Neptune and Minotaur... treat them as DD leaders, your job is to HIDE and make a lot of damage with those torps and guns. DPM is huge, AA is brutal if used well, but you are extremely fragile. A big overpowered DD (minotaur has 10 km torps and 8.9 spotting, so can stealth torp)

And beware radars, stay always close to islands and use sonar to avoid the torps into you.ç

Different playstyle but very rewarding when used properly

[POP]
Members
173 posts
5,362 battles

HMS Cruisers are my favorite line in the entire game.  (I do love the Russian cruisers as well).  I can deal with the weak guns as long as long as I can hide and torp and heal.

Like Fastwolf said.  Also, never be the closest thing to the enemy.  

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,193 battles
26 minutes ago, Fastwolf66 said:

Im falling in love with them, from fiji upwards. Now playing a lot with Neptune and Minotaur... treat them as DD leaders, your job is to HIDE and make a lot of damage with those torps and guns. DPM is huge, AA is brutal if used well, but you are extremely fragile. A big overpowered DD (minotaur has 10 km torps and 8.9 spotting, so can stealth torp)

And beware radars, stay always close to islands and use sonar to avoid the torps into you.ç

It's a great line. Excellent gun handling, great acceleration, great torpedoes, stealthy as a DD (almost). If the win rate in Neptune is not so low. I'd say it's the most comfy line of ship to play.

[CUTER]
Members
702 posts
19,079 battles

Smoke is not cover...it is concealment.  You have a massive citadel.  The enemy will look for you, they will find you, and they will sink you.

Carry harder.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,193 battles
4 minutes ago, KongoPride said:

Smoke is not cover...it is concealment.  You have a massive citadel.  The enemy will look for you, they will find you, and they will sink you.

Carry harder.

I don't die to that.

[SYN]
Members
14,461 posts
10,475 battles

I played Neptune like the other RNCL and I have almost the exact opposite of your results.

I think the key is to camp a vital area that denies the reds from advancing without taking severe punishment from Neptune's guns.

And yes, killing DDs is key, but farming damage works just as well too.

Edited by MrDeaf

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,193 battles
2 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

I played Neptune like the other RNCL and I have almost the exact opposite of your results.

I think the key is to camp a vital area that denies the reds from advancing without taking severe punishment from Neptune's guns.

And yes, killing DDs is key, but farming damage works just as well too.

That's what I do. The damage sort of farms it self if the ship's parked right. Problem, it seems, is that even though the ship can do a lot of damage. It doesn't do enough of it in bursts. So if the enemy actually pushes. It doesn't have enough power to stop anyone. In order to use torpedoes, the ship has to orientate itself in a way that exposes too much broadside. The ship also can't kite because anything can pen it from butt to head. 

So basically Neptune has to fight from cover to cover. It's all fine if the flank is winning. But if there's a DD or any other ship that out flanks the Neptune and makes covers unsafe, then the ship's completely powerless due to how fragile it is and has to run. For example, if a DD moves pass the front line to the flank, and Neptune wants to smoke. The DD can easily force the Neptune out of smoke with a salvo of torps. 

Too situational for random battle. 

[SYN]
Members
14,461 posts
10,475 battles
26 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

That's what I do. The damage sort of farms it self if the ship's parked right. Problem, it seems, is that even though the ship can do a lot of damage. It doesn't do enough of it in bursts. So if the enemy actually pushes. It doesn't have enough power to stop anyone. In order to use torpedoes, the ship has to orientate itself in a way that exposes too much broadside. The ship also can't kite because anything can pen it from butt to head. 

So basically Neptune has to fight from cover to cover. It's all fine if the flank is winning. But if there's a DD or any other ship that out flanks the Neptune and makes covers unsafe, then the ship's completely powerless due to how fragile it is and has to run. For example, if a DD moves pass the front line to the flank, and Neptune wants to smoke. The DD can easily force the Neptune out of smoke with a salvo of torps. 

Too situational for random battle. 

which is why you have to nuke the DDs with prejudice.

and yeah, Neptune has a bit of an issue getting in close, thanks to bad concealment.

Edited by MrDeaf

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,193 battles

Clawed the win rate back from the depth of hell. Turns out the secret to winning in Neptune is not to play during prime time against win rate farming divisions. Win rate in Neptune outside 3 pm to 10 pm is twice as high as during prime time.

neptun2e.png

overcome.jpg

Edited by NeutralState

Beta Testers
1,418 posts

Neptune only has 2 viable builds and means of play imo:

1- AA: It has insane, monster AA when spec'd and kitted. I've had tier 10 CVs lose all their planes before they even reached my ship. Having 2 sets of long range guns that 2x damage via manual AA is godlike. Vs other ships you're limited to hopping from cover to cover and hitting whatever you can.

Hint: Equip radar if you want to be placed in CV battles. Somehow the smoke makes your MM not put you in CV fights..but radar? Oh, you get them all the time. So learn to team up with a DD or jump from their smoke and cover and back. Shooting down planes gives good xp and credits too.

2- Rainmaker: Equip long range modules and shoot out to 17km. Rain lead on battleships and what not.

I actually enjoyed the Neptune more than I enjoy the Minotaur now. Mino is a 1 trick pony and its AA is not even comparable to Neptune's.

[SF-E]
Members
523 posts
6,450 battles

Same thing happened to me on the t9 German BB.  Great individual stats, I didn't snipe, but also didn't push in suicidal aggressive.  I followed and supported DDs on caps....  and then my win rate ended up being somewhere around 15% after the first 20 games.

Like you, I managed to claw back up to 50%, but I swear that ship is cursed.  I never want to use it again.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,193 battles
1 hour ago, Tembin said:

Same thing happened to me on the t9 German BB.  Great individual stats, I didn't snipe, but also didn't push in suicidal aggressive.  I followed and supported DDs on caps....  and then my win rate ended up being somewhere around 15% after the first 20 games.

Like you, I managed to claw back up to 50%, but I swear that ship is cursed.  I never want to use it again.

Some boats just suck really bad. T9 ships in general suffers from MM.

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
335 posts
7,136 battles
On 10/04/2017 at 1:07 PM, NeutralState said:

It seems doesn't matter what I do. It's just not enough to win a game in Neptune or Edinburgh. I'm definitely not farming damage on BBs, as seen by average experience. I'm definitely killing things, as seen by average kills and k/d ratio. Am I just getting crapped on by a series of unfortunate games? I can understand why certain people only touched British cruisers then decide to not play the line. The ship is a bit fragile and sometimes can't make a bold move to carry the day as others. But still... 

neptune.png

The ship can do great things. But it just feels so powerless on influencing the flow of the match sometimes.

Lol it sounds like me and my Hindburge.  Did well in my roon but for the life of me I can't get wins on the hindenburg for the life of me.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,193 battles
17 hours ago, DeadIyArT said:

Lol it sounds like me and my Hindburge.  Did well in my roon but for the life of me I can't get wins on the hindenburg for the life of me.

sometimes you just can't get a break 

Members
154 posts
9,464 battles
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, NeutralState said:

It's a great line. Excellent gun handling, great acceleration, great torpedoes, stealthy as a DD (almost). If the win rate in Neptune is not so low. I'd say it's the most comfy line of ship to play.

Huh?  What other version of these ships do you play?  Because the ones everyone else plays have TERRIBLE acceleration and braking.  

Win rate in Neptune is low because the ship sucks.  No range, guns don't do much damage when they do hit, mediocre handling, aforementioned terrible braking/acceleration, and top it off with the entire ship being a citadel.   Good ROF, but when you only do a couple hundred damage per hit, that's small compensation.  

I'm most of the way to Minotaur, and still hating it.  It's a hugely frustrating ship to play.  At best, you seem to have to work very hard to get into position to do any damage, but you have to be uber careful, because if you are ever shot at, you get wrecked instantly.  It makes Atlanta look like a floating fortress, but plays 2 tiers higher.

Members
154 posts
9,464 battles
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, Slick_Komodo said:

Carry harder.

Hahahaha!  They don't even need a very particular set of skills.  Just guns, which all ships have.  Neptune hates being shot back at.

[WOLF2]
Members
898 posts
7,289 battles
On 10/4/2017 at 3:34 PM, Fastwolf66 said:

Agreed.  I use mine pretty aggressively for supporting my DDs going into a cap.   Find some cover from the big guns, and ready mine for the DDs contesting the caps.   RPF helps to see the likely vector they'll be coming in from.   Rate of fire will allow quick hits, and get the DD to run, or better, get him injured badly and then quickly disposed.     Smoke is great for those BBs that venture from cover.   With a 10km detection on my Neptune, get those BBs in the open, smoke and release those marshmallow rounds!     Cruise back and forth in the smoke to make their firing guesstimates wrong.    Throw some torps.

That said, I wrack up average damage.   Some great games happen too.   XP average is usually higher, since I'm primarily working against DDs.   Once the DDs are addressed, it goes towards damage gathering on cruisers and BBs.

I am up to Neptune on the grind.   It doesn't click as well as Edinburgh did.   I still faced the T9/T10s in the Edinburgh, but the shots seemed truer, especially with DD targeting.    I still like the overall line, and look forward to seeing what Minotaur plays like.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,193 battles
1 hour ago, DrunkenSailor63 said:

Huh?  What other version of these ships do you play?  Because the ones everyone else plays have TERRIBLE acceleration and braking.  

Win rate in Neptune is low because the ship sucks.  No range, guns don't do much damage when they do hit, mediocre handling, aforementioned terrible braking/acceleration, and top it off with the entire ship being a citadel.   Good ROF, but when you only do a couple hundred damage per hit, that's small compensation.  

I'm most of the way to Minotaur, and still hating it.  It's a hugely frustrating ship to play.  At best, you seem to have to work very hard to get into position to do any damage, but you have to be uber careful, because if you are ever shot at, you get wrecked instantly.  It makes Atlanta look like a floating fortress, but plays 2 tiers higher.

British cruisers are known for great accelerations... what ships are you playing?

Minotaur wise, the ship just feels much better than Neptune (stat websites are bonkers, pretty sure I have more than 26 games in Mino). 

2 Minotaur   Minotaur 10 U.K. 26 61.54% 2 110 101 906 1.35 1.54 Details

The 16 torps on Minotaur and the very good camo makes Minotaur really deadly later half of any match. No cruisers can match her firepower and no BBs can spot her.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,038 posts
On 10/4/2017 at 4:29 PM, _Big_Lou_ said:

@NeutralState Wins/Losses can come in streaks.

Many BB players at tier IX and X know how to use a spotter plane to shoot in smoke

how?

Sign in to follow this